Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Abusive "Cyclist" On Morning Ride Rant

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Old 03-29-20, 10:32 AM
bpcyclist

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 451 Post(s)
Liked 364 Times in 227 Posts

So, headed out early this morning for a nice, easy 30 miler. Still dark, nobody out. Post-apocalyptic traffic situation. Sitting at a red light with a lone car to my left, waiting for it to turn. Suddenly, to my right, a "cyclist" cruises past me doing maybe 13 mph. As he blows through the light with absolutely zero hesitation whatsoever, he says rather loudly to me the rather unfriendly and socially inappropriate word for a human backside that begins with a and ends with e. Now, there is absolutely no traffic, given the viral situation and early hour, but this light is at a very busy and dangerous intersection and it is one I would never, ever run under any circumstances. But it is a pretty long one.

So, I had a moment to consider the rather shocking experience I had just been subjected to on my happy, pleasant little morning ride. And as I did, I became more and more angry. I am constitutionally exceedingly patient. I am virtually never angry about anything. Just does not hardly ever happen. Like, ever. I tend to live in acceptance most of the time. I have to, given my health situation.

Not today. Today, I decided, you know what--no, you don't get to blow through a red light with no taillight and no helmet and call me an a*****e. Not occurring today.

I waited for the light to change. It took forever. Finally, it did. He was way, way out in front of me. Maybe going more like 15 mph, actually. I took off. He stayed on the same normally very busy street and continued blowing through red light after red light. I took a left and rode along the waterfront where there are no lights and no people, due to the apocalypse. Finally caught up to him and asked him why he felt it necessary to call me an a*****e while I was trying to have a nice, pleasant, law-abiding ride. He said nothing. I asked again. We were both heading for the same bridge, as it turned out. I let him go on, thinking it was over. Then, twenty yards ahead of me, he started berating me again. More name-calling.

Was just not having it this morning. Caught up again and told him he was the reason people despise cyclists so much. That he had violated the law about ten times in the seven remarkably unpleasant minutes I had known him. That he had no freaking right to be calling other riders names and ruining their rides. Etc., etc. He called me a psycho. I did not appreciate that very much. Then, I told him what I really thought. I think there was some colorful language employed.

I watched him blow through another insanely dangerous intersection and went on about my own ride. Took maybe another three miles to calm down. So unusual for me to let someone rile me up like this. Just never happens. But you know what, I just wasn't having it this morning. These punks give us all a bad name. It's no wonder non-cyclists sometimes have such a negative take on us as a group.

I decided I would enjoy the rest of my fifteen miles. I said good morning to every single cyclist and runner I encountered on the way back. Every one of them replied in a friendly and cheerful tone. All of them. Most folks around here are pretty pleasant most of the time, as it turns out.

I know not to engage with people like this guy. I do. But something was different this morning. This moron had no right to run around spewing venom on citizens. So, I told him what I thought. And you know what? It felt pretty darn good...
Old 03-29-20, 11:13 AM
355Mono

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts
We all know exactly how you felt. Thank goodness your encounter did not escalate. But, I totally get it. I've had to concentrate on ridding my anger in as few miles as possible. It's actually a good challenge to calm myself, and save my ride.
Likes For 355Mono:
Old 03-29-20, 11:26 AM
gregf83 

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1186 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 177 Posts
It's not worth getting worked up over badly behaving motorists or cyclists. There are plenty of both and you'll just raise your stress levels if you get upset every time a motorist or cyclist does something dangerous or risky.
Old 03-29-20, 11:56 AM
bpcyclist

Originally Posted by gregf83
It's not worth getting worked up over badly behaving motorists or cyclists. There are plenty of both and you'll just raise your stress levels if you get upset every time a motorist or cyclist does something dangerous or risky.
Couldn't agree more. And it never, ever happens. But it did this morning...
Old 03-29-20, 12:11 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
We can't control the actions or words of others but we can control our reactions to them.
Old 03-29-20, 12:11 PM
CyclingBK

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 88 Times in 57 Posts
Unfortunately, you encountered a truly miserable person. Fortunately, most cyclists are cool.

