Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Rear White Flashing Lights To Become New Standard In Safety?

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Rear White Flashing Lights To Become New Standard In Safety?

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-14, 07:33 PM
Shimagnolo

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3376 Post(s)
Liked 5,518 Times in 2,860 Posts
Originally Posted by steve0257
What effect would requiring flashing lights have on dynamo lighting? As far as I know, dynamo powered lights don't blink.
All dynamo powered taillights are steady-on taillights. They have no flashing mode, unlike many battery taillights, since flashing taillights are illegal in Germany, where these lights are made.

Source: Bicycle taillights for dynamo
Old 12-10-14, 07:37 PM
dynaryder
DancesWithSUVs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by squirtdad
out of curiosity...where? Sounds like a local regulation.
I've seen them around the DC area,and back home in PA. Apparently,it's for highway and suburban use:
https://answers.yahoo.com/question/i...4154909AAImUAa

C'dale BBU('05 and '09)/Super Six/Hooligan8and 3,Kona Dew Deluxe,Novara Buzz/Safari,Surly Big Dummy,Marin Pt Reyes,Giant Defy 1,Schwinn DBX SuperSport,Dahon Speed Pro TT,Brompton S6L/S2E-X
Old 12-10-14, 08:02 PM
Matariki
Not quite there yet

Bikes: A bunch of old steel bikes + an ICE trike

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by spare_wheel
Except that many cyclists keep their lights on solid.
I have a rack mounted dyno taillight that is continuous. I added a Mars flashing on the seatpost as well as a small flasher on my helmet. I felt that the combo of continuous and flashing as well as the separation marked me well. And then I got really weird. A number of recent cycle related deaths prompted me to "improve" my rear visibility so I added a pair of PB superflashes, one on each side about 6" away from the dyno taillight. I had a friend ride it so I could get a good driver's view and I have to say that I have become seriously worried about the irritation factor (not to mention inducing seizures). It is so obnoxious that I could imagine a driver running me down just to stop the visual insult. Because of this concern, I have been running all but the helmet flasher in continuous mode for the past few weeks. Does this make me less recognizable as a bike? Does that matter if they can see me? Should I tone it down and go back to the original configuration? I have to say that I can't tell yet from motorist behaviour, but since it will be some time before my morning commutes are after sunrise I will have some time to experiment with different patterns.

Oh BTW, Sanyo Eneloop rechargeable batteries are great!
Old 12-11-14, 07:20 AM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 4260 Post(s)
Liked 1,363 Times in 945 Posts
Originally Posted by SBinNYC
There's a reason red is used for rear lights. Seeing a red rear light up ahead does not destroy night vision. Here's a link that describes the phenomenon. Flashlight Reviews and LED Modifications
Maybe not.

Night Vision - The Red Myth

It's the reason that photo dark rooms used a red light. It wasn't that exposed film was immune to red light. It allowed the dimmest light to be used so as not to expose the film.
The chemistry is different, which means this isn't relevant. Anyway, red isn't the only color used in darkrooms.

The other problem is a flashing light. It can trigger epilepsy.

Photosensitive epilepsy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Probably irrelevant unless it was high powered. And a high-powered light would be a problem even when not flashing.

The universal use of flashing lights for emergencies would seem to discount epileptic seizures from being an actual concern.

Flashing lights are banned on PBP.
In Germany (don't know about France), flashing red lights are illegal (because they are reserved for emergency purposes, I believe). The PBP requirement may exist just to be legal. That it's annoying to ride behind flashing lights might be enough of a reason to ban them.

The ACP's rationale was the flashing hypnotizes the riders and makes them less alert.
Citation needed.

The epilepsy angle may be the cause.
Probably not.

Last edited by njkayaker; 12-11-14 at 07:35 AM.
Old 12-11-14, 07:29 AM
njkayaker

Originally Posted by unterhausen
school buses have white flashing lights on the rear when they are being driven at night
They, of course, have the same standard red rear lights everybody else has too.

Originally Posted by dynaryder
I've seen them around the DC area,and back home in PA. Apparently,it's for highway and suburban use:
https://answers.yahoo.com/question/i...4154909AAImUAa
I figured it was the strobe type. It's not clear that that use is relevant to the discussion of use for bicycling (school buses get other legal "special treatment").

