Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Official Specialized Crosstrail owners thread

Search
Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Official Specialized Crosstrail owners thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-20, 03:20 AM
ad_182_uk

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Oh yes certainly not straight straight, i do have a bit of a bend.

the gp3 look nice - can the stock grips be rotated round at all?

the spacers on the handle bars... do all crosstrails come with just the 2 spacer rings as standard?
Old 05-05-20, 08:50 AM
travbikeman

Bikes: State 4130 Custom, Giant Trance 29

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 422 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 123 Posts
Originally Posted by ad_182_uk
Oh yes certainly not straight straight, i do have a bit of a bend.

the gp3 look nice - can the stock grips be rotated round at all?

the spacers on the handle bars... do all crosstrails come with just the 2 spacer rings as standard?
IF I remember correctly, the stock grips did have a screw that holds them on. So yes, you can angle them. My Crosstrail did only come with 2 spacers and don't think you will be able to add anymore to it. I ended up getting a new stem with a higher angle to it allowing a more upright position. I don't see what I had bought many years ago, but it is similar to this: https://www.amazon.com/FOMTOR-Bicycl...689475&sr=8-24
Old 05-05-20, 09:35 AM
ad_182_uk

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
[QUOTE=travbikeman;21456582]IF I remember correctly, the stock grips did have a screw that holds them on. So yes, you can angle them. My Crosstrail did only come with 2 spacers and don't think you will be able to add anymore to it. I ended up getting a new stem with a higher angle to it allowing [QUOTE=travbikeman;21456582]

any idea why it could not go any higher? Can the bar itself (not the stem) be rotated to add a bit of height? (Would this mean then re-angling all the brake/gear mounts etc?)

yes i have seen the little screws for the grips on the inner side will give them a twist so it more closely matches my forearm direction (at a guess this would reduce my wrists being twisted round, but someone may correct me)

should the exposed parts of the front susp forks be slightly grease or oiled by the way?
Old 05-05-20, 10:21 AM
travbikeman

[QUOTE=ad_182_uk;21456687][QUOTE=travbikeman;21456582]IF I remember correctly, the stock grips did have a screw that holds them on. So yes, you can angle them. My Crosstrail did only come with 2 spacers and don't think you will be able to add anymore to it. I ended up getting a new stem with a higher angle to it allowing
Originally Posted by travbikeman

any idea why it could not go any higher? Can the bar itself (not the stem) be rotated to add a bit of height? (Would this mean then re-angling all the brake/gear mounts etc?)

yes i have seen the little screws for the grips on the inner side will give them a twist so it more closely matches my forearm direction (at a guess this would reduce my wrists being twisted round, but someone may correct me)

should the exposed parts of the front susp forks be slightly grease or oiled by the way?
The Forks steerer tube is only so long and will not allow anymore spacers. You can change a lot of other things like getting a handlebar with a riser if you don't want to upgrade the stem. The original handlebars don't have much of a rise.

I've actually just taken apart my older Suntour NEX fork. Had it for 4 years and put about 3500 miles on it before changing it to a Rockshox Paragon. It still has plenty of grease on it. So I don't think you would need to grease it until it starts getting difficult to use or squeeks and such. But, the exposed parts should be cleaned often to potentially prevent any dirt from going into the fork.
Old 05-06-20, 07:07 AM
DougG
Road Runner

Bikes: 2017 Felt VR5, 2013 Specialized Crosstrail, 2020 Specialized Vado 4.0

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 21 Posts
Originally Posted by ad_182_uk

I only needed an inch or so of added height and installed an adjustable stem that I got from Performance Bike back when they had a local shop here. But be careful about doing something that radically changes the riding position from what the bike was designed for, as changes in geometry and weight distrubution can adversely affect the handling. As an extreme example, I have a friend who, for some unknown reason, bought a drop-bar cyclocross bike and then tried to turn it into a bike that he could sit bolt upright on! In addition to ending up looking very weird, it handled so badly that he fell a couple of times while maneuvering at slow speed, so he got mad about it all and gave up on cycling.

