Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Vapor phase degreaser

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Vapor phase degreaser

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-13, 05:21 PM
EhGiOeS

Bikes: C 93 Colnago Early 70's Colnago Sport Mid 80's I think East German National Team Bike "77" Gios Super Record Early "90's" Contini GOIDESIGN Early 90's Contini Reynolds 501 oval tube tourer 70's J van Staeyen Flemish Club bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Vapor phase degreaser

Just wondering is anybody using a vapor phase degreaser? Ed
Old 02-13-13, 06:05 PM
Airburst

Location: England, currently dividing my time between university in Guildford and home just outside Reading

Bikes: Too many to list here!

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
The idea of inhaling anything designed to remove grease doesn't appeal to me, and I doubt it appeals to many people either...
Old 02-13-13, 06:14 PM
lineinthewater

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Airburst
The idea of inhaling anything designed to remove grease doesn't appeal to me, and I doubt it appeals to many people either...
It's good when that cold gets stuck in your chest.
Old 02-13-13, 06:31 PM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts
Actually when operated correctly the vapor phase degreaser doesn't allow vapors to escape. They condense on a cold coil located around the top of the tank and flow back into the boiling liquid reservoir.
Old 02-13-13, 06:40 PM
lineinthewater

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by EhGiOeS
Just curious, admittedly not knowing anything about vapor degreasers, what do you want to use it on?
Old 02-13-13, 06:59 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5787 Post(s)
Liked 2,580 Times in 1,430 Posts
I used to use a vapor degreaser to clean parts back when I was running a decent size shop (not bike shop). It was economical and eddective using halogenated solvents, but when the restrictions on CFCs went in to effective, the cost of solvents got too high, and I phased out it's use.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 02-13-13, 07:13 PM
EhGiOeS

Bikes: C 93 Colnago Early 70's Colnago Sport Mid 80's I think East German National Team Bike "77" Gios Super Record Early "90's" Contini GOIDESIGN Early 90's Contini Reynolds 501 oval tube tourer 70's J van Staeyen Flemish Club bike

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Airburst
One of the great joys of the internet is to be attacked by someone who has no idea what they're talking about. In this case and not being British but one of the lesser races we very seldom put bike parts up our noses to clean them. There are only two types of people in the world. Those who are British, and eternally blessed, and those who wish vainly they were. Ed
Old 02-13-13, 07:16 PM
EhGiOeS

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by lineinthewater
Just curious, admittedly not knowing anything about vapor degreasers, what do you want to use it on?
Just general bike parts. Back in the day you could make one for a few dollars worked great. Ed
Old 02-13-13, 07:48 PM
lineinthewater

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Just general bike parts. Back in the day you could make one for a few dollars worked great. Ed
After reading a bunch of threads, I've been experimenting with the ultrasonic cleaners. I'm fairly impressed. 3 times through the longest timed phase, and my chain is very clean - most importantly between the links. Don't know if that would meet your needs, just throwing it out there.
Old 02-13-13, 09:33 PM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 742 Posts
Years ago when I was working a summer job at a laboratory we had a vapor phase degreaser that used trichloroethane as the cleaning solvent. I vividly remember accidently sticking my hand below the cooling coil and right into the hot vapors. WOW, did my had get dried and "degreased" fast! I never made that mistake again.
Old 02-14-13, 12:03 AM
onespeedbiker
Retro Grouch

Bikes: Yes

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by HillRider
Years ago when I was working a summer job at a laboratory we had a vapor phase degreaser that used trichloroethane as the cleaning solvent. I vividly remember accidently sticking my hand below the cooling coil and right into the hot vapors. WOW, did my had get dried and "degreased" fast! I never made that mistake again.
I worked at my Dad's enameling shop for about 10 years. There we had a vapor degreaser that was about 4'x10'x 8' deep. It was always a bit unnerving looking down into that tank when the vapor was up to the coils. As more and more grease contaminated the Trichlore the temp to vaporize the Trichlore would rise and there was a acrid odor I can still smell 30 years later..thanks for reminding me.

Last edited by onespeedbiker; 02-14-13 at 12:06 AM.
Old 02-14-13, 12:53 AM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26419 Post(s)
Liked 10,380 Times in 7,208 Posts
Set phase cannon to vaporize and all ahead warp nine............
Old 02-14-13, 12:57 AM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Originally Posted by FBinNY
when the restrictions on CFCs went in to effective, the cost of solvents got too high, and I phased out it's use.
I think you'll find this to be the case still..........at least it is this way in California

we very seldom put bike parts up our noses to clean them.
Speak for yourself, you do not speak for me.
Old 02-14-13, 05:41 AM
EhGiOeS

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by lineinthewater
After reading a bunch of threads, I've been experimenting with the ultrasonic cleaners. I'm fairly impressed. 3 times through the longest timed phase, and my chain is very clean - most importantly between the links. Don't know if that would meet your needs, just throwing it out there.
I think for anyone who is serious about bike maintenance a ultrasonic cleaner is very important. Nothing will clean a chain like UC. If you have a heated bathit also doubles as a Sous Vide cooker. Ed
Old 02-14-13, 06:38 AM
EhGiOeS

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 3alarmer
Set phase cannon to vaporize and all ahead warp nine............
What a brilliant insight. Its people like you that make the forum so exciting. Keep up the good work. You've got a fan here. Ed
Old 02-14-13, 07:46 AM
EhGiOeS