Last edited by njkayaker; 12-11-14 at 08:52 AM.
Old 12-11-14, 07:43 AM
njkayaker

Originally Posted by SalsaShark
White lights are meant to universally portray the oncoming side of a vehicle (be it white headlights, or white reverse lights). This seems to add unwarranted confusion to the roadway. What is the problem with red lights in the rear? We are not trying to light up the roadway behind us, are we? I understand the benefits of staying visible on the road at night (and use many lights both red and white myself) but would hesitate going against traditional lighting techniques that are already seared into the brains if the collective motorists.
+1

It's an dumb proposal.

The existing California law just requires a red rear reflector. Many states require a rear red light (flashing is not explicitly allowed or disallowed).

The proposal changes that to a flashing white light OR reflective gear worn.

(2) A red reflector white flashing light on therear that shall be visible from a distance of 500 feet to the rear when directly in front of lawful upper beams of headlamps on a motor vehicle, or, in lieu of the white flashing light, reflective gear worn by the bicyclist.

Last edited by njkayaker; 12-11-14 at 08:07 AM.
Old 12-11-14, 08:06 AM
njkayaker

Originally Posted by Saving Hawaii
[h=2]ear White Flashing Lights To Become New Standard In Safety?[/h]
Betteridge's law of headlines - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Seems reliable in this case.
Old 12-11-14, 08:08 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,699 Times in 2,519 Posts
Originally Posted by njkayaker
I figured it was the stone type. It's not clear that that use is relevant to the discussion of use for bicycling (school buses get other legal "special treatment").
well, this discussion is about a legislator who wants to give cyclists the same special treatment. I don't think it's a good idea, but I suspect he came up with the idea after seeing a school bus. OTOH, it is very effective on school buses, and I don't suffer from any confusion about which way the bus is going. If it was a solid white light, things might be different
Old 12-11-14, 08:30 AM
njkayaker

well, this discussion is about a legislator ...
It's actually about a (dumb) proposal.

...who wants to give cyclists the same special treatment.
That's not true at all. It's no the "same": school buses have other "special treatments" rather specific to school buses.

You have to do more work to make a case that strobes on school buses are relevant to cyclists.

Merely mentioning that they exist isn't really enough. We wouldn't make cyclists use them merely because school buses do.

That's what KD5NRH was getting at here:

Originally Posted by KD5NRH
And I have nipples. Doesn't mean they're good for anything.
I don't think it's a good idea, but I suspect he came up with the idea after seeing a school bus.
That's a guess. The proposal is bizarre enough that I would guess where the idea came from.

OTOH, it is very effective on school buses, and I don't suffer from any confusion about which way the bus is going. If it was a solid white light, things might be different
The bus has the standard red rear lights people expect too. This proposed law isn't doing that.

It doesn't seem that people have any problem at all seeing/noticing school buses without the strobe.

Probably, the purpose of the strobe isn't to make the school bus easier to see. It's probably there to remind you that there might be kids around. (It could be that the strobes aren't used when the buses are not involved in transporting children.)

If strobes are so useful for school buses, why aren't they used on all vehicles?

Last edited by njkayaker; 12-11-14 at 10:47 AM.
Old 12-11-14, 09:04 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,536 Times in 1,045 Posts
Excellent point.
Old 12-11-14, 09:06 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,699 Times in 2,519 Posts
does the link in the OP work for anyone else? I get a page that doesn't display any text of the bill for me
Old 12-11-14, 09:18 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,536 Times in 1,045 Posts
does the link in the OP work for anyone else? I get a page that doesn't display any text of the bill for me
Bobby G provided a working link in msg#6
Bill Text -
Old 12-11-14, 09:47 AM
rekmeyata

Bikes: 2020 Masi Giramondo 700c; 2013 Lynskey Peloton; 1992 Giant Rincon; 1989 Dawes needs parts; 1985 Trek 660; 1985 Fuji Club; 1984 Schwinn Voyager; 1984 Miyata 612; 1977 Raleigh Competition GS

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1126 Post(s)
Liked 253 Times in 204 Posts
school buses have white flashing lights on the rear when they are being driven at night
Those are strobe lights located on the top of a school bus for inclement weather day or night and not suppose to be used on bright sunny days or clear nights...at least here in Indiana that's the way it is.

