Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Pros of the bi-directional bike lanes?

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Pros of the bi-directional bike lanes?

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-14, 08:29 PM
mr_bill

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2112 Post(s)
Liked 663 Times in 443 Posts
Sheesh. If I choose not to ride on the sidewalk it makes some motorists upset.

HTFU.

-mr. bill

Last edited by mr_bill; 12-29-14 at 08:33 PM.
Old 12-29-14, 08:31 PM
daihard 
Just a person on bike

Bikes: 2015 Trek 1.1, 2021 Specialized Roubaix, 2022 Tern HSD S+

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 56 Posts
Originally Posted by mr_bill
Sheesh. If I choose not to ride on the sidewalk it makes some motorists upset.

HTFU.
What's HTFU? Acronym recognition isn't one of my strengths.

The value of your life doesn't change based on the way you travel. - Dawn Schellenberg (SDOT)
Old 12-29-14, 08:35 PM
mr_bill

Harden the [expletive deleted] up.

There are a *small* number of motorists who don't want us on the road - period. They are not long for this world.

Ride your ride. Watch for them, but ride your ride.

-mr. bill

Last edited by mr_bill; 12-29-14 at 08:49 PM.
Old 12-29-14, 08:53 PM
daihard 
Just a person on bike

Originally Posted by mr_bill
Harden the [expletive deleted] up.

There are a *small* number of motorists who don't want us on the road - period. They are not long for this world.

Ride your ride, watch for them, but ride your ride.
I sure hope it is a small number of motorists, but when I'm out and about, I often feel as though it's not the case. Maybe I should just "harden up."

The value of your life doesn't change based on the way you travel. - Dawn Schellenberg (SDOT)
Old 12-29-14, 09:13 PM
mr_bill

You live in a state where you *may* use a bikelane, you do not *have* to use any bikelane.
(So do I.)

It's liberating.

Biking around downtown Seattle I enjoyed. Even more so because the bike rental was free. (Thank you timbuk2.)

-mr. bill
Old 12-30-14, 12:37 AM
kickstart

Bikes: 2005 Gazelle Golfo, 1935 Raleigh Sport, 1970 Robin Hood sport, 1974 Schwinn Continental, 1984 Ross MTB/porteur, 2013 Flying Piegon path racer, 2014 Gazelle Toer Populair T8

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 396 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by daihard
It is crucial that we aren't required to use the 2nd Ave bike paths. If you ride southbound on 2nd Ave and need to turn right, you'd be much better off riding in the rightmost (motor traffic) lane.
Agreed,
Considering its less than a mile long, it seems that the 2nd ave path is best utilized for passing through the downtown core, and use the lesser avenues for getting about locally.
Old 12-30-14, 08:26 AM
mr_bill

It is crucial that we aren't required to use the 2nd Ave bike paths. If you ride southbound on 2nd Ave and need to turn right, you'd be much better off riding in the rightmost (motor traffic) lane.
Originally Posted by kickstart
Agreed,
Considering its less than a mile long, it seems that the 2nd ave path is best utilized for passing through the downtown core, and use the lesser avenues for getting about locally.
This is important! They are *NOT* motor traffic lanes - they are traffic lanes. This is what 2nd ave looks like:

Code:
<>  <--  bike traffic
<>   --> bike traffic
parking/left turn traffic
     --> through traffic
     --> through traffic
<>   --> bus traffic/right turn traffic
You are in no danger of being banned to the "kiddie pool" in Washington State. You can ride your bike in any traffic lane. Just like Boston. Just like Vancouver BC. It's part of our culture.

This is UNLIKE San Francisco, Los Angeles, Montréal and New York City.

So vote with your pedals. If you like the 2nd ave two-way bikelanes - use them!
If you don't like them, *don't* use them.

This is a demonstration project, you locals will decide its fate.

(FWIW, I like the Burrard Street two-way bikelane in Vancouver. I *LOVE* the Hudson River Greenway, and *HATE* *HATE* *HATE* the 1st Avenue bikelane in New York City. My favorite bikelane in Boston is probably the shared Washington Street Silver Line/bikelane.)

