Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > "The 33"-Road Bike Racing
Reload this Page >

Impact of Pandemic on Racing

Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

Impact of Pandemic on Racing

Old 04-03-20, 08:29 AM
kensuf
My idea of fun

Bikes: '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '02 Kona Lavadome, '07 Giant TCR Advanced, '07 Karate Monkey

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 59 Times in 36 Posts
Oh yeah, meditation twice a day too.
Likes For kensuf:
Old 04-03-20, 01:17 PM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Quoted: 1327 Post(s)
Liked 2,439 Times in 1,426 Posts
My wife ordered workout bands. They come with a door connector. In looking over the possible exercises, they are not bad and easy to do.
Old 04-03-20, 06:03 PM
TheKillerPenguin
Nonsense

Bikes: Affirmative

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 880 Post(s)
Liked 541 Times in 237 Posts
Caught myself a minor chest cold, so I'm in super paranoid mode. A recovery ride earlier in the week made me need my inhaler! I rode yesterday at low z2 for an hour and there was a similar result. It's mighty frustrating, and a little bit weird given what's going on.

My older brother in VT is almost positive he has it. However VT will only test if you are over 60 or immunocompromised. He's been instructed to quarantine and monitor his fever for now.

Found a few 3m face masks in the garage! Forgot I bought em last year for working around the house.
Old 04-03-20, 06:26 PM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 912 Post(s)
Liked 752 Times in 342 Posts
FFS, TKP

My wife and I spent two days getting in touch with disney to donate ponchos which are on the list of PPE substitutes. They donated 150,000 or something to a neutral distribution group. So on the heels of that someone at her hospital used their connection at the yankees, and got a donation of ponchos. Without explanation they started distributing them to staff, who were like ‘wtf.’ There were a bunch of negative social media posts and the resulted in some bad press. The hospital CEO walked it back yesterday on the daily staff briefing as confusion over a gift. Rather than ‘look folks, we’re out of PPE. This is in case of an emergency. Any port in a storm.’ What a **** show. His communications team is like a monkey ******g a football.

Now I'm moderating a group of people who are sewing masks for donations, only the esty folks are pissed about it because they see it as cutting into their sales.
Likes For gsteinb:
Old 04-03-20, 07:43 PM
Hermes
Version 7.0

TheKillerPenguin We better blow some of Cypress ‘s good mojo smoke in your direction. Take care.
Old 04-04-20, 08:22 AM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 2505 Post(s)
Liked 2,959 Times in 1,571 Posts
Yikes, stay healthy all.
Old 04-04-20, 04:50 PM
TheKillerPenguin
Nonsense

Aint the worst thing ever, it's just odd. Throat isn't sore anymore, but top of my chest feels like I huffed fiberglass. No fever, can take full breaths. I'm *wagering* i am just being hyper vigilant about a regular cold. Doc told me to sit tight and give em a call Monday if things haven't improved.
Likes For TheKillerPenguin:
Old 04-04-20, 05:45 PM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

Spent a good chunk of time looking back through my training files for February. Pretty certain I had covid. My HR was through the roof, and power was in the cellar. There's weeks of 60 minutes ride at sub 120 watts with HR 150-160. I recovered from major surgeries quicker. I took a ton of time off and even when I forced myself back on the bike it continued to be a mess. Then my wife got it, and my kid visited and ge got super sick. They're starting to test to track the spread and see if folks who are recovered had it, so I'm going to see what's involved. Even now like two months past my power is 20-30 watts off in all zones from where it was in January. Curious to see when/if it comes back, but all signs point to this season being a washout even if some part of the general racing calendar is salvaged.
Old 04-04-20, 05:46 PM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

Originally Posted by TheKillerPenguin
Aint the worst thing ever, it's just odd. Throat isn't sore anymore, but top of my chest feels like I huffed fiberglass. No fever, can take full breaths. I'm *wagering* i am just being hyper vigilant about a regular cold. Doc told me to sit tight and give em a call Monday if things haven't improved.
Don't go unless you need to. Probably the best way to catch it now if you don't have it.
Likes For gsteinb:
Old 04-04-20, 06:00 PM
TheKillerPenguin
Nonsense

Totally agree! They're doing remote appointments so I'd prob just zoom with my doc if I had to. We also have drive thru covid testing a 10 minute drive from here if it comes to that (but I doubt it will).
Old 04-05-20, 04:57 PM
Doge

Bikes: 1979 Raleigh Team 753

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3374 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 253 Posts
Originally Posted by gregf83
You're getting bogged down in minutia. Once the virus gets hold in a region there isn't a lot of difference in the growth rates. The slope of all the lines regardless of whether it's a city or country is similar. Italy was above 20% per day and now, with fairly draconian measures, they are down to about 15% a day which still results in a doubling of cases every 5 days so not very good.
California is still above 20% day over day increase so it won't be long before your state will be at similar numbers per capita to Italy.

