Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

1972 Raleigh GP with two serial numbers?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-20, 02:44 PM
64Pete

Bikes: 6 or 7 Raleighs, a Schwinn, a Bianchi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts

Hi,

So after some discussion and research I’ve got this Raleigh Gran Prix down to 1972 as the model year.

It has Carlton decals on the fork but I guess one shouldn’t get too excited about that.

The big question that remains:

Why the two different serial numbers?

There is a number on the left drop out – 233435

And the other is on the BB shell -- 158975

Has anyone run into this before?

Pics are at: https://www.flickr.com/photos/raleig...57713940800358
Thanks for any info you can provide.

Pete

Last edited by 64Pete; 10-16-20 at 09:40 AM. Reason: can't spell!
Old 10-15-20, 05:12 PM
GMS 
Bike Dealer since 1972

Bikes: Some of the bikes I've collected: Raleighs ( about 20), Trek ( oldest 1978 770 Columbus tubes), Mercian, Condor, Bob Jackson, Falcon, Holdsworth, Jacques Anquetil, Bianchi, LeMond, Cannondale, Schwinn, Iver Johnson, Dunelt

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 29 Posts
Our local police use to stamp their own numbers when you got a bicycle license even when there was already a serial number.. I would guess the bb number was added. My Dad talked them into not stamping his Raleigh Pro Mark II and recording the SN instead.
Old 10-15-20, 08:45 PM
Bad Lag

Bikes: 1974 Bob Jackson - Nuovo Record, Brooks Pro, Clips & Straps

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked 794 Times in 452 Posts
It's a nice one.

But, ummm,... I don't know how to tell you this,... the rear brake is backwards.

That's a really dangerous modification, too, because when need to slow down and squeeze the rear brake lever, you'll actually speed up!
Likes For Bad Lag:
Old 10-15-20, 08:52 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7345 Post(s)
Liked 2,452 Times in 1,430 Posts
Originally Posted by Bad Lag
That's a really dangerous modification, too, because when need to slow down and squeeze the rear brake lever, you'll actually speed up!
Many of us prefer to do that to our old Raleighs.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 10-15-20, 08:53 PM
branko_76 

Bikes: ........................................ .....Holdsworth "Special"..... .......Falcon "Special".......... .........Miyata 912........... ........................................

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 702 Post(s)
Liked 671 Times in 419 Posts
It's quite common for illegal immigrants to have more than one Social Security number to evade the authorities, I wonder if your Grand Prix made its way here in the trunk of a car?
Old 10-15-20, 08:57 PM
nlerner

Mentioned: 481 Post(s)
Quoted: 3803 Post(s)
Liked 6,639 Times in 2,602 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
Many of us prefer to do that to our old Raleighs.

I thought that's what you do when you don't have enough cable housing to mount the brake properly.
Likes For nlerner:
Old 10-16-20, 06:03 AM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,036 Times in 1,874 Posts
Sometimes, when frames are contract manufactured, they have a serial number for both the contractor and client. This is more often the case when the client is a bicycle manufacturer and they receive raw frames on which they perform additional work, usually painting. Though it's less common, additional numbering can also happen with private brands. For instance, Sears bicycles are often stamped by the manufacturer with Sears' product numbers. Owners often confuse these as serial numbers.

1972 was the first really big year of the bicycle boom, when many manufacturers were having trouble meeting the sudden increase in demand. So, from that perspective, a contractor serial number would make sense. However, in this case the number on the bottom bracket shell appears to have applied after painting, based on the corrosion and chipping around the numbers. Consequently, it would appear to be something applied after it left the factory. I've seen bicycles stamped with social security numbers, police registration numbers and at the LBS where I worked, we even applied a shop and mechanic identifier. Every so often, someone will bring me a bicycle which I assembled back in the early 1970s.

The bottom line is that I don't know exactly what the number is, but the evidence suggests it was not factory applied.
Old 10-16-20, 09:33 AM
64Pete

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Hi,
First of all, thanks for the replies.
No worries on the rear brake. It gets turned around when I build up the bike.
The number stamped on the rear drop out seems most likely to be the serial number going by other Raleighs of similar vintage.
It's a Worksop made frame if you believe the decals. So a subcontractor seems unlikely.

I had not thought of a number stamped after the fact, such as a licensing or registration number. I suppose that could be.
Just one of those things that makes you wonder why, especially when no quick answer is found on the various bike forums.

Pete
Old 10-16-20, 09:36 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7345 Post(s)
Liked 2,452 Times in 1,430 Posts
Originally Posted by nlerner
I thought that's what you do when you don't have enough cable housing to mount the brake properly.
In my case, the cable stop is on the right side of the frame, and the cable fitting is on the left side of the caliper, so this is how I prevent the cable from crossing the frame.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 10-16-20, 09:43 AM
64Pete

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
BTW
Why can't I edit the title of my original post?
Will everyone who ever reads this thread know I can't spell serial right every time?

Pete
Old 10-16-20, 12:18 PM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 3085 Post(s)
Liked 6,566 Times in 3,764 Posts
Originally Posted by 64Pete
Why can't I edit the title of my original post?
Only the Moderator staff can edit a thread title. Next time, just report it and we'll fix it.

