Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Tight Hubs = Slow Bike?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Tight Hubs = Slow Bike?

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-07, 09:10 PM
careya123

Bikes: Trek 7500 hybrid (hate it); currently ride my roommate's Trek 4300 mtn bike for commuting; next bike: road bike (for fun)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Tight Hubs = Slow Bike?

After three slow, miserable trips riding to work on my new Trek 7500 hybrid, I was ready to sell it on craigslist and give up commuting forever. Then my roommate told me to check out her Trek mountain bike. It was so fast and easy to ride! So I picked up the back of each bike to spin the back wheels. My back wheel spun sluggishly a few times and stopped. The mountain bike's back wheel spun rapidly for much longer. So I'm guessing my hubs are too tight.

Has anyone else had an experience like this? I obviously know very little about bikes (a few days ago I didn't even know what a hub was), but I didn't have any idea that this could be a problem. I just thought I was incredibly out of shape. So now I'm wondering if I could be right and if so, if other people know about this potential problem. I've since read that many manufacturers overtighten the hubs.
Old 10-10-07, 09:15 PM
MrCjolsen

Bikes: Surly Cross-Check, '85 Giant road bike (unrecogizable fixed-gear conversion

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
A hub adjustment is a fairly minor operation. Sounds like the hubs are too tight. Try loosening the quick release so that it's just barely tight enough. See if the wheel spins freely.

This is not a fix, however, for a tight hub. In fact, a perfectly adjusted hub has just a teensy weensy bit of play that disappears when the quick release is clamped down uber-tight. You have the opposite problem.
Old 10-10-07, 09:23 PM
Air
Destroyer of Wheels

Bikes: Surly LHT, Dahon folding bike. RIP Nishiki Sport, Downtube IXNS, 1950's MMB3 Russian Folding Bike, MTB

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Are you sure the brake pads weren't rubbing?

It's the year of the enema!
Old 10-10-07, 09:34 PM
kill.cactus
500 Watts

Bikes: Trek 7200 FX ('05), Trek 6000 ('07)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You were going to give up after three bad commutes?

Geeze

lol, give it a chance with your fixed-up bike and you'll see how great commuting is!
Old 10-10-07, 10:00 PM
ax0n
Trans-Urban Velocommando

Bikes: 06 Trek 1200 - 98 DB Outlook - 99 DB Sorrento

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
my money would be on the brake pads dragging on the rims like Air said. Those go out of adjustment a lot more often and easier than hubs. The wheel could be out of true or not in the dropouts correctly, or the brakes could just need some adjusting.

I tend to check the easier stuff and more common trouble points first.
Old 10-10-07, 10:11 PM
M_S

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I agree with checking the brakes. Hubs don't really sem to need that much servicing. Brake pads sometimes do.
Old 10-10-07, 10:11 PM
calebg

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Two things:

1) Hubs usually come from the factory too tight.

2) Even a very tight hub shouldn't cause the type of friction you describe. As noted above, check for other rubbing.
Old 10-10-07, 11:00 PM
Bekologist
totally louche

Bikes: the ever shifting stable loaded with comfortable road bikes and city and winter bikes

Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
new bike? bring it back to the shop and tell them to make an adjustment.

tight hubs can and do exhibit that symptom, but I'm putting money on brake rub.
Old 10-10-07, 11:11 PM
ax0n
Trans-Urban Velocommando

Bikes: 06 Trek 1200 - 98 DB Outlook - 99 DB Sorrento

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
yah... regardless of the problem, the bike shop should fix it for free if it's new.
Old 10-10-07, 11:14 PM
careya123

Bikes: Trek 7500 hybrid (hate it); currently ride my roommate's Trek 4300 mtn bike for commuting; next bike: road bike (for fun)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've been riding the bus instead. It was so much easier than that bike. I used my friend's mtn bike today to ride home from work, and it took less than half the time. Wow. Even riding up hills was no big deal.

Hmm, I never looked at the brakes. I'll check it out tomorrow.

I *almost* have the guts to sell my car. I've been using public transportation for the last few months and have saved several hundred on what would have gone to gas. And that's with paying bus fare everyday.
Old 10-11-07, 02:02 AM
dalmore
Neat - w/ ice on the side

Bikes: 2005 Dahon Speed TR, 2006 Dahon Mu SL, 2000 GT XiZang, 1999ish Rock Lobster, 2007 Dean Animas CTI

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It can indeed be hubs that are too tight. Do check the brakes - it's also a likely cause. But don't give up if it's not the brakes. Either way, the bike shop should do the adjustment for you. Make sure you spin the wheel for them and show them that it doesn't spin freely.

Change you can believe in - Bigfoot Nessie 08
Old 10-11-07, 11:36 AM
unixpro
Laid back bent rider

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro 20

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I had exactly the same problem and it was, in fact, that my hubs were too tight. I loosened them up to the point where they'll stay on the bike, but that's about it. Now the wheel spins freely for quite a while, and I have a much better ride.
Old 10-11-07, 12:42 PM
careya123

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Brakes

I briefly checked the brakes this morning. One of the pads is completely flush to the rim. I will take it to the LBS tomorrow and show them.

On a good note, I rode my friend's bike again this morning and it was A.W.E.S.O.M.E.
Old 10-11-07, 12:43 PM
careya123

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
PS - Thanks for all the reponses! It's a huge help to know you're all out there and willing to help.
Old 10-11-07, 12:49 PM
fordfasterr
One speed: FAST !