And it’s good you called them out. Some days you might let it go but this time you wanted to deal with it and it made you feel better that you did.
Likes For CyclingBK:
Old 03-29-20, 12:26 PM
scott967

Bikes: 89 Paramount OS 84 Fuji Touring Series III New! 2013 Focus Izalco Ergoride

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 54 Posts
We've all experienced this. At my age, I've learned just to mutter an "eff you too" under my breath and not let it get to me. Can't say I'm perfect about following my own advice.

scott s.
Likes For scott967:
Old 03-29-20, 12:31 PM
Moe Zhoost
Half way there

Bikes: Many, and the list changes frequently

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 985 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 526 Posts
Don't let this guy pass his rage demons to you.
Likes For Moe Zhoost:
Old 03-29-20, 12:44 PM
Marylander

Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 95 Times in 70 Posts
One thing I've realized is that, in spite of not feeling stressed on a conscious level, this whole pandemic situation actually does have me stressed. This has been borne out by my inability to concentrate on my work. Sounds like, for you, it may be manifesting in an extra short temper.
Likes For Marylander:
Old 03-29-20, 12:46 PM
Ald1 

Bikes: Domane SLR 9 Fuji Gran Fondo 2.3 1978 Mercian

Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 7 Posts
I have a theory that (thankfully) only a small percentage of cyclist over train a lot and get very cranky in doing so and when they "just" need to hold x amount of watts for just a little more or their life has no meaning . Unfortunatly we are just another "fred" that gets in these guys way on training to get in the top 100 KOM on the local 3% 1/4 mile climb......
Likes For Ald1:
Old 03-29-20, 12:55 PM
Schwinneffect

Bikes: Invicta 3 speed

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 6 Posts
Dueling pistols

There used to be consequences for impolite behavior. A loudmouth idiot would get a punch in the nose at least and might even face death. Today the idiot is free to run his mouth, and you will face financial ruin or prison for getting involved. We do not live in a civilized society. Remember this and keep your cool.
Likes For Schwinneffect:
Old 03-29-20, 01:08 PM
Ludkeh
alpine cross trainer

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Quintara Roo Sendoza, DaVici In-2-Ition Tandem,

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 8 Posts
I would just let Darwinian selection take it's natural course,
Old 03-29-20, 01:11 PM
gregf83 

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1186 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 177 Posts
Originally Posted by Schwinneffect
There used to be consequences for impolite behavior. A loudmouth idiot would get a punch in the nose at least and might even face death. Today the idiot is free to run his mouth, and you will face financial ruin or prison for getting involved. We do not live in a civilized society. Remember this and keep your cool.
There's also a good chance the offensive cyclist was mentally challenged in some way. Better to let these things slide than go around punching everyone in the nose.
Old 03-29-20, 01:22 PM
billridesbikes

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 418 Times in 250 Posts
Originally Posted by Ludkeh
I would just let Darwinian selection take it's natural course,
Those guys always seem to have a guardian angel that protects them as they break every traffic law possible, while the cyclist that obeys all the rules of the road gets killed by a giant SUV making an illegal u-turn while the driver is checking his likes on Instagram.

I try my best to channel my inner Emily Post for all rides, sometimes I even succeed.
Likes For billridesbikes:
Old 03-29-20, 01:26 PM
Lazyass

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 2432 Post(s)
Liked 638 Times in 395 Posts
I would have pulled out my frame pump and did to him what the Italian pro racer did to Dave in Breaking Away.
Old 03-29-20, 02:32 PM
CyclingBK

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 88 Times in 57 Posts
Originally Posted by Lazyass
I would have pulled out my frame pump and did to him what the Italian pro racer did to Dave in Breaking Away.
Lol, well, that would have been a bit extreme...

