Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

I really like the C&V subforum!

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

I really like the C&V subforum!

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-19, 08:08 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4511 Post(s)
Liked 6,378 Times in 3,667 Posts
Originally Posted by francophile
This is one of those "so true it hurts" statements
As something from Monty Python plays off in the background.
Likes For merziac:
Old 12-02-19, 08:20 PM
jackbombay

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 457 Post(s)
Liked 462 Times in 270 Posts
Originally Posted by dedhed
Get a Suntour with the Quick Cage and you might not even have to break the chain.
The Suntour I purchased does have the quick cage, but I do always ride with a chain tool too :-)
Old 12-02-19, 08:28 PM
jackbombay

Originally Posted by merziac
As something from Monty Python plays off in the background.
The Monty Python is some pretty top shelf entertainment, and as my latest acquisition, the Super Course, isn't a top of the line bike I suggest we substitute Benny Hill in place of Monty Python, if at some point I end up with a some true top of the line C&V steel in my stable we could upgrade to Monty Python then?
Likes For jackbombay:
Old 12-02-19, 08:38 PM
francophile 
PM me your cotters

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Quoted: 1137 Post(s)
Liked 590 Times in 422 Posts
Old 12-02-19, 08:46 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Originally Posted by jackbombay
The Monty Python is some pretty top shelf entertainment, and as my latest acquisition, the Super Course, isn't a top of the line bike I suggest we substitute Benny Hill in place of Monty Python, if at some point I end up with a some true top of the line C&V steel in my stable we could upgrade to Monty Python then?
Sure, but we're referencing the misery and enabling which I can assure you is often very top shelf.

Besides, the SC is a fine example of a bike that punches well above its weight class, many consider it to have a more magical ride, vibe, feel than those above it.

I had one a bit newer that absolutely flew even with me on it and was a stellar ride, bent fork and all.
Old 12-02-19, 09:07 PM
TriBiker19 
Just call me Carrie

Bikes: '82 Fuji Supreme, '85 Shogun 200, '89 Centurion Ironman Master, '89 Centurion Ironman Expert

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 308 Post(s)
Liked 178 Times in 105 Posts
The Raleigh Super Course I posted earlier in the thread now belongs to me!

Well, it's in Portland Oregon in my buddies garage, but I'll be there in a couple of weeks :-)
Ahhhh, you have an enabler/facilitator. My best friend is in the Seattle area and has agreed to pick up anything I find in her area and send it to me. Heck, her husband would get a kick out of packing a bike to mail it. He's quirky that way.
Old 12-02-19, 09:49 PM
jackbombay

Originally Posted by merziac
Besides, the SC is a fine example of a bike that punches well above its weight class, many consider it to have a more magical ride, vibe, feel than those above it.
It's the non 531 rear triangle that makes it so nice?
Old 12-02-19, 09:53 PM
merziac

It's the non 531 rear triangle that makes it so nice?
Could be, we'll never know, well above our pay grade.
Likes For merziac:
Old 12-03-19, 05:23 PM
qcpmsame 
Semper Fi

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked 358 Times in 241 Posts
Would it count if I rode the simplex till they broke, BUT, carried the Sun Tour VX with me so I could repair on the roadside and not walk home?

;-)
Gathering up those bonus points are we? You carry a spare RD, and use it to replace a pranged Delrin Simplex, so you continue your ride, you will get "Likes" and kudos, plus, you'll gain plenty of Forum cred . Next thing you know you'll be asking whether it's a Eurpoean Swallow or an African Swallow carrying the coconut.....Holy hand grenade of Antioch!

I Can Do All Things Through Him, Who Gives Me Strength. Philippians 4:13

Last edited by qcpmsame; 12-03-19 at 05:26 PM.
Old 12-03-19, 06:44 PM
jackbombay

Originally Posted by qcpmsame
You carry a spare RD, and use it to replace a pranged Delrin Simplex, so you continue your ride...
If the bike is fixed the ride must continue!
Likes For jackbombay:
Old 12-03-19, 08:14 PM
TriBiker19 
Just call me Carrie

Bikes: '82 Fuji Supreme, '85 Shogun 200, '89 Centurion Ironman Master, '89 Centurion Ironman Expert

Gathering up those bonus points are we? You carry a spare RD, and use it to replace a pranged Delrin Simplex, so you continue your ride, you will get "Likes" and kudos, plus, you'll gain plenty of Forum cred . Next thing you know you'll be asking whether it's a Eurpoean Swallow or an African Swallow carrying the coconut.....Holy hand grenade of Antioch!
I carry a pathetic look and the ability to ask for help like I'm incompetent. (Which is mostly true.) My last race I was walking my bike up a steep hill and a mechanic came running toward me. "Bike trouble?" he asked. "Weak rider," I replied. "Got a fix for her?" Sadly, no.

What is the airspeed velocity of that sparrow, again?
Old 12-03-19, 10:28 PM
jackbombay

I was digging through parts today, and I came across a brand new never mounted 27" specialized touring turbo tire for my "new bike", wish I had 2, but one is better than none!

Old 12-04-19, 04:20 PM
qcpmsame 
Semper Fi

Originally Posted by TriBiker19
snip....What is the airspeed velocity of that sparrow, again?
Depends on whether its a European Swallow, or an African Swallow.......however you asked about sparrows

Sparrows are missiles hung on aircraft and ride radar beams into a bogey's aircraft, AMRAAMs (or Slammers) are much more efficient.
Sorry I have absolutely no idea how to link in the video clip of the coconut scene from "Monty Python and the Holy Grail"

Bill

Old 12-04-19, 04:31 PM
francophile 
PM me your cotters

I was digging through parts today, and I came across a brand new never mounted 27" specialized touring turbo tire for my "new bike", wish I had 2, but one is better than none!
Damn. Thought I might've been able to help you, remembered I had an orphan downstairs... but appears mine is a Michelin Hi-Lite Comp 700x23

I swear I had one or two of those Specialized tires. I even remember the bike I bought them with (a Schwinn). Can't find for the life of me.

