Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Lynskey "End of Season Sale"

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Old 08-30-19, 04:08 PM
Princess_Allez

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 40 Posts

Does anyone know if their current frameset sale is really a sale, or are the prices slashed/reduced all year long? If it really is a sale, I'm thinking of picking up a frameset to build over the winter.

I'm looking for a bike that would have similar geometry to a Specialized Tarmac. My reasoning is that I already own an Allez Sprint, for when I feel like pretending to be fast. A Tarmac-like Lynskey frame would be better suited to longer rides and climbing, but still sharp enough on descents. It seems the r480 is their race geometry; the helix is between a race and climbing bike; and the 270 and premiere are more comfort oriented. I don't like the tubing shape of the Helix. I'm leaning towards the 480 just based off looks. Can someone wither personal experience comment on the differences in feel?
Old 08-30-19, 05:31 PM
chainwhip

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Liked 135 Times in 84 Posts
The (Lynskey) is for the oldest of the old with lots of money; simple.

j/k
Old 08-30-19, 05:47 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3648 Post(s)
Liked 5,382 Times in 2,732 Posts
I just checked the website and I don't think you'll see frame prices lower than what they have now. If you want something for longer rides, the 270 might be a better choice than the 480.
Old 08-30-19, 06:02 PM
Princess_Allez

Originally Posted by chainwhip

j/k
That's me!
Likes For Princess_Allez:
Old 08-30-19, 06:14 PM
thehammerdog

Bikes: Road bike is a Carbon Bianchi C2C & Grandis (1980's), Gary Fisher Mt Bike, Trek Tandem & Mongoose SS MTB circa 1992.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 722 Post(s)
Liked 353 Times in 226 Posts
Goodie for you
get one you will love it

Originally Posted by Princess_Allez
That's me!
Likes For thehammerdog:
Old 08-30-19, 08:08 PM
Pridedog
Gone Biking!

Bikes: Orbea Gain, Lynskey, Redline Conquest Disc, Bike Friday, Cannnondale T2 Tandem.

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 28 Posts
Love Helix

I have the Helix and have no issues with shape of tubes. After a few rides you forget they're twisted. But I do enjoy relating the story why they are twisted.
Old 08-30-19, 08:25 PM
Chi_Z

Bikes: Niner RLT 9 RDO

Quoted: 263 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 50 Posts
$1400 for GR270 is a great deal, i am just not sold on the 1800g frame weight, there are steel frames lighters than that
Old 08-30-19, 08:27 PM
pvillemasher

Bikes: 1989 Trek 400, 2000 Lemond Buenos Aires, 2013 GT Attack, 2017 Lynskey R250

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
They have sales quite often, but it seems that their end of season sales are the lowest prices. I got mine in September a couple of years ago, and the prices seemed to always be at least a few hundred $$ more the next season.

I have the R250 which is just a 270 of 2 or 3 years ago. I love mine.
Old 08-31-19, 01:39 PM
SCTinkering

Bikes: 2020 T-Lab X-3 w/GRX Di2, 2018 Trek FX-5S with GRX/Xt 1x drive train

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 25 Posts
I'm seriously jonesing for a Helix Sport, but once I get it kitted out, well it's too much of a bite considering my 16 year old Airborne Ti is still going strong. Sure better head tube & fork, disc out back, but that's about it really.

For those that are Ti curious and have the money, this is your chance. You (probably) won't regret it.
Old 09-01-19, 10:21 PM
aliasfox

Bikes: Lynskey R270 Disc, Bianchi Vigorelli

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 299 Post(s)
Liked 156 Times in 131 Posts
I have an R270, took her out for 49 miles today. Very comfy.

One thing I would mention - Lynskey says the R270 is compatible with 28c tires, and mine came on Conti Ultra Sport IIs in 28c (on the Vision Team 30 wheels), and there's barely two millimeters of clearance by the chainstays. In fact, the rear wheel was rubbing on the right chainstay when I got home, had to reseat the rear wheel to get it to go away. I just got some Grand Prix 4000s in 25c to see if that will fix the issue, but don't think that this bike will take just any 28c on any rim.
Likes For aliasfox:
Old 09-01-19, 10:30 PM
Princess_Allez

Can someone explain why Moots bicycles are priced significantly higher than Lynskey?
Old 09-02-19, 05:55 AM
pvillemasher

Bikes: 1989 Trek 400, 2000 Lemond Buenos Aires, 2013 GT Attack, 2017 Lynskey R250

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Can someone explain why Moots bicycles are priced significantly higher than Lynskey?
I'm not sure how Moots does things, but there are a couple of ways I am aware that keep Lynskey's costs, and therefore prices, low.
One thing Lynskey does is sell direct, eliminating the markup of the bike store.
Another thing they do is they make a number of same size frames, and then they build them up and ship. This as opposed to making each frame one at a time and needing to change tooling settings for each different size frame.
Old 09-02-19, 07:03 AM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2134 Post(s)
Liked 1,643 Times in 825 Posts
The prices you are seeing are pretty darn good. If you get an extra 15% off framesets, then you'll have a hard time beating the prices. I love my Lynskeys.

