Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Today I (v2):

Old 02-12-19, 11:06 PM
mouse
dumb

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by bonsai171
I bet that frame will ride real nice! Check out the rake on that fork! Going to paint it?

Dave
I think so too, especially with some big ol’ fat gum walls on it! I’m amazed at how light it is. I’ve always liked Schwinn’s but I’ve always thought they were all heavy beasts... this one has changed my mind. I’m also pretty stoked that although building up your Schwinn didn’t work out, the plan didn’t change much, just the model frame. The fork is one of my favorite things about this bike! As much as I like raw finishes, this one will get some color. I can’t decide but I’m kind of feeling a gold fade / splatter into semi polished steel. Tomorrow is payday so I’m gonna ride my happy ass to the LBS to score some odds and ends to get this build goin. I’m particularly excited for the white industries freewheel I’ve had my eye on, but never had a SS project to justify it. Hopefully they’ll give me a proper discount on top of the employee they slip me for being a weekly customer. That freewheel has been sitting in the back for a WHILE . I’ll also have to re educate myself on brakes. I’m playing with the idea of internally routing the cables... at least the rear. I need to look more into grommets and how modern bikes are doing this. There’s supposed to be some rain coming later this week so hopefully I can pull some magic and get this thing riding by then!

Today I sanded and polished a set of Omniuns to a dull finish and started stripping chrome off a steel quill stem in prep for engraving. But I’m now thinking I should use the SRAM s300 cranks I have sitting for this bike. It has 130bcd but that’s kind of a blessing... smaller chainrings for a gravel / mtb ss. Less value if stolen... This will still be the “beater” but I can’t help myself when it comes to fine details. Hopefully I can fake some wear and tear so that it’s inconspicuous to common thiefs who don’t know what they’re looking at.

Last edited by mouse; 02-13-19 at 01:07 AM.
Old 02-13-19, 08:16 AM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 2505 Post(s)
Liked 2,960 Times in 1,571 Posts
Thanks @veganbikes. I'm pretty happy with it. That makes 1st/5th/2nd in my last three races so if I can keep this fitness up and continue racing I should finally be able to upgrade.

Jazz is a diverse genre and I've never been a huge fan of big band myself, although it can be enjoyable at times. My fav. format is piano/bass/drums trio.
Old 02-13-19, 05:52 PM
bonsai171

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 749 Post(s)
Liked 90 Times in 70 Posts
Originally Posted by mouse

I think so too, especially with some big ol’ fat gum walls on it! I’m amazed at how light it is. I’ve always liked Schwinn’s but I’ve always thought they were all heavy beasts... this one has changed my mind. I’m also pretty stoked that although building up your Schwinn didn’t work out, the plan didn’t change much, just the model frame. The fork is one of my favorite things about this bike! As much as I like raw finishes, this one will get some color. I can’t decide but I’m kind of feeling a gold fade / splatter into semi polished steel. Tomorrow is payday so I’m gonna ride my happy ass to the LBS to score some odds and ends to get this build goin. I’m particularly excited for the white industries freewheel I’ve had my eye on, but never had a SS project to justify it. Hopefully they’ll give me a proper discount on top of the employee they slip me for being a weekly customer. That freewheel has been sitting in the back for a WHILE . I’ll also have to re educate myself on brakes. I’m playing with the idea of internally routing the cables... at least the rear. I need to look more into grommets and how modern bikes are doing this. There’s supposed to be some rain coming later this week so hopefully I can pull some magic and get this thing riding by then!

Today I sanded and polished a set of Omniuns to a dull finish and started stripping chrome off a steel quill stem in prep for engraving. But I’m now thinking I should use the SRAM s300 cranks I have sitting for this bike. It has 130bcd but that’s kind of a blessing... smaller chainrings for a gravel / mtb ss. Less value if stolen... This will still be the “beater” but I can’t help myself when it comes to fine details. Hopefully I can fake some wear and tear so that it’s inconspicuous to common thiefs who don’t know what they’re looking at.
Sounds like fun! Will this be a road Singlespeed, or more like a gravel bike? If you're going 130 bcd all city has some really nice cnc ones.