Old 10-16-20, 01:15 PM
64Pete

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by cb400bill
Only the Moderator staff can edit a thread title. Next time, just report it and we'll fix it.
Ok,
I see you fixed my typo.
Thanks!

Pete
Likes For 64Pete:
Old 10-16-20, 02:17 PM
madpogue 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 2362 Post(s)
Liked 1,746 Times in 1,190 Posts
The head badge appears a wee bit crooked as well. Must've been a Friday afternoon build, following a three-Watney's lunch.
Old 11-11-20, 12:15 AM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Bikes: https://www.theheadbadge.com

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Quoted: 2420 Post(s)
Liked 4,381 Times in 2,090 Posts
Sorry to bump this up, but the OP PM'ed me about a week ago for my opinion, so I thought I'd reply here:

The BB stamping does not match the typeface I'd expect to see from Raleigh's stamping tooling. Moreover, Raleigh stamped their frames first, then painted them. This one was obviously stamped after painting, which leads me to deduce that it's a classic PD desecration of the bottom bracket For Your Protection™ (and for your 10 buck registration).

Incidentally, long ago, I theorized that Raleigh had a 5-digit BB serial in the 1960's that looked like this. I had a '62 Raleigh frameset with it...and now that I look at it, it just dawned on me that it was stamped after the fact. I believe it came from PA too (it's been way too long for me to remember) and I'll be darned if that doesn't look like a very similar typeface.

-Kurt

Last edited by cudak888; 11-11-20 at 07:30 AM.
Old 11-11-20, 12:18 AM
madpogue 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 2362 Post(s)
Liked 1,746 Times in 1,190 Posts
^^^^^ The numbers on those two bikes indicate that they both voted.

(Okay I'll shut up now.)
Old 11-11-20, 12:54 AM
elcraft
elcraft

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked 103 Times in 72 Posts
Weren’t wrap around stays found on Gazelle made products? That might also explain two serial number sets.....

According to Kurt Kaminer’s site; “The Headbadge.
https://www.kurtkaminer.com/raleighg...x_holland.html

Gazelle models can occasionally carry two sets of serial numbers. Gazelle made products often had standard 24 tpi BSC threaded bottom brackets. This is a plus for upgrading the crankset. I don’t know if they used the Raleigh proprietary threading on the headset.

Last edited by elcraft; 11-11-20 at 01:03 AM.
Old 11-11-20, 03:12 AM
bwilli88 
Not lost wanderer.

Bikes: In USA; 73 Raleigh Super Course dingle speed, 72 Raleigh Gran Sport SS, 72 Geoffry Butler, 81 Centurion Pro-Tour, 74 Gugie Grandier Sportier

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 885 Post(s)
Liked 986 Times in 519 Posts
Originally Posted by elcraft
I don’t know if they used the Raleigh proprietary threading on the headset.
My 74 Gazelle has a 24TPI headset and bottom bracket.

Last edited by bwilli88; 11-11-20 at 09:12 AM.
Old 11-11-20, 07:31 AM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Bikes: https://www.theheadbadge.com

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Quoted: 2420 Post(s)
Liked 4,381 Times in 2,090 Posts
Originally Posted by elcraft
Weren’t wrap around stays found on Gazelle made products? That might also explain two serial number sets.....

According to Kurt Kaminer’s site; “The Headbadge.
https://www.kurtkaminer.com/raleighg...x_holland.html

Gazelle models can occasionally carry two sets of serial numbers. Gazelle made products often had standard 24 tpi BSC threaded bottom brackets. This is a plus for upgrading the crankset. I don’t know if they used the Raleigh proprietary threading on the headset.
Gazelle made a lot of Grand Prix models with wrap-around stays, not the other way around.

The second serial on Gazelle-built GPs, like Raleigh, were under the paint and used a different stamp.

-Kurt

Old 11-15-20, 07:46 PM
64Pete

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by cudak888
Sorry to bump this up, but the OP PM'ed me about a week ago for my opinion, so I thought I'd reply here:

The BB stamping does not match the typeface I'd expect to see from Raleigh's stamping tooling. Moreover, Raleigh stamped their frames first, then painted them. This one was obviously stamped after painting, which leads me to deduce that it's a classic PD desecration of the bottom bracket For Your Protection™ (and for your 10 buck registration).

Incidentally, long ago, I theorized that Raleigh had a 5-digit BB serial in the 1960's that looked like this. I had a '62 Raleigh frameset with it...and now that I look at it, it just dawned on me that it was stamped after the fact. I believe it came from PA too (it's been way too long for me to remember) and I'll be darned if that doesn't look like a very similar typeface.

-Kurt
Kurt,
Thanks for posting. I don't know if I was hoping for the serial numbers to denote something special or not.
The Police dept stamping on the bottom bracket seems plausible.
The bike, actually frame minus wheels, was in Maryland when I got it.
I'll have to find time to put it together now that the "mystery" is solved.

Thanks again

Pete
Likes For 64Pete: