Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

9 speed triple to 11 speed conversion

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-20, 06:30 PM
xrazer

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac Pro

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

I have a Specialized 2007 Tarmac Pro with 9 speed triple. I went to my local shop and asked about converting to Shimano Ultegra 6800 11 speed.

I was quoted parts about 900 plus labor. Since I think the rear wheel can't accept a 11 speed cassette I specifically asked about that and he said no problem. This guy was not the mechanic so I remain skeptical. The wheels are newer than the bike, Cane Creek Volos. These wheels have been bullet proof for me by the way.

What's the truth, I am afraid a new wheel set will be needed too? That will up the cost a lot but it will still be cheaper than a new bike. I like the frame.
Old 09-17-20, 06:54 PM
Kimmo 
bike whisperer

Bikes: https://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=152015&p=1404231

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1523 Post(s)
Liked 716 Times in 508 Posts
The only Shimano 11s cassette that will fit is 11-34. There are probably other options with aftermarket brands. 11s cassettes generally require a longer cassette body, but some overhang the end of the splines.

I did a similar thing with 10s, machining a billet 10s cassette to fit on a 7s cassette body retrofitted to a 10s wheel to reduce dish.

I'd have said keep the triple groupset, if only replacing that middle chainring wasn't a problem. If you could find an aftermarket ring designed as a proper replacement, I'd buy a couple of those. I much prefer the ability to be both close and wide with a triple; pretty sure 3x9 can generally provide nicer ratios than 2x11. Replacement middle rings are the only Achilles heel, aside from the aesthetics of the external cables...
Likes For Kimmo:
Old 09-17-20, 08:02 PM
xrazer

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Kimmo
The only Shimano 11s cassette that will fit is 11-34. There are probably other options with aftermarket brands. 11s cassettes generally require a longer cassette body, but some overhang the end of the splines.

I did a similar thing with 10s, machining a billet 10s cassette to fit on a 7s cassette body retrofitted to a 10s wheel to reduce dish.

I'd have said keep the triple groupset, if only replacing that middle chainring wasn't a problem. If you could find an aftermarket ring designed as a proper replacement, I'd buy a couple of those. I much prefer the ability to be both close and wide with a triple; pretty sure 3x9 can generally provide nicer ratios than 2x11. Replacement middle rings are the only Achilles heel, aside from the aesthetics of the external cables...
I forgot to say that perhaps the real reason I would like to do this is that the shifter rubber hoods are degrading and becoming very sticky. They are not made anymore. I have found some old shifters on ebay but felt I didn't want to throw good money on equipment not supported anymore. Of course it would be nice to have a new transmission that is probably an improvement.
Likes For xrazer:
Old 09-17-20, 08:54 PM
easyupbug 

Bikes: too many sparkly Italians, some sweet Americans and a couple interesting Japanese

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 567 Post(s)
Liked 563 Times in 405 Posts
A shift to 10 brake/shifters which Shimano says is an issue but can work pretty well, especially if your riding the lovely Ocean Beech and Mission Bay Bike Route, much less $ than the switch to 11, especially if you factor in new wheels and you can buy spare hoods for the future. I have a couple 11s and frankly for my riding no advantage.
Old 09-17-20, 11:45 PM
xrazer

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by easyupbug
A shift to 10 brake/shifters which Shimano says is an issue but can work pretty well, especially if your riding the lovely Ocean Beech and Mission Bay Bike Route, much less $ than the switch to 11, especially if you factor in new wheels and you can buy spare hoods for the future. I have a couple 11s and frankly for my riding no advantage.
Sure the beach rides are beautiful. But I am in east county so plenty of hills. I know 10 would serve me right, I was just thinking getting the newest bling while at it. To have the rubber hoods not being made anymore after "only" 13 years is disappointing.
Old 09-18-20, 01:51 AM
HTupolev