Bikes: Ebay Bikes... =)

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
give up now, we all need more bicycle-friendly cagers !
Old 10-11-07, 01:27 PM
recursive
Geosynchronous Falconeer

Bikes: 2006 Raleigh Rush Hour, Campy Habanero Team Ti, Soma Double Cross

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Have them show you how to adjust it yourself. It is one of the easiest adjustments you can make on a bike.
Old 10-12-07, 09:30 AM
eubi
No Rocket Surgeon

Bikes: Cannondale D600, Dahon Speed T7

Liked 6 Times in 1 Post
My Dahon has cup and cone bearing retainers front and back. The cones are adjustable on the threaded axle and should be just tight enough to allow a slight amount of play between the wheel and the axle.

They were HORRIBLY overtightened. You could feel the bearings bind when you turned the wheel.

I just backed off on the cones and the wheel was fine.

According to many people that have posted about this problem, it is widespread. Remember, the people that assemble your bike may not be knowledgeable bicycle mechanics.

...and I got the Dahon from a LBS that I thought would know better!
Old 12-10-14, 02:40 PM
purple jelly

Bikes: 2013 Giant Escape 3, 2012 Kestrel Talon Road Ultegra

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a similar issue, I believe my hubs are too tight. When I spin backwards, The wheel starts to spin with it, and it is a really loud hub, although I don't think it should be. I think I may need to lube the pawls. Not sure if these two are related, but I'm gonna find out! Maybe back the cones off a bit too.
Old 12-10-14, 04:18 PM
jputnam

Bikes: Custom 531ST touring, Bilenky Viewpoint, Bianchi Milano, vintage Condor racer

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
If your hubs are tight enough to cause significant drag in real-world use, you'll know from the smoke when the grease catches fire, shortly before the bearings split.

Seriously, bearings that are too tight to spin freely on an unloaded wheel will cause rapid wear, but if they're consuming enough power that you notice the difference in speed, all of that power is going into friction in a very small area.
Old 12-10-14, 04:27 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
In the LBS the Mechanic May have not taken some of the Pre load Out , the hubs were tight as they pass thru the wheel building machine, then to the shipping carton.

My experience is as the one that checks that, as I Prep A New Bike for sale , in the LBS. Did You Know the QR Tightens the Bearings when its Tight?

Maybe you are just slower in reality than you are in your Dreams of Glory

Last edited by fietsbob; 12-10-14 at 04:32 PM.
Old 12-10-14, 08:07 PM
Paramount1973 

Bikes: Schwinn Continental, Schwinn Paramount, Schwinn High Plains, Schwinn World Sport, Trek 420, Trek 930,Trek 660, Novara X-R, Giant Iguana. Fuji Sagres mixte.

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by eubi
My Dahon has cup and cone bearing retainers front and back. The cones are adjustable on the threaded axle and should be just tight enough to allow a slight amount of play between the wheel and the axle.

They were HORRIBLY overtightened. You could feel the bearings bind when you turned the wheel.

I just backed off on the cones and the wheel was fine.

According to many people that have posted about this problem, it is widespread. Remember, the people that assemble your bike may not be knowledgeable bicycle mechanics.

...and I got the Dahon from a LBS that I thought would know better!
There should be no play if the hub is properly adjusted. In fact the bearings should have a small amount of pre-load. Otherwise you are riding on one or two engaged bearings. This will result in faster wear on your cones.
Wheel Bearing adjustment by Jobst Brandt
Old 12-10-14, 09:51 PM
Reynolds 
Passista

Bikes: 1998 Pinarello Asolo, 1992 KHS Montaņa pro, 1980 Raleigh DL-1, IGH Hybrid, IGH Utility

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 868 Post(s)
Liked 721 Times in 396 Posts
Originally Posted by Paramount1973
There should be no play if the hub is properly adjusted. In fact the bearings should have a small amount of pre-load. Otherwise you are riding on one or two engaged bearings. This will result in faster wear on your cones.
Wheel Bearing adjustment by Jobst Brandt
Zombie thread alert!
Interestingly, Sheldon Brown apparently doesn't agree with Jobst Brandt (to which it's linked):
Cone Adjustment

"Once you have seen how the wheel turns with the quick release loose, try tightening the QR, then check again. If your bearing adjustment is correct, the play will disappear, but the wheel will turn as freely as it did when it was too loose."
Old 12-11-14, 02:20 AM
TransitBiker
contiuniously variable

Bikes: 2012 Breezer Uptown Infinity, Fuji Varsity

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Is this problem isolated to quick release hubs? Never once ever had a problem with my lugged axles.....

- Andy
Old 12-11-14, 05:54 AM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18378 Post(s)
Liked 4,512 Times in 3,354 Posts
I frequently run into a dime-store MTB wheels with cones so tight that one sometimes can't turn the axles with one's fingers.

I generally run my cones just slightly tight, but I'm trying to pay more attention to whether the QR causes additional tightening. It seems minimal if the cones and lock nuts are properly tightened.

I'm not sure if bolt-ons would get that extra tightening that the QR supposedly does as they aren't adding compression to the whole axle. However, there is always the risk of the axle spinning slightly when tightening and messing up the adjustment, especially if the cones/lock nuts are loose.
Old 12-11-14, 10:09 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Is this problem isolated to quick release hubs?
Just consider the physics of the 2 , the really basic ..

1) the whole axle is in compression , from skewer thru it.
the other the Axle-nut is pulling the axle against the hub-end-locknut, in tension .

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.