Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Official Specialized Crosstrail owners thread

Search
Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Official Specialized Crosstrail owners thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-16, 02:46 PM
trainchaser

Bikes: my bikes: Old: 1965 Schwinn 10 speed, 72 Monshee 12 speed, 77 Norco 12 speed, 95 Trek 850, two Specialized Crosstrails, 2016 Specialized carbon Sirrus. New 2020 Trek FX1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 14 Posts
Wow! There are very few things that haven't been completely changed on the Crosstrail from 2016 to 2017. To get anything close to what we used to have available with the Comp, Expert and Pro, you have no option but to go with a carbon frame. And my 2015 Comp has mostly Shimano components, which I prefer, the new bikes have component names I've never even heard of so that makes me shy away from "upgrading"... I like the ability to shift my shock on the fly as I use this feature every time I ride. My bike has an XT rear deraileur and shimano cassette which you can now only get on the highest level bike. No more Shimano brakes, only Tektro on everything...
Be interesting to check out the Merida line of bikes to see what components they're using, as our Crosstrails are all made in Taiwan at the same factory. Other than the carbon frame I don't view the new lineup as being an improvement, I was told by several bike mechanics that if you're going to get a carbon frame you need to go with a higher end bike as there are definite differences in the quality of the carbon frames depending on the price of the bike...
...unfortunately, in my opinion, this line of bikes has been downgraded to make them more profitable. Seeing as how most of my riding is now on pavement, my upgrade path will now most likely aim at a carbon frame Sirrus, which I sometimes wish I had gotten instead. But maybe I'll get a Sirrus as well and hang on to my Comp for those times I do hit some gritty and gravelly trails...
Old 08-08-16, 05:20 PM
ColonelSanders
Banned.

Bikes: 2017 Surly Troll with XT Drive Train, 2017 Merida Big Nine XT Edition, 2016 Giant Toughroad SLR 2, 1995 Trek 830

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1916 Post(s)
Liked 310 Times in 218 Posts
Originally Posted by trainchaser
Wow! There are very few things that haven't been completely changed on the Crosstrail from 2016 to 2017. To get anything close to what we used to have available with the Comp, Expert and Pro, you have no option but to go with a carbon frame. And my 2015 Comp has mostly Shimano components, which I prefer, the new bikes have component names I've never even heard of so that makes me shy away from "upgrading"... I like the ability to shift my shock on the fly as I use this feature every time I ride. My bike has an XT rear deraileur and shimano cassette which you can now only get on the highest level bike. No more Shimano brakes, only Tektro on everything...
Be interesting to check out the Merida line of bikes to see what components they're using, as our Crosstrails are all made in Taiwan at the same factory. Other than the carbon frame I don't view the new lineup as being an improvement, I was told by several bike mechanics that if you're going to get a carbon frame you need to go with a higher end bike as there are definite differences in the quality of the carbon frames depending on the price of the bike...
...unfortunately, in my opinion, this line of bikes has been downgraded to make them more profitable. Seeing as how most of my riding is now on pavement, my upgrade path will now most likely aim at a carbon frame Sirrus, which I sometimes wish I had gotten instead. But maybe I'll get a Sirrus as well and hang on to my Comp for those times I do hit some gritty and gravelly trails...

I think it is pretty easy to justify having both a Sirrus and Crosstrail, for the different types of riding one may do.
Old 08-09-16, 06:08 AM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2975 Post(s)
Liked 1,181 Times in 771 Posts
. Seeing as how most of my riding is now on pavement, my upgrade path will now most likely aim at a carbon frame Sirrus, which I sometimes wish I had gotten instead. But maybe I'll get a Sirrus as well and hang on to my Comp for those times I do hit some gritty and gravelly trails...
My first fitness bike was a crosstrail. I soon found out the heavy suspension fork was useless. Even on gritty gravelly trails.
Old 08-09-16, 10:53 AM
trainchaser

Bikes: my bikes: Old: 1965 Schwinn 10 speed, 72 Monshee 12 speed, 77 Norco 12 speed, 95 Trek 850, two Specialized Crosstrails, 2016 Specialized carbon Sirrus. New 2020 Trek FX1