I disagree with bikes having the clear light, they should require a red light of significant brightness to be seen for a mile; I too think a clear light on the rear would be confusing, bicycles should have the same color lights as any car or motorcycle would have front and rear.
Old 12-11-14, 10:16 AM
KD5NRH

Bikes: 2010 Trek 7100

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 697 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by rekmeyata
Those are strobe lights located on the top of a school bus for inclement weather day or night and not suppose to be used on bright sunny days or clear nights...at least here in Indiana that's the way it is.
This is another important point; with a roof mounted light on a tall vehicle, the closer you get, the less likely you'll have a clear line of sight to the light itself. IOW, you're not looking straight into the bright, glaring strobe from 30 feet away. Mount the same thing on the back of a bicycle and you'll have every overtaking driver trying to blink away the purple spots instead of watching the road and the cyclist. Add in that an obnoxious rear light makes people even more likely to try an unsafe pass to get where they don't have to see that anymore, and you're reducing safety.
Old 12-11-14, 10:46 AM
njkayaker

This is another important point; with a roof mounted light on a tall vehicle, the closer you get, the less likely you'll have a clear line of sight to the light itself.
I was going to point that out.

School buses are very different from bicycles (and many other vehicles).

"School buses do it" isn't any reasonable guide to what bicyclists should do.
Old 12-11-14, 10:50 AM
SBinNYC

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
In Germany (don't know about France), flashing red lights are illegal (because they are reserved for emergency purposes, I believe). The PBP requirement may exist just to be legal. That it's annoying to ride behind flashing lights might be enough of a reason to ban them.

Citation needed.
My source was Robert Lepertel, who was then the PBP's Tour Director. I was an ACP correspondent who ran ACP sanctioned brevets in the days before RUSA. There were a number of PBP rule changes in the early 1990's. The reasons for the rule changes were spelled out in letters to the correspondents.

One cycling book I picked up in France during the mid 1980's contained an extract of France's "Code de la Route." Part of the PBP application was affirmation that I would follow that code. I figured it would be a good idea to find out the implications to what I as signing. I don't recall seeing anything about the rear light being steady.

I don't think the legal angle was behind the ACP's edict. I disobeyed France's code regarding lighting when I participated on PBP. The French code required yellow front lights for cars and bicycles. I used a white front light. It passed the ACP's pre-ride equipment check.
Old 12-11-14, 02:23 PM
njkayaker

I don't think the legal angle was behind the ACP's edict. I disobeyed France's code regarding lighting when I participated on PBP. The French code required yellow front lights for cars and bicycles. I used a white front light. It passed the ACP's pre-ride equipment check.
Whether or not you disobey the law isn't relevant.

Usually (always), edicts an organization issues don't contradict what the law requires. That is, if the law explicitly states "no flashing lights", the organization isn't going to say that it's OK to have flashing lights.

I know about the yellow car lights but it's possible that bicycles don't have that requirement (I don't know). If you can buy white bicyle lights in France, presumably, they are legal to use in France (I've never seen yellow bicycle head lamps).

The most-likely reason for the steady red rear light requirement is that it's very annoying to ride behind flashing lights OR because the (local) law requires it (both don't have to be true).

The "the flashing hypnotizes the riders and makes them less alert" rational might have been offered but it's not established that it's an actual risk (it's seems that is something people just assume is true).

Last edited by njkayaker; 12-11-14 at 02:38 PM.
Old 12-11-14, 02:53 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18378 Post(s)
Liked 4,512 Times in 3,354 Posts
Perhaps California should just start a program where they give away a free white headlight and a red blinking taillight to every school kid that shows up with a bike.

No doubt if they do the cheap silicone lamps, they would cost less than 50 cents each to distribute.
Old 12-11-14, 10:51 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts
Aren't those related to slow/stop and operating day or night?

I've seen new buses with a white strobe on the ROOF.

The more you make traffic marker standards UNstandard, the more you make safety a joke. Suggesting things that fly so badly against norms only confuses drivers that know one thing and aren't to blame if they travel 2000 miles and find it's all goofy.

