Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Accell Group sells brands- Diamondback, Raleigh, Redline, and more

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 08-28-19, 10:31 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10902 Post(s)
Liked 7,391 Times in 4,148 Posts

This happened in the last month and I realized I hadnt seen it mentioned here.

Accell sold the worldwide registrations(besides Canada) for Diamondback, Redline, and more to Regent LP(who owns Mavic).
Accell still owns Haibike, the Raleigh brand in the US, and Ghost.
https://www.bicycleretailer.com/indu...r#.XWamSOhKhhE

Accell sold the Canadian rights for Raleigh, Diamondback, Redline, and more to Canadian Tire.
https://www.bicycleretailer.com/indu...n#.XWamTehKhhE

A few thoughts-
- Some view Raleigh and Diamondback as 'less than' bike shop brands. Having built up half a dozen bikes between the brands for co-workers/friends, I think they are quite good for the money. Each had the fit/finish I would expect at the price paid(or more, really). They are every bit as nice as equal priced or equal spec'd bikes from Trek, Specialized, and Giant. Often times nicer. My '18 Diamondback Syncr MTB was a steal for the price
- I can absolutely understand the dealer frustration when they carry Raligh in store and the bikes are offered online direct to consumer for hundreds less. Hundreds wasnt an understatement either. This really did some damage to the goodwill and probably didnt help the brand as viewed by loyal LBS shoppers.
- Raleigh and Diamondback really innovated over the last 6 years- they werent just copy/open mold brands. Examples- the gravel bikes from both were different year to year(as the brands progressed in the genre). I think part of why the bikes werent more respected was they cut spec at the crankset and brakes. Mechanical disc on higher level bikes, for example.
- Diamondback's Haanjo series progressed into bikepacking, gravel racing, and commuting.
- Raleigh worked with local legend Guitar Ted to design the Tamland series of gravel bikes. They also offered the aluminum frame Willard, the short lived but well reviewed carbon Roker, and the genre bending Stuntman.
- It will be interesting to see how Regent and Canadian Tire manage the brands. Do the brands become just afterthoughts and fully relegate to big box sporting goods stores? Do the brands get proper design and support and a clearer channel of distribution?
Old 08-28-19, 10:58 AM
sheddle

Bikes: my precious steel boys

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 438 Post(s)
Liked 603 Times in 359 Posts
I remember Raleigh offering some really good deals for touring bikes - hopefully they continue to do so.

The Stuntman was a cool value for a bike too.
Old 08-28-19, 11:26 AM
Hiro11

Bikes: 2022 Specialized Allez Sprint custom build, 2019 Giant Defy Advanced Pro 0, 2018 Seven Mudhoney Pro custom build, 2017 Raleigh Stuntman, various others

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 782 Post(s)
Liked 475 Times in 238 Posts
I have a Raleigh Stuntman and a Diamondback Sync'r Pro. Both are well designed bikes with excellent performance. I'd put the Sync'r Pro up against any alloy hardtail sold for twice the money from a major brand, the geometry is dead on, the bike is tank-like in its toughness and the components are all top notch. The Stuntman is a completely unique and useful bike that is exactly on point in today's gravel/adventure market. I've seen tons of custom, extremely expensive and "cool" bikes that mirror what the Stuntman already offers off the shelf.

Too bad neither bike is still sold...

Also notable, both of my bikes have proven to be very reliable despite my abuse.
Old 08-28-19, 11:49 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10902 Post(s)
Liked 7,391 Times in 4,148 Posts
Originally Posted by Hiro11
Too bad neither bike is still sold...
This. I think this was an issue too- many models just didnt carry over from year to year. In the last couple years, the kids options for both companies was nearly non-existent. Dback used to have a 24" wheel Hannjo, a 650 Podium road bike, and a 24" wheel Podium road bike- all just eliminated. Perhaps it was lack of sales...but what they did have did sell. Kids MTBs were even less impressive. Both brands for the most part just reduced kids inventory to some sidewalk hybrids. Guess those sell best?

