Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Are Drop bars just an illusion for most?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Are Drop bars just an illusion for most?

Old 09-19-19, 07:14 PM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3335 Post(s)
Liked 3,436 Times in 1,737 Posts
Originally Posted by Happy Feet
Like I said, an alternate reality.
An alternate reality is one that advise cyclists not to brake on curves, thinking that is good advice.

Consider the the cyclist who finds debris around a blind turn. The right move is to apply the brakes, tighten the turn, and go around the debris. But no, she’s been told the myth that braking on a curve is a “bad idea” that “should be avoided,” because it is “suboptimal”. Crash!
Old 09-19-19, 07:24 PM
Happy Feet

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2236 Post(s)
Liked 1,313 Times in 706 Posts
Originally Posted by terrymorse
An alternate reality is one that advise cyclists not to brake on curves, thinking that is good advice.

Consider the the cyclist who finds debris around a blind turn. The right move is to apply the brakes, tighten the turn, and go around the debris. But no, she’s been told the myth that braking on a curve is a “bad idea” that “should be avoided,” because it is “suboptimal”. Crash!
Come on man, now you're just misconscruing. Anyone following the conversation knows exactly what I wrote and mean. I'm the one advocating safe speeds and approaches. Now you realize braking through a turn isn't that great and are trying to back out. This is what happens when black and white thinking meets reality.

Why are they going too fast into a blind curve? Because you told them you could just brake through it. Hey, there's no downside to it in your words. What I said was brake before the curve so you aren't pushing the safety envelope and have wiggle room to adjust to stuff like debris.

Optimal is braking before the curve, sub optimal is braking in the curve. Doesn't mean don't do it - just there is a better alternative as an SOP.

I very intentionally used the descriptors optimal and sub optimal as they are more conducive to matters of degree and not black and white, right or wrong vocabulary. It is optimal to maintain a well functioning main chute when sky diving, sub optimal to rely on your reserve to bail you out. It doesn't mean you don't use the reserve if you need it. The terms denote where the emphasis should be laid. In this case, braking before the curve, not once in it. That's pretty common practice, not my "wild" theory.

I don't know who you think you're convincing when your own words are right there on the screen.

Last edited by Happy Feet; 09-19-19 at 07:43 PM.
Old 09-19-19, 07:33 PM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Optimal is braking before the curve, sub optimal is braking in the curve. Doesn't mean don't do it - just there is a better alternative as an SOP.
Optimal, shmoptimal. Just more fear mongering, using different words.

For the vast majority of situations, there is no harm with braking in a turn. For many situations, refusing to brake in a turn is less safe—or downright dangerous.
Old 09-19-19, 07:34 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
Even though this thread is now mostly a jumble of theoretical page fluffing, I can't get it out of my head. The "trail braking a bicycle" notion is stuck with me. Because it's not really applicable to the average rider. I was paying attention to entry and exit speeds on my ride this morning, both on the flats and while descending. While coasting through any typical corner, regardless of initial velocity, I would lose about 1mph while on a descent, and ~2mph on flat ground; enter at 23mph, exit at 21 or 22, depending on the grade. The reason being, I never had to brake at all. I can corner while using only "my side" of a two-lane street up to around 32mph. No braking. Give me the whole street's width, and it would obviously be more.

I did brake inside a corner once this morning-- a right hander, entering ~25mph, I had hoped to cheat up a little of the middle lane for my exit, but a car was approaching to make a left turn, so I gave a little braking to stay tighter. Dropped to around 18mph. So while I can see where trail braking might be preferred or even necessary-- not for maximum speed, but to stay inside a corner-- I'm also thinking grades up past 7%, where I'm (personally) not all that concerned about carrying every little bit of speed through a corner, because at my age I will err to the side of safety. I can happily live with 2-3mph slower around the bends if it means I get to keep all of my skin.

So braking inside the corner under that umbrella, sure. As I said before, I think most of us do it unconsciously. But braking through any corner is still going to be slower than pushing the limits of grip while coasting.
Old 09-19-19, 07:38 PM
Happy Feet

Optimal, shmoptimal. Just more fear mongering, using different words.

For the vast majority of situations, there is no harm with braking in a turn. For many situations, refusing to brake in a turn is less safe—or downright dangerous.

For the vast majority of situations, there is no harm with braking from the hoods. See how that works.

The rest is just putting words where they don't exist.

Listen, when people stop using physics and start pulling out the big guns like "Optimal, shmoptimal. Just more fear mongering, using different words" I'm outta here.

Braking before the crash and all

Last edited by Happy Feet; 09-19-19 at 07:50 PM.
Old 09-19-19, 07:47 PM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

For the vast majority of situations, there is no harm with braking from the hoods.
Given that most riding involves low speed riding on straight roads with smooth surfaces, I agree.

But riding in drops, like braking inside a turn, increase control and safety under certain conditions.
Old 09-19-19, 07:54 PM
Happy Feet

Given that most riding involves low speed riding on straight roads with smooth surfaces, I agree.
Well, that only took 20 pages.

