Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Should permanent running lights for cyclists be mandatory?

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Should permanent running lights for cyclists be mandatory?

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-14, 10:37 AM
KD5NRH

Bikes: 2010 Trek 7100

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 697 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by mconlonx
Lights should not be mandatory (and in fact, mandatory reflectors are ludicrous, too)...
Yeah, we should get rid of them on cars too. Just think of the fuel savings from not lugging around all that weight when a lot of people don't plan to use the car at night.
Old 12-22-14, 11:10 AM
rebel1916

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 83 Times in 44 Posts
The OP is the rarest of American breeds. A portland style "transportation cyclist". He is no doubt delighted at the thought of horrifying all the recreational athlete type cyclists. He has not given thought to the fact that the vast majority of "transportation cyclists" in the US are poverty stricken immigrants, many of questionable legal status. If his pipe dream were to be enacted into law, the primary result would be that the police would use the new law mostly as probably cause to stop these poor disadvantaged individuals.
Old 12-22-14, 11:14 AM
bbbean 

Bikes: Giant Propel, Cannondale SuperX, Univega Alpina Ultima

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 672 Post(s)
Liked 417 Times in 249 Posts
Education, not legislation!

Formerly fastest rider in the grupetto, currently slowest guy in the peloton

Old 12-22-14, 11:28 AM
cruiserhead

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by genec
There are already laws in place for lighting... do we really need more unenforced regulations? How about if motorists just follow the laws set aside for them and don't hit other road users in front of them, and slow down. Oh wait, those laws aren't enforced either...
X10000

"mandatory" is just legislating ourselves into more expense, waste and lawsuits.
Bicycle use is ALREADY clearly defined in every state.
Taking a automotive point of view and forcing it onto bikes is NOT the answer.

Instead of trying to punish cyclists, focus on things to actually make it more popular.
Bike paths, lanes, education and city planning.
Old 12-22-14, 11:44 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,536 Times in 1,045 Posts
Originally Posted by rebel1916
The OP is the rarest of American breeds. A portland style "transportation cyclist". He is no doubt delighted at the thought of horrifying all the recreational athlete type cyclists. He has not given thought to the fact that the vast majority of "transportation cyclists" in the US are poverty stricken immigrants, many of questionable legal status. If his pipe dream were to be enacted into law, the primary result would be that the police would use the new law mostly as probably cause to stop these poor disadvantaged individuals.
A thread on the commuting list https://www.bikeforums.net/commuting/...eople-say.html provides more discussion on the subject of how disconnected some posters are from what reality is for many if not most cyclists who depend on a bicycle for their daily transportation needs.
Old 12-22-14, 12:57 PM
mconlonx

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 7148 Post(s)
Liked 134 Times in 92 Posts
Originally Posted by KD5NRH
Yeah, we should get rid of them on cars too.
...said me never, anywhere.
Old 12-22-14, 02:26 PM
ItsJustMe
Señior Member

Bikes: Windsor Fens, Giant Seek 0 (2014, Alfine 8 + discs)

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 446 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
I think the thing that will most improve cyclist safety is enforcing laws already on the books. Drunk driving, distracted driving, aggressive/fast driving, just plain being a friggin' moron behind the wheel.

Compared to those things, which are already illegal but which are regularly ignored by law enforcement, DRLs would be a trivial improvement.

I guess there's no law that says that laws actually have to be enforced.
Old 12-22-14, 03:26 PM
auldgeunquers

Bikes: various strays, mongrels, and old junk.

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Zorba
Early 80s. My '75 didn't have them, my '80 did.
Here in Ontario any MCycle from 1970 on must run with lights on at all time. At least that was the rule some years ago when I was riding around on a 1970 Jawa 350 California - the charging system was not quite up to it, and I had to charge the battery once a week or so depending on how much I rode. I often wished that bike was just a bit older ...
Old 12-22-14, 03:27 PM
auldgeunquers

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Let's just outlaw stupid instead.

