Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Utility Cycling
Reload this Page >

What Utility Rides/Trips/hauls/errands did you do today???

Search
Notices
Utility Cycling Want to haul groceries, beer, maybe even your kids? You don't have to live car free to put your bike to use as a workhorse. Here's the place to share and learn about the bicycle as a utility vehicle.

What Utility Rides/Trips/hauls/errands did you do today???

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-10, 05:12 AM
qmsdc15
Banned

Bikes: rockhopper, delta V, cannondale H300, Marin Mill Valley

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
I was thinking, while the kickstand is still down, you could swing your leg over the top tube, but I guess the kickstand lifts the bike, making that even more difficult.

I think if you pay attention to what you are doing, you should be OK even with the added weight. I step onto one of my pedals before swinging my other leg over the saddle, which led to my toppling over, never having found balance on the pedal. If you can get astride your bike without using the pedal as a step up, there shouldn't be a problem. If that is too much of a stretch, walking to the curb should work.
Old 03-22-10, 09:47 PM
dzrthauler
I can - therefore, I do..

Bikes: '84 Motocruiser, '10 KHS TR 101

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
It's been awhile since posting, but, since no pics ever get taken of the mundane runs.. what's the point LOL... Today Cyclepup and I did a two-fer. The morning was our grocery run (about 140 lbs. total load wt.), then within an hour of getting home we ran our first bag ($6.00 worth!!) of recycled plastic to the recycler guy - 28 miles total. I added 'roof racks' to the top of the Smartbin to stabilize the cooler and whatever else I may need to strap on... the heat out here gets 'interesting' in the summer, so keeping the lid closed and putting a cooler or 2 on top is a necessity.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Mar22foodrun1.jpg (86.2 KB, 56 views)
File Type: jpg
Mar22recyclerun.jpg (65.6 KB, 50 views)
Old 03-23-10, 06:35 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7348 Post(s)
Liked 2,462 Times in 1,433 Posts
That's quite admirable, dzrthauler! What kinds of roads do you use? Do you get much attention? I'm surprised at how little attention I get when hauling a trailer.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 03-23-10, 11:44 AM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2337 Post(s)
Liked 2,820 Times in 1,540 Posts
Last weekend, Grocery store, library, drug store, hardware store. Even got a non utility exercise ride in on the road bike..

Thought for the day. If we could encourage just one family member, neighbor, etc to use bikes for errands just on saturdays,.....we would be making good start. Of couse my wife is the hardest one to encourage...but I am getting there.

Old 03-23-10, 12:12 PM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Bikes: See my sig...

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 96 Posts
I need to find a centre stand for my extrabike... figure that I had a good 80 pounds under me yesterday as I carted parts down to the shop and am traveling lighter today as I just have a 50 pound bike.

Mind you... the new rear d weighs almost a pound.

I really don't need to haul anything.
Old 03-23-10, 04:32 PM
qmsdc15
Banned

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Some boxes and a portfolio
Old 03-23-10, 06:17 PM
dzrthauler

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by noglider
That's quite admirable, dzrthauler! What kinds of roads do you use? Do you get much attention? I'm surprised at how little attention I get when hauling a trailer.
Hey there Tom!! Our regular round trip (10 mi.) to the PO/recycling guy is on black top and basically secondary roads through housing- so not much of the need for a shoulder; the rest is on a primary highway (CA 138) and main arteries through town. CA 138 has good broad shoulders both ways - 4 lanes- heavy traffic; we only get a bike lane on an artery for about 1 mile.
As far as attention - a lot of looks according to Cyclepup, and a lot of 'nods' at stop lights and the proverbial 'nice' honk-honk on 138(even a wave from traffic heading the other way sometimes!)
All in all, the locals on the PO run are getting more and more used to seeing us with the trailer- the run into town is expanding and will be more and more frequent I venture. The county has a big bike
lane proposal out - Cyclepup and I are going to a meeting this Thursday night (25th) they are having out in town. Hopefully it's not just lip-service!!
Old 03-23-10, 07:02 PM
dzrthauler

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
QMSDC... What is that?? A Gypsy encampment? LOL!! Again, love the pics of your world man, seriously!!
Old 03-23-10, 08:21 PM
qmsdc15
Banned

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Moroccans. I don't know I just stopped to take a picture of my bike. I think the building in the background was the Iranian Embassy. Mo' rockin' from today. The front man is a former messenger.

Mo' pictures of bikes in DC here, https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...street-traffic
Old 03-24-10, 11:05 AM
BossCat
Trailer Nut

Bikes: Viking Urban Trail. Schwinn Spoiler

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Qmsdc15,

To tell the truth I've stopped looking at pictures of your bike n' trailer, I now just look at all the interesting and crazy s**t thats going on in the background. Keep up the good work
Old 03-24-10, 01:25 PM
qmsdc15
Banned

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Thanks. I notice a lot of interesting stuff I might not otherwise pay much mind to as I ride around with an eye for background. Haha.

Here's one I posted in the Hybrid forum a few week ago that you might like.

"Er, General Washington, do you suppose you could stand in front of my bicycle for a quick second?"

The only load I photographed today was garbage hauled from the front of the mansion to the public road nearest our estate. Sorry, not much of a background, for security reasons, I'm sure you'll understand.

George Washington never had to haul his own garbage.
Old 03-24-10, 01:34 PM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Bikes: See my sig...

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 96 Posts
Originally Posted by Sixty Fiver
I need to find a centre stand for my extrabike... figure that I had a good 80 pounds under me yesterday as I carted parts down to the shop and am traveling lighter today as I just have a 50 pound bike.
ccp from Monday...