This discussion has taken place numerous times on this forum, so numerous I can't even begin to remember all of them. Some like a suspension fork, others hate them, I have trouble with my wrists on ANY bike, regardless of all the amazing styles of grips and gloves and handle bar types. The trails I ride have numerous trestles, tree roots, bumpy dirt sections, loose gravel and a few holes to dodge. You don't see too many "roadies" on those parts for a reason. I've ridden a bike without a suspension fork on this trail and my wrists ached and hands went numb, my current Crosstrail Comp has virtually solved the issue with its combination of riding position and a lockable suspension. I do hear what you're saying and it does apply to most riding surfaces but there are still times when one needs a front suspension...
Old 08-09-16, 11:07 AM
FLJeepGuy

Bikes: 2014 Specialized Crosstrail Disc, 1995 Specialized HardRock Ultra, 1991 Trek 1200, late 80's Tunturi 500R, plus various others moving through my garage...

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This discussion has taken place numerous times on this forum, so numerous I can't even begin to remember all of them. Some like a suspension fork, others hate them, I have trouble with my wrists on ANY bike, regardless of all the amazing styles of grips and gloves and handle bar types. The trails I ride have numerous trestles, tree roots, bumpy dirt sections, loose gravel and a few holes to dodge. You don't see too many "roadies" on those parts for a reason. I've ridden a bike without a suspension fork on this trail and my wrists ached and hands went numb, my current Crosstrail Comp has virtually solved the issue with its combination of riding position and a lockable suspension. I do hear what you're saying and it does apply to most riding surfaces but there are still times when one needs a front suspension...
I'm with you on this one. Every time a bike that isn't a full suspended off-road model is mentioned around here as having a suspension fork, it's only a matter of a very short time that someone pipes up about how crappy and heavy these forks are. I really love the way my Crosstrail rides, and the weight of the fork has never been an issue for me. I'm well past the age where I'm worried about a few extra seconds per lap of my favorite riding spots. The convenience of the lockout really makes this a moot point anyway.
Old 08-09-16, 01:04 PM
prj71

The trails I ride have numerous trestles, tree roots, bumpy dirt sections, loose gravel and a few holes to dodge.
Sounds like a trail more suited for mountain bike.

You don't see too many "roadies" on those parts for a reason.
Judging by the way you described the trail, I can see why.

I've ridden a bike without a suspension fork on this trail and my wrists ached and hands went numb, my current Crosstrail Comp has virtually solved the issue with its combination of riding position and a lockable suspension. I do hear what you're saying and it does apply to most riding surfaces but there are still times when one needs a front suspension...
After accounting for sag, there is very little suspension travel on the fork. The suspension forks on these hybrid bikes are pure junk. They don't work well and add a lot of weight. With a rigid fork you can get most, if not all, of the comfort of the cheap suspension fork by simply reducing the front tire pressure.

But the bike manufacturers build what sells, and there are a lot of uninformed people that think suspension makes riding better. True on a higher end mountain bike. Not so true on the hybrid bikes.
Old 08-09-16, 04:10 PM
trainchaser

...the whole reason for getting the Crosstrail was the fact I don't want, and don't have room to store two bikes, I just want one that will do the job and my Crosstrail Comp - with it's suspension fork - seems to be quite adept at it. I didn't want a road bike or a mountain bike but a hybrid as I can't do drop bars and a mountain bike is overkill on the other 75% of what I ride on. I did consider the Sirrus and maybe in the future will look again.
Just as in all the other threads on this topic, there are proponents and opponents, I fall into the first group and you, obviously, the second and we shall have to agree to disagree and leave it at that...
Old 08-09-16, 06:10 PM
ColdCase

Bikes: Crosstrail Comp Disc

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by prj71

After accounting for sag, there is very little suspension travel on the fork. The suspension forks on these hybrid bikes are pure junk. They don't work well and add a lot of weight. With a rigid fork you can get most, if not all, of the comfort of the cheap suspension fork by simply reducing the front tire pressure.

