Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Simplex plastic restoration

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-20, 04:06 PM
Brad L 

Bikes: Several

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked 1,037 Times in 321 Posts

For those of you needing a quick and easy way to restore the blackness to your gray, faded Delrin parts, I’ve found the perfect solution. The Simplex bracket on my newly acquired PX-10 was cracked when I bought it. A non-broken replacement bracket was donated to the cause, but like the original, had faded to an ashy gray.

First, I disassembled the derailleur as far as possible. The lever arm appears to be riveted, so it, the piston, and spring were left in place. Then everything got a thorough cleaning in the tank of mineral spirits.

Once completely dry, I gave the Delrin body a few quick sprays of Chemical Guys Black on Black, rotating the part until every side had a light coat. The Delrin turns black as soon as it’s sprayed, so it’s easy to tell where you've sprayed. Then just wipe it down and you’re done. Overspray won’t hurt or stain metal, glass, or paint as long as you wipe it off when you’re finished.

I used it on the Delrin shifter nuts last year on my Gitane and they’re still black after many miles.

Last edited by Brad L; 06-22-20 at 04:12 PM.
Likes For Brad L:
Old 06-23-20, 07:40 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4195 Post(s)
Liked 3,837 Times in 2,295 Posts
Neat cosmetic application but I doubt it does much for the structural degradation that Delrin suffers from. Take care how tight you torque the ft der clamping bolts. Andy
Old 06-24-20, 04:15 PM
Brad L 

Bikes: Several

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked 1,037 Times in 321 Posts
Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
Neat cosmetic application but I doubt it does much for the structural degradation that Delrin suffers from. Take care how tight you torque the ft der clamping bolts. Andy
I'm assuming it does absolutely nothing for its structural integrity, but it sure looks new. I'm going to be extremely careful when tightening the clamp and certainly hope my work isn't for nothing if it cracks.
Old 06-25-20, 06:37 AM
branko_76 

Bikes: ........................................ .....Holdsworth "Special"..... .......Falcon "Special".......... .........Miyata 912........... ........................................

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 702 Post(s)
Liked 671 Times in 419 Posts
I had the same results restoring a Simplex front, but I used water and a green scotch pad.
Old 06-25-20, 07:10 AM
Moe Zhoost
Half way there

Bikes: Many, and the list changes frequently

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 985 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 526 Posts
I think that this treatment makes the components look great. I wonder, though, if it would have been a better idea to instead invest the cost of the Chemical Guys product on better components. I completely understand the desire to restore bike parts, and also hate to toss something that is functional; however I remember the short life of the Simplex gear on a Peugeot I had in the 70s. That Delrin stuff was light and worked very smoothly.

Anyway, my post was me thinking aloud (in text.) Faced with a somewhat fragile old mech that was still functional, I would have done the same as you.