Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

No Helmet, No Ride

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

No Helmet, No Ride

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-20, 09:25 PM
Tyagi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Totally agree with you because one of my friend died because of this
Old 07-11-20, 09:49 PM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
Originally Posted by illdoittomorrow
The problem with helmet standards is that they are so low and that testing of helmets is done with a decapitated head form dropped onto an object. Impacts to the side of the helmet are not considered. Nor is the fact that in a fall the bicycle and the human body act as a fulcrum thereby greatly increasing the force the helmet is subjected to when it hits a solid surface like a road. that's why so many helmets crack upon impact. Btw, a cracked helmet means that the impact EXCEEDED the helmet's design perimeters. The helmet absorbs some of the force but failed. It should not crack let alone break.

Somewhere I have a link to helmet standards and it's a real eye opener to see just how low they are. I'll see if I can find it again.

I didn't find that link but here's an interesting read.

https://www.cyclehelmets.org/1139.html

I wear a helmet most of the time but not on those hot/humid 100+F days.

Cheers
Old 07-11-20, 10:02 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,927 Times in 2,553 Posts
Originally Posted by Miele Man
The problem with helmet standards is that they are so low and that testing of helmets is done with a decapitated head form dropped onto an object. Impacts to the side of the helmet are not considered. Nor is the fact that in a fall the bicycle and the human body act as a fulcrum thereby greatly increasing the force the helmet is subjected to when it hits a solid surface like a road. that's why so many helmets crack upon impact. Btw, a cracked helmet means that the impact EXCEEDED the helmet's design perimeters. The helmet absorbs some of the force but failed. It should not crack let alone break.

Somewhere I have a link to helmet standards and it's a real eye opener to see just how low they are. I'll see if I can find it again.

I didn't find that link but here's an interesting read.

https://www.cyclehelmets.org/1139.html

I wear a helmet most of the time but not on those hot/humid 100+F days.

Cheers
My Bell Biker did not crack and I am quite sure I would have fared better with the new helmets that would have been destroyed. (My CAT scan showed a blood clot on my hypothalamus and bruising on my spinal column at the back of my head (which caused seizure in my right side and a loss of motor skills. I am sure the bruising was from brain rebound that would have been lesser a lot by both the shell breaking and more crushing of foam. It was 1977 and I didn't get to be choosy.)
Old 07-12-20, 09:06 AM
blue192

Bikes: Norco Scene 1, Khs Westwood, Jamis Allegro 3x

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 47 Posts
Where I live kids are legally required a helmet but adults are exempt. Hence I also wear one.
Likes For blue192:
Old 07-12-20, 09:28 AM
Pop N Wood

Bikes: 1982 Bianchi Sport SX, Rayleigh Tamland 1, Rans V-Rex recumbent, Fuji MTB, 80's Cannondale MTB with BBSHD ebike motor

Quoted: 668 Post(s)
Liked 529 Times in 355 Posts
Originally Posted by illdoittomorrow
Thank you for that. Learned a few things.
Old 07-14-20, 12:44 PM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
I have always wondered but never asked, what do all the rabid anti helmet types do when they go on a club ride that has rules that helmets are needed?
Old 07-14-20, 12:53 PM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Originally Posted by rydabent
I have always wondered but never asked, what do all the rabid anti helmet types do when they go on a club ride that has rules that helmets are needed?
They either wear a helmet or forgo the ride.

Cheers
Old 07-14-20, 03:43 PM
Pop N Wood

Bikes: 1982 Bianchi Sport SX, Rayleigh Tamland 1, Rans V-Rex recumbent, Fuji MTB, 80's Cannondale MTB with BBSHD ebike motor

Quoted: 668 Post(s)
Liked 529 Times in 355 Posts
They either wear a helmet or forgo the ride.

Cheers
Yep, forgo the ride. That include charity rides. Their choice.

Had the same problem when my son was in Scouts. Never really thought about helmets before they told me I couldn't join in the ride. Made me wonder what am I not understanding, so decided to educate myself.

That was a good thing. Studying the statistics helped me better understand the threats facing bicyclists. Think I'm a safer rider now because of it.

Also came to the conclusion that the majority of the "always wear a helmet" crowd have never given it more thought than that. I honestly think the best lesson we can give our kids is to always ask questions and decide for yourself. But some people don't take kindly to such free thinking.

But more interesting to me than helmet safety stats is the way non-riders react to the whole bike helmet issue. I've had non-riders whom I have never met start lecturing me about helmets. Don't understand why such an issue makes people forget basic social graces.
Likes For Pop N Wood:
Old 07-14-20, 04:55 PM
Miele Man

Originally Posted by Pop N Wood
Yep, forgo the ride. That include charity rides. Their choice.

Had the same problem when my son was in Scouts. Never really thought about helmets before they told me I couldn't join in the ride. Made me wonder what am I not understanding, so decided to educate myself.

That was a good thing. Studying the statistics helped me better understand the threats facing bicyclists. Think I'm a safer rider now because of it.

