Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Commuter Bicycle Pics

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Commuter Bicycle Pics

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-12, 06:27 AM
psy

Bikes: Salsa Fargo commuter,Litespeed Ocoee titanium mountain bike cannondale caad9 105 road bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
speedplay drillium.i got mine at endless cycles in castro valley but you can find them online for around 75 bucks or so.i got them for winter riding in my waterproof wolverines..nice fat platform works great in boots.
Old 11-01-12, 10:43 AM
kookaburra1701

Bikes: 2014 Specialized Dolce Triple, 1987 Schwinn Tempo, 2012 Windsor Kensington 8

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tractorlegs
I like your platforms, what are they and where available? Big tall folks like me would love that large pedal
have you tried the MKS Lambda pedals?
Old 11-01-12, 11:29 AM
AbundantChoice

Bikes: modified Worksman

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by kookaburra1701
have you tried the MKS Lambda pedals?
I was about to say the same thing; I have massive clodhopper feet and I love the MKS Lambdas. They're super-long, but not crazy wide. I added some pedal spacers to move 'em out a half-inch, and they are *perfect*
Old 11-04-12, 08:12 PM
globie

Bikes: 2011 Surly LHT, 2007 Specialized Roubaix, 2004 Giant Cypress, 1990 Simoncini Super Professional

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
First wash today. Wiped off 3,000 miles of road grime.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
003.jpg (99.9 KB, 297 views)
006.jpg (101.5 KB, 214 views)
007.jpg (100.4 KB, 210 views)

Last edited by globie; 11-04-12 at 08:12 PM. Reason: typo
Old 11-04-12, 08:26 PM
stedanrac
Back to Biking

Bikes: Surley LHT, Salsa Casseroll, Vintage Trek 830 MTB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by psy
speedplay drillium.i got mine at endless cycles in castro valley but you can find them online for around 75 bucks or so.i got them for winter riding in my waterproof wolverines..nice fat platform works great in boots.
Hey Psy, I have those same pedals on my commuter... they were a recommendation of a great LBS; Cyclepath in Hayward. Any chance Jeff Moore moved over to Castro Valley after the Hayward shop closed down?
Old 11-04-12, 08:26 PM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Bikes: See my sig...

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 96 Posts
With winter upon us it is time to break out the winter weapons for my rides to and from the bike co-op and to get me around in the snow and ice...

The Norco is my ice bike and dedicated winter bike...the studded tyres never come off.

The extrabike is my pickup truck through all seasons but an excellent winter machine due it incredible stability and load carrying abilities... this will be it's 5th winter season.

New for 2012... and it won't be this clean again until spring.

The Pug is the best snow bike and will let me play in the river valley on the trails when other bikes would be wallowing.
Old 11-04-12, 09:25 PM
harshbarj

Bikes: Trek Belleville, Workcycles opa, Schwinn

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by scroca
I like a lot about your bike. I'm fascinated with the basket. I like where your cable lock is.

And what is that attached to the seat stays near the Giant decal -- is it locking the rear wheel?
That is a frame lock, or a o-lock. It locks the rear wheel to the bike and makes running into a shop quick. I also can quickly wrap the cable lock around something to make it even safer. When I get a new o-lock I plan on getting one with an integrated cable to make things even simpler.

Originally Posted by scroca
But I really can't take my eyes off those loose wires. Aren't they a problem? Is there enough play for the one that runs up from the fork to get sucked into the spokes on a windy day?
The wires bother me, but are never a problem. The main one is for the now non-working bicycle computer. No idea whats wrong, so I plan on taking it off. Not that I really have to know my speed. The other is the shifter and I plan on tying that down before winter sets in. It's never a problem, but I just don't want to chance it.
Old 11-04-12, 09:35 PM
IthaDan 

Bikes: Click on the #YOLO

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Sixty Fiver

The Pug is the best snow bike and will let me play in the river valley on the trails when other bikes would be wallowing.
I want one of these in the worst way. Love the freewheel up front.

Shimano : Click :: Campy : Snap :: SRAM : Bang
Old 11-04-12, 09:41 PM
RunningPirate

Bikes: 1970? Dawes Galaxy (cannibalized), 197? Bob Jackson Frankenbike, 1989 Jamis Diablo

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by psy
Very nice - I like the reflective tape on the spokes - might do that with my commuter...The pedals are cool, too (never thought I'd say that about pedals, but there you go...)

Now - how bad are the winters in the East Bay that you need Waterproof Woverines?
Old 11-04-12, 09:44 PM
canyoneagle

Bikes: Vassago Moosknuckle Ti 29+ XTR, 90's Merckx Corsa-01 9sp Record, PROJECT: 1954 Frejus SuperCorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked 157 Times in 75 Posts

I've REALLY got the itch for a fat bike.
Now you've gone and posted yet another of your impressive stable, and it is a fat bike at that. Sixty, you'll get me into alot of trouble with this!
Old 11-04-12, 10:24 PM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Originally Posted by IthaDan
I want one of these in the worst way. Love the freewheel up front.
I think the Pug is the best fat tyre bike Surly offers if you are looking for a versatile bike, the wheels are swappable front to back and it can be run as a 29'r on 50mm rims instead of the 100mm rims and can run even fatter tyres... the Moonlander and Necromancer cannot do this and the Moonlander has some model specific parts.