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1974 Post(s)
Liked 1,298 Times in 630 Posts
Originally Posted by xrazer
I forgot to say that perhaps the real reason I would like to do this is that the shifter rubber hoods are degrading and becoming very sticky. They are not made anymore. I have found some old shifters on ebay but felt I didn't want to throw good money on equipment not supported anymore.
It's theoretically sort of a "downgrade", but Sora R3030 or Microshift SB-R493 3x9 shifter sets should be compatible with your drivetrain.
Old 09-18-20, 05:36 AM
easyupbug 

Bikes: too many sparkly Italians, some sweet Americans and a couple interesting Japanese

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 567 Post(s)
Liked 563 Times in 405 Posts
Originally Posted by xrazer
To have the rubber hoods not being made anymore after "only" 13 years is disappointing.
I could not agree more, I have two bikes with DA 7400 STIand I am reminded of this every ride. It is so annoying I should probably pay the $100 price I see these hoods but I would again be pissed every ride. Probably had a lot to do with the last three groupsets I bought for my and the families bikes are Campagnolo and my very first Sram.
Old 09-18-20, 09:35 AM
bluehills3149

Bikes: depends what week it is..

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked 59 Times in 47 Posts
I found these hoods $12 that are for Shimano 6800's and a search also shows the company Hudz make aftermarket ones as well (in lots of colors).

https://www.performancebike.com/shim...gaAvZeEALw_wcB
Old 09-18-20, 01:14 PM
icemilkcoffee 

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1557 Post(s)
Liked 1,732 Times in 972 Posts
Originally Posted by bluehills3149
I found these hoods $12 that are for Shimano 6800's and a search also shows the company Hudz make aftermarket ones as well (in lots of colors).

https://www.performancebike.com/shim...gaAvZeEALw_wcB
6800 = 11 speed groupset.
You will not be able to find replacement hoods for an old 9 speed brifter, not from Shimano, not from aftermarket.
Old 09-18-20, 03:51 PM
xrazer

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by icemilkcoffee
6800 = 11 speed groupset.
You will not be able to find replacement hoods for an old 9 speed brifter, not from Shimano, not from aftermarket.
True and fact. I have looked everywhere.
Old 09-18-20, 06:47 PM
deacon mark

Bikes: Habanero Titanium Team Nuevo

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 399 Post(s)
Liked 185 Times in 121 Posts
For me this easy. Forget 6800 just buy 105 7000 11 sp groupset. It will do the same thing cheaper and be miles better than what you have. Buy the whole group set crank and all. Buy one new rear wheel that is 11’sp if you want to save money.

Do the work yourself not complicated you are done for less than $900 for sure. Otherwise find a shop or someone to do it for you. Still cheaper. You have a good bike and frame and when do a gem.
Likes For deacon mark:
Old 09-18-20, 08:32 PM
ShannonM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 405 Post(s)
Liked 430 Times in 286 Posts
MicroSHIFT makes 3x9 Shimano-compatible levers. The SB-R493 seems to be generic Shimano 9 speed, the SB-R493A is marked as specific to Ultegra 4403. (I'd guess that the difference is in the front shifter, but I'm not sure.) Never used them, but then I've never liked STI. They show replacement hoods, I'd buy a pair or two so you don't end up here again.

What about 9 speed bar-ends and a new pair of brake levers?

Swapping out an entire drivetrain and spending a thousand bucks just because you need new brake lever hoods seems a bit extreme...

--Shannon
Old 09-19-20, 08:58 AM
Danhedonia

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 237 Post(s)
Liked 177 Times in 95 Posts
Hope this is not seen as a threadjack - I have a similar project underway. I have a 2 x 9 Giant TCR-1 that has worn brifters and 15K+ miles on the drivetrain. I want to switch to 2x11.

After careful parts-stalking, I've acquired 8000 Ultegra brifters, FD and RD. I have a 105 11-28t cassette. Shouldn't this be fine? The wheelset are pretty typical, Mavic Elite rims and I cannot remember who made the hubs.

