Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Trek 1x Conversion

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Trek 1x Conversion

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-20, 07:04 AM
appleman

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Trek 1x Conversion

Hello,

I am looking to upgrade my old mountain bike to a 1x setup. The first thing is finding a compatible bottom bracket, I will attach a picture of my current one. I would like a Shimano setup, doesn’t need to be anything too fancy. Any help finding these items would be great.

Thanks
Old 10-21-20, 08:12 AM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1819 Post(s)
Liked 1,693 Times in 974 Posts
Choose the bottom bracket after you choose the crank, not before. The crank you buy will determine the spindle length and type you need

Last edited by alcjphil; 10-21-20 at 08:31 AM.
Likes For alcjphil:
Old 10-21-20, 09:22 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6193 Post(s)
Liked 4,808 Times in 3,316 Posts
That BB tends to indicate that your shell is BSA threaded 1.37"x 24 tpi and 68mm wide. I'd verify the width by measuring the bb shell though.

Look for a groupset that has a crank you like that also has a BSA threaded BB as one of it's options. There are many of them. I prefer two piece cranks. But I've always used road bikes with road groups. But in mountain bike groups you'll be able to find plenty of 1x groups. If you can't go two piece crank, I'd at least get ISIS or Octalink. It'll leave you with less specs to worry yourself about than the square taper bb.