But the bike manufacturers build what sells, and there are a lot of uninformed people that think suspension makes riding better. True on a higher end mountain bike. Not so true on the hybrid bikes.
The bike is not for everyone, but its about a perfect compromise for me. I see you are relatively uninformed about how well these bikes do just about everything. I don't think you know what you are talking about in general, but make a couple points that are valid in isolation. On flat or crushed gravel ride is ehh... But after hitting a 1 inch tree root bump on asphalt at 20 mph, with carbon forks, with steel forks, with good and bad suspension forks, high tire pressure and low, I'd say the crosstrail comp forks and frame are ideal (for me). Makes a nasty situation easy to handle, not the best thing for that kind of bump for sure... but that best thing has nasty handling otherwise and is not a pleasure to ride. Life is a compromise, and I've enjoyed the crosstrail for over a year and 1000 miles, still puts a smile on my face.

I've ridden a bunch of different bikes over the years, and there is no one bike thats right for everyone. Those that complain about suspension forks typically never ride where they make a difference..... so their opinion is dis-colored .

Without these kinds of discussions, it would be hard to learn anything new, however.
Old 08-09-16, 06:23 PM
travbikeman

Bikes: State 4130 Custom, Giant Trance 29

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 422 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 123 Posts
Originally Posted by ColdCase
The bike is not for everyone, but its about a perfect compromise for me. I see you are relatively uninformed about how well these bikes do just about everything. I don't think you know what you are talking about in general, but make a couple points that are valid in isolation. On flat or crushed gravel ride is ehh... But after hitting a 1 inch tree root bump on asphalt at 20 mph, with carbon forks, with steel forks, with good and bad suspension forks, high tire pressure and low, I'd say the crosstrail comp forks and frame are ideal (for me). Makes a nasty situation easy to handle, not the best thing for that kind of bump for sure... but that best thing has nasty handling otherwise and is not a pleasure to ride. Life is a compromise, and I've enjoyed the crosstrail for over a year and 1000 miles, still puts a smile on my face.

I've ridden a bunch of different bikes over the years, and there is no one bike thats right for everyone. Those that complain about suspension forks typically never ride where they make a difference..... so their opinion is dis-colored .

Without these kinds of discussions, it would be hard to learn anything new, however.
I'm in agreement with Coldcase. While I greatly agree suspension is not for everyone, I did recently test out a gravel bike with the carbon fork and I just wasn't as impressed, or actually just afraid I was going to break it. The suspension is heavier, It is not a mountain bike suspension, so it won't handle really harsh trails, but for the gravel trails I ride, I'm liking it. The new Crosstrails are interesting, but I wish they kept the E5 alum rather than carbon.

Yes, I see road bikes on the trails I go on, they zoomed by me on the C n O recently. But that's ok with me, I like sticking to 13 mph's on these trails to see things, not for timing my speed.
Old 08-09-16, 09:01 PM
badger1

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1581 Post(s)
Liked 1,189 Times in 605 Posts

That (in bold), at least, is true. Your post(s) on this subject are a case in point.
Old 08-10-16, 06:45 AM
prj71

Originally Posted by ColdCase
I see you are relatively uninformed about how well these bikes do just about everything. I don't think you know what you are talking about...
I owned a crosstrail for a year and put over 2000 mIles on it riding road and some light off road trails around town.

I have a pretty good feel for the bike and what it can and can't do well.
Old 08-10-16, 07:32 AM
DorkDisk

Bikes: Ritchey Swiss Cross | Teesdale Kona Hot | Haro Extreme | Specialized Stumpjumper Comp | Cannondale F1000 | Shogun 1000 | Cannondale M500 | Norco Charger | Marin Muirwoods 29er | Shogun Kaze | Breezer Lightning

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 576 Post(s)
Liked 1,001 Times in 488 Posts
Suspension vs rigid predates the internet as we know it; it started when the RS-1 first appeared. It wasn't until suspension actually worked that the argument was settled in the MTB world. Suspension won due to the benefits of increased tire traction and less rider fatigue, both yield tremendous benefits off road

That being said, many of us still ride fully rigid MTBs. The riding styles are completely different. Rigid requires more upper body english, unweighting certain parts of the bike at certain times, and picking your lines better. The better the suspension, the more you are able to pick the fastest line and just stay seated and spin.

