Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Wanted: A simple and safe chamois cream

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-20, 07:41 PM
TrekCyclist

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I've been looking to purchase a chamois cream for the first time and am disappointed to find that nearly all commercial brands typically include around twenty or so ingredients, including preservatives and other chemicals with unpronounceable names. I can't imagine anyone letting that stuff get absorbed by their skin, particularly around their private parts, just because the FDA says that it's safe to use. It's as if the manufacturers load up these products with unnecessary ingredients simply to justify their high prices - often $20 or more for 8 oz.

Does anyone know of a truly simple, all-natural commercial product with no more than a handful of ingredients, or otherwise a convenient home-made alternative?

Thanks.
Old 06-22-20, 07:53 PM
ljsense

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked 152 Times in 92 Posts
Look at diaper creams. Since they're used on babies, the pressure to be safe is more intense, and you can find some with simple ingredients. Also much less expensive. They work as well or better in my experience.

Here's one example for $7 a tube. The ingredients are: Active Ingredient - Purpose. Zinc Oxide, 16% - Skin Protectant. Inactive Ingredients: Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Juice, Beeswax, Citric Acid, Copernicia Cerifera (Carnauba Wax), Hydrogenated Castor Oil, Myroxylon Pereirae (Balsam Peru Oil), Ricinus Communis (Castor) Seed Oil.
Likes For ljsense:
Old 06-22-20, 07:54 PM
ddeand 

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked 102 Times in 46 Posts
I made up a double batch of this earlier this year. It works quite well and saves some $$. My wife had a few of the ingredients already.

Coach Levi’s Mint Deluxe Chamois Cream Recipe

Now, let’s get fancy!
  • 4oz shea butter
  • 2oz coconut oil
  • 2oz lanolin
  • 1/8oz tea tree oil
  • 1/16oz menthol
  • 1/16oz peppermint oil
1. Melt the shea butter and coconut oil together in a pot on the stove (or in double boiler if you have one).

2. Remove from heat and let cool to room temperature.

3. Stir in lanolin.

4. Place in freezer for 20 minutes (or until partially solidified).

5. Add essential oils and mix for 10 minutes.

6. Place in freezer 10 more minutes.

7. Whip until a butter-like consistency is achieved.

8. Once ready, place in a small jar for storage.

9. Test it out.

*Note that cooking times and exact preparation will vary depending on your cookware and the specific brands of ingredients you’re using
Old 06-22-20, 08:52 PM
gif4445

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Specialized Diverge, Volagi Liscio, LHT, Trek 1.2

Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 33 Posts
Originally Posted by TrekCyclist
I've been looking to purchase a chamois cream for the first time and am disappointed to find that nearly all commercial brands typically include around twenty or so ingredients, including preservatives and other chemicals with unpronounceable names. I can't imagine anyone letting that stuff get absorbed by their skin, particularly around their private parts, just because the FDA says that it's safe to use. It's as if the manufacturers load up these products with unnecessary ingredients simply to justify their high prices - often $20 or more for 8 oz.

Does anyone know of a truly simple, all-natural commercial product with no more than a handful of ingredients, or otherwise a convenient home-made alternative?

Thanks.
Bag balm is my go to product.
Likes For gif4445:
Old 06-22-20, 08:56 PM
Kat12

Quoted: 420 Post(s)
Liked 379 Times in 279 Posts
There are some places I would not put tea tree or peppermint oil, and definitely not menthol, and the places I would put chamois cream are definitely those same places. OW.
Likes For Kat12:
Old 06-22-20, 09:06 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4792 Post(s)
Liked 3,918 Times in 2,548 Posts
Bag Balm is not all natural but it has a ~120 year history of use, first on cow tits, then when the 2nd generation mechanical milkers obviated the need, farmers' wives quickly figured out a lot of uses on humans for which it worked really well. Probably didn't take too long for the early cyclists to catch on.

I was turned on to it by a tandem stoker 30 years ago, The stuff works. Cheap, Available in any old-school drug store. It is also the best if you have saddle sores or any other ongoing injury.issue down there and you have to ride. I always bring it on tours. I may not use it. I may even use the creme given out as freebies, but that Bag Balm is always in my gear in case things get ugly.

Ben
Likes For 79pmooney:
Old 06-23-20, 12:56 AM
Bill in VA

Bikes: Current: 2016 Bianchi Volpe; 1973 Peugeot UO-8. Past: 1974 Fuji S-10-S with custom black Imron paint by Stinsman Racing of PA.

Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked 204 Times in 142 Posts

Thanks.
Originally Posted by 79pmooney
Bag Balm is not all natural but it has a ~120 year history of use, first on cow tits, then when the 2nd generation mechanical milkers obviated the need, farmers' wives quickly figured out a lot of uses on humans for which it worked really well. Probably didn't take too long for the early cyclists to catch on.

I was turned on to it by a tandem stoker 30 years ago, The stuff works. Cheap, Available in any old-school drug store. It is also the best if you have saddle sores or any other ongoing injury.issue down there and you have to ride. I always bring it on tours. I may not use it. I may even use the creme given out as freebies, but that Bag Balm is always in my gear in case things get ugly.