Also came to the conclusion that the majority of the "always wear a helmet" crowd have never given it more thought than that. I honestly think the best lesson we can give our kids is to always ask questions and decide for yourself. But some people don't take kindly to such free thinking.

But more interesting to me than helmet safety stats is the way non-riders react to the whole bike helmet issue. I've had non-riders whom I have never met start lecturing me about helmets. Don't understand why such an issue makes people forget basic social graces.
A few years ago I was on an organized ride where the waiver I signed had a line where I'd promised to wear a helmet. During that ride it got really hot and extremely humid. Sweat was running into my eyes and burning badly. So I took off my helmet, fed an Arno strap through it and slung it over my shoulder. At the next rest stop I was told I had to wear my helmet. I pulled out my copy of the waiver and told them that the waiver ONLY stated that I had to wear a helmet NOT where I had to wear it. VBEG LOL. I rode the rest of that ride with the helmet slung over my shoulder and resting on my back. It sure was a lot cooler and safer than warring it on my head and not being able to see due to sweat burning my eyes.

If non-riders get after me for not wearing a helmet I ask them if they drive a vehicle. If they say yes I then ask them if they wear a helmet when driving. If they say no, I then inform them that statistically drivers suffer FAR MORE head injuries than do bicyclists.

I usually wear a helmet but not if due to heat and humidity it compromises my safety through sweating or heat retention.

Cheers
Old 07-15-20, 01:35 AM
christianogden2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
When i had a bike in thailand. If cops see us without helments they stoped us and gave us a check
Old 07-15-20, 09:07 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
When it comes to helmets, the fact remains that once I put my helmet on, I totally forget that I have it on till the end of the ride when I take it off. So really what is so hard or the offence of wearing a helmet? Even in the event of a fall over if it prevents even a scratch it was worth it.
Old 07-15-20, 09:36 AM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2494 Post(s)
Liked 738 Times in 522 Posts
Originally Posted by christianogden2
When i had a bike in thailand. If cops see us without helments they stoped us and gave us a check
I think you meant "gave us a 'ticket'"(a bad thing). In English, getting a 'check' is usually a good thing. If you really meant 'check', I am on the next plane to Thailand. BTW how much are these 'check's usually made out for?
Old 07-15-20, 09:41 AM
Leisesturm

American bike helmet standards are the highest in the developed world. American helmet adoption is the highest in the developed world. American cyclist health and longevity statistics are the worst in the developed world.
Likes For Leisesturm:
Old 07-15-20, 11:28 AM
holytrousers
hoppipola

Bikes: fausto coppi

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 512 Post(s)
Liked 227 Times in 163 Posts
Originally Posted by Leisesturm
American bike helmet standards are the highest in the developed world. American helmet adoption is the highest in the developed world. American cyclist health and longevity statistics are the worst in the developed world.
American bike helmet standards are the highest in the underdeveloped world. American helmet adoption is the highest in the underdeveloped world. American cyclist health and longevity statistics are the highest in the underdeveloped world.
Likes For holytrousers:
Old 07-15-20, 12:09 PM
Miele Man

When it comes to helmets, the fact remains that once I put my helmet on, I totally forget that I have it on till the end of the ride when I take it off. So really what is so hard or the offence of wearing a helmet? Even in the event of a fall over if it prevents even a scratch it was worth it.
When it's hot AND humid I find it difficult to get a helmet that doesn't cause excessive sweating and over heating. At that point the helmet has become a liability.

I do like a helmet for it's even minimal impact protection but don't wear one on really hot and humid days.

I'd really like to see helmets tested as if they were actually on a head attached to a human body rather than a decapitated headform dropped onto something. I wonder if the reason for not doing that is because so few current helmets would be able to pass such a test?

Cheers
Old 07-15-20, 02:37 PM
Notso_fastLane

Bikes: 2011 Bent TW Elegance 2014 Carbon Strada Velomobile

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 626 Post(s)
Liked 701 Times in 418 Posts
When it's hot AND humid I find it difficult to get a helmet that doesn't cause excessive sweating and over heating. At that point the helmet has become a liability.

I do like a helmet for it's even minimal impact protection but don't wear one on really hot and humid days.

I'd really like to see helmets tested as if they were actually on a head attached to a human body rather than a decapitated headform dropped onto something. I wonder if the reason for not doing that is because so few current helmets would be able to pass such a test?

Cheers
No. It has to do with several things, the first and foremost being repeatability of testing. The next most important (in terms of how/why the testing is the way it is) is historical. Helmet testing was originally for motorcycle safety helmets. A lot of the processes were carried over to bicycle helmets, although the requirements were lower. They have diverged a little over time, but there's a lot of similarity.

I've seen enough motorcycle accidents (I work at a racetrack on occasion) to know that there'd be a lot more dead people if they didn't have helmets and other safety gear. I've no reason not to wear a helmet, and will always wear one, even when in my velomobile.

