Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Making the 3Rensho I can't afford

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Making the 3Rensho I can't afford

Old 12-23-19, 03:23 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3638 Post(s)
Liked 5,316 Times in 2,701 Posts
I think you did a nice job and it's certainly an attractive bike. On the other hand, count me among the group that thinks it's weirdly bogus to fake a collector bike (or watch, or handbag....) I think it would be awkward having to explain each time someone compliments it, as I'm sure they will. IMO a better solution would be to substitute something like "CentuRensho" in the same lettering style.
Old 12-23-19, 03:33 PM
Kuromori

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 237 Post(s)
Liked 83 Times in 64 Posts
This could have been avoided if you started with a Konno Specialized Allez
Likes For Kuromori:
Old 12-23-19, 03:37 PM
cdaniels

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked 127 Times in 53 Posts
Originally Posted by shelbyfv
I think you did a nice job and it's certainly an attractive bike. On the other hand, count me among the group that thinks it's weirdly bogus to fake a collector bike (or watch, or handbag....) I think it would be awkward having to explain each time someone compliments it, as I'm sure they will. IMO a better solution would be to substitute something like "CentuRensho" in the same lettering style.
I can understand and appreciate that point. And thank you for the complement. To me I like to ride my bikes. Collector bikes seem to be stashed away where no can see them and they don't get much use. And if something happens to this one,,,, stolen, wrecked or whatever it was an inexpensive bike that can easily be replaced. I will have very little into this as compared to $2000.00 or more for the real one.
Old 12-23-19, 04:23 PM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3192 Post(s)
Liked 2,460 Times in 1,489 Posts
At least you saved me and others a ton of cash. No need to search for a grail bike when you can build it on your own.
Likes For seypat:
Old 12-23-19, 05:59 PM
Cyclist3098765
Banned.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 17 Posts
Why have you always wanted a 3Rensho? Was it the geometry, the tubing, the craftsmanship?
I think you did a good job with the paint and decals, and I don't want to sound harsh, but I just don't see the point of it all - it's still a Centurion.
At least if you swap the slant 6 in your Dodge Dart for a Hemi it will go faster.
Old 12-23-19, 06:24 PM
iab

Mentioned: 200 Post(s)
Quoted: 2992 Post(s)
Liked 3,707 Times in 1,393 Posts
My question, how big is the fake bike market? I get it with cars, 5, 6 or 7 figures will motivate crime. Bikes though? How much time and expense is put in for a few hundred bucks?

Recently had a discussion about a potentially repainted and rebadged bike. Quite frankly, I came to the conclusion that if it were a fake, the job was done so long ago and so well, I think it would sell for the same amount, under the real or fake name.
Likes For iab:
Old 12-23-19, 06:31 PM
bulgie 
blahblahblah chrome moly

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 1162 Post(s)
Liked 2,542 Times in 1,065 Posts
We built up a circa '98 Litespeed for Laurie, which she loves but the graphics were ugly.
Found this Uranus head badge, and some Rollfast downtube decals. I don't worry that someone is going to think it's a Uranus, or a Rollfast.

What wasn't done yet when this pic was taken, the pièce de résistance: Remove the ugly titanium tubing sticker at the top of the seat tube, and replace with this:

At least that decal is technically accurate.
Likes For bulgie:
Old 12-23-19, 08:47 PM
cdaniels

Originally Posted by Jp42
Why have you always wanted a 3Rensho? Was it the geometry, the tubing, the craftsmanship?
I think you did a good job with the paint and decals, and I don't want to sound harsh, but I just don't see the point of it all - it's still a Centurion.
At least if you swap the slant 6 in your Dodge Dart for a Hemi it will go faster.
No particular reason just a bike from childhood memories. I have never seen one in person I just like them. Yes it is still a Centurion but they ride very well for what they are, very under rated bikes in my opinion.

Won't the stickers make it go faster?
Old 12-23-19, 09:02 PM
xiaoman1 

Bikes: A few too many

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1359 Post(s)
Liked 2,173 Times in 1,178 Posts
Originally Posted by merziac
You may regret this.

It does look nice....though!