Old 09-02-19, 01:00 PM
RShantz

Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 19 Posts
I was about to fork out the money for a Moots then ran across this thread over the weekend - thanks to the op.

I've spent time on a Moots and liked it a lot. I just couldn't justify the additional cost. On a gravel bike with the same groupset, comparable wheels, and comparable other stuff the Moots was $7k (from wrenchscience.com) while the Lynskey was $3,800.
Old 09-03-19, 01:20 AM
Princess_Allez

Originally Posted by RShantz
I was about to fork out the money for a Moots then ran across this thread over the weekend - thanks to the op.

I've spent time on a Moots and liked it a lot. I just couldn't justify the additional cost. On a gravel bike with the same groupset, comparable wheels, and comparable other stuff the Moots was $7k (from wrenchscience.com) while the Lynskey was $3,800.
Glad to be of service!
Old 09-03-19, 01:23 AM
Princess_Allez

Originally Posted by pvillemasher
I'm not sure how Moots does things, but there are a couple of ways I am aware that keep Lynskey's costs, and therefore prices, low.
One thing Lynskey does is sell direct, eliminating the markup of the bike store.
Another thing they do is they make a number of same size frames, and then they build them up and ship. This as opposed to making each frame one at a time and needing to change tooling settings for each different size frame.
I kinda figured their direct sales and build process, but the disparity in pricing still seemed too great to me. Long live the direct to consumer business model! I just wasn't sure if there was some superior tooling or raw materials I wasn't aware of.
Old 09-03-19, 04:25 AM
downhillmaster

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 776 Times in 402 Posts
Originally Posted by chainwhip

j/k
Someone has issues
Old 09-03-19, 05:01 AM
Fox Farm

Bikes: Merlin Extra Light, Orbea Orca, Ritchey Outback,Tomac Revolver Mountain Bike, Cannondale Crit 3.0 now used for time trials.

Liked 55 Times in 34 Posts
Moots does send their Ti tubes to the UK for Reynolds to sculpt the insides, butting and fluting and then ships them back to Colorado where they are assembled. I have not ridden one but I do ride an original Merlin and like the ride characteristics of titanium. I also ride a carbon Orbea Orca, also nice. I would say that titanium is much more durable than carbon.
Old 09-03-19, 06:35 AM
RShantz

Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 19 Posts
Originally Posted by Fox Farm
Moots does send their Ti tubes to the UK for Reynolds to sculpt the insides, butting and fluting and then ships them back to Colorado where they are assembled. I have not ridden one but I do ride an original Merlin and like the ride characteristics of titanium. I also ride a carbon Orbea Orca, also nice. I would say that titanium is much more durable than carbon.
Do you know if Moots ships the Ti to the UK b/c they don't have the capital to do so themselves or is it that Reynolds has superior craftmanship? This seems terribly inefficient.
Old 09-03-19, 01:12 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3648 Post(s)
Liked 5,382 Times in 2,732 Posts
I think Lynskey butts their tubes in house, FWIW. They were building Ti stuff for the chemical industry and others long before they got into bikes. In my riding group there are more Moots than Lynskeys by a good margin, but no complaints from either camp. There is nothing apparent to me, looking at the actual bikes, that would account for the price difference. There is more "hand holding" with Moots since they involve the LBS.
Old 09-03-19, 01:54 PM
Princess_Allez

Originally Posted by downhillmaster
Someone has issues
He's just quoting a joke that I made, from a different post about a typical, Specialized Roubaix owner
Old 09-03-19, 02:15 PM
masi61

Bikes: Puch Marco Polo, Saint Tropez, Masi Gran Criterium

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1163 Post(s)
Liked 441 Times in 314 Posts
Originally Posted by Chi_Z
$1400 for GR270 is a great deal, i am just not sold on the 1800g frame weight, there are steel frames lighters than that
That does seem quite heavy. I wonder what part of the frame is overbuilt?
My Wittson Illuminati disc ti frame I’m building up is listed as ~ 1440 grams for the frame. When I see current carbon frame weights routinely listed @ below 1,000 grams I’m kind of amazed. It makes me want to try to save some weight somewhere else on the build such as the wheels & maybe lighter weight disc calipers.
Old 09-03-19, 02:18 PM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2349 Post(s)
Liked 406 Times in 254 Posts
Originally Posted by Chi_Z
Originally Posted by masi61
That does seem quite heavy. I wonder what part of the frame is overbuilt?
My Wittson Illuminati disc ti frame I’m building up is listed as ~ 1440 grams for the frame. When I see current carbon frame weights routinely listed @ below 1,000 grams I’m kind of amazed. It makes me want to try to save some weight somewhere else on the build such as the wheels & maybe lighter weight disc calipers.
The yoke design permits wide rear tire clearance but increases the weight quite a bit.
Old 09-04-19, 04:05 PM
Fox Farm

Bikes: Merlin Extra Light, Orbea Orca, Ritchey Outback,Tomac Revolver Mountain Bike, Cannondale Crit 3.0 now used for time trials.

Liked 55 Times in 34 Posts
I would write to Moots to ask them about this. Cyclist magazine did a good review of the Moots RSL a few years ago.