Ben
When I wore wood cycling shorts with a real leather chamois, we used vaseline carefully rubbed into the chamois. It made the chamois soft and stopped and chafing or saddle sores. It took a thorough shower to get the grease off after a ride, but was very effective. After you washed the shorts (in Woolite) the chamois would be stiff and need a reapplication before the next ride.

WIth newer synthetic chamois I would be inclined to use Bag Balm. It is great stuff. My wife is a dairy farmers daughter and she turned me on to it years ago for surf fishing and cold damp activities. It really helped the chapped cold hands. I never tried it for a chamois cream, but given its past performance, I should work very well.
Old 06-23-20, 03:21 AM
jgwilliams

Bikes: Dolan Tuono 105 Di2, custom built 653 and 531 bikes with frames by Barry Witcomb, Sonder Dial XT mountain bike and a Brompton folding bike.

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 298 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 100 Posts
Interesting question. The problem is just because something has a fancy name it doesn't mean it isn't a completely natural product. One classic example is that the first ingredient on my pot of Assos chamois cream is Aqua, which is just a fancy name for water. If they can do that for water then goodness knows what all the other ingredients are. For the record, I've been using Assos chamois cream for years and found it to be very good and reasonably economical.
Likes For jgwilliams:
Old 06-23-20, 04:02 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18403 Post(s)
Liked 15,495 Times in 7,317 Posts
Originally Posted by jgwilliams
Assos chamois cream is Aqua, which is just a fancy name for water. If they can do that for water then goodness knows what all the other ingredients arel.
Assos is not an American company. In Europe, "aqua" is a common term for water in beauty products and the like. Nothing fancy about it, and no deception is afoot. In fact, I’m more confident in transparency in labeling when it comes to European products. For example, you might be surprised at what you can call “natural flavoring” in the U.S.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bon...al-flavors/amp

Last edited by indyfabz; 06-23-20 at 05:54 AM.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 06-23-20, 04:09 AM
nomadmax 

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked 1,824 Times in 878 Posts
This right here. Works better than anything for me.

Likes For nomadmax:
Old 06-23-20, 05:17 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3657 Post(s)
Liked 5,393 Times in 2,738 Posts
I can't imagine anyone letting that stuff get absorbed by their skin, particularly around their private parts, just because the FDA says that it's safe to use.
I don't have a beef with FDA and if something will preserve my private parts I'm OK with that. I use this, cheap and readily available.
Old 06-23-20, 05:39 AM
leob1

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 69 Posts
Originally Posted by Bill in VA
When I wore wood cycling shorts with a real leather chamois, ....
Now that is the sign of the hardman of the peloton.
Likes For leob1:
Old 06-23-20, 06:42 AM
downhillmaster

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 776 Times in 402 Posts
Unless you have an underlying medical condition why can’t you just ride your bike without buttering up your arse?
Wouldn’t that be the simplest and most natural?
Old 06-23-20, 06:58 AM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1086 Post(s)
Liked 858 Times in 487 Posts
Originally Posted by downhillmaster
Unless you have an underlying medical condition why can’t you just ride your bike without buttering up your arse?
Wouldn’t that be the simplest and most natural?
Skin, skinniness, age.

I did almost all my racing in my teens and twenties with nothing, cause I had the butt of a young man.

At 40, I can still mix it up a bit but I've got to be a lot more careful about my junk.

If all natural is the only option, I'd do what the second poster suggests without the foo foo. Shea butter, beeswax, coconut oil. Melt together and apply liberally. It'd probably work to dip your chain into also.
Likes For rosefarts:
Old 06-23-20, 07:04 AM
CAT7RDR

Bikes: 1999 Schwinn Peloton Ultegra 10, Kestrel RT-1000 Ultegra, Trek Marlin 6 Deore 29'er

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 822 Post(s)
Liked 1,955 Times in 941 Posts
Queen Helene Cocoa Butter Creme works for me (57 y/o) and is $4.47 for 15oz on Amazon.
https://www.amazon.com/Queen-Helene-...s%2C210&sr=8-5
Likes For CAT7RDR:
Old 06-23-20, 07:17 AM
YoungSalt

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 11 Posts

Thanks.
Remember, everything is chemicals. You are comprised of chemicals. An apple you pick off of a tree is chemicals. Here's the ingredients list of a banana:

Please don't let words you don't understand scare you, and don't get too wrapped up in the phrase "all natural." It many parts of the world (including the USA) the words "natural" or "all natural" are not regulated, so they're meaningless.
Old 06-23-20, 10:27 AM
Mulberry20

Quoted: 440 Post(s)
Liked 199 Times in 136 Posts
any good facial cream works just fine, the rest is marketing
Old 06-23-20, 10:43 AM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2134 Post(s)
Liked 1,643 Times in 825 Posts
Old 06-23-20, 11:16 AM
Moe Zhoost
Half way there

Bikes: Many, and the list changes frequently

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 986 Post(s)
Liked 880 Times in 527 Posts
I've used Bag Balm for years. Great stuff.
Old 06-23-20, 12:59 PM
Danhedonia

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 237 Post(s)
Liked 177 Times in 95 Posts
For some (me; others) lanolin (key ingredient in Bag Balm) goes outside of a wish to avoid products that may involve animals in a way we don't prefer.