Old 03-24-10, 02:28 PM
Dan Burkhart 

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 658 Times in 371 Posts
Costco run today.

Came close to, ah, you know, like missoverestimating my trailer capacity while I was filling the cart with 217 bucks worth of goodies.
The bread balanced on top ok, but I'm thinkin' I should get a cargo net for over the top.
Maybe I should just put all my other projects aside for a while and get the side loaders built for the Big Dummy. Then capacity will not be a problem when coupled with the trailer, waddaya think?
Old 03-24-10, 04:17 PM
BossCat
Trailer Nut

Bikes: Viking Urban Trail. Schwinn Spoiler

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Qmsdc15,

Yep, thats a nice one of Washington, but I think he's been out done by the peek a boo Abe in the background
Old 03-24-10, 08:09 PM
qmsdc15
Banned

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Haha, good eye! I was afraid I might have to explain to you who George Washington was. "To us what Mel Gibson is to you Scots" or something like that probably the best I could do.
Old 03-24-10, 09:30 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7348 Post(s)
Liked 2,462 Times in 1,433 Posts
When I did loaded touring, I found it very interesting that carrying a dozen eggs was easier than carrying a loaf of bread without crushing the bread. Egg cartons and egg shells are well designed.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 03-25-10, 06:12 PM
nwmtnbkr

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
This is part of the route I take when on a shopping run; shot this on Tuesday. Pardon the camera shake--I'm playing the deshaker plug-in for virtual dub and various camera mounts for my regular camcorder to see if I can use it on the bike rather than buying one of the specialized "sports video cameras." I've modified the camera mount used to shoot this video but haven't had a chance to test it again due to weather. (Do any of you have the go pro or contour? If so, is there minimal camera shake when the camera is mounted to the bike?)

Old 03-25-10, 06:17 PM
cyclezealot

Bikes: Klein QP, Fuji touring, Surly Cross Check, BCH City bike

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1485 Post(s)
Liked 73 Times in 64 Posts
Only 14 miles. Just for a newspaper, Milk and french bread.

^ Since January 1, 2012
Old 03-25-10, 06:40 PM
nwmtnbkr

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by cyclezealot
Only 14 miles. Just for a newspaper, Milk and french bread.
What, no coffee? Gourmet coffee is my treat to myself. I love the smell of freshly ground coffee (and the taste even better).
Old 03-25-10, 08:05 PM
qmsdc15
Banned

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Sweet video, MTBer!
Old 03-25-10, 08:07 PM
Dan Burkhart 

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 658 Times in 371 Posts
Originally Posted by nwmtnbkr
What, no coffee? Gourmet coffee is my treat to myself. I love the smell of freshly ground coffee (and the taste even better).
Sign behind the counter in a truck stop long ago.
"If our coffe tastes like mud, it's because it was fresh ground this morning."
Old 03-27-10, 01:02 PM
Gareth

Bikes: 2006 Falcon Explorer Hybrid, 2008 Landrover Visalia Crossover, 2010 Cargo Cycles Senton, 2010 Cargo Cycles Capability, and a 2001 AVD quad pedi-van, 1980 Peugeot Carbolite 10sp racer

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 7 Posts
Setting out on a 2mile trip out with my trailer today, with my no longer required excess stuff for the charity shops: a little over 58 kg on the trailer, and about 42 kg spread throughout the four pannier bags on my Bicycle. The load for the return journey home was a load of about 30 kg of general shopping and groceries.

Old 03-28-10, 06:24 AM
rtciv

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Gareth
Spencer st?

I've been up to where your units are a few times recently, on other business, and I noticed your signs in the window. How's it all going so far?
Old 03-28-10, 07:00 AM
Gareth

Bikes: 2006 Falcon Explorer Hybrid, 2008 Landrover Visalia Crossover, 2010 Cargo Cycles Senton, 2010 Cargo Cycles Capability, and a 2001 AVD quad pedi-van, 1980 Peugeot Carbolite 10sp racer

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by rtciv
Spencer st?

I've been up to where your units are a few times recently, on other business, and I noticed your signs in the window. How's it all going so far?
Spencer Street, Yes: right out side our front door just before I set off yesterday morning. Things with Cargo Cycles are plodding along on schedule nicely thank you. We have the majority of the tooling in place now, and the steel to make the welding and assembly benches, saw stand, grinder stand, etc arrives on Tuesday morning. Production of the Husky Dog racing rigs begins on the 6th of April, with the Cargo Bikes 3 or 4 weeks later. Cargo Cycles ltd is now the proud sponsor of the Norwich Music House: The music House.

Now one for you to reply to: Bethel Street? I parked my Bike and trailer on the cycle stands there yesterday lunch time and went for a coffee in the cafe.

Last edited by Gareth; 03-28-10 at 07:40 AM.
Old 03-28-10, 10:30 AM
nwmtnbkr

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Gareth
Setting out on a 2mile trip out with my trailer today, with my no longer required excess stuff for the charity shops: a little over 58 kg on the trailer, and about 42 kg spread throughout the four pannier bags on my Bicycle. The load for the return journey home was a load of about 30 kg of general shopping and groceries.

[IMG]https://i105.photobucket.com/albums/m230/Gareth_Lewis/Bicycles%20and%20bits/Garethtempf
ile252.jpg[/IMG]
Very nice trailer and bike. Those who don't ride bikes just don't understand what workhorses they can be.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.