For a variety of reasons I'm committed to the change - will I need a new wheelset? I'd simply assumed (yes, I'm ignorant) that the 11 speed cassette would fit ... perhaps I should try it this weekend? I wouldn't object to getting new wheels if necessary.
Old 09-19-20, 09:23 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6177 Post(s)
Liked 4,794 Times in 3,306 Posts
You really need to ask the guy at the shop about why he said your current wheel was no problem. We can interpret that all sorts of ways. And I can think of a few were it would be no problem. But what I imagine might not be what the guy you are potentially paying money to is planning on doing.

You should have ask him then to be more specific about what no problem meant. Not us.
Old 09-19-20, 11:03 AM
xrazer

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ShannonM
Swapping out an entire drivetrain and spending a thousand bucks just because you need new brake lever hoods seems a bit extreme...

--Shannon
Absolutely! The first time I called the bike shop the mechanic said kinda yeah just get a new bike and I was frankly a bit shocked. This is however normally a very good shop.
Old 09-19-20, 11:07 AM
xrazer

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
You really need to ask the guy at the shop about why he said your current wheel was no problem. We can interpret that all sorts of ways. And I can think of a few were it would be no problem. But what I imagine might not be what the guy you are potentially paying money to is planning on doing.

You should have ask him then to be more specific about what no problem meant. Not us.
Yep I will for sure. I just try to stay away from running into shops during the pandemic so I decided to post here to get some facts. Figured this should be a common issue for us who got triples in the past.
Old 09-21-20, 07:40 PM
Kimmo 
bike whisperer

Bikes: https://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=152015&p=1404231

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1523 Post(s)
Liked 716 Times in 508 Posts
Originally Posted by Danhedonia
Hope this is not seen as a threadjack - I have a similar project underway. I have a 2 x 9 Giant TCR-1 that has worn brifters and 15K+ miles on the drivetrain. I want to switch to 2x11.

After careful parts-stalking, I've acquired 8000 Ultegra brifters, FD and RD. I have a 105 11-28t cassette. Shouldn't this be fine? The wheelset are pretty typical, Mavic Elite rims and I cannot remember who made the hubs.

For a variety of reasons I'm committed to the change - will I need a new wheelset? I'd simply assumed (yes, I'm ignorant) that the 11 speed cassette would fit ... perhaps I should try it this weekend? I wouldn't object to getting new wheels if necessary.
​​​​​​10s Mavic hubs always required a spacer, so when 11s came out they were ready for it. Your old Mavic wheels are good for 11s, if they're a full Mavic wheelset. If just the rims are Mavic, you're outta luck
Old 09-21-20, 08:42 PM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1079 Post(s)
Liked 1,019 Times in 719 Posts
Originally Posted by easyupbug
Shimano only posts newer information, tiagra 4700 series will not work with older 9 or 10 speed shifters. But find a set of 10 speed 105, Ultegra or tiagra 4600 series shifters and you should be able to get away with a new chain and cassette and keep the old crank and der.

Originally Posted by ShannonM
MicroSHIFT makes 3x9 Shimano-compatible levers. The SB-R493 seems to be generic Shimano 9 speed, the SB-R493A is marked as specific to Ultegra 4403. (I'd guess that the difference is in the front shifter, but I'm not sure.) Never used them, but then I've never liked STI. They show replacement hoods, I'd buy a pair or two so you don't end up here again.

--Shannon
4403 was a Tiagra triple group Ultegra groups usually started with a 6, so 6400, 6500, 6600 etc. But I will strongly agree wiht the Microshift shifters which I consider superior to Sora, Tourney by far or even older 4400 series tiagra.

Originally Posted by Danhedonia

For both you and the OP, wheels are the sticking point for a jump to 11sp. Pull off your wheel and look at the back of the cassette, if there is a spacer there then you should be able to toss on an 11sp cassette, if there isn't then you can, as someone else mentioned, put a 34t or bigger cassette on there but you have to make sure you get the right medium cage der and 9 to 11 will require changing derailleurs and for decent front shifting a new crank. 9->10 cranks for ok, 10->11 cranks work ok, 9-> cranks work poorly.
Likes For Russ Roth: