Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Biking and Chafing/Bleeding

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Biking and Chafing/Bleeding

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-19, 11:05 PM
rseeker

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 318 Post(s)
Liked 149 Times in 104 Posts
Originally Posted by Homebrew01
There are probably non-cycling specific undies that will work with street clothes. Tight fitting, to avoid bunching and folds is probably the thing to look for.
That's my scenario. Russell brand CoolForce Performance boxer briefs, 88% polyester 12% spandex. From Walmart, I don't remember the price but I'll guess $9.00 for a two-pack. They works great under jeans, and are very clearly better than wearing cotton boxer briefs, which chafe my inner thigh.
Old 12-17-19, 11:05 PM
billyO13

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
MOD NOTE TO ALL: The topic of this thread is saddles & clothing to prevent abrasion.

Title edited to better reflect the OP's concerns.
Thank you.
Old 12-18-19, 03:37 AM
nomadmax 

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked 1,824 Times in 878 Posts
Originally Posted by delbiker1
If the Op only wanted advice on the saddle, he could have done so without all the bloody extraneous BS.
THAT ^ right there.
Likes For nomadmax:
Old 12-18-19, 04:58 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
I have had saddles sores and "blood blisters" on occasion from saddles that don't fit me. I think a compatible saddle is primary, with clothing 2nd. There are probably non-cycling specific undies that will work with street clothes. Tight fitting, to avoid bunching and folds is probably the thing to look for.

Good fitting boxer briefs would fit that description.
Old 12-18-19, 06:37 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3660 Post(s)
Liked 5,406 Times in 2,745 Posts
This is not a medical advice thread.
Thanks for clarifying. The "bloody stools" in original post apparently had lots of us thinking otherwise.
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 12-18-19, 06:57 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Originally Posted by billyO13
Due to occasional seizures, a little over a month ago, I made the transition to being a full time bike commuter because driving a 1-ton diesel in now a bad idea and unsafe for the public.
Since this thread has already survived one change in direction.... If I were in your situation I would consider a recumbent trike. If you suffered some discombobulation while riding, you wouldn't fall off and be injured. It would also resolve your clothing/saddle issues. It shouldn't be such a big deal to give up driving but in the US it can be very inconvenient.
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 12-18-19, 10:32 AM
billyO13

Originally Posted by Leisesturm
When have you ever known bleeding to be a result of the worst saddle choice or type of shorts used?
So you're saying you've never had any experience with getting a blister after wearing new shoes that don't fit?

And you've never developed a callous (tougher skin, for those of you who need things spelled out) in an area where a blister was that prevents blisters (read: open wound) in the future?

Wow, lucky you.

Or perhaps I should feel sorry for you because you're in for a whole lot of pain and disappointment in the future as you get older and your body starts breaking down....
Old 12-18-19, 10:45 AM
billyO13

Originally Posted by nomadmax
THAT ^ right there.
The main reason for going into a little more detail than YOU want, was that if I just said sore butt, how many replies would I have gotten suggesting I get my ischial tuberosity width measured to make sure my saddle was the right size? Which would have been worthless info for this problem.
Heck, how many folks have advised me to see a doctor when I'm asking about bike seats? Just as I wouldn't ask another random biker the best medication to control seizure, I'm not going to ask a doctor on what's the best bike seat to prevent abrasion in my crotch.

Another reason why I worded it this way is so that in the future, folks who might not feel comfortable talking about the more personal body parts/problems can do a search for this specific problem. I was shocked at the lack of relevant web pages that came up when I did a search on as many variations of wording I could come up with on my specific problem related to biking: (sore bottom, sore prostate, inflamed prostate, inflamed perineum...etc...)
Old 12-18-19, 10:47 AM
billyO13

Originally Posted by shelbyfv
Since this thread has already survived one change in direction.... If I were in your situation I would consider a recumbent trike.
Thanks for the thought and concern. My seizures are being managed adequately for now.

I think.