Old 12-04-19, 04:35 PM
francophile 
PM me your cotters

Sorry I have absolutely no idea how to link in the video clip of the coconut scene from "Monty Python and the Holy Grail"
Link assist:
Likes For francophile:
Old 12-04-19, 04:37 PM
qcpmsame 
Semper Fi

francophile thanks much, I kinda figured if I whined about my lack of IT skills someone would post the clip

You might watch eBay for a match, there are a few sellers that have listed vintage tires, but I am leery of using any tire with too many years on it, even if it was not mounted. Those were good tires, I've read many times where someone was searching for NOS examples.

Bill

Old 12-04-19, 04:44 PM
jackbombay

I swear I had one or two of those Specialized tires. I even remember the bike I bought them with (a Schwinn). Can't find for the life of me.
I'm sure you'll find it as soon as I purchase one to match :-P

You might watch eBay for a match, there are a few sellers that have listed vintage tires, but I am leery of using any tire with too many years on it, even if it was not mounted. Those were good tires, I've read many times where someone was searching for NOS examples.
I'll check ebay now, thanks for the tip!
Likes For jackbombay:
Old 12-04-19, 04:45 PM
francophile 
PM me your cotters

Meh, I'm in your camp about older tires. I have piles of older tubulars and a a few non. I'd rather hold this one for donation here and/or trade for parts or newer pairs than buy a match. Albeit, I've seen claims older tubulars being better than modern and more valuable, but ... can't get over the age.
Old 12-04-19, 04:53 PM
qcpmsame 
Semper Fi

Meh, I'm in your camp about older tires. I have piles of older tubulars and a a few non. I'd rather hold this one for donation here and/or trade for parts or newer pairs than buy a match. Albeit, I've seen claims older tubulars being better than modern and more valuable, but ... can't get over the age.
I've had to suppress loud laughs at the prices asked for even hardened/checked sidewalls, on some old tires listed on eBay. One particular seller, (a shop with an eBay store,) who shall remain nameless, is either really proud of their offerings or extremely optimistic about their pricing.

Bill

Old 12-04-19, 10:54 PM
TriBiker19 
Just call me Carrie

Depends on whether its a European Swallow, or an African Swallow.......however you asked about sparrows
Swallow, sparrow...two small fast birds with only a couple of letter swaps. You knew what I mean, Bill!

Reminds me of a college debate competition I attended where some poor guy referred to an "organism" as an "organ". The opposing team had a field day with that one. "You can't just pop out a kidney and keep it as a pet."
Old 12-06-19, 07:14 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,409 Times in 909 Posts
Reminds me of a college debate competition I attended where some poor guy referred to an "organism" as an "organ". The opposing team had a field day with that one. "You can't just pop out a kidney and keep it as a pet."
Sure you can; you just have to shake the jar once in a while to make it swim.
Old 12-06-19, 07:24 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

I've found the folks here to be quite exceptional. It's probably the best forum I've been on in a long time.

Everyone needs a good vintage road bike. You know you wanna...
+1
We will help you mess up bikes in complex and spectacular ways. It's what we do.

Last edited by RobbieTunes; 12-09-19 at 12:10 PM.
Likes For RobbieTunes:
Old 12-06-19, 07:36 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Sparrows are missiles hung on aircraft and ride radar beams into a bogey's aircraft, AMRAAMs (or Slammers) are much more efficient.

Bill
Sparrows for the Skyhawks, baby!
Likes For RobbieTunes:
Old 12-06-19, 08:18 PM
crank_addict
Banned

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1361 Post(s)
Liked 423 Times in 282 Posts
....with exception to some mad admin that wrongly censors cycling topics. So bad, he probably lost a week of sleep after seeing this. Lol

(No joke! If you would have the chance to see his lengthy threatening PM, you'd think he's got a spoke driven, ear to ear through his head.)

Cheers in the United States of America!

Last edited by crank_addict; 12-06-19 at 08:35 PM.
Old 12-06-19, 08:50 PM
jackbombay

Originally Posted by RobbieTunes
+1
We will help you mess up bikes in complex and soectacular ways.
I think I have that all figured out on my own :-P

I've spent about 25 hours over the last 3 days in my garage cutting grinding and welding, and the result of my efforts is, this,

And here is some video of me riding it,

The upper wheels rotate backwards when you ride forwards. The upper rear wheel spins relative to chain speed, the upper front wheel spins relative to ground speed, and the front brake operates on the upper front wheel and slows the bike through the front chain to the lower front wheel. The rear brake works on the lower rear wheel, and if you come to a stop with only it, the upper 2 wheels will continue to spin backwards as they are freewheeling in that direction. It still needs a bit of crap welded to it to make it easier to get started on from flat ground, and it needs front and rear derailleurs hooked up, but I’d kinda like to run a Sturmey archer 3 speed in it, hmmmmm... geeking out hard with the welder the last few days obviously. All the bikes that went into this came from the dump! And, yea, I'm having a hard time coming up with a reason that I shouldn't build up a 26" sturmey wheel for the back of this....
Likes For jackbombay:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.