-mr. bill
Old 12-30-14, 12:03 PM
kickstart

Bikes: 2005 Gazelle Golfo, 1935 Raleigh Sport, 1970 Robin Hood sport, 1974 Schwinn Continental, 1984 Ross MTB/porteur, 2013 Flying Piegon path racer, 2014 Gazelle Toer Populair T8

Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
I sure hope it is a small number of motorists, but when I'm out and about, I often feel as though it's not the case. Maybe I should just "harden up."
If you're not cycling with the intent to "take", "catch", or "control", but simply riding your own ride in a safe, lawful, and courteous manner, then you shouldn't let those few get under your skin as they are the problem, not you.
Old 12-30-14, 12:30 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18378 Post(s)
Liked 4,512 Times in 3,354 Posts
The majority of cars I see are quite courteous to bicyclists. Sometimes to excess, passing me by a whole lane. And, I try to wave them through if they are waiting unnecessarily. But I understand they also have to consider their own vehicle safety. It is usually things like buses and trucks that do close drive-bys that bother me, and that is only a few of the drivers.

I usually don't understand what a person is saying when they yell out the window when driving by.... I just have to assume it was something positive
Old 12-31-14, 02:08 AM
spare_wheel

Bikes: NA

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
No they are not "perfect", those with a glass-half-empty outlook will find fault, but my personal experience and observations of other cyclists showed me that they are a big step in the right direction
You are framing the choice as black and white. There are other choices:

1. Two unidirectional protected bike lanes* with intersection mitigation.
2. Two unidirectional curb- or grade- separated cycle tracks* with intersection mitigation.
3. Two unidrectional buffered or painted bike lanes.

IMO, even option 3 -- mere paint on the road -- would be superior to the cheap kludge that is the 2nd Ave bidirectional protected bike lane.

*on different streets
Old 12-31-14, 01:22 PM
kickstart

Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by spare_wheel
You are framing the choice as black and white.
You have made an emphatically incorrect misinterpretation of my comments.

There are other choices:

1. Two unidirectional protected bike lanes* with intersection mitigation.
2. Two unidirectional curb- or grade- separated cycle tracks* with intersection mitigation.
3. Two unidrectional buffered or painted bike lanes.

IMO, even option 3 -- mere paint on the road -- would be superior to the cheap kludge that is the 2nd Ave bidirectional protected bike lane.

*on different streets
In reality I'm in favor of using the best possible infrastructure for when and where its used, but I also understand there are limitations to what will and can be done, and see it as counter productive to nit-pick the conscientious efforts that do in fact improve the cycling experience for the majority of actual users.
I don't see it in "black or white", "all or nothing", or "with me or against me".

When will you understand we all have the same goals and desires? The ability to safely and harmoniously use the road with all other users in keeping with each modes strengths and weaknesses, while at the same time making alternative modes a safer and more desirable option for the average person.
That won't be accomplished through judgmental righteous indignation, coercion, and disruptive behavior. Change takes time, and needs to be done in a positive, productive manner lest it become an insurmountable point of contention.

The biggest failure would be that loosing the support that brings progress because of the vanity and consternation of a few who demand the impossible.....to make cycling foolproof and/or free of limitations.

BTW, Have you personally ridden the 2nd ave bike path in its current configuration?

Last edited by kickstart; 12-31-14 at 01:31 PM.
Old 12-31-14, 06:52 PM
spare_wheel

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
You have made an emphatically incorrect misinterpretation of my comments.

In reality I'm in favor of using the best possible infrastructure for when and where its used, but I also understand there are limitations to what will and can be done, and see it as counter productive to nit-pick the conscientious efforts that do in fact improve the cycling experience for the majority of actual users.
I don't see it in "black or white", "all or nothing", or "with me or against me".