Lot's of stuff applies "under certain conditions". Sitting on your top tube and resting your chest on the bars helps acceleration, sometimes.

Gotta go. Have a good night
Old 09-20-19, 07:43 AM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

In this video it is pretty easy to see the riders foot comes off the pedal. They appear to become preoccupied for a second and lose concentration to correct the trajectory path to complete the turn at that speed and veer wide to the point of neither being able to slow down or turn enough. Nothing about lost traction.
Written by someone who clearly has never lost rear wheel traction at the start of the turn. The lost rear wheel traction started the sequence that ended in a crash. When a rear wheel skids, it is virtually impossible to regain control in time to initiate a turn.

The sequence:
1. Fast approach to turn.
2. Hard braking.
3. Road irregularity causes rear wheel to skid.
4. Pro cyclist instinctively unclips left foot (because he has skills).
5. Bike tracks straight instead of turning, because rider can't start a turn when the rear wheel is skidding.

Old 09-20-19, 08:29 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 150 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6147 Post(s)
Liked 4,092 Times in 2,325 Posts
Originally Posted by Metieval
If I said "riding without hands is a good way to crash"
Is that saying "you will crash", if you ride without hands?

NO SIR it is not ! So Quit twisting words.

the same applies to handlebars, one way leaves your self open to a crash, it doesn't mean that you will crash.

2 groups of people, those who elect to ride drops on a dropbar, and those who claim "that is not my Drop bar!!!!"
I added not a single word to your quotes. I can't "twist words" if they are your very own words. Your implication is quite clear in each and every one of those quotes.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 09-21-19, 06:28 AM
rubiksoval

Bikes: bikes

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 2622 Post(s)
Liked 1,429 Times in 711 Posts
And you are incorrect. There are many very good reasons to brake in a turn, with essentially no downside.
Well, it's always better to brake then crash, so that's certainly a good reason.

But no. In a race, if you brake in a turn, besides the handling effect, you also get gapped off coming out of that turn in a big way. Then you have to sprint all-out to regain the lost wheel. At 30+ mph, doing this repeatedly (especially in a crit or a curvy road race) can have a big impact on your ability to not get dropped.

That's a lot of downside.
Old 09-22-19, 09:01 PM
Caliper

Bikes: Many

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 43 Posts
we should ask them then.

Who here on this site would rather walk than use a flatbar?

Anyone? Ferris? hello?

p.s. how long do we wait for an answer?
Walking would certainly hurt less. I can do a flat bar if it's got about 15* of sweep or so? Less than that and my wrists hurt and hands start tingling within 5 miles or so.
Old 09-22-19, 09:57 PM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked 941 Times in 504 Posts
It just goes to show how everyone is different. No style of bars have ever hurt my wrists, no matter how far I ride. But many times my hands hurt, at least a little. Usually, any position on a drop bar is the worst. No pile of posts from drop bar evangelicals can change that fact.

But I do have one drop bar bike set up that seems to fit ok. Not better than my favorite flat bar bikes, but tolerable. I guess the geometry and set-up is just right.

Sometimes, when taking a curve I find I'm going too fast and wide so I use my brakes. Doing so has never caused me to crash, but I'm certain it's prevented plenty of them. The "you shouldn't brake on a curve" rule is pure silliness.
Old 09-25-19, 08:41 AM
subgrade

Bikes: Focus Crater Lake

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 391 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 204 Posts
Written by someone who clearly has never lost rear wheel traction at the start of the turn. The lost rear wheel traction started the sequence that ended in a crash. When a rear wheel skids, it is virtually impossible to regain control in time to initiate a turn.

The sequence:
2. Hard braking.
3. Road irregularity causes rear wheel to skid.
4. Pro cyclist instinctively unclips left foot (because he has skills).
5. Bike tracks straight instead of turning, because rider can't start a turn when the rear wheel is skidding.
That is not what happened there.

The actual sequence:
2. Hard braking.
3. Rear wheel loses traction.
4. Cyclist countersteers to correct the slide.
5. Countersteering causes the rear wheel regain traction.
6. The jolt of sudden regaining of traction decreases the lean of the rider (flips him up), thus diminishing his counterweight to centrifugal forces.
7. With less force to counter it, the centrifugal force straightens the turning arc, leading the rider into and over the curb.

To put it short, it was not the loss of traction that straightened his track, but the sudden regaining of traction.