I remember seeing that movie on TV in the 80s and it became a major favorite. So great. I used to actually get excited when I’d see it was on.

Likes For CyclingBK:
Old 03-29-20, 03:01 PM
bpcyclist

Originally Posted by caloso
We can't control the actions or words of others but we can control our reactions to them.
Touche. But apparently, not 100% of the time...
Likes For bpcyclist:
Old 03-29-20, 03:03 PM
bpcyclist

Originally Posted by Marylander
One thing I've realized is that, in spite of not feeling stressed on a conscious level, this whole pandemic situation actually does have me stressed. This has been borne out by my inability to concentrate on my work. Sounds like, for you, it may be manifesting in an extra short temper.
You may have a point.
Likes For bpcyclist:
Old 03-29-20, 03:08 PM
bpcyclist

Originally Posted by gregf83
There's also a good chance the offensive cyclist was mentally challenged in some way. Better to let these things slide than go around punching everyone in the nose.
Yes, certainly possible. I happen to be one of those mentally challenged individuals, myself. Manic people frequently do things like this when they become agitated. Totally possible--though I do kind of doubt it, based on the entire encounter. Thanks for pointing this out, though.
Likes For bpcyclist:
Old 03-29-20, 04:15 PM
CAT7RDR

Bikes: 1999 Schwinn Peloton Ultegra 10, Kestrel RT-1000 Ultegra, Trek Marlin 6 Deore 29'er

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 821 Post(s)
Liked 1,955 Times in 941 Posts
Classic sociopathic behaviors on his part. Being on a bike does make one civil. Don't take the bait and engage the Adam Henry's of the world. It could end badly for you. He did not care about the traffic laws and would have no issue assaulting you.

Last edited by CAT7RDR; 03-29-20 at 05:09 PM.
Likes For CAT7RDR:
Old 03-29-20, 04:39 PM
BobsPoprad

Bikes: Lemond Poprad, Cervelo Soloist, Cannondale F4, RANS Velocity Squared

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 45 Posts
Originally Posted by caloso
I think Marcus Aurelius said something similar
Likes For BobsPoprad:
Old 03-29-20, 04:39 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8253 Post(s)
Liked 8,962 Times in 4,447 Posts
Screw him! It's good that you called him out but it probably won't sink in. But it might.
Likes For big john:
Old 03-29-20, 04:56 PM
SethAZ 

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey R260, 2005 Diamondback 29er, 2003 Trek 2300

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 564 Post(s)
Liked 334 Times in 182 Posts
Originally Posted by scott967
We've all experienced this. At my age, I've learned just to mutter an "eff you too" under my breath and not let it get to me. Can't say I'm perfect about following my own advice.

scott s.
I had a guy in a red pickup truck "roll coal" on me three days ago. That is, he slowed down to pass me and then stomped on it or whatever he did to cause almost impenatrably black clouds of smoke to envelope me. Obviously a diesel truck that's been modified to pump way more fuel than it could burn. I'd seen Youtube videos where someone did this to someone, and was kind of shocked that some dickhead did it to me. I fantasized about tracking down that truck, putting on my ninja suit, and slashing his tires in the middle of the night. I wouldn't do it, of course, but one just can't help at least thinking it. It's hard to believe such people actually exist, sharing our air. We call these people "oxygen thieves."
Likes For SethAZ:
Old 03-29-20, 04:58 PM
grizzly59

Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked 262 Times in 164 Posts
Around here, when you meet someone who's off his meds, there's a small but not insignificant chance he's packing a gun.
Likes For grizzly59:
Old 03-29-20, 05:15 PM
eja_ bottecchia

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1020 Post(s)
Liked 463 Times in 293 Posts
Originally Posted by grizzly59
Around here, when you meet someone who's off his meds, there's a small but not insignificant chance he's packing a gun.
I am a prosecutor and I couldn’t agree with you more.

Having seen what I have seen over the years, I would let this crazy guy go and let nature take her course.
Likes For eja_ bottecchia:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.