Dave
Old 02-13-19, 09:26 PM
mouse
dumb

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by bonsai171
Sounds like fun! Will this be a road Singlespeed, or more like a gravel bike? If you're going 130 bcd all city has some really nice cnc ones.

Dave
I want to build it as more of a gravel bike, but will probly see more road than trails. Since it started life as a MTB, seems appropriate.
Old 02-13-19, 09:47 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4253 Post(s)
Liked 3,866 Times in 2,579 Posts
Originally Posted by TMonk
Thanks @veganbikes. I'm pretty happy with it. That makes 1st/5th/2nd in my last three races so if I can keep this fitness up and continue racing I should finally be able to upgrade.

Jazz is a diverse genre and I've never been a huge fan of big band myself, although it can be enjoyable at times. My fav. format is piano/bass/drums trio.

Yeah you should be upgrading in no time. Numbers like that are pretty damn good and pretty damn good is not too bad!

Yeah same here I love a good trio or a quartet or quintet. You don't always need a ton of musicians to make a big sound. For me with big band at least older recordings is sound quality because it can be hard to hear certain instruments well or certain instruments where not featured because of the recording at the time. Then again I love old blues recordings of the various blind, big or little folks and the various Johnsons (amongst others) but those were much simpler usually a voice and guitar.
Old 02-14-19, 08:28 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Today my daughter was offered entry into UC Berkeley Graduate School of Physics.

"I'm out of my league" were her first words after she stopped crying.

Looks like I'll be visiting Cali again.

-Tim-
Old 02-14-19, 10:58 PM
mouse
dumb

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by TimothyH
Today my daughter was offered entry into UC Berkeley Graduate School of Physics.

"I'm out of my league" were her first words after she stopped crying.

Looks like I'll be visiting Cali again.

-Tim-
Congrats Tim! Such an exciting time in a young persons life... and probably terrifying for a parent
Old 02-14-19, 11:11 PM
mouse
dumb

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
De-laced and repacked the hubs for my next build. Got my spoke length measurements, and cleaned the rims I’ll be using. They’re black anodize and I can’t decide if I want to strip them to bare aluminum or leave them be. Being an older frame with threaded fork and some older components, I’m kind of leaning towards stripping.
Was swamped with actual customer jobs today, so I haven’t had a chance to go pick up goodies. Tomorrow I’ll go grab: Spokes, nipples, rim tape, tires, and freewheel. I’ve got some leads on a nifty stem and seatpost combo that will be pretty unique.
The rain hit today at around 5pm and isn’t supposed to let up until late morning tomorrow. It’s making for some wet rides that I was hoping to get through on new build... but oh well. Also put in for winter Elk hunt, so hopefully I get drawn and get the opportunity to put some tasty lean meat in the freezer at the end of the year!
Old 02-17-19, 11:03 AM
seau grateau

Bikes: Litespeed Catalyst, IRO Rob Roy, All City Big Block

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1332 Post(s)
Liked 398 Times in 194 Posts
Lately I've been really wanting a Big Block...thinking about putting my TK2 frame up for sale to help pay for one.
Old 02-18-19, 12:35 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

I did some bike racing this weekend. Long version here if you're interested.