The main argument against these SR forks is not the old suspension vs rigid, its the notion that these entry level forks are not effective and that rigid is better. At any price point, suspension takes resources away from other components. I cannot disagree with either statements

On the other hand, if it alleviates body pain and makes cycling possible, that's fantastic. Im getting older and the injuries are racking up, I can dig that.

I agree that most beginners are misguided about what they want in a bike, equating suspension with comfort over fit and tire pressure.

Full disclosure: four mountain bikes: three rigid (one steel, one Al, one steel and Al), one with a squishy fork (sid XX)
Old 08-10-16, 08:17 AM
prj71

Billy get it. Post #101 Crossstrail with carbon fork is what the crosstrail should be.

https://www.bikeforums.net/hybrid-bic...-thread-5.html
Old 08-10-16, 10:08 AM
trainchaser

Billy get it. Post #101 Crossstrail with carbon fork is what the crosstrail should be.

https://www.bikeforums.net/hybrid-bic...-thread-5.html
...according to you...that is your opinion, and I and others will choose to disagree, so why belabor your point? That is what always happens in the suspension fork vs solid fork "debates". You're not going to convince those who prefer them so stop wasting your breath and our time...
Old 08-10-16, 03:47 PM
badger1

...according to you...that is your opinion, and I and others will choose to disagree, so why belabor your point? That is what always happens in the suspension fork vs solid fork "debates". You're not going to convince those who prefer them so stop wasting your breath and our time...
Good to see you back round these parts, trainchaser.

On the current topic (within this thread), seems largely pointless to me to respond directly (though I couldn't resist earlier). Just another silly example of someone elaborating a mere personal preference into some sort of pretend 'objective truth', presumably based on yet another of cycling's many myths.

This one ('rigid is faster on the road') ranks right up there with 'narrower/higher pressure tires are faster' and 'drop bars are inherently much more betterer'.

Suspension other than the suspension inherent in the pneumatic tire is the coming thing in road bikes. Cannondale Slate (active front suspension); Trek Domane (semi-active rear and now -- on the high-end [World Tour race-level] models -- front); and Pinarello's World Tour race-level cobbles bike (active rear) are cases in point. This development will continue, and become more common as designs are refined and active suspension devices dedicated to on-road use become lighter through the use of current materials technology.

Jan Heine's thoughts:

"Comfort = Speed
It really is that simple. And it’s revolutionized how we think about bikes: Wide, supple tires are faster because they vibrate less. Fork blades that absorb road shocks – even suspension forks – are faster, not just on rough roads, but even on relatively smooth roads, because they reduce vibrations. On real roads and at the speeds most of us ride (<25 mph), the best “gravel” and “Allroad” bikes actually are faster than their racing bike cousins."
Old 08-30-16, 12:55 AM
Alohacore

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
First time post.....showing off my 2015 Crosstrail Comp.....in all her glory!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_0965.jpg (90.6 KB, 408 views)
Old 09-12-16, 07:21 PM
Bill1227

Liked 18 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by ColonelSanders
Wow, what a shake up of the Crosstrail range.

Whilst I appreciate Specialized being the first of the big manufacturers to offer a carbon frame on a mountain bike inspired hybrid, I just don't imagine these are going to sell well.

I lusted after the Crosstrail models with the E5 aluminium frame, but they are not being offered any longer.

Specialized imho would have been better off adding a Giant Toughroad copycat of sorts model, to their existing range.

