Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Road shoes, big difference between EU 40 and EU 41

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-20, 03:05 AM
MadDog1999

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm sorry if this has been posted a lot but I can't find a clear answer on which shoe I should choose. After trying 5 different pairs the closest I've gotten to fitting is a giro shoe. I measured my foot to be 25cm and added 5mm to it to give a little bit of room for toes which gave me the size 40 on the size chart. I'm not sure how tight they are supposed to be or how "snug" is supposed to feel. I feel likey toes are pretty close to the top as they feel right enough up there but I can also move my big toe without feeling it rub. My heel doesn't slip also. But I got size 41 for comparison and when walking the heel slips and unless I really ratchet it down close to the max it can go I can slightly move my heel by moving the shoe with my hand.

I was wearing a shoe too big before these as these will only be my second pair so I'm not sure how they're supposed to fit. I know they're supposed to be snug but how's snug supposed to feel? My ball of my foot with the 40s seems to line up perfectly with the cleat attachment screw holes.

Thanks in advance
Old 05-31-20, 05:50 AM
Racing Dan

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1335 Post(s)
Liked 318 Times in 216 Posts
Shoe and clothing sizing is a BIG confusing mess. Sometimes 25cm is EU size 39 and sometimes its 40, depending on whatever chart you happen to come across.

If available you should look for a chart made by the manufacturer you intend to get, and then take care to figure out what sizes (mens, womens, kids, UK, US, EU, blah, blah blah, ... ) is referenced on the store you intend to buy from. It's often not clearly labeled leading to lots of confusion and expense returning the goods.

That said, if your foot IS 25 cm heel to big toe, id say EU 41 is too big. You are likely to fit a EU 39 or 40, unless your particular manufacturer run exceptionally small.
Old 05-31-20, 07:43 AM
MadDog1999

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Racing Dan
Shoe and clothing sizing is a BIG confusing mess. Sometimes 25cm is EU size 39 and sometimes its 40, depending on whatever chart you happen to come across.

If available you should look for a chart made by the manufacturer you intend to get, and then take care to figure out what sizes (mens, womens, kids, UK, US, EU, blah, blah blah, ... ) is referenced on the store you intend to buy from. It's often not clearly labeled leading to lots of confusion and expense returning the goods.

That said, if your foot IS 25 cm heel to big toe, id say EU 41 is too big. You are likely to fit a EU 39 or 40, unless your particular manufacturer run exceptionally small.
Thanks for the reply, the 40s fit but I'm not sure if they're too tight or just right
Old 05-31-20, 07:46 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Do they do a 40.5?
Old 05-31-20, 07:50 AM
MadDog1999

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
Do they do a 40.5?
Unfortunately not. I'd like to have to only return 1 pair if I can get away with it. Already had to return 5 different pairs.
Old 06-01-20, 08:43 AM
HeyItsSara
Meet me at spin class!!!!

Bikes: Precor recumbant indoor bike, Stages bike at Equinox gym

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 53 Posts
I also have that. Sometimes it's 39.5, sometimes 40. I've gotten 40.5 to wear with inserts before. But 41 is enormous!!
Old 06-01-20, 08:44 AM
Racing Dan

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1335 Post(s)
Liked 318 Times in 216 Posts
Originally Posted by MadDog1999
Unfortunately not. I'd like to have to only return 1 pair if I can get away with it. Already had to return 5 different pairs.
No one but you can tell if they are too snug. They may be the right length, but have the wrong width or shape. Then you need an other model, not another size.
Old 06-01-20, 10:51 AM
joeruge

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 41 Posts
All over the place!

Unfortunately, knowing your shoe size is not going to be a sure bet in getting the correct size shoes. It seems that different manufacturers measure shoe sizes slightly differently. I was wearing a 45 in a Giro Privateer, but wanted a 'scouch' more room. I wound up with a 44.5 Fi'zi:k which gave me the extra room I wanted, but in a smaller 'size!'

When I was searching for a new pair of shoes I found one retailer that had a cross reference table for shoe sizing. It was very helpful in zeroing in on the correct size, but it still wasn't a guarantee.
Old 06-01-20, 11:57 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6193 Post(s)
Liked 4,808 Times in 3,316 Posts
Are they all the same shoe mfr? Different brands of shoes use different lasts (forms) to build their shoes on. There is no standard last sizing for any. So all will fit differently.

If you have to get shoes online, that just sucks if you don't know your size in that brand.
Old 06-01-20, 01:29 PM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
Since you're not walking, the shoes can & should fit snug.

Different thicknesses of socks can fine tune.

Giro has 1/2 euro sizes, at least for higher end shoes, and a generous return policy.