Last edited by xiaoman1; 12-23-19 at 09:05 PM.
Likes For xiaoman1:
Old 12-23-19, 09:25 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4493 Post(s)
Liked 6,299 Times in 3,633 Posts
Originally Posted by xiaoman1

It does look nice....though!
Absolutely, looks fabulous!
Old 12-23-19, 09:39 PM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Bikes: https://www.theheadbadge.com

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 2401 Post(s)
Liked 4,350 Times in 2,075 Posts

-Kurt

Likes For cudak888:
Old 12-23-19, 09:54 PM
smontanaro 

Bikes: many

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 1434 Post(s)
Liked 1,363 Times in 747 Posts
I believe bibliobob has (or had) a Counterfente. Is that it or are they multiplying?
Old 12-23-19, 10:02 PM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Bikes: https://www.theheadbadge.com

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 2401 Post(s)
Liked 4,350 Times in 2,075 Posts
Nope, just Photoshopped it onto my Schwinn Superior, 5 minutes ago

-Kurt

Old 12-23-19, 10:21 PM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1073 Post(s)
Liked 999 Times in 710 Posts
Nice job. I had a Parkpre team road bike that was a custom build from 3Rensho. Don't remember all the details but Parkpre only made MTB frames so they hired out for a short lived road team. What I really liked most was the paint job, which looked the same as the red/yellow/blue pre-Trek Lemonds but was Blue/yellow/red. Gave it to a friend who still has it and rides occasionally. While the bike was nice, I don't know that it was really nicer riding then an equivalent Centurion and you made yours looks nice, I like it.
Old 12-23-19, 11:44 PM
TenGrainBread 

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 1136 Post(s)
Liked 649 Times in 336 Posts
Originally Posted by cdaniels
Specialized put their name on Rensho frames to make the original Allez. Bianchi sold bikes made by someone in Japan. Giant built frames for many other companies. Many bicycle companies have some or all their frames made by other companies and put their name on them. Essentially what I did only on a very large scale. Even Chevrolet puts their name on foreign cars to market here in the USA.
That's not really the same. Specialized contracted with Konno to build a batch of bikes for them. That's not like what you did at all. A more apt analogy would be if Specialized took a bunch of Taiwanese-made Allez frames and painted them as 3renshos with 3rensho decals without permission from Konno. That's what you did. Obviously you can do whatever you want considering your fake isn't a money-making scheme, but I wouldn't compare faking a branded bike with paying a contractor to make a product.

​​​​​​If you want to do the small-scale equivalent to the contract manufacturing examples you mentioned, you would pay 3rensho to make a bike with your name on it. That's what Specialized did. Not much relation to what you actually did.
​​
Old 12-24-19, 12:13 AM
Manny66 

Bikes: 1973 Colnago Super, Litespeed Classic , Automoto , Pinarello Gavia TSX,Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra,Eddy Merckx EMX-5 , 1982 Moser SL, Concorde TSX, Vitus 979 KAS. Diamant SLX,60's Meteor

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked 925 Times in 319 Posts
I dont see the harm,, the BB is clearly marked and the O.P. stated he built it for himself and doesnt have any intention of selling it to fraud someone. People need to lighten up a little bit.

BTW, I have a pristine Rolls Royce FOR SALE..... Cheap
Old 12-24-19, 12:41 AM
desconhecido 

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 403 Post(s)
Liked 144 Times in 107 Posts
Originally Posted by cudak888
Looks like the resident Spanish Inquisitors can put the pitchforks away now, seeing as the frame is carrying a permanent disclaimer.

I do find it fairly amusing that most upper mid-range Japanese/Taiwanese frames from the 1980's are built so nicely and consistently that they can pull off the look of a handbuilt grail bike from 10 feet away.

You can't do that with a 1970's Raleigh

-Kurt
I'm going to get a Raleigh Sports and paint it to look like a Centurion.
Likes For desconhecido:
Old 12-24-19, 03:32 AM
cdaniels

Well I did ask for people to let me know what they thought about this bike. I knew there would be negative comments. I believe the positive has outweigh the negative. I think some of you are pretty upset about this and I find that interesting because if I had redone this back to original I think the same people would have probably said something like,,"Why did you do that its just a cheap worthless frame" "Why didn't you invest in a real bike" "Why are you wasting your time". I did not set out to upset or aggravate anyone. And I'm not looking to argue with anyone. I don't see why I have to justify my actions either. Yes it's a Centurion. Yes I painted it to look like something it's not. But I made the effort to put replica on it. I have not passed it off as real.

