Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Looking for a Good Hybrid

Search
Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-19, 09:27 PM
Rochelle24

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hey All,

Last summer I bought a Canondale 105 off of the LetGo app. It works great. No issues whatsoever. The problem is I don’t live in a road biking accessible area. Our streets are uneven, our sidewalks are worse and paved trails are far and in between. I wish I would have bought a Hybrid or Cross bike instead. So now I’m looking into doing just that. Any tips on whether I should go Hybrid or Cross? I only partially understand the difference. Also, how likely is it that I could get hybrid tires on my Canondale 105 frame? Would you suggest that? Thank you for your wisdom!

Peace,

Rochelle
Old 04-25-19, 02:50 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by Rochelle24
Hey All,

Last summer I bought a Canondale 105 off of the LetGo app. It works great. No issues whatsoever. The problem is I don’t live in a road biking accessible area. Our streets are uneven, our sidewalks are worse and paved trails are far and in between. I wish I would have bought a Hybrid or Cross bike instead. So now I’m looking into doing just that. Any tips on whether I should go Hybrid or Cross? I only partially understand the difference. Also, how likely is it that I could get hybrid tires on my Canondale 105 frame? Would you suggest that? Thank you for your wisdom!

Peace,

Rochelle
Cross has drop handlebars, hybrid has flat. You're probably going to have to try them out to see what you'd prefer.

My general sense is you get a better value for the price if you buy the right hybrid, dropbar bikes with comparable components just tend to cost more.

Hybrid is a really poorly defined category, some of them are really road bikes with flat handlebars, which won't work for you. If you want a hybrid, you will want one that takes wide tires, probably something like 36 mm at least.

I don't think your 105 is going to accommodate wide tires--it probably maxes out at 28 mm.
Old 04-25-19, 03:56 PM
AU Tiger

Bikes: 2018 Fuji Jari 1.5, 2017 Kona Fire Mountain

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 36 Posts
If you like the dropbars on your Canondale and are just looking for something that can handle rougher roads, you might also consider a gravel bike.
https://road.cc/content/buyers-guide...ats-difference