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
[QUOTE=FBinNY;15271142]I used to use a vapor degreaser to clean parts back when I was running a decent size shop (not bike shop). It was economical and eddective using halogenated solvents, but when the restrictions on CFCs went in to effective, the cost of solvents got too high, and I phased out
I think a small homemade degreaser would be useful, Say a 2 or 3 gallon can with a half gallon of solvent. Ed
Old 02-14-13, 09:31 AM
Looigi

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts
The benefit of vapor degreasers is that they continually distill the solvent so the solvent applied to the part being cleaned, and subsequent vapor that condenses on the part being cleaned is free of contaminants allowing the part essentially free of any grease or lube. For bike parts, IMO, this level of cleanliness is not required or not necessarily that desirable.
Old 02-14-13, 11:15 AM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

What a brilliant insight. Its people like you that make the forum so exciting. Keep up the good work. You've got a fan here. Ed
Thank you.................................subjects like yours bring out my best.
Old 02-14-13, 11:44 AM
gmt13
Half way there

Bikes: 69 Hercules, 73 Raleigh Sports, 74 Raliegh Competition, 78 Nishiki Professional, 79 Nishiki International, 83 Colnago Super, 83 Viner Junior

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I have seen many of these in industrial settings and have always been impressed with their performance. I would use one if I had access to one, but wouldn't think it cost effective to acquire one just for bike stuff.

-G
Old 02-14-13, 04:20 PM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts
"I think a small homemade degreaser would be useful, Say a 2 or 3 gallon can with a half gallon of solvent."

Vapor degreasers are fairly complicated to operate properly; the amount of heat in the boiling sump and the cooling coils need to be fairly closely controlled to maintain the vapor blanket and to avoid vapor loss. This would be more problematic in a small system like you propose.
Old 02-14-13, 04:37 PM
EhGiOeS

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by dsbrantjr
"I think a small homemade degreaser would be useful, Say a 2 or 3 gallon can with a half gallon of solvent."

Vapor degreasers are fairly complicated to operate properly; the amount of heat in the boiling sump and the cooling coils need to be fairly closely controlled to maintain the vapor blanket and to avoid vapor loss. This would be more problematic in a small system like you propose.
I used one for years, Just a can hot plate and a flat coil of copper tubing. If vapor starts escaping you just increase the water flow. Ed
Old 02-14-13, 05:54 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

I used one for years, Just a can hot plate and a flat coil of copper tubing. If vapor starts escaping you just increase the water flow. Ed
Dear Ed:

This explains a lot. Thanks.
Old 02-14-13, 06:37 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5787 Post(s)
Liked 2,580 Times in 1,430 Posts
I think a small homemade degreaser would be useful, Say a 2 or 3 gallon can with a half gallon of solvent. Ed
The problem isn't building a small DIY unit. It's the acvailability of decent non-flammable solvents. With the phase out of the halogenated solvents (contain chlorine, or fluorine) most of the reasonable priced solvents are flammable. That's OK with a well built well run commercial unit, but makes running anything that vaporizes solvents hazardous unless the vapors are 100% contained.

For home use on bike parts, a coffee can and solvent such as mineral spirits or naphtha work very effectively with a few rinses. The solvent can be recovered and stored in a closed container.

The solid dirt will settle out in a few days and the solvent reused, though eventually it loses effectiveness as it gets contaminated with oil. I keep used solvent in two classes, pretty oily for the the first wash, slightly oily for rinses, and I use fresh for the final rinse. As the solvents get oilier, I'll settle then discard the oiliest into my #2 fuel tank, and move each batch down.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 02-14-13, 07:36 PM
onespeedbiker
Retro Grouch

Bikes: Yes

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by FBinNY
The problem isn't building a small DIY unit. It's the availability of decent non-flammable solvents. With the phase out of the halogenated solvents (contain chlorine, or fluorine) most of the reasonable priced solvents are flammable. That's OK with a well built well run commercial unit, but makes running anything that vaporizes solvents hazardous unless the vapors are 100% contained.

For home use on bike parts, a coffee can and solvent such as mineral spirits or naphtha work very effectively with a few rinses. The solvent can be recovered and stored in a closed container.

The solid dirt will settle out in a few days and the solvent reused, though eventually it loses effectiveness as it gets contaminated with oil. I keep used solvent in two classes, pretty oily for the the first wash, slightly oily for rinses, and I use fresh for the final rinse. As the solvents get oilier, I'll settle then discard the oiliest into my #2 fuel tank, and move each batch down.
BTW, while halogenated solvents are not flammable, when the get contaminated with oil it burns like crazy. I remember one time I was dipping some oily screens in some cold solvent prior to putting them into the hot tank. When attempted to pour the solvent back in the big tank, the tray slipped out of my hands and the solvent went down the side of the degreaser where the gas jets were that heated the solvent. My first though was, well it's not like it's flammable, that was until large yellow smokey flames came billowing from under the unit. Fortunately it did no real harm but it was a teachable moment.
Old 02-14-13, 07:38 PM
EhGiOeS

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
A small unit is not going to use much solvent. For most of us a gallon would be a lifetime supply. I've got a 11/2 gallon Branson ultrasonic cleaner that works very well. I just like trying different things. Ed