I don't really understand what you're arguing about. It sounds like in your mind this isn't a serious situation and doesn't require any special effort. You sound very much like your president last week. Wait a couple of weeks and I suspect you'll have a different view.
A few days later, is it more apparent what I was arguing about?
The models did not apply to CA. The models better fit NYC and the surrounding area.
There was and is little reason to shut down restaurants and schools here.

SFO still has 7 deaths. Hong Kong 8.5M people 4-5 deaths, Singapore 5M people 7 deaths. The last two are places you can go out to eat.
My statement was that the death rates/capita are vastly different based on region, to which you said CA would be similar to Italy by now. Italy @16K deaths, CA @320.
I'm pretty sure I know the reason. We already had it in CA (and Hong Kong and Singapore).
Our first known case flew in from China, went to Irvine and checked in lat January to Hoag Irvine. Likely months before there were those making similar trips to SFO and LA and hitting Irvine.
Lots of us had symptoms as described for COVID-19. We got it visiting SFO, and working and living in Irvine.

Anyway the models for SoCal are so far off, it is barely worth discussing. We have about 800 people die per day in CA. COVID-19 is under 10% of those that die and it seems to be on the decline.
Old 04-05-20, 09:09 PM
Ttoc6
Cat 2

Bikes: Tarmac, Why Cycles R+, Evil The Calling

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Quoted: 605 Post(s)
Liked 194 Times in 87 Posts
A gravel race I did last year and had on my radar for this year got postponed from June to October. A fun race up in northern wyoming called The Dead Swede for all who play the dirty road bikes game.

We'll see how things go, but I might be able to swing a long race in October.. who knows!
Old 04-05-20, 09:31 PM
procrit
carbon is too light

Bikes: Yes.

Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked 245 Times in 157 Posts
Originally Posted by gsteinb
Spent a good chunk of time looking back through my training files for February. Pretty certain I had covid. My HR was through the roof, and power was in the cellar. There's weeks of 60 minutes ride at sub 120 watts with HR 150-160. I recovered from major surgeries quicker. I took a ton of time off and even when I forced myself back on the bike it continued to be a mess. Then my wife got it, and my kid visited and ge got super sick. They're starting to test to track the spread and see if folks who are recovered had it, so I'm going to see what's involved. Even now like two months past my power is 20-30 watts off in all zones from where it was in January. Curious to see when/if it comes back, but all signs point to this season being a washout even if some part of the general racing calendar is salvaged.
I ordered 20 antibody test kits (15 minute test strip) that should be here this week unless there’s a shipping delay. If you want, I can send one. I spent some time in San Francisco in Jan and almost all of Feb in NYC. I came down with something bad late Feb in NY that had me in bed sleeping for two days and a resting HR of 80+ (it’s typically mid - upper 40s). Took me two full weeks to even want to work out again.
Old 04-06-20, 04:04 AM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

Originally Posted by procrit
I ordered 20 antibody test kits (15 minute test strip) that should be here this week unless there’s a shipping delay. If you want, I can send one. I spent some time in San Francisco in Jan and almost all of Feb in NYC. I came down with something bad late Feb in NY that had me in bed sleeping for two days and a resting HR of 80+ (it’s typically mid - upper 40s). Took me two full weeks to even want to work out again.

I didn't know one could do such a thing. Gee wow yeah thanks.
Old 04-06-20, 05:29 AM
Ttoc6
Cat 2

Originally Posted by procrit
If you have an extra and wouldn't mind, I'll gladly pay for the test and for you to ship me one. I was very sick all of January (after going international) and kinda wondering as well. No one else around me got sick, but this was before the whole thing blew up.

Edit with more details.. Pneumonia like symptoms. Constant crud. Hardto breathe under efforts etc etc

Last edited by Ttoc6; 04-06-20 at 09:16 AM.
Old 04-06-20, 06:51 AM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4196 Post(s)
Liked 2,912 Times in 1,781 Posts
I hadn't realized that they had an antibody test out yet. That's cool.
Old 04-07-20, 05:30 PM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

Reports out today from the UK were that the anitbody test doesn't work. Not sure if it's the same test. Stay tuned, I guess.

