Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Life, the Universe and Everything

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-20, 09:51 AM
berner

Bikes: Specialized Secteur, old Peugeot

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 663 Post(s)
Liked 496 Times in 299 Posts

The older I get, the more I seem to enjoy and await the arrival of warm weather. This past week has seen some beautiful Spring days of puffy white clouds, warm sunny days a joy to be out on JRA. Yesterday on the part of the ride through Colt State Park, the shrubbery, all of it, was in full bloom which in the middle of a gloomy pandemic was a welcome sight. The main thing about this park, it is directly next to Narragansett Bay with a wide walkway by the water and fine views to the West. In Summer, it is a good place to engage in the serious business of flying a kite.

A bit further north, one town further up the bike path, an osprey family I always look for that lives in a tree on an island in the middle of Brickyard Pond, has again taken up residence. I'm always happy to see them and especially like to see them hover over the water as they draw a bead on some doomed fish.

Back at the town beach, next to Colt Park, I stopped to admire the view across the bay with my shirt and shoes off in the warm sun. In these difficult times it is important to take the time to notice the little things such as the sweet young things whose micro bikinis don't have enough fabric to make a lamp shade.
Old 05-31-20, 10:59 AM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,280 Times in 740 Posts
So long and thanks for all the fish.
Likes For bruce19:
Old 05-31-20, 03:38 PM
Barry2 
LR÷P=HR

Bikes: 1981 Holdsworth Special, 1993 C-dale MT3000 & 1996 F700CAD3, 2018 Cervelo R3 & 2022 R5, JustGo Runt, Ridley Oval, Kickr Bike 8-)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 862 Post(s)
Liked 1,195 Times in 687 Posts
Likes For Barry2:
Old 05-31-20, 05:22 PM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1066 Post(s)
Liked 780 Times in 502 Posts
Life -- began NOT OF MY CHOICE

the Universe -- one pretty big place with a bunch of empty space

and Everything -- YUP, it is what it is until I kick the bucket
Likes For OldTryGuy:
Old 05-31-20, 09:42 PM
jleeg

Bikes: Moseman with Campy NR circa 1979, Merlin Titanium from1993 with newly installed Campy Chorus 12, Raleigh Tamland II gravel grinder, Tommassini XFire with Campy Record

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 38 Posts
Lucky you to have a place with such scenes. I rode through some the loveliest farmland and hills in a remote section of central PA yesterday. How can you beat riding in such places.
Best
Old 05-31-20, 10:11 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4792 Post(s)
Liked 3,918 Times in 2,548 Posts
I did a business-like ride on my hardest fix gear today in the Willamette Valley. Mixed, almost all cloudy sky, some dark but dry. Light wind. Didn't focus on the scenery but still, western Oregon spring, the smell, the green. Now, the super clean air and far less human noise. Funny that riding a modern bike on pavement in technical clothes, cycling shoes and helmet can be almost primordial.
Old 06-01-20, 07:19 AM
berner

Originally Posted by jleeg
Lucky you to have a place with such scenes. I rode through some the loveliest farmland and hills in a remote section of central PA yesterday. How can you beat riding in such places.
Best
Yep. I grew up in a mostly agricultural community of upstate NY and worked on a farm during high school years. I love the countryside. I even like stone walls as many here do. Where there are no stone walls, people put some up.
Old 06-01-20, 08:29 AM
HeyItsSara
Meet me at spin class!!!!

Bikes: Precor recumbant indoor bike, Stages bike at Equinox gym

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 53 Posts
I forget where I heard this bit about aging - that men develop an interest in the Civil War, or some such. But yes, weather is a big discussion as we get older!!!
Likes For HeyItsSara:
Old 06-01-20, 08:55 AM
bruce19

Originally Posted by berner
Yep. I grew up in a mostly agricultural community of upstate NY and worked on a farm during high school years. I love the countryside. I even like stone walls as many here do. Where there are no stone walls, people put some up.
I spent some time up in Cobleskill in my youth. My dad moved there from NJ. Between the ages of 12-15 I spent some time with friends who owned a dairy in Preston Hollow.
Old 06-01-20, 11:37 AM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked 941 Times in 504 Posts
Sounds like fun! Can you tell us more about the lamp shades you are working on?
Likes For AlmostTrick:
Old 06-01-20, 03:12 PM
philbob57