When cornering, losing traction in the rear = instant oversteer; losing traction in the front = instant understeer. Overcorrection of either of the two leads to the opposite effect.
Likes For subgrade:
Old 09-25-19, 09:07 AM
BurleyCat
Qfactor

Bikes: Santa Cruz, Bridgestone, Raleigh, Rudge, Specialized, Burley, Schwinn

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
For years one had to search to find a mountain bike with flat bars, or aftermarket bars, with a sweep greater than 5 or 6 degrees. Looking at the sweep on off road motorcycles, beginning decades before mountain bikes appeared and right up to the present, handle bars with less than 5 or 6 degrees of sweep are rare indeed. The wrist position on straight, flat, bars looks and feels unnatural. I prefer something over 11 degrees.
Old 09-25-19, 07:21 PM
Metieval

Bikes: Road bike, Hybrid, Gravel, Drop bar SS, hard tail MTB

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1218 Post(s)
Liked 298 Times in 214 Posts
I blame all of you for this!!!!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...for-long-rides

Last edited by Metieval; 09-25-19 at 07:29 PM.
Old 09-25-19, 10:02 PM
one4smoke

Bikes: 2020 Specialized Roubaix Comp SC - 2016 Specialized Roubaix SL4 - 2015 Giant Roam 2 Disc

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 639 Post(s)
Liked 338 Times in 224 Posts
Originally Posted by pvillemasher
Potholes

Old 09-27-19, 04:29 PM
steelrider58
NO LONGER A BF USER

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 12 Posts
I've finally come to the conclusion that drop bars are not for me. I basically NEVER put my hands on the lower drops. My current setup is a combination of a cruiser bar with bar ends installed (inside the brake levers, pointing forward like bull horns). This is very similar to the $60 VO Crazy bar. To me, this is comfortable and I will likely never go back to drop bars.
Likes For steelrider58:
Old 09-27-19, 06:18 PM
Gresp15C

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
Originally Posted by BurleyCat
For years one had to search to find a mountain bike with flat bars, or aftermarket bars, with a sweep greater than 5 or 6 degrees. Looking at the sweep on off road motorcycles, beginning decades before mountain bikes appeared and right up to the present, handle bars with less than 5 or 6 degrees of sweep are rare indeed. The wrist position on straight, flat, bars looks and feels unnatural. I prefer something over 11 degrees.
Check out FSA Metropolis. I'm happy with mine. I don't know if they are "mountain bike" bars per se, but I'm happy with mine. For real mountain biking, there might be a downside to having too much sweep -- the bucking of the bike can pull the grips out of your hands. I've had that happen on old cruisers that I took out on MTB trails.

Last edited by Gresp15C; 09-27-19 at 06:24 PM.
Old 09-30-19, 09:03 AM
tagaproject6

Bikes: Wilier Izoard XP (Record);Cinelli Xperience (Force);Specialized Allez (Rival);Bianchi Via Nirone 7 (Centaur); Colnago AC-R Disc;Colnago V1r Limited Edition;De Rosa King 3 Limited(Force 22);DeRosa Merak(Red):Pinarello Dogma 65.1 Hydro(Di2)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 276 Times in 144 Posts
And what about the Illusion of Aero Bike Frames?
Old 10-02-19, 12:39 PM
Commutess
Single speeder

Bikes: I have six.

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I blame all of you for this!!!!
Seems like when your in the outer bars, you would be disturbingly far away from the brakes.
Likes For Commutess:
Old 10-03-19, 01:15 AM
bwilli88 
Not lost wanderer.

Bikes: In USA; 73 Raleigh Super Course dingle speed, 72 Raleigh Gran Sport SS, 72 Geoffry Butler, 81 Centurion Pro-Tour, 74 Gugie Grandier Sportier

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 885 Post(s)
Liked 979 Times in 514 Posts
Anyone who is using the concept of trail braking in this thread and does not have a front fork that is a suspension is talking out their nether hole. Your need to be able to have compression to reduce the trail and shorten the length thus making it easier to turn. The only thing that moderate braking during the turn will do is to transfer weight to the front wheel and giving increased traction. So it is not considered trail braking but weight transfer braking.
Old 10-03-19, 07:45 AM
kingston 
Jedi Master

Bikes: https://stinkston.blogspot.com/p/my-bikes.html

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1759 Post(s)
Liked 488 Times in 313 Posts
I used to ride a lot of off-road motorcycles when I was younger and was taught to drag the front brake to turn faster in tight woods single track. Years later I heard someone call it trail braking and assumed they were referring to the kind of braking one does on a trail. Learn something new every day.
Old 10-06-19, 07:12 PM
steelrider58
NO LONGER A BF USER

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by steelrider58
I've finally come to the conclusion that drop bars are not for me. I basically NEVER put my hands on the lower drops. My current setup is a combination of a cruiser bar with bar ends installed (inside the brake levers, pointing forward like bull horns). This is very similar to the $60 VO Crazy bar. To me, this is comfortable and I will likely never go back to drop bars.
This is my current handlebar setup (having moved away from drop bars). The "poor man's VO Crazy Bar".

Likes For steelrider58:
Old 10-07-19, 10:59 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,094 Times in 5,053 Posts
This is my current handlebar setup (having moved away from drop bars). The "poor man's VO Crazy Bar".

I think I'd hate riding that, but liked for craftiness to get the bars you want.
Old 10-07-19, 11:50 AM
ab_antiquo
Banned

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 17 Posts

That front brake cable though...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.