Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Commuter Bicycle Pics

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Commuter Bicycle Pics

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-14, 02:58 PM
Archwhorides 

Bikes: Death machines all

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 63 Posts
Cool accessories, do you have any night-time shots?

Originally Posted by KCBikeCommuter
Here are a couple of pictures of my '40-mile round trip... 3-days a week' commuter bicycle.
Old 11-12-14, 04:18 PM
KCBikeCommuter

Bikes: Klein Quantum Race; Cannondale Supersix EVO Di2; Trek Crossrip LTD; Trek Boone 9 Disc

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Archwhorides
Cool accessories, do you have any night-time shots?
Well... I have a video that shows how the Revolights work... but that's about it.
.be
Old 11-12-14, 04:38 PM
GeneO 

Bikes: 2018 Roubaix Expert Di2, 2016 Diverge Expert X1

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 482 Post(s)
Liked 151 Times in 105 Posts
I get "This video is private" and can't view it
Old 11-13-14, 07:53 AM
Archwhorides 

Bikes: Death machines all

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 63 Posts
Finally completing my recent bike purchase/project with an Ortleib Office pannier - northern European equip for New England paths/streets, I'm curious to see what this winter holds in store.....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
BMC Complete.jpg (110.3 KB, 295 views)
Old 11-13-14, 08:56 AM
KCBikeCommuter

Bikes: Klein Quantum Race; Cannondale Supersix EVO Di2; Trek Crossrip LTD; Trek Boone 9 Disc

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by GeneO
I get "This video is private" and can't view it
I think I forgot to 'publish' the video. Try is again and let me know if it works.
Old 11-13-14, 10:23 AM
Rick@OCRR
www.ocrebels.com

Bikes: Several bikes, Road, Mountain, Commute, etc.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
This thread just keeps on going! I think this is the 3rd photo I've put on here, but since I retired the DaHon when the trains got "bike areas" and retired the GT when I wanted a more commuter friendly bike . . . here is the current commuter, built up from a discarded "Performance" brand cro-mo frame.

I built it up with parts I had laying about (which is why the wheels don't match!) and the shifters (8 Speed Grip-Shift) don't match the freewheel (not a cassette! 7-Speed) but still, they work okay together. Single chain-ring and the front derailluer is only there to keep the chain on the chain-ring when I hit bumps.

Since the "Performance" decals have been removed, it's known a simply "The Black Bike."
Rick / OCRR
Attached Images
Old 11-13-14, 01:05 PM
PatrickGSR94

Bikes: 2011 Felt Z85 (road/commuter), 2006 Marin Pine Mountain (utility/commuter E-bike), 1995 KHS Alite 1000 (gravel grinder)

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 676 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Big Lebowski
Put on some cheapo Kenda 35mm tires.

Wow that green and black make for a SHARP looking bike! Love it!
Old 11-13-14, 02:06 PM
mechanicmatt
Hoards Thumbshifters

Bikes: '23 Black Mtn MC, '87 Bruce Gordon Chinook, '08 Jamis Aurora, '86 Trek 560, '97 Mongoose Rockadile, & '91 Trek 750

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 246 Post(s)
Liked 334 Times in 192 Posts
Here are a couple of pictures of my '40-mile round trip... 3-days a week' commuter bicycle.
From where to where do you commute in KC, I am thinking about a Mission, KS to Grandview, MO commute, but haven't fully committed yet.
Old 11-13-14, 03:01 PM
KCBikeCommuter

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by mechanicmatt
From where to where do you commute in KC, I am thinking about a Mission, KS to Grandview, MO commute, but haven't fully committed yet.
I commute from the west side of Liberty to 31st & Broadway. It's a little under 20-miles each way.
Old 11-13-14, 03:19 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5774 Post(s)
Liked 2,573 Times in 1,424 Posts
I commute from the west side of Liberty to 31st & Broadway. It's a little under 20-miles each way.
That's gotta get cold on a Kansas winter day. I live near the coast and it's rarely as cold (though colder than Iceland in the winter), and don't know if I'd have the patience or tolerance for your daily commute.

Consider this a hat's off salute. (we need a "tip o' the hat" emoticon, not that I'd use it anyway)

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 11-13-14, 04:03 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7348 Post(s)
Liked 2,463 Times in 1,433 Posts
Originally Posted by FBinNY
That's gotta get cold on a Kansas winter day. I live near the coast and it's rarely as cold (though colder than Iceland in the winter), and don't know if I'd have the patience or tolerance for your daily commute.