The front wheel was the back wheel when I received the bike and the ACS freewheel up front is nothing compared to the White Industries freewheel I am now running off the back... I am putting in an order for a new rear wheel so I can run an 8 speed cassette and then the WI freewheel will become my backup and will still have the ability to swap things to run it as an SS.

The three by one drive works pretty well and with the tyres inflated to 21 psi the rollout is amazingly good... for serious off road I can run them down to 10 psi and they will run as high as 30 psi but cannot see me doing that.

Have added a front spray shield and a rat tail off the back to keep the spray off as it has been very wet and am on the fence going with full fenders as this would not work for off roading.

One thing that the Pug and fat tyre bikes do not excel at is riding on slick ice... the contact pressure is very low but with that being said they recover well because of their wide footprint.

Last edited by Sixty Fiver; 11-04-12 at 10:27 PM.
Old 11-04-12, 11:07 PM
mnor

Bikes: none yet

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My new ride

This is my bike that I use for commutes around town. Changed out the seat for something a little bit bigger/softer. Very quiet ride with the gates belt.
Attached Images
my ride.jpg (100.3 KB, 209 views)
Old 11-04-12, 11:12 PM
canyoneagle

Bikes: Vassago Moosknuckle Ti 29+ XTR, 90's Merckx Corsa-01 9sp Record, PROJECT: 1954 Frejus SuperCorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked 157 Times in 75 Posts
Originally Posted by mnor

This is my bike that I use for commutes around town. Changed out the seat for something a little bit bigger/softer. Very quiet ride with the gates belt.
Nice bike.
Careful with going too soft on the saddle. The idea is to allow your sit bones to bear the weight. Too much padding tends to allow the sit bones to sink deep enough to push the padding into the soft zones (perineum), which can cause circulation issues.
Old 11-05-12, 05:32 AM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4225 Post(s)
Liked 2,945 Times in 1,804 Posts

The extrabike is my pickup truck through all seasons but an excellent winter machine due it incredible stability and load carrying abilities... this will be it's 5th winter season.

I just bought one of those bags to make into a pannier. Since I don't have an extended wheelbase like your extracycle, I'm not sure I'm going to be able to push it back far enough to use without heelstrike, but I'm hopeful because it looks like it's got some good qualities. Did you cut off the shoulderstraps? At one time I thought I'd figured out an attachment method that would allow me to leave them on there so I could shoulder the pannier when I got to my destination.

Old 11-05-12, 07:52 AM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Originally Posted by himespau
I just bought one of those bags to make into a pannier. Since I don't have an extended wheelbase like your extracycle, I'm not sure I'm going to be able to push it back far enough to use without heelstrike, but I'm hopeful because it looks like it's got some good qualities. Did you cut off the shoulderstraps? At one time I thought I'd figured out an attachment method that would allow me to leave them on there so I could shoulder the pannier when I got to my destination.
I think the deal I got on these bags, and why they were surplus, stems from them being rather poor backpacks due to the narrow shoulder straps and amount of weight they are designed to carry... I adapted the three point straps with the gear clips to serve as my top straps and this provides a quick release and removed the shoulder straps.

I re-purposed the shoulder straps and generous strapping they came with and used the male clips to serve as removable deck tie downs that will clip into the smaller top loops I created for tubular items like my tent and sleeping bag as I am pretty sure there are some camping trips to come.

Am not sure I will keep the helmet webbing as it really is not that practical unless I want to carry soccer balls or whole frozen turkeys...

Will have to top load the bike to demonstrate how it works... it is pretty slick.

The only other thing I have to do is swap one of the small male ends at the bottom by the compression strap for a female clip so these can serve to secure the bags against the frame... right now they are just tied down with those straps.

You should be familiar with the set up of the bag and should see the free female end that the removable top straps will attach to... they are just tucked away in the side pocket

Old 11-05-12, 09:52 AM
Yalc

Bikes: All City Macho Man Disc, Surly CrossCheck, Surly Steamroller, Voodoo Agwe, Trek FX 7.2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

my new commuter build, I haven't been able to spend a lot of time on it yet as I Just got it spinning sunday, but shes a fun ride so far!
Attached Images
Photo Nov 03, 6 29 09 PM.jpg (77.1 KB, 189 views)
Old 11-05-12, 12:56 PM
AbundantChoice

Bikes: modified Worksman

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Here's my Long Haul Trucker, sans panniers (a pair of Arkel Shoppers) or rack bag (an MTX that locks into the rail). Yeah, the fenders fit like crap, but I plan on replacing those tires with 2" Marathons at some point in the next 2 or 3 months and will get the fenders properly fitted to the wheel at that point. And yeah, the black stem doesn't match the rest of the bike, i'll probably swap it for a silver one sooner or later. And when the current black cork wrap gets really janky, i'll probably swap to a bar wrap that matches the saddle.