However, I am against making them mandatory. Everyone should have the freedom to ride without a helmet (motorized bikes or otherwise, IMO).
Old 07-15-20, 02:43 PM
Miele Man

Originally Posted by Notso_fastLane
No. It has to do with several things, the first and foremost being repeatability of testing. The next most important (in terms of how/why the testing is the way it is) is historical. Helmet testing was originally for motorcycle safety helmets. A lot of the processes were carried over to bicycle helmets, although the requirements were lower. They have diverged a little over time, but there's a lot of similarity.

I've seen enough motorcycle accidents (I work at a racetrack on occasion) to know that there'd be a lot more dead people if they didn't have helmets and other safety gear. I've no reason not to wear a helmet, and will always wear one, even when in my velomobile.

However, I am against making them mandatory. Everyone should have the freedom to ride without a helmet (motorized bikes or otherwise, IMO).
The problem is that tests with decapitated headforms do NOT mimic real world crashes.

Helmets help in a lot of cases but I think they could be far better designed and tested. As an example, most bicycle helmets are NOT tested for impacts to the side of the helmet.

Cheers
Old 07-15-20, 02:47 PM
Notso_fastLane

Bikes: 2011 Bent TW Elegance 2014 Carbon Strada Velomobile

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 626 Post(s)
Liked 701 Times in 418 Posts
The problem is that tests with decapitated headforms do NOT mimic real world crashes.

Helmets help in a lot of cases but I think they could be far better designed and tested. As an example, most bicycle helmets are NOT tested for impacts to the side of the helmet.

Cheers
I don't disagree, but there's only so much that can be done. I think if they made bicycle helmets wrap low enough (over the ears, essentially) to be more effective against side impacts, even fewer people would wear them. I think modern bicycle helmets are a (often terrible) compromise between safety, and what people will realistically wear. Sadly, that last factor can't really be tested for.
Old 07-15-20, 03:27 PM
Miele Man

I don't disagree, but there's only so much that can be done. I think if they made bicycle helmets wrap low enough (over the ears, essentially) to be more effective against side impacts, even fewer people would wear them. I think modern bicycle helmets are a (often terrible) compromise between safety, and what people will realistically wear. Sadly, that last factor can't really be tested for.
What I meant is that the side of most existing helmets are not tested for impacts. I had a helmet that fell off my handlebar when the bike was parked. These was big chunk broken off the side of that helmet when the helmet struck the sidewalk. Now I can't help but wonder, if a simple fall from a handlebar of a stopped bicycle can cause a large chunk to break off the side of a helmet then just how marginal are the standards that helmet has to meet in order to pass? Don't forget that these tests are done by the helmet makers.

I think in a lot of cases a helmet is better than no helmet but I also believe that the amount of protection offered by a helmet is a LOT less than what most people think it is.

Cheers
Old 07-15-20, 03:58 PM
Leisesturm

You want it all ways don't you. Amazingly light, breathable and comfortable, supremely protective from impacts from all angles ... a car can do all that and more besides. That's what most people ride with when they need good looks, comfort, all angle protection. There is this though, 818 cyclists died in collisions last year, most of them wearing helmets. 40,000 non-cyclists died last year in collisions, all of them wearing cars.
Likes For Leisesturm:
Old 07-16-20, 08:10 PM
dr_max

Bikes: BMC SLC01 Promachine with full DA grupo on Ksyrium ES/ BMC Roadmachine 01 One disc Ultegra with DT Swiss

Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked 59 Times in 37 Posts
When I started cycling 16 years ago,
I crashed once a year
then once every 2 years
then once every 4 years
Now I have not crashed for 8 years
*knocking on wood*
Next crash, I will be safe to ride without a helmet for 16 years
Old 07-23-20, 02:22 PM
REDMASTA

Bikes: Bare Rum Sword Knuckle Runner

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 64 Posts
i wear a helmet while putting on a helmet.
Old 07-24-20, 10:50 PM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 760 Posts
Originally Posted by MtSprinter
Nothing. I just want to share this line to all bikers out there. Safety first!

No helmet, no ride!

Ps.
Bike tools are essential too to avoid any hassle.
Come on man, you must have a reason for this radical statement.
Old 07-24-20, 11:00 PM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 760 Posts
So, "rabid anti helmet types". Does that mean that everyone who believes that a person can make their own decision about the actual, real live value of a helmet for their particular bicycle riding is "rabid anti helmet"? Or does it mean that they are just in favor of rational personal choice and really don't care what others do?

Rabid and anti are two words that I wouldn't use. Sounds like a statement that a rabid anti rational personal decision would make. But I wouldn't assume that of you.
Old 07-24-20, 11:01 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,927 Times in 2,553 Posts
Originally Posted by MtSprinter
Nothing. I just want to share this line to all bikers out there. Safety first!

No helmet, no ride!

Ps.
Bike tools are essential too to avoid any hassle.
I do have one issue with this statement. A serious issue. "Bike tools are essential too to avoid any hassle" I've run intro more than one or two hassles in my lifetime bike tools wouldn't fix. I wish your statement was true.

But re: helmets - I keep at least one retired helmet - always. I might have to ride (and my current helmet is where?)

Ben

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.