Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals.
Reload this Page >

Any idea what model or year this Bianchi is?

Search
Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-20, 10:46 AM
Cyclehog93

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I found a vintage Bianchi bike for sale locally today for $200. I don’t know what model or year it is and if it’s worth the $200. Any idea? Superset maybe?

Last edited by Cyclehog93; 04-08-20 at 10:50 AM.
Old 04-08-20, 11:49 AM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4510 Post(s)
Liked 6,377 Times in 3,667 Posts
Originally Posted by Cyclehog93
I found a vintage Bianchi bike for sale locally today for $200. I don’t know what model or year it is and if it’s worth the $200. Any idea? Superset maybe?

Might be worth it, TT cable guides are normally upper tier but this looks CX with canti's so not sure.

Stem shifters are whack and likely added so......

Paging Bianchigirll
Old 04-08-20, 11:56 AM
Cyclehog93

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by merziac
Might be worth it, TT cable guides are normally upper tier but this looks CX with canti's so not sure.

Paging Bianchigirll
this would just be to add to my collection but agree. stem shifters would be the first thing to go.
Old 04-08-20, 12:07 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4510 Post(s)
Liked 6,377 Times in 3,667 Posts
this would just be to add to my collection but agree. stem shifters would be the first thing to go.
Well they have their place, Schwinn even put their "Twin Stick" stem shifters on Paramounts and I put them on this for Ms. merziac.

This is a before pic and I may do some on one of my Paramounts at some point just for fun.

Old 04-08-20, 02:23 PM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 3089 Post(s)
Liked 6,588 Times in 3,778 Posts
I don’t know what model or year it is and if it’s worth the $200.
Thread moved from Classic & Vintage to Classic & Vintage Appraisals forum.
Old 04-10-20, 12:10 AM
celesteguy 

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 107 Times in 54 Posts
It looks like a Bianchi Axis circa '89 that someone snatched the bar con shifters off of and replaced with the aforementioned ones. Imho it is worth $200. However: I paid close to $300 which included shipping for one of these in original condition late last year. My impressions upon riding was that it was boat anchor heavy and handled like a truck. In other words it was no fun to ride (for me anyway); no snap or liveliness. I was also surprised to find out that it could only clear 32mm tires and not much wider than that. I tuned it up and sold it locally for what I paid for it, to the 3rd buyer that came to see it after two others who rode it left unimpressed as well. Some bikes got it, and some bikes don't.
Old 04-10-20, 07:49 AM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 192 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2930 Post(s)
Liked 2,923 Times in 1,491 Posts
Originally Posted by merziac

Paging Bianchigirll
I really need to figure out how to get my bike forums to come to my inbox instad of spam

Originally Posted by celesteguy
It looks like a Bianchi Axis circa '89 that someone snatched the bar con shifters off of and replaced with the aforementioned ones. Imho it is worth $200. However: I paid close to $300 which included shipping for one of these in original condition late last year. My impressions upon riding was that it was boat anchor heavy and handled like a truck. In other words it was no fun to ride (for me anyway); no snap or liveliness. I was also surprised to find out that it could only clear 32mm tires and not much wider than that. I tuned it up and sold it locally for what I paid for it, to the 3rd buyer that came to see it after two others who rode it left unimpressed as well. Some bikes got it, and some bikes don't.
We have a winner! I agree while this looks a little unloved $200 isn't bad for a rideable full ChroMoly Bianchi 'Cross bike. BarCons are not that hard to find to get then reinstalled.

The '89 Axis was festooned with DiaCompe 984 Cantilever brakes and Suntour XCD-6000 derailleurs and hubs, along with SR XCT crank.

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 04-10-20, 08:18 AM
ramzilla

Bikes: Vintage Japanese Bicycles, Tange, Ishiwata, Kuwahara

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 700 Post(s)
Liked 322 Times in 252 Posts

That's a sweet little ride. I notice threaded eyelets on back & front dropouts and, cantilever brakes. You could do practically anything you want with it. If it were mine it would be headed for the dreaded conversion to a City bike w/baskets all done in ramzilla's secret laboratory. Be good. Have fun.
Old 04-16-20, 07:39 PM
Bmoreblujay
BmoreBlueJay

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Agree with ramzilla
Old 04-16-20, 08:14 PM
zukahn1 

Bikes: Current 79 Nishiki Custum Sport, Jeunet 620, notable previous bikes P.K. Ripper loop tail, Kawahara Laser Lite, Paramount Track full chrome, Raliegh Internatioanl, Motobecan Super Mirage. 59 Crown royak 3 speed

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked 1,760 Times in 634 Posts
I would agree very nice bike the frame and paint look good so even with the poor setup and lesser components $200-250 in the current soft market.