It shouldn't be such a big deal to give up driving but in the US it can be very inconvenient.
I wish I could agree. It probably would have been a bit easier if: (a) I didn't live alone on a small farm 45 minutes from the nearest town of any size. (b) I didn't have to move a blackmith shop with related heavy tooling and materials. This did show me who my real friends were, though. or (c) my career wasn't driving around treating homebound patients.
But as you implied (to me at least) things could definitely be worse.

Last edited by billyO13; 12-18-19 at 10:56 AM.
Old 12-18-19, 11:42 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Yes, I'm saying it's unfortunate that we are forced to be so dependent on our cars, especially rural folks. It should be easier for us
Old 12-18-19, 11:49 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Thanks for the thought and concern. My seizures are being managed adequately for now.

I think.

Have you considered starting a thread about seizure disorder and bicycling? Just sort of describing what you're doing and how you do or don't have to adapt your riding. I know absolutely nothing about it, and would be interested in hearing about it. But, far more important than my curiosity, I ask because you mentioned wanting this thread to be searchable as a resource for people about a problem they're not anxious to discuss in public. I'm thinking your experiences might be useful to someone with seizures considering cycling as an activity, plus I often find if I bring up a topic here, I get surprised by how many people are dealing with something similar, often with a different approach.

One last word about the see a doctor issue--I just don't think it's uncommon to be mistaken about the cause of bleeding in that area and allow a condition to go untreated too long. That's what happened to me. I wouldn't presume to tell you that's the case here, just ask you to keep an open mind if nothing you're trying fixes things.

Let's get your damn bum-bum fixed. We need to keep you flying!

Last thing--I don't think you need to respond anymore to people who want to tell you how you should have started this thread. That horse be real, real dead. Whether you were right or not to do it the way you did, I admire your reasons for it.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 12-18-19, 11:59 AM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2494 Post(s)
Liked 738 Times in 522 Posts
So you're saying you've never had any experience with getting a blister after wearing new shoes that don't fit?
You deliberately misled this entire forum by using trigger words that derailed everyone's thinking. That's on you. You were never going to get quality
advice. You had to know that. Moreover your faux incredulity over people still advising you to see a doctor even though you asked them not to? A
Medical Practitioner should have taken some basic Psychology on their way to certification. I'm sure you knew it would be impossible to get most
readers past the low hanging trigger words and symptoms.
Old 12-18-19, 12:05 PM
billyO13

Yes, I'm saying it's unfortunate that we are forced to be so dependent on our cars, especially rural folks. It should be easier for us
I hear you!!!

As I get older, I'm wondering if I should have put a bit more effort (or some effort, as the case may be) into finding someone to spend the rest of my life with....Being single and alone is great...until you need to rely on anyone else for anything, that is.
Old 12-18-19, 12:10 PM
billyO13

I'm sure you knew it would be impossible to get most readers past the low hanging trigger words and symptoms.
No, I try not to assume that people are idiots but rather believe that everybody has a brain. Unfortunately. it seems like most folks are more than willing to prove that they are not willing to put forth the effort and use it.
Old 12-18-19, 12:13 PM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2494 Post(s)
Liked 738 Times in 522 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
One last word about the see a doctor issue--I just don't think it's uncommon to be mistaken about the cause of bleeding in that area and allow a condition to go untreated too long. That's what happened to me. I wouldn't presume to tell you that's the case here, just ask you to keep an open mind if nothing you're trying fixes things.
I think I speak for everyone (except you, obviously) when I say that I am sure I would know the difference between a saddle sore and something internal! Give me a break. It took how many posts before we learned it wasn't actually blood from inside but external, and not from the anal area at all. All that drama and you are willing to let bygones be bygones when the o.p. still engages people in a way that justifies his initial misdirection? You go ahead, I will not be shamed into silence by thinly veiled censure for having an opinion about such obvious misdirection.