Bikes: frankenbike based on MKM frame

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 715 Post(s)
Liked 611 Times in 376 Posts
Have you ridden the Mt. Hope Bridge on a sunny Summer day? It's one of the few scenes I can consciously bring up from my memory.
Old 06-01-20, 05:33 PM
Champlaincycler

Bikes: 2018 Diverge Comp, 2016 Specialized SL4 Comp,

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 56 Times in 42 Posts
Originally Posted by HeyItsSara
I forget where I heard this bit about aging - that men develop an interest in the Civil War, or some such. But yes, weather is a big discussion as we get older!!!
Too funny, but true. Civil war, WW2, old sailing novels etc. I think it's about investigating how we got to where we are and giving understanding to injustices that remain, at least for me. Hard to believe that so many of the issues that tore us apart for most of American History are still sowing division. If you seek to understand, then you'll read up on history and the old have a gift of time to do so.
Old 06-02-20, 06:01 AM
bruce19

Originally Posted by Champlaincycler
Too funny, but true. Civil war, WW2, old sailing novels etc. I think it's about investigating how we got to where we are and giving understanding to injustices that remain, at least for me. Hard to believe that so many of the issues that tore us apart for most of American History are still sowing division. If you seek to understand, then you'll read up on history and the old have a gift of time to do so.
What I find interesting is that the issues that tore us apart (Civil War) were over 100 years ago. So, I'm thinking it's not exactly those issues for most folks. It's some sort of narrative that's been kept alive by generations.
Old 06-02-20, 06:45 AM
berner

Originally Posted by philbob57
Have you ridden the Mt. Hope Bridge on a sunny Summer day? It's one of the few scenes I can consciously bring up from my memory.
I love the view from that bridge as you can see water everywhere you look and there is even a light house. But I won't ride a bike across it, though I've seen others do it. There is no shoulder so too easy for a distracted driver to mow you down. I do like riding the area west of the Sakonett River as far as Dartmouth. After driving over the Mt. Hope Bridge I park at a commuter lot just before Rt 24 and the new bridge over the Sakonett does have protected bike lane.

Last edited by berner; 06-02-20 at 03:51 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 06-02-20, 07:03 AM
berner

Originally Posted by Champlaincycler
I've become much more interested in history as I've gotten older. Someone (Henry Ford?) once said "history is bunk". This is true only because no one pays attention to the lessons that can be drawn from history. Except for the Founding Fathers who were educated and well versed in those lessons which they applied in writing the Constitution. I'm just now reading a biography of Ben Franklin and becoming aware of how much I missed in the first reading and how hard the struggle was and it is not over.
Old 06-02-20, 08:42 AM
philbob57

Bikes: frankenbike based on MKM frame

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 715 Post(s)
Liked 611 Times in 376 Posts
As a kid, we used the Mt. Hope Bridge to get to Middletown, where my grandfather had a summer house. Stopping in the middle of that bridge was #1 on my bucket list - first to go on the list. I left RI in 1966. Maybe 20 years later I took my bike on a visit East and rode from East Providence to Newport. The bridge was the scariest place I've ever ridden. The 'road' was concrete slabs that had stood up to wind and rain and alt air since the bridge was built; it was too rough for me to ride on my 120 PSI tires. The sidewalk, too, was made of disintegrating concrete slabs with what seemed like at least 3" between them, with nothing below them except the bay. I screwed up what courage I had and bounced along the sidewalk.

What a view, though! I've seen SF Bay from various viewpoints, and it definitely qualifies as 'beautiful,' but Mt. Hope Bay from the bridge qualifies, too.