This doesn't help us at all.
Old 12-15-14, 03:02 PM
KD5NRH

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Rollfast
The more you make traffic marker standards UNstandard, the more you make safety a joke. Suggesting things that fly so badly against norms only confuses drivers that know one thing and aren't to blame if they travel 2000 miles and find it's all goofy.
This is why I have a "when in doubt, use amber" policy for lighting and reflectors on the bike. With the exception of DOT safety vests and similar which are only available in 360 degree white, everything rear facing is red or amber, everything front facing is white or amber.
Old 12-15-14, 04:43 PM
rekmeyata

Bikes: 2020 Masi Giramondo 700c; 2013 Lynskey Peloton; 1992 Giant Rincon; 1989 Dawes needs parts; 1985 Trek 660; 1985 Fuji Club; 1984 Schwinn Voyager; 1984 Miyata 612; 1977 Raleigh Competition GS

This is why I have a "when in doubt, use amber" policy for lighting and reflectors on the bike. With the exception of DOT safety vests and similar which are only available in 360 degree white, everything rear facing is red or amber, everything front facing is white or amber.
It's against the law in the US to for cars or motorcycles to use a constant amber light either front or rear at night, therefore you cannot confuse the motoring public by saying it's ok to put amber lights on bicycles. The only constant amber light you can have is a side marker.
Old 12-16-14, 12:40 AM
jputnam

Bikes: Custom 531ST touring, Bilenky Viewpoint, Bianchi Milano, vintage Condor racer

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by rekmeyata
It's against the law in the US to for cars or motorcycles to use a constant amber light either front or rear at night, therefore you cannot confuse the motoring public by saying it's ok to put amber lights on bicycles. The only constant amber light you can have is a side marker.
Not quite true -- you're right about the back, steady amber is not generally allowed, but steady amber lighting is mandatory on the front of many vehicles, it's the required color for front clearance lamps, front identification lamps, and front side markers, all visible from the front.

Attached Images
File Type: gif
tbm1.gif (42.5 KB, 36 views)
Old 12-16-14, 01:40 AM
kickstart

Bikes: 2005 Gazelle Golfo, 1935 Raleigh Sport, 1970 Robin Hood sport, 1974 Schwinn Continental, 1984 Ross MTB/porteur, 2013 Flying Piegon path racer, 2014 Gazelle Toer Populair T8

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 396 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
This is another important point; with a roof mounted light on a tall vehicle, the closer you get, the less likely you'll have a clear line of sight to the light itself. IOW, you're not looking straight into the bright, glaring strobe from 30 feet away. Mount the same thing on the back of a bicycle and you'll have every overtaking driver trying to blink away the purple spots instead of watching the road and the cyclist. Add in that an obnoxious rear light makes people even more likely to try an unsafe pass to get where they don't have to see that anymore, and you're reducing safety.
I find it annoying that virtually all tail lights are either excessivly bright at night if they are effective in full daylight, or safely effective at night but too dim in full daylight.
A dual intensity tail light light that auto adjusts for day and night would be a great thing.
Old 12-16-14, 09:27 AM
KD5NRH

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by kickstart
I find it annoying that virtually all tail lights are either excessivly bright at night if they are effective in full daylight, or safely effective at night but too dim in full daylight.
A dual intensity tail light light that auto adjusts for day and night would be a great thing.
The only time I see a taillight being much of an issue is if you're stuck behind it for too long. Easy enough to fix for 2-3 riders by having only one super-bright light and a couple of LED cheapies; just make sure the bright one is always in the rear. Besides, most of the really bright ones are only glaring in a fairly narrow cone, so they're good at getting attention at a distance without being too painful close up when your eye level is above that cone.
Old 12-16-14, 04:26 PM
rekmeyata

Originally Posted by jputnam
Not quite true -- you're right about the back, steady amber is not generally allowed, but steady amber lighting is mandatory on the front of many vehicles, it's the required color for front clearance lamps, front identification lamps, and front side markers, all visible from the front.

Lets rephrase that, it is against the law to have amber lights as main lights, they can be side markers, they can be turn signals but they cannot be main lights. It's against the law, though the law never pushes the issue, to run after sunset with just parking lights and no headlights as we see a lot of people doing these days.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.