Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Shipping help from Indianapolis for Cannondale Black Lightning

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-19, 07:01 PM
lorica 

Bikes: 2011 Specialized Dolce Comp, 1990 Cannondale Black Lightning and several other vintage

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 14 Posts

Sorry that I haven't yet introduced myself but I've been a long-time reader of these excellent forums and look forward to actively participating.. However, I have a current need and thought I'd see if anyone has any suggestions. I just won an auction for a Cannondale Black Lightning from the Indianapolis Goodwill store but live in So Cal. They don't ship bikes but will let me have a third party pick it up to pack and ship it. Most bike shops will pack a bike for a fee but I need one that will also pick it up from Goodwill. I would use either Ship Bikes or Bike Flights for shipping and could pay for the shipping label directly. I believe that FedEx will also pack a bike but it has to be brought to them.

Do any Indianapolis members know of a bike shop that might be willing to pick up a bike to pack and ship it? Of course I'm willing to pay a reasonable fee for the transport in addition to the packing. I also have a wheelset from the same store I need shipped. I was just going to send them a Ship Bikes ewheel box but it would be great to get those boxed and shipped as well,

Thank you in advance for any recommendations.

Last edited by lorica; 10-27-19 at 07:15 PM. Reason: More information
Old 10-28-19, 06:50 AM
xiaoman1 

Bikes: A few too many

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 2,178 Times in 1,182 Posts
Why not do a google search to find shops in the area and give them a call, that is what I have done and it usually leads to we can do it or a recommendation....BTW, you will love the BL, super quick, agile and edgy.
Best, Ben
Best, Ben
Old 10-28-19, 05:38 PM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 192 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2927 Post(s)
Liked 2,922 Times in 1,490 Posts
I think @sloar might be the closest member but he is still about an hour away.

Can you Uber it to a shop?

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 10-28-19, 07:30 PM
The Golden Boy 
Extraordinary Magnitude

Bikes: 1978 Trek TX700; 1978/79 Trek 736; 1984 Specialized Stumpjumper Sport; 1984 Schwinn Voyageur SP; 1985 Trek 620; 1985 Trek 720; 1986 Trek 400 Elance; 1987 Schwinn High Sierra; 1990 Miyata 1000LT

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Quoted: 2607 Post(s)
Liked 1,696 Times in 935 Posts
You may be able to search the facilitators thread:

https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...ling-able.html

Commence to jigglin’ huh?!?!

"But hey, always love to hear from opinionated amateurs." -says some guy to Mr. Marshall.
Old 11-24-19, 10:28 PM
lorica 

Bikes: 2011 Specialized Dolce Comp, 1990 Cannondale Black Lightning and several other vintage

Thank you...

Thank you to those who replied. As both a newbie and a digital immigrant, I had trouble over the past weeks in going back to find this post and seeing replies. I was expecting to find a link to my posts in my profile but finally found it under tools.

It's going to cost more than I had hoped to pick it up and put it in a box but I'm going to use the mobile service from the Indy Bike Garage - $100 to pick it up and pack in box. I'm going to pay for the shipping label directly though either Bike Flights or Ship Bikes. Cost is about half the cost of pick up and packing.

It appears to be mostly original except the wheelset, saddle and pedals. I'll post photos when I get it and as I restore it. Will have to wait until I have enough points here to post photos. The size of the frame wasn't disclosed but I think it's probably too large for me. From the photos I'm guessing it's 55 to 57 cm. I get satisfaction from restoring vintage beauties even when they have to go to a new home when finished. I've also been known to used 650c wheels with long-reach brakes to be able to ride an otherwise too large frame.