Last edited by auldgeunquers; 12-22-14 at 04:55 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 12-22-14, 03:52 PM
KD5NRH

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by auldgeunquers
Lets just outlaw stupid instead.
It would never pass unless the legislators get an exemption.
Old 12-22-14, 04:54 PM
auldgeunquers

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Should they not excuse themselves from the vote due to conflict of interest?
Old 12-22-14, 06:19 PM
hotbike

Bikes: a lowrider BMX, a mountain bike, a faired recumbent, and a loaded touring bike

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 256 Post(s)
Liked 90 Times in 75 Posts
Originally Posted by hotbike
The Idea is a lot more practicible now, with the LED lights that are avaiable. Long battery life is important, and minimal curent consumption gives longer battery life.
The Bike Share Program seems to incorporate LED Running Lights. ALL of My Bikes have Amber Markers at this point in time...

Unfortunately, if we make these lights mandatory, a lot of people will simply give up cycling, or give up their plans to start cycling, or decide not to buy bikes for their kids. I can't believe how cheap people are...
Old 12-22-14, 10:42 PM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
Rather than DRLs for bikes, lets go back to the early 1900s. Someone with a flag had to run in front of autos. The roads would be far safer!!!
Old 12-22-14, 11:04 PM
howeeee
Banned.

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
One thing I love about riding bicycles in Michigan, the police and legislatures dont give much of a hoot of what we do lol I like it that way, I can run lights right in front of cops, they dont even notice. Last thing we need is more laws making it a pain to ride.
Old 12-23-14, 12:47 AM
jputnam

Bikes: Custom 531ST touring, Bilenky Viewpoint, Bianchi Milano, vintage Condor racer

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Unfortunately, if we make these lights mandatory, a lot of people will simply give up cycling, or give up their plans to start cycling, or decide not to buy bikes for their kids. I can't believe how cheap people are...
Either that, or the requirements for the mandatory lights will be watered down to make the lights so cheap they're worthless.
Old 12-23-14, 12:53 AM
daihard 
Just a person on bike

Bikes: 2015 Trek 1.1, 2021 Specialized Roubaix, 2022 Tern HSD S+

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 56 Posts
If DRL became mandatory on the federal level, it would mean all bicycles sold in the U.S. would come with a pre-installed light. If that happens, it may not be all that bad.

The value of your life doesn't change based on the way you travel. - Dawn Schellenberg (SDOT)
Old 12-23-14, 01:28 AM
jputnam

Bikes: Custom 531ST touring, Bilenky Viewpoint, Bianchi Milano, vintage Condor racer

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by daihard
If DRL became mandatory on the federal level, it would mean all bicycles sold in the U.S. would come with a pre-installed light. If that happens, it may not be all that bad.
Do we have any reason to believe the standard would be any more effectively designed than the CPSC toy-bicycle reflector standard?

I would expect it to require lights so dim and useless that competent cyclists immediately replace them with something adequate, while the rest are misled into thinking themselves safe with grossly inadequate lighting.
Old 12-23-14, 01:46 AM
daihard 
Just a person on bike

Bikes: 2015 Trek 1.1, 2021 Specialized Roubaix, 2022 Tern HSD S+

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 56 Posts
Originally Posted by jputnam
Do we have any reason to believe the standard would be any more effectively designed than the CPSC toy-bicycle reflector standard?

I would expect it to require lights so dim and useless that competent cyclists immediately replace them with something adequate, while the rest are misled into thinking themselves safe with grossly inadequate lighting.
I don't have any reason to believe that the standard would be as ineffective as the toy bicycle reflector standard. Af the very least, the vehicle headlights aren't that bad where the DRL is mandatory.

The value of your life doesn't change based on the way you travel. - Dawn Schellenberg (SDOT)
Old 12-23-14, 01:59 AM
jputnam

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by daihard
I don't have any reason to believe that the standard would be as ineffective as the toy bicycle reflector standard. Af the very least, the vehicle headlights aren't that bad where the DRL is mandatory.
Vehicle lighting is regulated by an entirely separate agency, with data-driven safety standards and intense Congressional oversight.

Bicycles are regulated as toys by the CPSC, with no rigorous investigation of standards and little if any oversight.

Vehicle road lighting beam patterns have been regulated since the 1940s. DRLs just required some of those already-regulated beams to be kept on in daylight.

There are no Federal standards for bicycle lighting, and the agency in charge says reflectors are an adequate mandate for adults who choose to ride their toys on the street.

Unless bicycle lighting requirements were placed with an entirely different Federal agency, what would make CPSC take safety seriously?
Old 12-23-14, 02:09 AM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18378 Post(s)
Liked 4,512 Times in 3,354 Posts
I would be happy if all bicyclists just used lights AT NIGHT. Asking for them in the day is just a bit much.