But hey, who knows, maybe I will be wrong on this and these carbon Crosstrails will do well.
Personally, I can see a carbon frame CT but with a nice rigid carbon fork and a Spram 1 x 11
Old 09-12-16, 07:24 PM
Bill1227

Liked 18 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Alohacore
First time post.....showing off my 2015 Crosstrail Comp.....in all her glory!
Nice picture
Old 10-04-16, 11:46 AM
SmogDec

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi, I've bought a Crosstrail 2016 one month ago and I have actually done 200km with it. I'm really happy for this purchase!! I also upgraded it with 29x2.1 Michelin tires for some gravelly trails. (the rockhopper costs a plus 230€ and I actually think that i've done the right choice)
Old 12-27-16, 06:34 PM
travbikeman

I'm curious if anyone has yet purchased one of the Carbon Crosstrails that are now on sale. I'm curious to hear about them. Thanks!
Old 12-27-16, 07:59 PM
badger1

Originally Posted by travbikeman
I'm curious if anyone has yet purchased one of the Carbon Crosstrails that are now on sale. I'm curious to hear about them. Thanks!
I have not, but I have been thinking about them and have seen one. My LBS won't be stocking 'em, but has brought one in on special order. Fellow usually rides a Di2 Roubaix; bought the Crosstrail Carbon Expert to be his everyday/weekend/MUP bike. He loves the thing, and according to him he's riding it more (hours/distance) than his Roubaix now that he has it. Caveat: he's my age (60+).
It's a really nice frame, and the complete bike is nice 'n light with tons of potential for a little 'upgrading'.
Hmmmmm ....
Old 12-28-16, 08:38 AM
travbikeman

Originally Posted by badger1
I have not, but I have been thinking about them and have seen one. My LBS won't be stocking 'em, but has brought one in on special order. Fellow usually rides a Di2 Roubaix; bought the Crosstrail Carbon Expert to be his everyday/weekend/MUP bike. He loves the thing, and according to him he's riding it more (hours/distance) than his Roubaix now that he has it. Caveat: he's my age (60+).
It's a really nice frame, and the complete bike is nice 'n light with tons of potential for a little 'upgrading'.
Hmmmmm ....
Yea, I've been pondering about it as well about potential bike upgrades from my current Crosstrail for the coming year. My LBS also won't stock them. I was told that he didn't want to stock anymore Crosstrails since he was selling far more Giant Roam's.

I may need to pay another Specialized LBS a visit instead.
Old 12-28-16, 10:47 AM
badger1

Originally Posted by travbikeman
Yea, I've been pondering about it as well about potential bike upgrades from my current Crosstrail for the coming year. My LBS also won't stock them. I was told that he didn't want to stock anymore Crosstrails since he was selling far more Giant Roam's.

I may need to pay another Specialized LBS a visit instead.
Heh; my LBS is also a Spec/Giant dealer and has the same problem. They stock the Crosstrail Elite (aluminum) down, but not the higher-end ones. The problem, at least in Canada, is that Giant is simply far better priced. For example, if the geometry works for one (it doesn't for me), the '17 Roam 0 is simply a better-equipped/lighter bike than the '17 Crosstrail Elite (aluminum) for the same or less money. Note I didn't say 'better bike' (it isn't) -- just more bang for the worthless Canadian buck!

The other factor: the notion of a 'high end' cross-terrain bike, and especially a carbon one, has to this point had limited appeal in North America, unlike in Europe (excluding the UK). Never understood why; these bikes make so much sense for so many non-competitive cyclists -- witness my acquaintance from the LBS.

Last edited by badger1; 12-28-16 at 11:06 AM.
Old 01-12-17, 09:59 PM
mach250

Bikes: 17' Specialized Crosstrail Sport - 17' Specialized Jett Sport 29"

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hello, decided on a 2017 Crosstrail Sport as my first bike in over 15 years. Like the look of matte paint on bikes so I couldn't pass up the orange scheme. Sad part is I'm stuck in my house recovering from a surgery so my brand new bike is just sitting in the garage.

Old 01-13-17, 09:20 AM
travbikeman

Originally Posted by mach250
Hello, decided on a 2017 Crosstrail Sport as my first bike in over 15 years. Like the look of matte paint on bikes so I couldn't pass up the orange scheme. Sad part is I'm stuck in my house recovering from a surgery so my brand new bike is just sitting in the garage.

Nice! I'm interested in hearing how you like the fork when you do ride. It has the new kind of lockout technology and would like to hear from the owners. My LBS is now refusing to stock anymore Crosstrails. Special order only.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.