And don't grease the slider legs or they will attract all sorts of grit and dust and then you might have a problem.
Old 05-16-20, 06:45 AM
Mjs16

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Crosstrail Availability

I purchased a Crosstrail a few years ago. I was pretty unfamiliar with bikes as I had never purchased one for myself. My local bike shop recommended it and I bought it knowing very little about it. I am now more into biking and looking to help family members and I can't seem to find the Crosstrail anywhere. It's only listed on Specialized's site in the archive.
Is it still made? I feel like it is the perfect bike for our needs. We live in a very mountain bike focused area but I ride mainly on roads but I do want the option to ride light trails. Are there other similar bikes if I can't find the Crosstrail?
Also, is there a way to find my exact model? None of the Crosstrails in the archive match my color scheme.
Thanks!
Old 05-16-20, 08:34 AM
simonsez

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Mjs16
I purchased a Crosstrail a few years ago. I was pretty unfamiliar with bikes as I had never purchased one for myself. My local bike shop recommended it and I bought it knowing very little about it. I am now more into biking and looking to help family members and I can't seem to find the Crosstrail anywhere. It's only listed on Specialized's site in the archive.
Is it still made? I feel like it is the perfect bike for our needs. We live in a very mountain bike focused area but I ride mainly on roads but I do want the option to ride light trails. Are there other similar bikes if I can't find the Crosstrail?
Also, is there a way to find my exact model? None of the Crosstrails in the archive match my color scheme.
Thanks!
Not sure where you're located but in Canada Specialized still sells the Crosstrail (Model year 2020) however they only have 3 models. I read somewhere that they will be discontinued. (maybe in favour of the Sirrus X?). You can look at the Trek DS and Cannondale CX line as direct alternatives.
Old 05-16-20, 05:46 PM
travbikeman

Seems like the past few years, Specialized has sort of been phasing out the Crosstrail as it seems to being replaced by the electrified versions of it. Used to be 5 or 6 models from the higher E2 aluminum version to carbon Fiber down to the basic A1 aluminum frame. Guessing Specialized is not selling them very well or making enough money off them.

BUT, seems to me that every year during summer time, there is a period that Specialized takes the Crosstrail off their site and updates it in a month or two with their newer models. Just seems as if it's being done earlier than normal this year. Also have noticed 2020 mountain bikes (Rock-hoppers specifically) that are no longer on the site and 2021's are showing up. Wondering if the increase in demand in bikes during the Covid period means the brand is selling out. ???
Old 05-16-20, 05:51 PM
travbikeman

Originally Posted by Mjs16
Thanks!
There are a lot of bikes similar to the Crosstrail: Giant Roam, Trek DS, Scott Sub Cross, Fuji Traverse, Cannondale Quick CX.....etc....etc....

Seems like many bike shops are selling out of bikes due to the virus issues we are having. Curious on what year your Crosstrail is? What color is it and is it 7,8,9 speed drivetrain?
Old 06-05-20, 09:42 AM
metzoid235

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Does anyone know what type of brake pads the 2017 crosstrail takes? I have the TRP "FSC" brakeset and I need some new ones. The front and rear ones are different and not interchangeable.
Old 06-11-20, 10:26 AM
Bob4southern

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by metzoid235
Does anyone know what type of brake pads the 2017 crosstrail takes? I have the TRP "FSC" brakeset and I need some new ones. The front and rear ones are different and not interchangeable.
You may want to email TRP directly...I had the same question but on a different model year than yours and they were responsive and helpful.
YMMV,
Bob
Old 06-15-20, 04:48 PM
metzoid235

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Just sent an email, but they might take days to reply. Does anyone know what "TEKTRO F10XS" brake pads are? They're different to the front brake pads, rectangular but smaller than the shimano ones. I am going nuts looking for a new set of pads here.
Old 06-15-20, 05:01 PM
metzoid235

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
found them, shimano k02s or k04s
Old 06-18-20, 10:49 AM
ted grant