Likes For Leisesturm:
Old 12-18-19, 12:42 PM
billyO13

Have you considered starting a thread about seizure disorder and bicycling? ...I'm thinking your experiences might be useful to someone with seizures considering cycling as an activity, plus I often find if I bring up a topic here, I get surprised by how many people are dealing with something similar, often with a different approach.
Interesting idea, but at first glance, I'm not sure how useful this would be, in general. In my limited experience (3+ years since my diagnosis) seizures are highly variable and individual, although there are common symptoms.

To be more specific about my disorder, (for those who are interested) I have what's called Focal Impaired Awareness Epilepsy (formerly known as Complex Partial Seizures).
Focal - because they have identified via EMG study exactly where my, what I call "short circuit" is, it's in my left temporal lobe. This is one of the main areas for verbal communication. In the past years, I've had one episode where I was talking to a colleague and suddenly "word salad" (to quote her) was all that was coming out of my mouth. Random words. I was aware that I wasn't making my point clear, but wasn't aware that it was just random words coming out. Once, while talking to another friend, I suddenly lost the ability to verbalize for a few minutes. I was aware of what was going on and used hand signals and facial gestures to tell him not to worry and just give me a few minutes until it passed and I resumed the conversation. The third time i was tying an e-mail and suddenly couldn't read anything. By now, I recognized what was going on, so I made some coffee, and played with my pup until it passed. To be honest, it was kind of fun watching the letters on the computer screen re-arrange themselves into readable sentences.
Impaired Awareness - because the "short circuit" can and has on occasion spread to the rest of the brain, causing me to be unaware of my surroundings.
This has happened 2 times to me. It seems as if this, more generalized "short circuit" has been preceded by what's know as an 'aura'. Hard to describe what this feels like, but I'd say it's a light-headed feeling similar to how you'd feel after pulling one or two all-nighters or having really low blood sugar.
So I just need to pay attention and when I start to feel this, I just have to stop what I'm doing, make sure I'm safe and have a place to sit down if needed and wait the few minutes for it to pass. And it's a lot easier to pull over on a bike than a car, and MUCH safer for everyone else around me.

According to medical texts there are many other possible symptoms, such as hearing things/ringing in the ears, seeing things/flashes of light, smelling things, out of body experiences, and deja vu feelings. Since my diagnosis, I've kept a pretty detailed diary noting any "strange" feelings or other symptoms, and when I mention these things to my neurologist at appointments after he asks me if I've had any seizures, and asks if these things count as seizures, he says the only real way to know is they were doing an EEG at these times.

So I'm not sure how beneficial/useful a thread like this would be. But I do like how you think....

Let's get your damn bum-bum fixed. We need to keep you flying!
Agreed! And I think I'm well on my way with the new saddle.

Last thing--I don't think you need to respond anymore to people who want to tell you how you should have started this thread. That horse be real, real dead. Whether you were right or not to do it the way you did, I admire your reasons for it.
Good point, and you are right. It's just that I'm an educator at my core and believe that everyone can reform and change if just given the right prodding and direction.

A boy can dream, eh???
Likes For billyO13:
Old 12-18-19, 12:50 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

I think I speak for everyone (except you, obviously) when I say that I am sure I would know the difference between a saddle sore and something internal! Give me a break. It took how many posts before we learned it wasn't actually blood from inside but external, and not from the anal area at all. All that drama and you are willing to let bygones be bygones when the o.p. still engages people in a way that justifies his initial misdirection? You go ahead, I will not be shamed into silence by thinly veiled censure for having an opinion about such obvious misdirection.

Y'know there's no way to read that without picturing you waving your itty-bitty fists.

Weirdly enough, it's a highly vascularized area, and it's very easy to be mistaken about the precise source of bright red blood. I never said I thought I had saddle sores, btw, that wasn't my mistake.

I can't believe how much OP has wronged you. Do you need counseling for PTSD?

Last edited by livedarklions; 12-18-19 at 01:02 PM.
Old 12-18-19, 04:08 PM
StanSeven
Administrator

Bikes: Cervelo C5, Guru Photon, Waterford, Specialized CX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 2,173 Times in 1,464 Posts
I think everything helpful about the original subject has been said. It can only get bad from now on. Thread closed.
Likes For StanSeven: