Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

Pump issues for air fork

Search
Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Pump issues for air fork

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-23, 08:02 AM
staehpj1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1251 Post(s)
Liked 759 Times in 563 Posts
Pump issues for air fork

I have always used a little spin doctor suspension pump for adjusting the pressure in my suntour fork and it has worked fine. I now have a
RockShox Recon RL fork and the spin doctor head doesn't compress the little stem in the valve. So while I can pump air in I can't fine tune the pressure by letting any back out. I am also a bit less than confident that the pressure in the fork is exactly what the pump registers since it has to overcome the valve's resistance. I guess that is minimal though. I thought about using my compressor with my inflater attachment, but none of the chucks fit well in the recess of the fork.

I guess I could use a valve extension or something, but I figure that with the low volume of suspension components as compared to tires any lost air in removing it would be significant.

If there some easy solution I am missing? Do I need a better pump? If so which one is a good choice?
Old 07-20-23, 09:13 AM
eshew

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 30 Posts
You need a better pump. Fine tuning a fork is about finding that sweet spot, sometimes it's only a few psi from terrible.
Old 07-20-23, 09:50 AM
staehpj1

I should add that for my rear shock a 300# rated pump is barely adequate (or maybe not quite) so one that is rated a bit higher is probably prudent. Thoughts on the RockShox High-Pressure Fork/Shock Pump (600 psi Max)? Anything else to recommend? If no one pipes up. I'll just order that one.

Last edited by staehpj1; 07-20-23 at 11:09 AM.
Old 07-21-23, 06:12 AM
staehpj1

I ordered the RockShox High-Pressure Fork/Shock Pump. Hopefully that will be a good choice.
Likes For staehpj1:
Old 07-28-23, 04:46 AM
staehpj1

Just a quick follow up to say that the 600 psi RockShox High-Pressure Fork/Shock Pump arrived and seems to be a high quality pump. It works fine and easily attains the desired pressures on my shock and fork. The only minor issue is that the gauge is kind of small to read. Not bad enough to be a deal breaker though.