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Carbon Crosstrail

My Crosstrail, Carbon XL, carbon fork, bars, american classic 29er wheelset, 1x drivetrain, 11-46 rear cog, original shifter and hydro brakes, about 21 pounds
Ive owned well over 100 bikes, and this is one I wont sell. I cant even think of a comutter bike I would prefer, The carbon crosstrail is a real sleeper in the specialized lineup. IMO , not worth upgrading the aluminum version
Old 08-17-20, 09:20 AM
DougG
Road Runner

BUT, seems to me that every year during summer time, there is a period that Specialized takes the Crosstrail off their site and updates it in a month or two with their newer models. Just seems as if it's being done earlier than normal this year. Also have noticed 2020 mountain bikes (Rock-hoppers specifically) that are no longer on the site and 2021's are showing up. Wondering if the increase in demand in bikes during the Covid period means the brand is selling out. ???
I hope that's all it is. I'm thinking of replacing my old crosstrail and saw that they had disappeared from the site since my last visit. The problem now is that I started looking around and am getting the hots for a certain Trek DS that I saw...
Old 08-17-20, 10:18 AM
travbikeman

Originally Posted by DougG
I hope that's all it is. I'm thinking of replacing my old crosstrail and saw that they had disappeared from the site since my last visit. The problem now is that I started looking around and am getting the hots for a certain Trek DS that I saw...
Yea, I've checked Specialized European site as well and there is nothing on the Crosstrail. I think this year Specialized is putting money into other bikes that are making them more money.

Oh well, I bought a Scott Sub Cross to replace my Crosstrail, since the Scott was a better fit size wise for me. My son though is quickly outgrowing the Crosstrail and I might be giving him my Scott next year for a possible Canyon Pathlite that I have seen and liked. But, I also just might upgrade my Scott's drivetrain instead....we'll see.

Which Trek Dual Sport did you like? I've noticed the 4 is now a 1 x drivetrain with the recent Deore. That looks cool.
Old 08-17-20, 03:29 PM
DougG
Road Runner

Which Trek Dual Sport did you like? I've noticed the 4 is now a 1 x drivetrain with the recent Deore. That looks cool.
Yes, that's the one. But today I took my CT out for a ride and, looking at it critically, I think it's still in great condition and looks really nice with its white color scheme. Hate to give it up for yet another bike in black...
Likes For DougG:
Old 08-18-20, 03:28 AM
jms123

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi all

Hoping I can get some advice on sizing. I have the chance to buy a second hand Crosstrail Comp disc 2014 and the size is XL. Found some geometry and sizing charts and it suggests that at 6ft I am on the border between Large and X-Large. I am pretty much 6ft spot on with about a 34 cycling inseam.

I appreciate there are other factors such as arm length etc. and it is always best to have a test ride but was just trying to get an idea if an XL is going to be far too big or about right. I am not as young as I used to be but in general I prefer a more sporty geometry rather than a sit up and beg type setup so that may have some influence on it as well.

Any advice would be much appreciated.
Old 08-18-20, 09:42 AM
travbikeman

Originally Posted by jms123
Hi all

Hoping I can get some advice on sizing. I have the chance to buy a second hand Crosstrail Comp disc 2014 and the size is XL. Found some geometry and sizing charts and it suggests that at 6ft I am on the border between Large and X-Large. I am pretty much 6ft spot on with about a 34 cycling inseam.

I appreciate there are other factors such as arm length etc. and it is always best to have a test ride but was just trying to get an idea if an XL is going to be far too big or about right. I am not as young as I used to be but in general I prefer a more sporty geometry rather than a sit up and beg type setup so that may have some influence on it as well.

Any advice would be much appreciated.
XL is too large for a 6' tall with 34 inseam. You want to look at size large. XL and you will really be stretched out, have difficult time getting on and off the bike and in general maybe uncomfortable.

BUT, it's typically good to at least check it out and verify on your own. See if the person selling the bike will let you test just to see if you are the right size for it.
Old 08-18-20, 09:48 AM
jms123

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
[QUOTE=travbikeman;21647420]XL is too large for a 6' tall with 34 inseam. You want to look at size large. XL and you will really be stretched out, have difficult time getting on and off the bike and in general maybe uncomfortable.