So many models were just- poof- gone suddenly.

Hopefully new owners means working out the shortcomings of the old business while retaining what worked.
Old 08-28-19, 12:30 PM
hubcyclist

Bikes: 2017 Raleigh RX 1.0, 2018 Specialized Allez

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 471 Post(s)
Liked 631 Times in 336 Posts
I have a 2017 raleigh CX bike, got lucky and paid $700 new toward the end of 2017, it was a closeout and with cantilever brakes it's less sexy and desirable than the disc brake models, but it's a heck of a deal and for the life of me I don't know why they can get entry level road bikes in the $600-700 range but can't do the same with gravel/cyclocross bikes (gravel is the new hotness so I guess it's a premium).

Anyhow, happy with my raleigh as a tool for my CX racing and a guy on my club dominated on his raleigh last year.
Old 08-28-19, 01:18 PM
Kedosto
Callipygian Connoisseur

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 564 Post(s)
Liked 350 Times in 190 Posts
A few months ago I picked up a 2017 Raleigh Clubman. A "get it outta here" deal at $380, new and unassembled in the box. I didn't really have a need, and my expectations weren't set one way or the other. I gotta say, the bike is pretty nice. Steel frame, Sora 9-speed, eyeletted rims, Clement tires, and Tektro disc brakes. It's built well -- the welds are nice, the paint is very nice and it rides quite nice. It's one hell of a value. I put my B17 on it and have been rolling it around on the weekends. Win!

-Kedosto
Old 08-29-19, 10:05 AM
JonathanGennick 

Bikes: Priority 600, Priority Continuum, Devinci Dexter

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 685 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 37 Posts
Having the brands owned differently in Canada versus the rest of the world seems an odd thing.
Likes For JonathanGennick:
Old 08-29-19, 10:10 AM
sheddle

Bikes: my precious steel boys

Quoted: 438 Post(s)
Liked 603 Times in 359 Posts
I always really like those, idk what the right term is, "budget premium" brands like Raleigh/Fuji. I think Jamis is in a similar price bracket. You could really get some fantastic bikes at great prices with them if you can stomach not having a "desirable" name on the seattube (I remember a Raleigh touring bike being the apple of my eye a few years back...)
Old 08-29-19, 01:10 PM
Leinster

Bikes: MBK Super Mirage 1991, CAAD10, Yuba Mundo Lux, and a Cannondale Criterium Single Speed

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 205 Posts
My wife’s Airen was a steal. I’ve always kept an eye on their hardtails, just for when that day comes I can actually justify getting one.
Old 08-29-19, 03:12 PM
JonathanGennick 

Bikes: Priority 600, Priority Continuum, Devinci Dexter

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 685 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 37 Posts
They had some nice bikes period. I bought a Raleigh kids model a couple years ago because it was a clean design that wasn't saddled with a brick-heavy suspension fork. Worth every penny.
Old 08-29-19, 03:38 PM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1792 Post(s)
Liked 1,671 Times in 955 Posts
Originally Posted by JonathanGennick
Having the brands owned differently in Canada versus the rest of the world seems an odd thing.
Raleigh in particular has been a discount store bike brand in Canada for quite some time, nothing like the Raleighs that were being sold in the US. I thought that Accel might do well in Canada when they acquired Raleigh which had a large manufacturing facility in Waterloo Quebec which would have been a good distribution center for at least Eastern Canada for all the other brands they own. However, Canada is a nightmare for distributors seeing that most of the population lives not very far from the US border. Canada is a unique country when it comes to distribution of consumer goods. Think of a country that is basically thousands of miles long and only a couple of hundred miles wide
Old 08-29-19, 04:56 PM
Leinster

Bikes: MBK Super Mirage 1991, CAAD10, Yuba Mundo Lux, and a Cannondale Criterium Single Speed

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 205 Posts
Originally Posted by alcjphil
Canada is a unique country when it comes to distribution of consumer goods. Think of a country that is basically thousands of miles long and only a couple of hundred miles wide
You mean it’s just like Chile.
Likes For Leinster:
Old 12-29-19, 02:39 AM
Joeyseven

Bikes: Fairdale Goodship

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
The OP brings up a lot of good info.
Accell really dropped the ball.I do not know what their plan was if any.Was it to become a online sales only store?
Because they burnt many bridges with the LBS.They had some good deals, but the LBS sometimes could not even buy
the same bike for wholesale for what it was selling online.

