Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

How to sell a bike...anytime

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-19, 04:31 PM
Mr. Spadoni 

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 354 Post(s)
Liked 404 Times in 217 Posts

The pies were done, dishes washed, just waiting to head to the in-laws for the big meal. I headed out for a bit of appetite enhancement aka a ride.

passing a local shop, I saw a bike parked in front. As I knew the shop was closed, I stopped to check it out. Was the bike one of the used bikes for sale that had been forgotten?

it was used, but not left out front by accident. It was locked. A sign taped to it gave the shop owners email, and a note that with a PayPal payment, he would send the combo to the lock and you could ride away. Oh, and if you wanted the lock, it was five bucks more.

Maybe I should try this to sell a couple bikes that seem like too much trouble to Craigslist. Park them near a college or some place where there would be customers. Yeah, there is the risk of theft but maybe people are better that that.

In any case, I sure like the combination of internet sales, ease of interface, and instant delivery that the shop has put together.

Likes For Mr. Spadoni:
Old 11-28-19, 05:49 PM
Bad Lag

Bikes: 1974 Bob Jackson - Nuovo Record, Brooks Pro, Clips & Straps

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked 794 Times in 452 Posts
Awesome marketing approach, truly awesome.
Likes For Bad Lag:
Old 11-28-19, 05:52 PM
SoccerBallXan

Bikes: Many!

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked 206 Times in 124 Posts
Great idea, but unfortunately this wouldn’t last overnight where I live...
Likes For SoccerBallXan:
Old 11-28-19, 06:00 PM
smontanaro 

Bikes: many

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 1442 Post(s)
Liked 1,387 Times in 758 Posts
I've seen something similar here in Chicago, but (as far as I know) not LBS-affiliated. During the warmer months there are often two or three low-end bikes for sale (<$50) along the Lakefront Trail, chained to bike racks.
Old 11-28-19, 06:10 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3869 Post(s)
Liked 6,461 Times in 3,194 Posts
Bring tools and break it down to the bare frame. I mean, remove everything, even the pressed-in headset cups. Maybe leave the chain, for kicks. Then email a pic of just the frame locked, asking the owner how much he wants for it. You'll have to figure out the camera situation first, but that shouldn't be too much trouble.

Happy Thanksgiving!
Likes For SurferRosa:
Old 11-28-19, 07:53 PM
Velo Mule

Bikes: Trek 800 x 2, Schwinn Heavy Duti, Schwinn Traveler, Schwinn Le Tour Luxe, Schwinn Continental, Cannondale M400 and Lambert, Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 809 Post(s)
Liked 1,018 Times in 664 Posts
It looks like a nice bike with probably good wheels on it. It is an interesting sales approach especially since I have be having problems flipping bikes lately.

Theft of the wheels and seat could be an issue. The other issue is that being left out in the weather is not good either.
Old 11-29-19, 08:17 AM
schundog

Bikes: Masi CXR, Trek Crossrip 3, Trek 5500 OCLV, 1982 Bianchi SS, Civia Kingfield Belt-Drive Commuter, Cannondale T700, Cannondale R600, Cannondale R800, Centurion Dave Scott Ironman Expert, 1988 Peugeot Nice, Marin Bobcat Trail 3 29er MTB.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked 54 Times in 26 Posts
What a great idea for lower-end bikes! I might try this, even though I agree with the pitfalls mentioned above.
Old 11-29-19, 08:45 AM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Bikes: https://www.theheadbadge.com

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Quoted: 2420 Post(s)
Liked 4,381 Times in 2,090 Posts
Originally Posted by SurferRosa
Bring tools and break it down to the bare frame. I mean, remove everything, even the pressed-in headset cups. Maybe leave the chain, for kicks. Then email a pic of just the frame locked, asking the owner how much he wants for it. You'll have to figure out the camera situation first, but that shouldn't be too much trouble.

Happy Thanksgiving!
If I were the shop owner, I'd immediately up the stakes by putting an ofo out there. The kind with all the possible security hardware.

"Try this on for size, wise guy."

-Kurt

Old 11-29-19, 09:55 AM
Mr. Spadoni 

Originally Posted by cudak888
if i were the shop owner, i'd immediately up the stakes by putting an ofo out there. The kind with all the possible security hardware.

"try this on for size, wise guy."

-kurt
ofo ?
Likes For Mr. Spadoni:
Old 11-29-19, 12:26 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Originally Posted by Mr. Spadoni
ofo ?
Bright yellow plastic-looking thing from china you can rent for a dollar.
Old 11-29-19, 04:02 PM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Bikes: https://www.theheadbadge.com

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Quoted: 2420 Post(s)
Liked 4,381 Times in 2,090 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr. Spadoni
ofo ?
Dockless bicycle with dockless bicycle anti-theft hardware. For those not in the know, a Gator Grip ain't going to cut it. https://bikesharemuseum.com/fix-an-ofo-bicycle/

Since ofo left the US, there's quite a few of them around for sale/donated, so it's one of the few dockless bikes you can find out there or sale. Granted, the explanation just ruined the joke

Originally Posted by SurferRosa
Bright yellow plastic-looking thing from china you can rent for a dollar.
Used to be able to rent for a dollar. The company went belly up in the States, and their status in China is questionable.

You're more likely to find them for sale for $50-75 where they've been sold or donated off. One LBS was working with someone in North Carolina who had literal 40' shipping containers of them, brand new:

I don't knock these bikes at all for what they are, or where they come from. Many of them are a spiritual successor to the Schwinn Racer formula: Take one 3-speed IGH hub, lace it to some tough wheels, mate to heavy but kid-proof frame, and throw it out to the world to wreck. Most of them have modern 6v 2.4w front generator hubs and band + roller brakes, so they usually have a leg up on the old Racers for features and stopping power too.

If I could Thanos-snap all the bicycle shaped objects out of Tar-Mart with the caveat that they'd have to be replaced with equally affordable equipment, 3-speed dockless bikes would be my first pick.

-Kurt

Last edited by cudak888; 11-29-19 at 04:08 PM.
Old 11-29-19, 06:26 PM
Mr. Spadoni 

Thanks for the explanations. Ofo seems to have skipped Portland. Just as well. Its undocked bikes likely would be subject to the same force that draws electric scooters to their demise at the bottom of the Willamette River.

But issues with theft aside, the shop in question does most of its work in repairs and builds. They end up with used parts that they sell cheap. My guess is that the owner was looking around the shop, and saw he was getting a few too many parts. Probably figured he could put a bike together and put it out for sale. If it sells, great. If it rides away, well, the parts were going to go for pennies on the dollar and he would only be out his time. I’ll route tomorrow’s ride past the shop to sell if I am right.
Likes For Mr. Spadoni:
Old 11-29-19, 07:47 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Looks like a nice, matching wheelset...