Yeah I was thinking that may be the case but was hoping for it not to be. Understand what you say about checking it out but might not be possible at the moment.
Old 08-18-20, 02:19 PM
jms123

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just to come back on this as I am getting more confused by the minute.

I haven't cycled for a while and I used to cycle 26" MTBs where my ideal ETT (Effective Top Tube) was about 610. The ETT on the XL Crosstrail is 615 so not much more but the standover height would be a worry.

Where I am getting really confused is looking at more modern bikes (both 27.5 and 29/700cc) and for a lot them in my recommended size the ETTs are much larger eg. a Carrera subway in my size is 630mm and the Specialized Diverge Evo comp in large (which I assume is my size) is 627mm.

Have geometries changed then to incorporate longer ETTs (and presumably smaller stems) although again the 2014 Crosstrail has an 80mm stem which is quite short.

Not trying to convince myself the XL Crosstrail would work because I suspect it wouldn't but confused as to how many of the more modern bikes seem to have much longer ETTs, the Sirrus being a noticeable exception here, which everything I've read about it seems to suggest is a very upright position, exactly what I don't want.

Again, any insights would be much appreciated as the world of bikes seems to have moved on significantly since I was last cycling.

Last edited by jms123; 08-18-20 at 02:24 PM.
Old 08-18-20, 06:01 PM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1446 Post(s)
Liked 762 Times in 570 Posts
I agree with travbikeman that the XL is probably a bit on the long side in terms of reach, but you also have some adjustment available to you that may get it into a comfortable range. For example, you may be able change the seat post to one with zero setback, if the stock one has some setback to it (which would move your seat forward and reduce the effective reach to your bar. You can also install shorter stems and even zero offset stems to further reduce your effective reach.

We often do recommend lots of riding and try-before-you-buy, but these are indeed strange times and this is often not possible these days. Fortunately, you do have some options to customize the fit.

As a very last resort, the bike is probably a pretty low-risk purchase right now...if you absolutely hate it and don't think you'll get it adjusted correctly, you can probably sell it pretty easily for what you paid for it.

Cheers, and good luck!
Likes For hokiefyd:
Old 08-19-20, 06:08 AM
subgrade

Bikes: Focus Crater Lake

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 391 Post(s)
Liked 337 Times in 204 Posts
Originally Posted by hokiefyd
As a very last resort, the bike is probably a pretty low-risk purchase right now...if you absolutely hate it and don't think you'll get it adjusted correctly, you can probably sell it pretty easily for what you paid for it.
That seems to imply things are going to only get worse.
Old 08-19-20, 06:38 AM
DougG
Road Runner

Just a follow-up to my earlier post about thinking of a new bike and changing my mind after taking a good ride on my trusty Crosstrail: So here is my '13 Crosstrail Comp Disc (first year the CT came out) on its 8th season and after some 1000s of miles:

Old 08-19-20, 07:46 AM
travbikeman

Originally Posted by jms123
Just to come back on this as I am getting more confused by the minute.

I haven't cycled for a while and I used to cycle 26" MTBs where my ideal ETT (Effective Top Tube) was about 610. The ETT on the XL Crosstrail is 615 so not much more but the standover height would be a worry.

Again, any insights would be much appreciated as the world of bikes seems to have moved on significantly since I was last cycling.
To add to Hokieyfyd's comments, I've noticed especially in the entire region I live in, Crosstrails don't stay up for sale for too long. So first, if you want it, you should take a look at it soon and if like it, get it soon. Especially with how quickly bikes are selling new and used right now.

2nd, if the bike ends up being too large that you are not comfortable on it, you should be able to sell it easily.

BUT....and what I'm about to say is MY assumption or thought. Next year or year after, we are most likely going to see a flood of used bikes on the market as people realize that they are not riding the shiny bikes they bought during the pandemic. That could make selling harder, but great for those who want to buy used at good price.

I'm already starting to see this on Facebook and Criagslist, but at moment, people selling bikes are not discounting, but upping the price.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.