I really like Raleigh bikes for the price and quality.I agree with the OP,they really could have done good if they went the LBS route.
Raleigh offered that online discount back in 2017 and you could get the Merit 3 with 105 for $750 .
Plus they had other deals.

And once Raleigh had a fire sale on Amazon I could not help myself to buy a few more bikes.
As I really like my Redux 3,Tamland and Roker.
Old 12-29-19, 06:47 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18320 Post(s)
Liked 15,297 Times in 7,230 Posts
Originally Posted by Leinster
My wife’s Airen was a steal.
Steal is real.
Old 12-29-19, 07:06 AM
Rajflyboy
Banned.

Bikes: Orbea

Quoted: 917 Post(s)
Liked 205 Times in 170 Posts
Will they make higher end Redline BMX bicycles?

i hope they keep some quality with the Diamondback/Raleigh machines.
Old 12-29-19, 08:10 AM
DorkDisk

Bikes: Ritchey Swiss Cross | Teesdale Kona Hot | Haro Extreme | Specialized Stumpjumper Comp | Cannondale F1000 | Shogun 1000 | Cannondale M500 | Norco Charger | Marin Muirwoods 29er | Shogun Kaze | Breezer Lightning

Quoted: 576 Post(s)
Liked 991 Times in 484 Posts
Originally Posted by Leinster
You mean it’s just like Chile.

In many ways, yes. However,a large E-W nation has a constant weather zone, whereas a large N-S nation will have a large variance in temperatures at the same time.

I worked in a brick and mortar that sold Accel Raleighs. We sold a lot of 400-500 hybrids, but it was difficult moving anything more expensive. Many people would ask, "Is Raleigh a good brand?"

We didn't really mind the mail order aspect; we would direct clients to ship the bike to us so we could build it up. Raleigh would then pay us for the build. Client got a well assembled bike and didn't have to worry about staying home for shipping, and the shop made money on a very easy assembly.
Old 12-30-19, 05:42 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,798 Times in 1,798 Posts
I'd like to see the Diamonback road bike designs of around 2014 continue or evolve. They did some nifty stuff in a reasonably priced bike. A friend gave me a Diamondback Podium 5 carbon fiber frame that was too small for him. Might be a tad small for me -- looks like a 54cm or 55cm and I usually ride 56-58, but I can make it work with a longer stem.

I didn't have time to inspect the frame for a few months so it sat in a corner. But recently I began inspecting it to be sure the fork, steerer, etc., were all good and noticed the internal cable routing. At first I was dreading building that bike back up but it turns out Diamondback designed the frame to make it as easy as possible to re-cable the internal routing. No need for magnets, vacuums, twisty-cable-snagger doodads, etc. Fresh cable routed right through, no hassles, no drama or cussing.

I don't have much else to compare with. My only other carbon fiber road bike is a '93 Trek 5900, which is just a conventional diamond frame in a carbon fiber sorta-monocoque design (rides pretty much like my steel road bike, but lighter and a bit stiffer), so any more recent carbon frame seems like a rocketship to me. But Diamondback seems to have resolved some of the usual pesky stuff with clever engineering in a reasonably priced frame that appears to be excellent quality. I don't have access to diagnostic imaging (I think a friend does at work where they build carbon fiber aircraft bits and bobs), so I'll just have to assume it's good on the inside too. I haven't read any negative reports of a pattern of problems with Diamondback Podium frames. I think the only complaint I've read is about the FSA headset, but that's easily replaced and I don't see a problem with it myself.