Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Did I over buy with a Specialized Roubaix Sport?

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Did I over buy with a Specialized Roubaix Sport?

Old 08-21-19, 04:31 PM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1726 Post(s)
Liked 1,350 Times in 705 Posts
Rubynewbie, my sister in law bought a carbon Synapse 4 years ago from a competitor across town. The bike and all the fixin's pushed her into 3500 bucks or more. She didn't come to me (I work part time at a Cdale dealer) because she knows I would have put her in a less expensive bike. The bike she bought sat for 2 years, and then she started riding it with my daughter. Doesn't even have 1000 miles on it yet! She let herself be sold "The best", which is her M.O. to begin with. Foolishness as she never rode a bike outside of the one she had as a kid.
Her husband, not to be outdone, bought a titanium Salsa at the cost of 3800 bucks with the fixin's. Rode it once, and has not ridden it since. One more thing, after 40 years of marriage, they got a divorce last week.

Very happy you got the Quick, and made yourself more comfortable and your husband a little less stressed.
Old 08-24-19, 07:10 PM
Trav1s
Deraill this!

Bikes: 18 Cdale Quick 1, 94 S-Works M2, 98 730 Multitrak, and a few others

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked 379 Times in 221 Posts
I saw in your intro thread that you returned the Roubaix for a Quick 1. I wanted to invite you over to the Hybrid section and let you know that there are a few Quick 1 owners over there. Here is the most recent thread started by the new owner of a 2019:

https://www.bikeforums.net/hybrid-bi...y-arrived.html

I picked up my 2018 Quick 1 used early this summer from a female friend who upgraded to a Roubaix.
Old 08-25-19, 05:47 AM
horatio 
Hump, what hump?

Bikes: See signature

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 337 Post(s)
Liked 227 Times in 145 Posts
Originally Posted by Trav1s
I saw in your intro thread that you returned the Roubaix for a Quick 1. I wanted to invite you over to the Hybrid section and let you know that there are a few Quick 1 owners over there. Here is the most recent thread started by the new owner of a 2019:

I picked up my 2018 Quick 1 used early this summer from a female friend who upgraded to a Roubaix.
Is that ironic?
2010 AB T1X ** 2010 Cannondale SIX-5 ** 1993 Cannondale RS900 ** 1988 Bottecchia Team Record ** 1989 Bianchi Brava ** 1988 Nishiki Olympic ** 1987 Centurion Ironman Expert(2) ** 1985 DeRosa Professional SLX ** 1982 Colnago Super ** 1982 Basso Gap ** 198? Ciocc Competition SL ** 19?? Roberts Audax ** 198? Brian Rourke ** 1982 Mercian Olympic ** 1970 Raleigh Professional MK I ** 1952 Raleigh Sports

Old 08-25-19, 07:40 AM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8191 Post(s)
Liked 8,849 Times in 4,396 Posts
Originally Posted by horatio
Is that ironic?
It's a coincidence.
Old 08-25-19, 07:52 AM
horatio 
Hump, what hump?

Bikes: See signature

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 337 Post(s)
Liked 227 Times in 145 Posts
Originally Posted by big john
It's a coincidence.
I'm sure. Just thought it was an interesting juxtaposition of events, you know.
2010 AB T1X ** 2010 Cannondale SIX-5 ** 1993 Cannondale RS900 ** 1988 Bottecchia Team Record ** 1989 Bianchi Brava ** 1988 Nishiki Olympic ** 1987 Centurion Ironman Expert(2) ** 1985 DeRosa Professional SLX ** 1982 Colnago Super ** 1982 Basso Gap ** 198? Ciocc Competition SL ** 19?? Roberts Audax ** 198? Brian Rourke ** 1982 Mercian Olympic ** 1970 Raleigh Professional MK I ** 1952 Raleigh Sports

Likes For horatio:
Old 08-25-19, 12:20 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8191 Post(s)
Liked 8,849 Times in 4,396 Posts
Originally Posted by horatio
I'm sure. Just thought it was an interesting juxtaposition of events, you know.
For sure.
Old 08-26-19, 05:49 PM
Jumpski

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito CV disk, and rim brake

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 89 Times in 60 Posts
Life is short, so get the bike you want. You purchased a nice bike-congratulations. The bike fits, and it's an investment in your health. Cycling is fun, so smile and enjoy. Ignore the comments here about trading for aluminum, or down grade. The Roubaix is way more comfortable. I had the Roubaix, so you made an excellent choice.
Old 09-03-19, 10:25 AM
teacherlady

Bikes: Enough

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 4 Posts
Keep the bike

First off, bikes are a bit like cars. Once you've rolled it out of the shop, it depreciates a lot. So no, you probably can't return it. Edit: Glad you could return it, but sorry you did.

Second, if it's "your" money, and you can afford it, don't worry about the cost. I'm fat and old and seven years ago I got tired of bikes that didn't fit quite right and bought a custom bike. It felt like a huge splurge, but for the first time in my life I had a bike that was really comfortable, and could ride without pain. (Well, to be honest, after 100 miles, I hurt a little.) That bike changed my life -- no exaggeration! I could ride farther, faster, higher. I didn't lose much weight, but I did lose inches, I got fit, and and I got happier. I put 20,000 miles on that bike in 4 years. I'm not riding it as much anymore only because I got another bike that's better for commuting and touring, so I only ride the first bike for day pleasure rides the last few years.

People in the know about bikes do double takes when they see fat, old, me riding the beautiful orange Waterford. More than one person has implied that it's too much bike for me. F*** 'em. They don't know. It's exactly the right bike for me.