Last edited by lorica; 11-24-19 at 10:33 PM. Reason: Correct typo and add statement
Likes For lorica:
Old 11-24-19, 10:50 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3870 Post(s)
Liked 6,461 Times in 3,194 Posts
Originally Posted by lorica
As both a newbie and a digital immigrant ...
Digital immigrant? Like a Mooninite?
Likes For SurferRosa:
Old 11-24-19, 11:18 PM
lorica 

Digital native: Someone who grew up with computers, cell phones and other such technology. Digital devices are second nature and intuitive.
Digital immigrant: Vintage people like me who grew up before telephone answering machines.
Likes For lorica:
Old 11-25-19, 11:11 AM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1299 Post(s)
Quoted: 4677 Post(s)
Liked 5,790 Times in 2,279 Posts
Originally Posted by lorica
Digital native: Someone who grew up with computers, cell phones and other such technology. Digital devices are second nature and intuitive.
Digital immigrant: Vintage people like me who grew up before telephone answering machines.
Many (most?) of us resemble that remark.
Old 11-25-19, 07:31 PM
top506
Death fork? Naaaah!!

Bikes: Seriously downsizing.

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 559 Post(s)
Liked 627 Times in 280 Posts
Originally Posted by gugie
As I often point out to my daughters, vintage people created the digital world.

(looking for a picture and not seeing it? Thank the Photobucket fiasco.PM me and I'll link it up.)
Likes For top506:
Old 11-25-19, 09:05 PM
xiaoman1 

Bikes: A few too many

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 2,178 Times in 1,182 Posts
Originally Posted by top506
As I often point out to my daughters, vintage people created the digital world.

And with a pencil no less!
Likes For xiaoman1:
Old 11-25-19, 10:31 PM
Sandstrom

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 73 Times in 45 Posts
Originally Posted by xiaoman1
And with a pencil no less!
And Sliderule!

Likes For Sandstrom:
Old 11-26-19, 10:56 AM
Cycle Tourist

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked 207 Times in 126 Posts
Originally Posted by gugie
When, "drop a dime" meant something completely different.
Old 11-26-19, 11:44 AM
ryansu

Bikes: 2009 Handsome Devil, 1987 Trek 520 Cirrus, 1978 Motobecane Grand Touring, 1987 Nishiki Cresta GT, 1989 Specialized Allez Former bikes; 1986 Miyata Trail Runner, 1979 Miyata 912, 2011 VO Rando, 1999 Cannondale R800, 1986 Schwinn Passage

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 796 Post(s)
Liked 522 Times in 367 Posts
rotary dial baby! (dad whats a payphone?)

(
Likes For ryansu:
Old 11-26-19, 01:46 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3870 Post(s)
Liked 6,461 Times in 3,194 Posts
You'd have to be pretty old not to grow up in our digital world. The PC came out around 1980. That's about 40 years ago. So if you were over the hill then, you're probably 100 or so now.
Old 11-26-19, 02:35 PM
UKFan4Sure
Useless Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 380 Post(s)
Liked 181 Times in 113 Posts
Originally Posted by SurferRosa
You'd have to be pretty old not to grow up in our digital world. The PC came out around 1980. That's about 40 years ago. So if you were over the hill then, you're probably 100 or so now.
Ok, Ok... I normally shrug these comments off. I did my first programming on something called a Commodore PET computer. That was 1978. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Commodore_PET

In 1980, FORTRAN was in full swing and I took those classes also. Nevermind my sadistic engineering / programming professor had us solving equations in code that I couldn't even solve on paper... arrrgh!

My first PC was in 1985 and I paid a whopping $1300 (in 1985 dollars!) for it. It came with two 5.25 floppies and 68K memory. I don't remember exactly, but I don't think it even had a hard drive.

Did out OP ever find his way through this debacle?
Old 11-26-19, 04:08 PM
lorica 

Originally Posted by UKFan4Sure
Ok, Ok... I normally shrug these comments off. I did my first programming on something called a Commodore PET computer. That was 1978. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Commodore_PET

In 1980, FORTRAN was in full swing and I took those classes also. Nevermind my sadistic engineering / programming professor had us solving equations in code that I couldn't even solve on paper... arrrgh!

My first PC was in 1985 and I paid a whopping $1300 (in 1985 dollars!) for it. It came with two 5.25 floppies and 68K memory. I don't remember exactly, but I don't think it even had a hard drive.