The B33 saddle is kind of hilarious. It's huge and heavy, and sort of looks like it belongs on a tractor, but it's *so* comfy; it's like riding a couch. The only drawback is you *have* to use a pipe post seatpost on it; the triple rails are so close together the normal seat sandwiches you use to throw a Brooks double-rail onto a modern seatpost won't work. That little Brooks tool bag is kind of a joke; there's *barely* enough room for an Alien multitool, a CO2 cartridge, and patch kit. Spare tube? Keys? Hah! If I swap over to my tiny multitool that just has various hex bolts and screwdrivers w/ no wrenches or tire levers, I could probably get my keys and a spare tube in there. Maybe. Sort of.

These are those MKS Lambda pedals I was talking about a few posts up (and the small spacers I used to move 'em out a touch). Love, love, love these pedals.

And yes, I got a silly custom printed cap with my personal slogan on it.
Attached Images
LHT_GIlesCory1.jpg (103.8 KB, 223 views)
MKS_Lambda.jpg (101.5 KB, 184 views)
abhbas2.jpg (53.7 KB, 240 views)
Old 11-05-12, 01:12 PM
cehowardGS
Motorcycle RoadRacer

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I think the deal I got on these bags, and why they were surplus, stems from them being rather poor backpacks due to the narrow shoulder straps and amount of weight they are designed to carry... I adapted the three point straps with the gear clips to serve as my top straps and this provides a quick release and removed the shoulder straps.

I re-purposed the shoulder straps and generous strapping they came with and used the male clips to serve as removable deck tie downs that will clip into the smaller top loops I created for tubular items like my tent and sleeping bag as I am pretty sure there are some camping trips to come.

Am not sure I will keep the helmet webbing as it really is not that practical unless I want to carry soccer balls or whole frozen turkeys...

Will have to top load the bike to demonstrate how it works... it is pretty slick.

The only other thing I have to do is swap one of the small male ends at the bottom by the compression strap for a female clip so these can serve to secure the bags against the frame... right now they are just tied down with those straps.

You should be familiar with the set up of the bag and should see the free female end that the removable top straps will attach to... they are just tucked away in the side pocket

I gotta tell ya.. You a gawd darn trooper if I ever saw one!!
Old 11-05-12, 03:02 PM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4225 Post(s)
Liked 2,945 Times in 1,804 Posts

Any issues with it hitting the wheel? That was one concern I had. I mean the three metal bars that make up the internal frame look sturdy enough, but the kidney pad is the only thing giving mine structure along the bottom. Huge, though and I think it looks cool, weatherproof and relatively inexpensive, so I still have hopes that I can do something like you did and turn it into a useful pannier.

Old 11-05-12, 03:14 PM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Originally Posted by himespau
Any issues with it hitting the wheel? That was one concern I had. I mean the three metal bars that make up the internal frame look sturdy enough, but the kidney pad is the only thing giving mine structure along the bottom. Huge, though and I think it looks cool, weatherproof and relatively inexpensive, so I still have hopes that I can do something like you did and turn it into a useful pannier.
My extra bike has two tie down rails that you can see sticking out the back... the kidney pad rides against this and even without those rails the racks have 6 bars to keep bags from going where they should not.
Old 11-05-12, 03:16 PM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

No issues with the bags hitting the wheel... the kidney pad rides against them which adds a little suspension to the bags and there are 6 rack rails between the bag and wheel.

I keep thinking I should build a custom rack but this one has been working so well for so long.
Old 11-05-12, 04:49 PM
erikerikerik
Erik

Bikes: Globe Daily 3, '10 Novara Strada, Dahon Jack

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This is my Globe Daily 3 commute bike.

• PDW takeout basket up front (to carry lunch & dinner) with light attachment (2W PB).
  • Motoactv mount (to track my commute).
  • Leyzne hand pump with pressure gauge.
  • PDW Danger zone tail light.
  • Snapit rack with Wallit bag.
  • Captain America bottle
Attached Images
1.jpg (69.9 KB, 250 views)
2.jpg (88.5 KB, 219 views)
3.jpg (76.0 KB, 208 views)
4.jpg (60.4 KB, 196 views)
Old 11-05-12, 04:50 PM
PatrickGSR94

Bikes: 2011 Felt Z85 (road/commuter), 2006 Marin Pine Mountain (utility/commuter E-bike), 1995 KHS Alite 1000 (gravel grinder)

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 676 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
What's up, nice pics on your first post. I'm guessing your name is Erik.
Old 11-05-12, 04:57 PM
erikerikerik
Erik

Bikes: Globe Daily 3, '10 Novara Strada, Dahon Jack

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hah, yup. And I'm not very creative with user names.
Thanks
Old 11-05-12, 06:04 PM
treadtread

Bikes: 2012 Specialized Sirrus

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by erikerikerik
This is my Globe Daily 3 commute bike.

• PDW takeout basket up front (to carry lunch & dinner) with light attachment (2W PB).
  • Motoactv mount (to track my commute).
  • Leyzne hand pump with pressure gauge.
  • PDW Danger zone tail light.
  • Snapit rack with Wallit bag.
  • Captain America bottle
Hillsdale tag - neighbor! Welcome to the forum

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.