Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Pushing out a dent in steel frame from the inside?

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 10-11-20, 10:59 AM
estebe

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

So after taking a frame out of storage I was really pleased to find this

Dent
I know it's estetic but I would like to try to fix it and I was thinking to machine a plug from aluminium, grease it, slide it in from the bb and try to hammer it in, maybe it will push the dent out( i can feel a little dimple with my finger in the inside of the tube). Do you think it's doable? Thank you
Likes For estebe:
Old 10-11-20, 11:12 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 6100 Post(s)
Liked 4,732 Times in 3,262 Posts
If you got the skill to do that without damaging anything else, go for it. Pushing it out might pop more paint and that will result in touch up that you will need to use filler to make it look decent and less noticeable than it is now.

I'd ignore it or just put filler in it and paint.

Last edited by Iride01; 10-11-20 at 11:16 AM.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 10-11-20, 11:18 AM
estebe

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
If you got the skill to do that without damaging anything else, go for it.

I'd ignore it or just put filler in it and paint.
Unfortunately i don't have access to a lathe but how hard could it be to fabricate a cyclinder to the inner diameter of the tube? Then drill it in the middle, tie a piece of steing to it and pull it out? It's really close to the bottom bracket so i think in theory it would work? Or?
Old 10-11-20, 11:37 AM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts
Never Fix A Running Piece. I'd leave it, or fill the dent with BondoŽ-type stuff, and touch it up. Good chance that trying to fix it will make things worse.
Likes For dsbrantjr:
Old 10-11-20, 11:46 AM
Bob the Mech

Bikes: 2016 Trek Emonda S6 frameset, custom build (road). 1995 Dawes Genesis Reynolds 531 Competition frameset, custom build (road). 1996 Orange C16R frameset, custom build (retro MTB). Coyote Dual hard-tail, custom build (MTB).

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 55 Posts
Um...any thing is possible...

So is the risk of:

1) Cracking the braze in the lug joint.
2) Having the a aluminium rod deform at the impact end and 'mushroom'.
3) having the dimple just gouge the aluminium plug having no effect on pushing the dimple out.
4) the extremely tight spaces and inner tude dimensions you are dealing with.
5) how will you get the aluminium plug back out again.
6) if you are this concerned about the dipmple) I'm sure you'll need to get a colour match touch up paint.
7) Hitting the frame with a hammer is you miss your target.

...I'd take a hard pass on the above.

Personal preferance:

1) Touch up paint and leave the dimple.
2) Car body panel filler, touch up paint to hide the dimple.

Hardest part of these latter two options is finding the colour match paint.
Likes For Bob the Mech:
Old 10-11-20, 11:55 AM
Welshboy
PBP Ancien (2007)

Bikes: Cannondale CAADX (for commuting), Cannondale CAAD12, Cannondale CAAD12 Team CNCPT, Giant Contend 2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 156 Times in 106 Posts
Ignore and cover with a vinyl decal.
Old 10-11-20, 11:59 AM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,269 Times in 1,439 Posts
A 4mm downtube ding isn't something I'd even notice, let alone try to fix. But rest assured that if you do, another rock is going to shoot up and give you another one just like it.
Old 10-11-20, 12:03 PM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,095 Times in 741 Posts
Similar dents in shotgun barrels are "ironed out" as you describe but the plugs used to do it are precision machined hardened steel and have to be hammered or hydraulically forced under the dent. They are not aluminum or pulled with a string. Also, the bore is accessible from both ends and your frame isn't.
Likes For HillRider:
Old 10-11-20, 12:24 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 6100 Post(s)
Liked 4,732 Times in 3,262 Posts
Originally Posted by estebe
Unfortunately i don't have access to a lathe but how hard could it be to fabricate a cyclinder to the inner diameter of the tube? Then drill it in the middle, tie a piece of steing to it and pull it out? It's really close to the bottom bracket so i think in theory it would work? Or?
You got the basics, but how do you get the expander plug up in there, much less pull it out without damaging anything else. Some of which has been mentioned by others, like the the brazed parts of the tube ends where it's lugged.

Also, this dent isn't something just ready to pop out. The metal was re-shaped and will have to be re-shaped if you swage it with your plug. And typically that requires going a little more in the other direction which has you bulging the tube all the way.