Did out OP ever find his way through this debacle?
I'm still trying to learn the ins and outs of this forum. I received a PM I would like to respond to but can't until I have 10 posts. Only 5 posts are allowed per day. Maybe today I'll reach that number. I know what the PM said but not who sent it (received email). I paid for a trial premium membership which doesn't change the minimum 10 post requirement.

The first PC I ever used was in grad school in 1981. It was my preceptor's Radio Shack TRS 80 and had dual 8 or 9" floppies. In 1982 I graduated to both an Apple IIc and an IBM clone. My first home computer was an Epson Equity 1, I paid $900 not including the dot matrix printer, It had a 30K hard drive and a 5 1/4 floppy. I also bought one for my parents that only had dual floppies.
Old 11-26-19, 07:06 PM
Mad Honk 

Bikes: Paramount, Faggin, Ochsner, Ciocc, Basso

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 1301 Post(s)
Liked 1,903 Times in 1,137 Posts
lorica,
Respond to this post and you'll be closer. As a delivery person for a local university, I was walking down the hall of a building soon to be renovated that housed one of the earliest cyclotrons in the US. The hall had an old payphone space built into it. A student noticed the Phone Booth signage on it and commented: "How cool is that? They have a space where you can make a cell phone call in private!
I still chuckle about it. Smiles, MH

Last edited by Mad Honk; 01-28-20 at 07:42 PM.
Likes For Mad Honk:
Old 01-28-20, 05:19 PM
lorica 

Originally Posted by Mad Honk
lorica,
Respond to this post and you'll be closer. As a delivery person for a local university, I was walking down the hall of a building soon to be renovated that house one of the earliest cyclotrons in the US. The hall had an old payphone space built into it. A student noticed the Phone Booth signage on it and commented: "How cool is that? They have a space where you can make a cell phone call in private!
I still chuckle about it. Smiles, MH
That is hilarious!
Old 01-28-20, 05:40 PM
lorica 

Listing photo of my 1990 Cannondale Black Lightning when purchased,

Update on my Black Lightning... I received it several weeks ago and was pleased to see that it was in decent condition cosmetically. It's disassembled now to clean and lube all of the parts and re-grease the headset bearings (haven't yet removed the bottom bracket). The somewhat rusty chain came to life with a soak in Evaporust followed by a soak in penetrating oil and finally ultrasonic cleaning. It has all original 1990 components except the saddle, pedals and wheelset. It came with the black Strong seatpost like the 1989 version which I like better. Although I have a Wolber GTX wheelset, it has polished alloy Shimano 105 hubs instead of the black Sansin hubs. I'd like to find original wheels for it. Any leads would be appreciated.

The frame is a 54.5cm, which is too large for me so the frame or entire bike it may end up for sale. As an experiment, I'll build it with a 650c black Velocity Deep V wheelset I have and Tektro long-reach brake calipers to see if it is a viable ride. Long term, I'd like a 50cm or so BL. Again, any leads on a frame or complete bike in that size is also appreciated (any of the 4 years made).

I'll post photos as it progresses.

Last edited by lorica; 01-28-20 at 05:57 PM. Reason: Try to post a photo,
Old 01-29-20, 05:19 PM
Mad Honk 

Bikes: Paramount, Faggin, Ochsner, Ciocc, Basso

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 1301 Post(s)
Liked 1,903 Times in 1,137 Posts
Lori,
This isn't a Goodwill auction, but maybe you'll like it's content.

says 50 cm on seat tube, Al frame Carpet fiber fork.

Spare parts I was going to use on it.
I have to dig around on the workbench. I know there is a Trek hanger and seat clamp on it somewhere. No front wheel for it yet, but one may show up soon. Lemme know,via PM Smiles, MH
Old 01-30-20, 10:20 PM
lorica 

MH: I like it but it's extremely similar to my modern road bike - a 2011 Specialized Dolce Comp. Here it is at a pit stop on the Newport Beach Back Bay trail. Even the paint job is similar.