Consider this a hat's off salute. (we need a "tip o' the hat" emoticon, not that I'd use it anyway)
In one of the threads about winter cycling, some Canadians said that the type of climate we get in NYC can be more unpleasant than their climates because our weather dithers above and below freezing so much. Cold wet wind is bad. Windy rainy weather is very bad.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 11-13-14, 04:08 PM
mechanicmatt
Hoards Thumbshifters

Bikes: '23 Black Mtn MC, '87 Bruce Gordon Chinook, '08 Jamis Aurora, '86 Trek 560, '97 Mongoose Rockadile, & '91 Trek 750

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 246 Post(s)
Liked 334 Times in 192 Posts
Ok that's pretty impressive, mostly because I am trying to think of the city street route you would take. At an old job I would commute from Mission to North KC, go right through downtown and then across the Heart of America Bridge (wide shoulder). Loved crossing the Missouri River and riding through the heart of town.

My route would be 14.5 miles through residential but there is a couple no shoulder parts I wouldn't be able to avoid. Seems doable.

How long is your trip one way then?
Old 11-13-14, 04:34 PM
joeyduck

Bikes: 1997 Kona Hahana Race Light, 2010 Surly LHT(deceased), 1999 Rocky Mountain Turbo

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
In one of the threads about winter cycling, some Canadians said that the type of climate we get in NYC can be more unpleasant than their climates because our weather dithers above and below freezing so much. Cold wet wind is bad. Windy rainy weather is very bad.
The temperatures around freezing are the worst. The rain and dampness just seep into everything and make one feel much colder.

I have been in Vancouver for a decade and I hate the winter. Here it hovers around forty and it is wet all winter. I grew up in upstate NY just off lake Ontario and winters below freezing were much more pleasant. Those winters are my happy place.

But biking is easy. But if it snows the city is a disaster since it happens once a year and I try to avoid going out for fear of unprepared idiots hitting me in the car or on the bike
Old 11-13-14, 05:08 PM
KCBikeCommuter

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Ok that's pretty impressive, mostly because I am trying to think of the city street route you would take. At an old job I would commute from Mission to North KC, go right through downtown and then across the Heart of America Bridge (wide shoulder). Loved crossing the Missouri River and riding through the heart of town.

My route would be 14.5 miles through residential but there is a couple no shoulder parts I wouldn't be able to avoid. Seems doable.

How long is your trip one way then?
I can usually make the trip in just under 1hr 15min depending on the wind. With a strong tail-wind I've made the trip a couple of times in 1hr 6min. With a strong head-wind it's taken me nearly 1.5-hours. With my computer and a change of clothes, the total bike weight is around 45 lbs.

I come across the Heart of America bridge as well. The barricaded bike lane is nice, but because the lane is an afterthought and not part of the original bridge design... all the water/debris washes across the bike lane to the drains (which are also in the bike lane). I've had several flats coming across the bridge because of all the glass/debris. However, it is a safe way to cross the river and I do enjoy the view.

A majority of my ride from Liberty to the Heart of America bridge is on residential streets. I do jump on Vivian Road as I ride through Claycomo, but the traffic is fairly light.
Old 11-13-14, 05:25 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5774 Post(s)
Liked 2,573 Times in 1,424 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
I agree to an extent. I ride all winter and prefer colder dryer weather. But we really don't get that much winter rain, so 30-35 and not raining is better than colder temps. In face we have many days with daytime balmy temps on either side of 40.

OTOH- here in NYC we can ride on just about any winter day without going to great lengths to protect ourselves. I'll take a few damp chilly rides, even rainy ones over super cold any time.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 11-13-14, 09:04 PM
Big Lebowski

Bikes: Trek 9th District, CAAD 10, Crux

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I know this was not intended for me, but me and my green 9th District go from 133rd and Quivera in Overland Park to 31st and Main. However, it gets most of the afternoons off, since it gets a ride on the front of TheJo (county bus service) back to Overland Park and then a short 4 mile ride home.

Sorry to threadjack the pics thread with comments from KC commuters, but there aren't a lot of us, so it's nice to hear from others.
Old 11-14-14, 04:25 PM
Fizzaly
Stealing Spokes since 82'

Bikes: The always reliable kuwie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Recently got the winter bike finished and am glad! Almost didn't put the studded snow tires on as I thought this so called storm was gonna flop. So far we've gotten more snow that we've gotten during some entire winters.

Old 11-14-14, 05:27 PM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 4337 Post(s)
Liked 2,980 Times in 1,617 Posts
BikLites:

Old 11-14-14, 05:33 PM
joeyduck

Bikes: 1997 Kona Hahana Race Light, 2010 Surly LHT(deceased), 1999 Rocky Mountain Turbo

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DiabloScott
BikLites:
Do they change with speed, or it is just random?

I think that it would be awesomer if they changed colors according to speed. Red for when slowing and changing through the visible spectrum to blue as you go faster.
Old 11-14-14, 06:58 PM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 4337 Post(s)
Liked 2,980 Times in 1,617 Posts
Originally Posted by joeyduck
Do they change with speed, or it is just random?

I think that it would be awesomer if they changed colors according to speed. Red for when slowing and changing through the visible spectrum to blue as you go faster.
My mistake, they're called SpokeLits not BikeLites.

The easy-to-attach Nite Ize LED SpokeLit is the perfect way to increase your visibility, safety, and cool factor when you're riding your bike in the dark. Fueled by an efficient LED, this handy little device has two illumination modes - steady glow and continuous flash - to choose from. Press it onto the spokes of your wheel and slide towards the rim until the fit is tight, and it stays securely in place. And, here's the fun part: the SpokeLit not only marks your bike plainly in the dark, when you're riding at medium speed or faster, it creates the attention-getting effect of a moving circle of light. Water and shock resistant, it fits almost all kids' and adults' bike sizes.
So you buy a single color light or the disco/changing color light and you wet it to flash or glow mode. In my video I have a blue one flashing and a disco one glowing. Disco changes color in a regular sequence.
Old 11-16-14, 10:34 AM
dumrunner

Bikes: Bianchi Axis, GT Backwoods, Benotto Modelo 1800

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bengreen79
Here's my winter beater. I just put a disc fork/wheel/brake on the front so it will stop in poor conditions. I need to stop at the bike shop and pickup a couple of spacers for the top of the fork.

My first post, might as well be a question.

Nice Backwoods! I have a '94 that I tried to fit Planet Bike ATB fenders on last weekend. The front went on fine, but I couldn't get the back seated properly because the center mount on the seat stay is too far above the tire, and when I try to pull the fender plastic clip up to the mount, the brake cables hit the fender.

Can I ask how you mounted yours? Kinda new at all this. Thanks!

Last edited by dumrunner; 11-16-14 at 10:39 AM.
Old 11-16-14, 10:58 AM
old's'cool
curmudgineer

Bikes: 2 many 2 fit here

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 263 Post(s)
Liked 112 Times in 70 Posts
Here my latest build, for damp weather commuting (key feature being fenders). If you want to see more pics and read about the acquisition & build, stay tuned for a new thread I will put on C&V shortly.

Last edited by old's'cool; 11-17-14 at 09:36 PM. Reason: changed to drive side pic
Old 11-16-14, 11:25 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7348 Post(s)
Liked 2,463 Times in 1,433 Posts
Originally Posted by old's'cool
Here my latest build, for damp weather commuting (key feature being fenders). If you want to see more pics and read about the acquisition & build, stay tuned for a new thread I will put on C&V shortly.

That's a link to a private picture.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 11-16-14, 12:33 PM
bengreen79
Allez means go.

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by dumrunner
My first post, might as well be a question.

Nice Backwoods! I have a '94 that I tried to fit Planet Bike ATB fenders on last weekend. The front went on fine, but I couldn't get the back seated properly because the center mount on the seat stay is too far above the tire, and when I try to pull the fender plastic clip up to the mount, the brake cables hit the fender.

Can I ask how you mounted yours? Kinda new at all this. Thanks!
I had a piece of metal about 3/4" inch that I drilled holes in both ends and just used an extra nut/bolt/washer. Probably gave me a little less than an extra 1/2". The cables still rub the fender a little but it doesn't seem to affect braking, not that I use the back brake a lot anyway.

Edit - it was even more ghetto than that. I think I used the metal piece on a different bike. I actually just zip tied it on, lol. No problems so far.

Last edited by bengreen79; 11-16-14 at 04:01 PM.
Old 11-16-14, 06:30 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
I fixed my '86 Gazelle and rode it to work Friday. It now qualifies as a commuter bike.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.