Also, inside diameters on tubes used for bikes isn't always the same through the length of the tube. I think the ends are narrower diameter than the middles. Don't know where this changes or if it is unique to double butted tubes or what.
Old 10-11-20, 12:43 PM
estebe

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Well, this was quick and unanimous 😃 thank you all, i'll bondo the dent and leave it be then...
Old 10-11-20, 12:46 PM
icemilkcoffee 

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1541 Post(s)
Liked 1,700 Times in 955 Posts
You need to have a ball shaped steel dolly pushing behind the dent, while you hammer -tap around the front of the dent to float the dent out.
A body shop guy who works on motorcycle gas tanks will have this type of dolly or spoon that lets they reach through a hole and get behind a dent.
Old 10-11-20, 01:42 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2731 Post(s)
Liked 3,361 Times in 2,034 Posts
Originally Posted by estebe
Unfortunately i don't have access to a lathe but how hard could it be to fabricate a cylinder to the inner diameter of the tube? Then drill it in the middle, tie a piece of string to it and pull it out? It's really close to the bottom bracket so i think in theory it would work? Or?
Seeing as you're near the joint you're likely in the butted section of the tube and the ID may vary.
Old 10-11-20, 01:48 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2731 Post(s)
Liked 3,361 Times in 2,034 Posts
While paint isn't the issue here you can look into "Paintless dent repair" . https://www.automoblog.net/2020/04/1...s-dent-repair/
Old 10-11-20, 09:03 PM
ddeand 

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked 102 Times in 46 Posts
This is what I had done on a pretty nice frame. Looks great! Cost about $50.

https://varcocycles.com/2020/07/02/d...n-old-serotta/
Old 10-12-20, 04:38 AM
Murray Missile 

Bikes: More than there were awhile ago.

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 620 Post(s)
Liked 1,205 Times in 575 Posts
I've successfully fixed a badly dented head tube. That said, head tubes are open at both ends plus there was a fair amount of paint loss. Based on personal experience..... embrace it as a page in the bike's story and "fuhgetaboutit".
Old 10-12-20, 05:09 AM
Lemond1985
Sophomore Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 1,057 Times in 631 Posts
I would fill the dent with some JB Weld, put a Chiquita Banana sticker over it, and then find something else to worry about. Actually, with a dent that small, you won't even need any JB Weld.
Likes For Lemond1985:
Old 10-12-20, 06:40 AM
easyupbug 

Bikes: too many sparkly Italians, some sweet Americans and a couple interesting Japanese

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 560 Post(s)
Liked 546 Times in 396 Posts
Originally Posted by ddeand

On an important frame to me this is what I have had done twice by our local frame builder and is routine for a good bicycle paint shop. New paint on both have thousands of miles and are perfect. I also have a MTB frame needing help and will have this done as it is the only technique that is recommended for powder coating.
Old 10-12-20, 07:22 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 6882 Post(s)
Liked 10,873 Times in 4,637 Posts
This is why they make stickers.
Old 10-13-20, 10:33 AM
xiaoman1 

Bikes: A few too many

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1359 Post(s)
Liked 2,173 Times in 1,178 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
You got the basics, but how do you get the expander plug up in there, much less pull it out without damaging anything else. Some of which has been mentioned by others, like the the brazed parts of the tube ends where it's lugged.

Also, this dent isn't something just ready to pop out. The metal was re-shaped and will have to be re-shaped if you swage it with your plug. And typically that requires going a little more in the other direction which has you bulging the tube all the way.

Also, inside diameters on tubes used for bikes isn't always the same through the length of the tube. I think the ends are narrower diameter than the middles. Don't know where this changes or if it is unique to double butted tubes or what.
Exactly!

Originally Posted by dedhed
While paint isn't the issue here you can look into "Paintless dent repair" . https://www.automoblog.net/2020/04/1...s-dent-repair/
Perhaps an option if they have the right tool and do not deform the opposite side of the tube.
Originally Posted by ddeand

This type of repair still leaves a dent that has to be filled as well as new matching spot repair or repaint...to me it seems excessive, BTETO.