And to the person who said there's no such thing as "my money" in a marriage, you don't know that! Different couples handle money differently. Part of the reason my relationship has been good for more than 37 years is that neither of us has to justify our spending to the other.

Last edited by teacherlady; 09-03-19 at 11:41 AM.
Old 09-04-19, 12:11 PM
rutan74

Bikes: Felt ZR3, Specialized Sectur

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked 52 Times in 37 Posts
Originally Posted by rubynewbie
Hello everyone. I am a 53 yr old 200# (and dropping 1-2 pounds a week on a diet) 5'3" woman new to cycling. Due to being on a new prescription that carries with it an increased chance of blood clots, heart attack, and stroke (yay) I am following my Dr.'s advice and starting to exercise more. I have been riding my old way-too-large bike but really feeling like I would enjoy the activity more if I had a better bike more suited to road cycling and that actually fit me. So I went to a local bike shop yesterday where I tried some bikes out and came home with a brand new 2019 Specialized Roubaix Sport. My question is, did I over buy? My husband is extremely angry that that I spent $2430 on a bike to get exercise on and also says that the carbon fiber frame is not only an excessive waste of money for my level, but also it won't hold up, especially under my weight. What do you experts say? Did I make a mistake in my purchase? He says I should return it (don't even know if I can) and get something 1/2 the price. I bought it with my own money, not his, he is just angry and thinks I am an idiot for buying such a high end bike. I posted this in the introduction section as well.

You did exactly what I tell first timers not to do. IMO you bought over your head. Now before jumping on me, hear me out a bit.

If you are new to cycling as in "road" cycling, I always tell new riders to buy a bike less than 1000. They are out there and you can get a good bike for less than a thousand. The reason is that you do not want to start riding and then quit and have a 2500 dollar piece of wall art hanging in your garage no less. I've seen many of those wall hangings.

If you spend less than a grand on your first bike you won't feel quite so bad if you stop riding. If you love riding and it really helps your health situation and you keep going, then in a year or two you can then up the ante and buy that 2500 plus bike since you are now a dedicated rider.

The idea here is to ride for better health. I hope you do but I have seen countless people start and then simply quit after a few months when the weather changes or their personal life issues get in the way. Happens all the time. So, if you buy cheaper and stick with it, then upgrade. You will feel that you have earned it!

One of our company riders started on a beach cruiser. Fell in love with the sport and dropped a lot of weight. Following year she bought a real road bike from Giant that was a leftover and spent 1000 on it and it even had a good group set to boot. She earned that new bike and is now a regular rider with our small group.

Now, with all that being said, if you love the bike, then you should keep it. Don't kill yourself over buyers remorse though. If you want to smooth things over a bit with the hubby, take it back and get something cheaper. Doesn't Specialized have a Dolce line that is cheaper? Can't remember. But DO, at all costs, DO get a fit. If you do not, you might have a bunch of issues and that can lead you to dumping the bike which you don't want to do because of pain.

It took me 3 years of riding my beginner bike before I made the jump to 3k on a bike. When I first started I could not fathom spending over 3k on a "bike", but I did since I was riding it a lot. Actually a small price to pay for better health. Enjoy your new bike. Prove your hubby wrong and hit the road. Oh, find some others that ride who are new or belong to the local bike club and get in on some group rides. Riding by yourself gets old real fast and causes many to drop riding. Riding with others helps to motivate you and you will make some new friends along the way. Don't worry that you are new. All of us had to start new once.

john
Old 09-08-19, 09:45 PM
rubynewbie

Bikes: 2019 Trek Domane SL 6 Womens’s and 2018 Cannondale Quick 1

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Trav1s

Nice! What a coincidence!

Originally Posted by Jumpski
Life is short, so get the bike you want. You purchased a nice bike-congratulations. The bike fits, and it's an investment in your health. Cycling is fun, so smile and enjoy. Ignore the comments here about trading for aluminum, or down grade. The Roubaix is way more comfortable. I had the Roubaix, so you made an excellent choice.
I'm not sure if you saw the previous posts, but I returned the Roubaix after one ride. I know everyone says how comfortable it is, but honestly the bike I ended up with is for whatever reason a MUCH smoother and more comfortable ride for me.

Originally Posted by rutan74
You did exactly what I tell first timers not to do. IMO you bought over your head. Now before jumping on me, hear me out a bit.
I returned it and got a great deal on a new last years model for right at $1000. VERY happy with it!

Last edited by rubynewbie; 09-09-19 at 07:51 AM.
Old 09-08-19, 10:18 PM
chuckschreiner

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ruby, your thread may save me $$$$. I was thinking new bike ($3k) but saw this and am at least going to try to fix my old one and make sure I am really going to ride again before plunking down the money. I suspect my old bike will not be fixable to the point I can ride it for 2+ hrs and not be miserable on it but at least this will let
me assess how serious I am.

Happy riding to you on your new bike!
Old 09-09-19, 11:27 AM
rutan74

Bikes: Felt ZR3, Specialized Sectur

Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked 52 Times in 37 Posts
I returned it and got a great deal on a new last years model for right at $1000. VERY happy with it!

Good for you. Not that the Roubaix was not a good bike because it is, but I think in the long run you will feel better about your purchase. As I said, if things change for you and you either have to stop riding or find out it is not up your alley, then you won't feel too bad about what you spent.

But, and this is a big but, don't quite riding! Keep it up. My co-worker who is a woman started out and took to it as she saw the weight come down. Two years into it and she is about to attempt a metric century. So, keep it going if you can. During the winter, find a spin class and go to it. At least you will keep your legs moving and you won't feel too guilty at eating a couple of Christmas cookies.

Main thing is to develop a routine and stick to it. Good Luck.

john