There is the Cyclops Light Fallacy.
Essentially when the Cyclops Brake lights were first installed on NYC Taxis, the benefits for crash protection appeared huge, about 50%? Then as more and more vehicles got them, the decrease found in later studies dropped the number down to about 4.3%. Not zero benefit, but not nearly as great as the early studies had predicted.

Here is the note from Wikipedia
Effective with the 1986 model year, the United States National Highway Traffic Safety Administration and Transport Canada mandated that all new passenger cars come equipped with a CHMSL. The requirement was extended to light trucks and vans for the 1994 model year. Early studies involving taxicabs and other fleet vehicles found that a third, high-level stop lamp reduced rear-end collisions by about 50%. Once the novelty effect wore off as most vehicles on the road came to be equipped with the central third stop lamp, the crash-avoidance benefit declined. However, it did not decline to zero, and a CHMSL is so inexpensive to incorporate into a vehicle that it is a cost-effective collision avoidance feature even at the long-term enduring crash-reduction benefit of 4.3%.
I wonder if in bicycle congested areas, as 50% or greater of the bikes start blinking during mid-day, any safety improvements of the blinkers would go away. I suppose there would be a benefit for the early adopters.

The other thing is that I tend to avoid the heavy traffic congested areas, and thus I believe my risk is lower. I have had a few near-misses in Portland, in particular from cars pulling out in front of me, but that has been quite some time ago.
Old 12-23-14, 07:57 AM
ItsJustMe
Señior Member

Bikes: Windsor Fens, Giant Seek 0 (2014, Alfine 8 + discs)

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 446 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
I don't believe for a second that legislators are stupid. I think in the case of lawmakers, the old adage should be reversed and modified:

Never attribute to stupidity that which can be explained by greed and selfishness.
Old 12-23-14, 08:32 AM
tbo

Bikes: 2018 Trek FX7.3

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
In summary:
  • DRL's on bikes are probably a good idea, at least for now for early adopters.
  • Helmets are probably a good idea, but nowhere near perfect.
  • If you are going to ride at night, use a light. If you don't want to buy a light, just don't ride at night.
  • Bike Ninja's are evil and doing cyclists in general a disservice. If you are a Bike Ninja, own that fact.
  • Bicycle riding is better than not riding.
  • Cost impedes riding.
  • Lights can be expensive*
  • The real problem is motorists killing and maiming bicyclists, pedestrians, and motorcyclists.
  • Bicycle legislation in the US usually ends up being a shield for motorists. ("I didn't see them, so they must not have had their light, glow-in-the dark helmet, High Vis vest, and whatever else I can think of that should be required so that I never have to be responsible")
  • Bicycle legislation in the US usually inhibits bike riding.

* My wife has a $60 bike with a $120 light on it. Go figure.
Old 12-23-14, 08:52 AM
hotbike

Bikes: a lowrider BMX, a mountain bike, a faired recumbent, and a loaded touring bike

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 256 Post(s)
Liked 90 Times in 75 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK
I would be happy if all bicyclists just used lights AT NIGHT. Asking for them in the day is just a bit much...
No, the issue is, the Lights come on automatically , when the bike is in motion. A small Magnet and Coil are enough to light the LED. I have seen LED Pedals, and LED Wheels on Childrens Scooters, the mechanism is foolproof, and the idiot can't forget to turn the lights on... the lights help in the daytime too, the CitiBike and other Alta Bike Share Bikes all have LED, that always stay lit in motion , and up to two minutes after the bike stops.

It could be done, but not to DOT standards for Motorcycle Lighting... That's my own [h=1]prerogative.[/h]
Old 12-23-14, 09:26 AM
kickstart

Bikes: 2005 Gazelle Golfo, 1935 Raleigh Sport, 1970 Robin Hood sport, 1974 Schwinn Continental, 1984 Ross MTB/porteur, 2013 Flying Piegon path racer, 2014 Gazelle Toer Populair T8

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 396 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Without taking sides one way or the other, its interesting to note that bicycle lights are mandatory in the Netherlands and Germany without a negative impact to cycling.
It seems logical to expect more regulation as mode share increases.
Old 12-23-14, 09:42 AM
KD5NRH

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by ItsJustMe
I don't believe for a second that legislators are stupid.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v7XXVLKWd3Q

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.