My wife lost someone today she worked closely with for the last decade. She was pretty gutted. She's deep into the single malt. Should be a fun couple of weeks. She works in a hospital in the poorest county in the country, with the highest rate of comorbidity.
Old 04-07-20, 07:31 PM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4196 Post(s)
Liked 2,912 Times in 1,781 Posts
She works in a hospital in the poorest county in the country, with the highest rate of comorbidity.
My governor (Kentucky) has been pointedly mentioning in his daily briefs how we've got to come out of this healthier as a state so that we don't have so many high risk people the next time we have a health crisis like this.
Likes For himespau:
Old 04-07-20, 08:50 PM
Hermes
Version 7.0

gsteinb Please extend my condolences to your wife.
Old 04-08-20, 08:32 AM
cmh

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 327 Times in 161 Posts
Really sorry for your wife's loss, gsteinb. Glad we have people like her working in hospitals through this time.
Old 04-08-20, 11:00 AM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

Thanks everyone.
Old 04-08-20, 01:24 PM
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

Bikes: Lots. Van Dessel and Squid Dealer

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1325 Post(s)
Liked 1,306 Times in 560 Posts
They've been on again and off again with shutting my wife's facility down. She runs an immediate care facility. They keep wanting to close one and move the staff to the hospital. First she was going to end up in the respiratory tent in the parking lot. Then they decided that wouldn't work as they use a different charting software. Etc. Nurses are ducking out. She had to let her best friend go. Her friend is just hopped on a plane to Mexico in order to avoid it (not possible but she's not the brightest). Left her 17 yr old son in the US with her parents looking in on him.

She finally got word they are keeping their site open as a "clean" facility or a place to handle non-covid cases. Good news but she is still seeing a ton of patients with it.

"Rob, the x-rays of their chests...they're scary. it looks like broken glass. So much damage. You can tell the second you put it up."

We've been exposed so many times and the illness that has been hanging on in our house for about 1.5 months is most likely covid but without knowing for sure...there's nothing we can do. If it is then much of what was presented is incorrect. We have hardly ever had a fever. Each one of us will have a hour or so of slightly elevated temps every couple of days. like 1-2 degrees. The mechanisms used end up translating to the feelings you/we get when we've been putting a heavy training block in. Your oxygen levels drop. Your body starts eating glycogen stores. Produces excess lactic acid apparently. That's where the headaches, and body/muscle soreness come in. She's been having patients come in with 84-87% oxygen but feeling fine. Get sort of winded when walking long distances or having to do much work. No fevers. Otherwise asymptomatic.

Hopefully you are well KP but what you're describing is right in line with what we have been seeing around here.

Hope the antibody tests end up being fixed and make it out widely. That's our only chance of returning to some semblance of life before a full vaccine in a year's time. That way we can get an idea of who has had it.

USA Cycling hasn't cancelled everything yet. British cycling has through/until June as well as UCI. Seeing a lot of flak generated towards the USOC. "Why do we spend so much on this. The athletes don't even get anything really" kind of stuff.

Dirty Kanza pushed back into August...killing any normal race's chance of staying alive in August. Tour of America's Dairyland sent out a survey to ask when to reschedule or if people just want to see it cancelled. I voted cancelled because they would be rescheduling it for August as well. It will be interesting to see what happens to USA Cycling through all of this.

Old 04-08-20, 01:47 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8191 Post(s)
Liked 8,849 Times in 4,396 Posts
Thanks everyone.
Did she go back to work today? She must be very brave, I can't imagine.
Likes For big john:
Old 04-08-20, 01:51 PM
Ttoc6
Cat 2

Originally Posted by Psimet2001
Dirty Kanza pushed back into August...killing any normal race's chance of staying alive in August. Tour of America's Dairyland sent out a survey to ask when to reschedule or if people just want to see it cancelled. I voted cancelled because they would be rescheduling it for August as well. It will be interesting to see what happens to USA Cycling through all of this.
September 10th - 13th. Same weekend as LotoJa. I expect LoToJa race participation and ride participation overall to be way down. So far the race season is just pushing out into the fall. IDK if that is really sustainable.

Tour of Utah cancelled. I don't expect it to come back either.
Old 04-08-20, 02:39 PM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

Since her injury last year my wife has mainly worked remote. We have an apartment in the city that she uses when she needs to be in. However, all non medical staff is basically remote at this point. Most space has been converted to bed space to meet the order about multiplying capacity.
Likes For gsteinb:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.