Isn't this hobby supposed to be fun? Yes everyone has a right to there opinion but I'm having fun with what I have and that's what it is supposed to be about.
Likes For cdaniels:
Old 12-24-19, 06:19 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3638 Post(s)
Liked 5,316 Times in 2,701 Posts
The question of why folks buy counterfeit goods is interesting. Aside from the obvious "can't afford the real thing" as here, there are several other reasons. Here's a quick summary but lots more available if you Google.https://www.open.edu/openlearn/socie...terfeit-brands
Old 12-24-19, 07:31 AM
TenGrainBread 

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 1136 Post(s)
Liked 649 Times in 336 Posts
Originally Posted by cdaniels
I think some of you are pretty upset about this and I find that interesting because if I had redone this back to original I think the same people would have probably said something like,,"Why did you do that its just a cheap worthless frame" "Why didn't you invest in a real bike" "Why are you wasting your time".
On the contrary I don't think I've ever heard anybody talk like that about a Centurion on this forum. In fact, the brand has a dedicated following here. The forum is very welcoming of all brands and models, even low end ones.

Ultimately, I think your critics would be satisfied if you made it more obvious that it was a replica, via a decal more visible than the BB stamping. It would be quite easy to overlook the BB as an uninformed seller or buyer. Not so much a downtube decal. It's obviously up to you how far you want to go in making sure someone doesn't get ripped off in the future. If it were me I'd take further steps than just a BB stamp, but it's your bike

If you're satisfied with your choices, no need to accuse the forum members of being snobs. You do you, as they say.
Old 12-24-19, 07:36 AM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2429 Post(s)
Liked 2,888 Times in 1,646 Posts
There's a bass player's forum where people boast of having turned a Squier electric bass into a Fender bass by replacing the headstock decal and maybe changing a few other details, followed by negative comments, followed by hot denials that they'd ever sell the bass at all, or at least without disclosing that it's a counterfeit and making the buyer swear not to sell it as a Fender.

On the same forum, some of the commonest threads are titled, e.g., "Is this a real Fender?," "Is this a real Rickenbacker?," etc.
Old 12-24-19, 08:04 AM
San Rensho 

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 383 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 91 Posts
Originally Posted by smontanaro
Looks nice enough to me (looking at small pix on my phone). Will it be obvious to the untrained eye that it's a faux Rensho? My concern wouldn't be misrepresentation by you, but by whoever winds up owning it sometime after you.
For those who know, you can see a mile away its not a San Rensho. The seat stays on the genuine item say "3Rensho".

1980 3Rensho-- 1975 Raleigh Sprite 3spd
1990s Raleigh M20 MTB--2007 Windsor Hour (track)
1988 Ducati 750 F1
Likes For San Rensho:
Old 12-24-19, 08:05 AM
seypat

On the contrary I don't think I've ever heard anybody talk like that about a Centurion on this forum. In fact, the brand has a dedicated following here. The forum is very welcoming of all brands and models, even low end ones.
+1. Some might think defacing a sleeper like an Elite RS is a bad thing.
Centurion Elite RS/Super

Some might even have a certain Centurion model as their grail bike. The 85-86 Prestige is one of those. I've never seen an 86. I've never even seen a picture of one, either. Maybe there's some out there. People are looking hard and leaving no stone unturned.
Centurion Prestige

Last edited by seypat; 12-24-19 at 08:34 AM.
Old 12-24-19, 08:05 AM
Olefeller77 

Bikes: Trek Marlin 6 29r - Scattanti road bike w carbon fork - Trek 6500 - Univega Alpina 503 - Specialized Sworks M4 made in USA

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Liked 103 Times in 57 Posts
Great job on the paint job. It sure has a nice look. This sharing of your re-done bike has left me with some doubt if the Trek 6500 that I paid $75 for at a local yard sale for is real. Did the seller repaint and add the scraps and dings? Were the old knobby tiers artificially ground down to represent wear? (ROLF) Wishing all a Merry Christmas.
Likes For Olefeller77:
Old 12-24-19, 08:09 AM
seypat

I think the proper decals should have been: C DANIELS and RENSHOW.
That would bring attention to the glorious paint job and nothing else.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.