I guess if you're driving, it a lot less hair-raising to park and walk. I recommend doing so
Old 06-02-20, 03:59 PM
berner

One complaint I have as well as many others who have to cross that bridge is that they are constantly working on it with traffic down to one lane. Maybe it is a jobs project or maybe the bridge is in poor shape after years of the highway department spreading salt on the roadway. At least the roadway is now in good condition.
Old 06-04-20, 03:48 PM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
Sounds like a post from 50+ the way that it used to be. I notice that you got a pretty good bunch of "likes".
Old 06-11-20, 05:25 PM
peterws

Bikes: Carrera Virtuoso and friend

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 38 Posts
Originally Posted by berner
The older I get, the more I seem to enjoy and await the arrival of warm weather. This past week has seen some beautiful Spring days of puffy white clouds, warm sunny days a joy to be out on JRA. Yesterday on the part of the ride through Colt State Park, the shrubbery, all of it, was in full bloom which in the middle of a gloomy pandemic was a welcome sight. The main thing about this park, it is directly next to Narragansett Bay with a wide walkway by the water and fine views to the West. In Summer, it is a good place to engage in the serious business of flying a kite.

A bit further north, one town further up the bike path, an osprey family I always look for that lives in a tree on an island in the middle of Brickyard Pond, has again taken up residence. I'm always happy to see them and especially like to see them hover over the water as they draw a bead on some doomed fish.

Back at the town beach, next to Colt Park, I stopped to admire the view across the bay with my shirt and shoes off in the warm sun. In these difficult times it is important to take the time to notice the little things such as the sweet young things whose micro bikinis don't have enough fabric to make a lamp shade.
One night contemplate all sorts of things perhaps, in times past, and conjecture the future. Things that go round, come round, and we never ever learn from history. But when you get to a certain age, say, 72, you do look back and wonder why. you look at our politicians, the legal system, etc, and wonder how so many can earn so much under false pretenses and still have their heads on their shoulders . . .Shrug
Finished my coffee. Time for zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz . . .
Old 06-11-20, 09:02 PM
gios

Bikes: 2021 Litespeed T5 105, 1990 Gios Compact Pro 105

Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 182 Posts
A towel, [The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy] says, is about the most massively useful thing an interstellar hitchhiker can have.
Old 06-12-20, 09:43 AM
berner

[QUOTE=peterws;21528874]One night contemplate all sorts of things perhaps, in times past, and conjecture the future. Things that go round, come round, and we never ever learn from history. But when you get to a certain age, say, 72, you do look back and wonder why. you look at our politicians, the legal system, etc, and wonder how so many can earn so much under false pretenses and still have their heads on their shoulders . . .Shrug
Finished my coffee. Time for zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz . . .[/QUOTE

I'm just now about 2/3 of the way through a re-reading of a Ben Franklin biography. The British of that day were incapable of understanding the complaints of American colonists and would not even hear petitions. The relationship began to sour as early as 1755 and went steadily down hill for the next 20 or more years. This situation is analogous to our current situation with race that has been going on for generations with no resolution.

Last edited by berner; 06-13-20 at 09:32 AM. Reason: corrected date
Likes For berner:
Old 06-12-20, 10:01 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Q: Where is your Towel?
Old 06-13-20, 09:32 AM
berner

I'm big on bandanas myself.
Old 06-18-20, 11:06 AM
BEC111

Bikes: Specialized Turbo Vado SL

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 15 Posts
My towel is in my Giegerrig pack. With my panic button.
Old 06-18-20, 11:52 AM
peterws

Bikes: Carrera Virtuoso and friend

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 38 Posts
[QUOTE=berner;21529942]
Originally Posted by peterws
One night contemplate all sorts of things perhaps, in times past, and conjecture the future. Things that go round, come round, and we never ever learn from history. But when you get to a certain age, say, 72, you do look back and wonder why. you look at our politicians, the legal system, etc, and wonder how so many can earn so much under false pretenses and still have their heads on their shoulders . . .Shrug
Finished my coffee. Time for zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz . . .[/QUOTE

I'm just now about 2/3 of the way through a re-reading of a Ben Franklin biography. The British of that day were incapable of understanding the complaints of American colonists and would not even hear petitions. The relationship began to sour as early as 1755 and went steadily down hill for the next 20 or more years. This situation is analogous to our current situation with race that has been going on for generations with no resolution.
The British are famous for it. They never listened to their own troops' or officers' complaints either. Nor would they natter to the Germans (both world wars could've been shortened dramatically) or the IRA for that matter. Until they had to.
There's more of course. Always is. And we might see just who owns the Old Money in Blighty, Could be some red faces! . . . .
Such interesting days!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.