I like the idea of DIY.
Old 06-23-20, 04:52 PM
Reynolds 
Passista

Bikes: 1998 Pinarello Asolo, 1992 KHS Montaña pro, 1980 Raleigh DL-1, IGH Hybrid, IGH Utility

Quoted: 866 Post(s)
Liked 720 Times in 395 Posts
+1 on bag balm.
Old 06-23-20, 04:57 PM
bbbean 

Bikes: Giant Propel, Cannondale SuperX, Univega Alpina Ultima

Quoted: 672 Post(s)
Liked 417 Times in 249 Posts
... chemicals with unpronounceable names.
You know there's no correlation between your ability to pronounce a chemical's name and it's safety, right? FWIW, "natural" products are full of unpronounceable chemicals also. The world is made of chemicals.

Formerly fastest rider in the grupetto, currently slowest guy in the peloton

Likes For bbbean:
Old 06-23-20, 08:37 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4335 Post(s)
Liked 3,958 Times in 2,646 Posts
Originally Posted by Paul Barnard
"When you start to sizzle you move your ass" - Lewis Black

My favored Chamios stuff is Bike Glide from Body Glide. It is vegan (so no animal ingredients or testing) and nothing crazy but it works. If I don't use it I chafe if I use it I don't.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 06-23-20, 08:41 PM
Bill in VA

Bikes: Current: 2016 Bianchi Volpe; 1973 Peugeot UO-8. Past: 1974 Fuji S-10-S with custom black Imron paint by Stinsman Racing of PA.

Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked 204 Times in 142 Posts
Originally Posted by leob1
Now that is the sign of the hardman of the peloton.
Nope. Just the sign of an older man at a keyboard at 3:30am who missed a glaring typo...
Old 06-23-20, 09:36 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6200 Post(s)
Liked 4,204 Times in 2,358 Posts
Originally Posted by YoungSalt
Remember, everything is chemicals. You are comprised of chemicals. An apple you pick off of a tree is chemicals. Here's the ingredients list of a banana:

Please don't let words you don't understand scare you, and don't get too wrapped up in the phrase "all natural." It many parts of the world (including the USA) the words "natural" or "all natural" are not regulated, so they're meaningless.
Exactly! Chamois Butt’r contains the following

AQUA/WATER/EAU, PARAFFINUM LIQUIDUM/MINERAL OIL/HUILE MINÉRALE, GLYCERYL STEARATE, CETEARYL ALCOHOL, STEARIC ACID, GLYCERIN, LANOLIN, PEG-100 STEARATE, DIAZOLIDINYL UREA, IODOPROPYNYL BUTYLCARBAMATE, CETYL HYDROXYETHYL-CELLULOSE, POTASSIUMSORBATE, DISODIUM EDTA, ALOE BARBADENSIS (ALOE VERA) LEAF JUICE, TOCOPHERYL ACETATE, ZEA MAYS (CORN) OIL, RETINYL PALMITATE, CHOLECALCIFEROL.
Just because the name of a chemical is “unpronounceable” doesn’t mean that it is bad or toxic. IODOPROPYNYL BUTYLCARBAMATE (IUPAC name: 3-Iodoprop-2-yn-1-yl butylcarbamate) is almost incomprehensible even to a chemist. But it is added to the mixture because it is a biocide. That’s a good thing.

8-Hydroxyquinoline is the active ingredient in Bag Balm is also a biocide. It’s released by invasive knapweed so it is a “natural product”. It’s hard on other plants and also on some animals but it is “natural”

Petroleum jelly is kind of a natural product that just happens to take several million years to produce. It comes from petroleum which is “natural” but it has lots of toxins in it.

Another scary name is
(2R,3R,4S,5S,6R)-2-[(2S,3S,4S,5R)-3,4-dihydroxy-2,5-bis(hydroxymethyl)oxolan-2-yl]oxy-6-(hydroxymethyl)oxane-3,4,5-triol. That’s sucrose. As in “sugar”.

Finally, α-amanitin is a completely natural chemical. It is one of several similar compounds that can be found in Amanita phalloides, a rather common...and commonly confused...mushroom which is more commonly known as the death cap mushroom. Completely natural and completely deadly. The unpronounceable chemical name is 2-[34-butan-2-yl-13-(3,4-dihydroxybutan-2-yl)-8,22-dihydroxy-2,5,11,14,27,30,33,36,39-nonaoxo-27λ4-thia-3,6,12,15,25,29,32,35,38-nonazapentacyclo[14.12.11.06,10.018,26.019,24]nonatriaconta-18(26),19(24),20,22-tetraen-4-yl]acetamide
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Last edited by cyccommute; 06-23-20 at 09:45 PM.
Likes For cyccommute:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.