Victorville RR 2/16/19, Category: 3, 1st/13 starters

cold and windy

Victorville Crit, 2/17/2019, Category: Master’s 30+ 3 and 4 combined, 1st/19 starters, 5+ Cat 3’s

also cold and windy
Old 02-18-19, 02:56 PM
seau grateau

Bikes: Litespeed Catalyst, IRO Rob Roy, All City Big Block

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1332 Post(s)
Liked 398 Times in 194 Posts
@TMonk niccce
Old 02-18-19, 07:59 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

thanks seau! I'm feeling really great on the bike right now.
Old 02-19-19, 12:09 AM
mouse
dumb

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
thanks seau! I'm feeling really great on the bike right now.
Nice job man! You’re probly the gnarliest rider I know.
Old 02-19-19, 12:18 AM
mouse
dumb

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Laced and trued a wheel set out of spokes, rims and hubs I had laying around. 700c instead of the stock
26”... cuz why not? Still plenty of changes before final assembly, but I couldn’t help myself. The stem is too long, and I’m not digging the handle bars like I thought I would... but that’s okay, the LOOK stem I have coming will fix that, and like most of us... I have plenty of bar options to swap out. I wanted some gum walls, but these WTB Nano’s were half price... so that’s what it got! It was another wet one here in the old Pueblo... so even though I don’t have any brakes on this yet, I rode it home on the empty late night streets at a slow pace. Damn is it comfy!! Gonna shop for brakes tomorrow and then it’s on!!! I forgot how care free a single speed can be. It’s been over a decade since I’ve ridden a freewheel!

Last edited by mouse; 02-19-19 at 01:50 AM.
Old 02-19-19, 10:36 AM
Broctoon
Super-duper Genius

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 768 Post(s)
Liked 983 Times in 508 Posts
Nice job man! You’re probly the gnarliest rider I know.
TMonk is easily the tuffest guy I know on a bike, and also a super nice guy all around.

Also, Mouse, that's a pretty cool beater you've got.

Edit... I just thought about this and remembered I know one guy who is a tougher cyclist than TMonk. Sorry, Monk, but I have to be honest. Second place really aint bad.

Last edited by Broctoon; 02-19-19 at 10:41 AM.
Old 02-19-19, 12:58 PM
PeopleAreIdiots

Bikes: Disc Brake Wabi Special, GT Pulse, Fuji Track Beater

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 20 Posts
I’m not digging the handle bars like I thought I would...
Townie bars!!!

Im really diggin that paint too.
Old 02-19-19, 08:54 PM
bmwjoe

Bikes: Pinarello FP Due, Cesare track bike modified for the street.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 25 Posts
I got a note from my lawyer that the lady that hit me this summer insurance company is paying me 5x what I had asked for!

Ouch

Ouch, Ouch.

A good bike lawyer on Philadelphia is Joe Piscatello,
joe@piscitellolaw.com

Ride safe,

Joe

Last edited by bmwjoe; 02-19-19 at 08:57 PM. Reason: Forgot the lawyer's name
Old 02-21-19, 12:27 AM
mouse
dumb

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Today I addressed some clearance issues with the 700x40’s I’m running on what’s supposed to be 26” Schwinn High Sierra frame. After doing that I got the chain to a more acceptable tension and threw on a new set of Ritchey risers. I started to install my front brake but quickly ran into clearance issues with that. I tried to modify the caliper I had but it just wasn’t gonna happen. I’m going to hit the LBS tomorrow before I go into the shop and see if they have something like a Tektro R559 caliper which should make life a whole lot easier. I have levers and cables ready to go, just gotta figure out the caliper dilemma. Hasn’t stopped me from riding it to and from work like a brakeless idiot though! Not to worry, I’m going at a very slow pace and doing the Fred flinstone stop with plenty of room to be safe. One way or another I’ll have brakes tomorrow. Good thing too... were supposed to get SNOW! Happens every couple years and it’s pretty cool to see in the desert.

Before leaving the shop I engraved the Omniums with some “Cholo” lettering.
Still need to be polished and sealed. The engraving will get some gold paint inlay. Threw the original badge back on the neck tube as well.
Still waiting on my new to me vtg stem and seatpost to really be content with this beater build.

I took a different route home and stopped at the super market to get some groceries for the
rest of the week. I had to be a little selective but I managed to fit it all into my new Chrome Hondo bag.
I’m really loving that thing! One of my most favorite recent purchases.