Originally Posted by Koyote
This is why they make stickers.
The best option in my estimation or no sticker (not calling attention to the area)....repairing it will likely cause one to notice it more.

JMHO, Best, Ben
Old 10-14-20, 06:42 AM
commo_soulja

Bikes: are fun to ride

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 22 Posts
Steel? Leave it alone, consider it a mark of a well used bike.
Likes For commo_soulja:
Old 10-14-20, 06:48 AM
easyupbug 

Bikes: too many sparkly Italians, some sweet Americans and a couple interesting Japanese

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 560 Post(s)
Liked 546 Times in 396 Posts
Ben,

I agree with your spot repair comment but not on frames worth a respray, example below. With the "https://varcocycles.com/2020/07/02/dent-repair-on-an-old-serotta/" like repairs I had done on two similar sized dents the tubing blocks removed the high spots caused with the dent pushing out material around the dent. The brazing then completely filled the dent and excess was removed by filing until perfectly round. These were custom frames, a Reynolds 753 and Prestige Ultralight from local framebuilders and I get a great price on Imron paint from our painter. This procedure also allows powder coating which is as much as I would invest in the dented MTB I have, but I may not as the yellow color I like looks better with a clear coat which nearly doubles the cost and then the decal issues.
Old 10-14-20, 09:33 AM
xiaoman1 

Bikes: A few too many

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1359 Post(s)
Liked 2,173 Times in 1,178 Posts
Originally Posted by easyupbug
Ben,

I agree with your spot repair comment but not on frames worth a respray, example below. With the "https://varcocycles.com/2020/07/02/dent-repair-on-an-old-serotta/" like repairs I had done on two similar sized dents the tubing blocks removed the high spots caused with the dent pushing out material around the dent. The brazing then completely filled the dent and excess was removed by filing until perfectly round. These were custom frames, a Reynolds 753 and Prestige Ultralight from local framebuilders and I get a great price on Imron paint from our painter. This procedure also allows powder coating which is as much as I would invest in the dented MTB I have, but I may not as the yellow color I like looks better with a clear coat which nearly doubles the cost and then the decal issues.
I am not against restoration...My comment about respray had more to do with how much the OP is willing and able to spend on a bicycle, too often I read recommendations that in my estimation would be cost-prohibitive....everyone has a budget and an idea of the direction with which they want to proceed. The dent is not something that I would be worried about.
Personally, I am in the camp of those that prefer original unrestored...that being said, I do not own a rare bike in need of attention.
Hight spots can be tapped out by using a pick or jewelers hammer and the brazing if powder coating is the preferred finish...plastic filler can be used if a more traditional finish is in the works, precluding the need for blocks.
BTW, very nice looking resto!
Best, Ben

Last edited by xiaoman1; 10-14-20 at 12:15 PM.
Old 10-14-20, 07:58 PM
Reynolds 
Passista

Bikes: 1998 Pinarello Asolo, 1992 KHS Montaņa pro, 1980 Raleigh DL-1, IGH Hybrid, IGH Utility

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 866 Post(s)
Liked 711 Times in 392 Posts
I've heard of dents like this one repaired by filling them with tin solder. Never tried it myself tough.
Old 10-15-20, 06:57 AM
J.Higgins 
2-Wheeled Fool

Bikes: Surly Ogre, Brompton

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1385 Post(s)
Liked 677 Times in 457 Posts
I've successfully used LAB METAL on frames to be powdercoated. JB Weld on painted frames. I wouldn't refinish a frame just because of a dent that small, but each to his/her own. Get your finest model detailing brush and a jar of yellow paint. Clean the dent out real good and paint a microscopic smiley face in it. That way, it adds a little surprise to anyone who actually looks at it and notices what you've done with it. Class. Not classy, but a display of class and style.
Old 10-15-20, 08:58 AM
Amt0571

Bikes: Canyon Grand Canyon AL SL 8.0, Triban RC520 Gravel Ltd, Btwin Ultra 520 AF GF, Triban Road 7, Benotto 850

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 402 Post(s)
Liked 215 Times in 137 Posts
Use a filler and paint over it. I wouldn't risk damaging a frame that is perfectly rideable just to fix a small dent.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.