On a side note / more of a question. What do you guys who have single speeds ‘lube’ your freewheel with? I originally packed it with some Phil wood grease but upon rotating the cranks it felt too thick. I cleaned the bearings of most of it and it seemed to free it up some. I’m thinking some lighter weight white grease or?? This freewheel will likely get replaced for a much more decent one in the future, but will be good to know.

Last edited by mouse; 02-21-19 at 09:07 AM.
Old 02-21-19, 08:45 AM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Very nice engraving work @mouse.

Also it's looking like a fun bike, ready for some "urban assault". Maybe put a rack on it???
Old 02-21-19, 09:03 AM
mouse
dumb

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Very nice engraving work @mouse.

Also it's looking like a fun bike, ready for some "urban assault". Maybe put a rack on it???
Thanks amigo! Oh yeh, It’s definately getting a rack! I’ve been looking at different designs and once I have everything “dialed in” my plan is to fab up a front rack
Old 02-21-19, 09:09 AM
50voltphantom

Bikes: Handsome Fredward, Trek 1.1

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 481 Post(s)
Liked 131 Times in 47 Posts
On a side note / more of a question. What do you guys who have single speeds ‘lube’ your freewheeled with? I originally packed it with some Phil wood grease but upon rotating the cranks it felt too thick. I cleaned the bearings of most of it and it seemed to free it up some. I’m thinking some lighter weight white grease or?? This freewheel will likely get replaced for a much more decent one in the future, but will be good to know.
I asked White Industries about this and they recommended Tri-Flow or Phil's Tenacious Oil. This strikes me as odd as my understanding is that the Phil oil (I've never tried it) is much more viscous than Tri-Flow, and I'm not convinced they use either of those products when they assemble them at the factory (near as I can tell they use a very light coat of White Lightning Crystal grease, but I haven't confirmed this). Personally, I use a only few drops of Tri-Flow in my WI freewheels and they seems to work fine. Any other non-sealed/serviceable freewheels get drowned in Tri-Flow but a heavier oil might be better.

Freewheels are interesting to me in that when they are moving, there's no load, and static when under load.
Old 02-21-19, 09:14 AM
mouse
dumb

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 50voltphantom
I asked White Industries about this and they recommended Tri-Flow or Phil's Tenacious Oil. This strikes me as odd as my understanding is that the Phil oil (I've never tried it) is much more viscous than Tri-Flow, and I'm not convinced they use either of those products when they assemble them at the factory (near as I can tell they use a very light coat of White Lightning Crystal grease, but I haven't confirmed this). Personally, I use a only few drops of Tri-Flow in my WI freewheels and they seems to work fine. Any other non-sealed/serviceable freewheels get drowned in Tri-Flow but a heavier oil might be better.

Freewheels are interesting to me in that when they are moving, there's no load, and static when under load.
Thanks for that info sir! I’m gonna clean it up and hit it with some tri-flow today.
Old 02-21-19, 11:28 AM
phobus

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 31 Posts
It reminds me of the klunker bikes from before mountain bikes were "mountain bikes". Are you going to take it off-road once it's done? It looks like fun.

Did that frame have cantilever bosses?
Old 02-21-19, 01:46 PM
mouse
dumb

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by phobus
It reminds me of the klunker bikes from before mountain bikes were "mountain bikes". Are you going to take it off-road once it's done? It looks like fun.

Did that frame have cantilever bosses?
Oh yeh! I definately want to do some trail riding with it! I believe it did, the original owner is a good friend of mine, and fellow machinist. He shaved and filled any bosses / guides. Kind of a bummer, but he did a good job, and gave me this frame for free when he decided to build a stump jumper instead.
Old 02-22-19, 11:33 AM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Off today (rest/easy week), MTB tomorrow, 2 crits on Sunday, back training again next week. I took Wednesday off next week so I could put in a big one, looking for 100-120 miles w a few climbs.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.