When will you understand we all have the same goals and desires? The ability to safely and harmoniously use the road with all other users in keeping with each modes strengths and weaknesses, while at the same time making alternative modes a safer and more desirable option for the average person.
That won't be accomplished through judgmental righteous indignation, coercion, and disruptive behavior. Change takes time, and needs to be done in a positive, productive manner lest it become an insurmountable point of contention.

The biggest failure would be that loosing the support that brings progress because of the vanity and consternation of a few who demand the impossible.....to make cycling foolproof and/or free of limitations.

BTW, Have you personally ridden the 2nd ave bike path in its current configuration?
Yes. And just like the crappy SW Broadway parking-protected bike lane in Portland I will likely never ride it again.

I think acceptance of sub-par facilities is one of the things that really holds back cycling advocacy. We need to advocate for facilities that are a step forward, not a half step backwards (e.g. marginally better for the timid and much worse for the confident).
Old 01-01-15, 10:49 AM
kickstart

Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
I think acceptance of sub-par facilities is one of the things that really holds back cycling advocacy. We need to advocate for facilities that are a step forward, not a half step backwards (e.g. marginally better for the timid and much worse for the confident).
Going by the broad spectrum of cyclists I've observed using the various cycling infrastructure around Seattle, your opinions don't reflect reality.
Perhaps it all looks inferior to those few who are looking down from Olympus, but that doesn't prevent it from being useful and benifical to everyone else.
Old 01-01-15, 12:59 PM
spare_wheel

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Perhaps it all looks inferior to those few who are looking down from Olympus, but that doesn't prevent it from being useful and benifical to everyone else.
I should clarify that I was writing about perception and not actual safety. The 2nd Ave bike lane is actually more dangerous than a conventional protected/enhanced bike lane because car-protected lanes (even ones with an inferior left-hook turn lane) impair sight lines and cause people driving potentially-lethal heavy machinery to exclaim: "that cyclist came out of no where!".

Last edited by spare_wheel; 01-01-15 at 01:12 PM.
Old 01-02-15, 12:56 AM
kickstart

Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
I should clarify that I was writing about perception and not actual safety. The 2nd Ave bike lane is actually more dangerous than a conventional protected/enhanced bike lane because car-protected lanes (even ones with an inferior left-hook turn lane) impair sight lines and cause people driving potentially-lethal heavy machinery to exclaim: "that cyclist came out of no where!".
Ok, no argument there, but that's like criticizing every road that isn't built to the standards of a limited access freeway, or every pedestrian crossing that isn't an overpass foot bridge, ergo in the real world, not every bike facility can be foolproof for the most inexperienced cyclist and/or free of limitations to the most able cyclists, nor is it a reason to not provide them for the majority they will reasonably serve.
Old 01-02-15, 01:20 AM
daihard 
Just a person on bike

Originally Posted by jputnam
Actually, if you'll check out SDOT's signs, those are bike *paths*, not bike *lanes.* It's an important legal difference, the right-of-way rules are quite different for both cyclists and motorists.

At an intersection, you're not in a lane of the street that continues through the intersection, you're on a path intersecting the street, so you're entering the street at the intersection. That puts more responsibility on the cyclist to enter the street safely than if you'd already been in the street.

Away from intersections, drivers aren't crossing a lane of the street, they're crossing a separate path. That means they aren't required to merge into the bike lane before turning, and they're under a higher responsibility to yield to any traffic on the path than if it were a lane of the street.
Kind of revisiting this definition. I stumbled on the City of Seattle website where they call this new cycle track "2nd Avenue protected bike lane."

Seattle Department of Transportation:Second Avenue Protected Bike Lane Project

Do they just not understand the legal distinction you explained?

Old 01-02-15, 01:24 AM
daihard 
Just a person on bike

Going by the broad spectrum of cyclists I've observed using the various cycling infrastructure around Seattle, your opinions don't reflect reality.
Not necessarily the Broadway or 2nd Ave bike paths, but the painted bike lane on 4th Ave is nothing but a joke. Not only is it too narrow to be able to ride safely, it also abruptly disappear around Spring St, forcing you to merge into the leftmost traffic lane where cars usually go crazy fast, especially during the evening commute.

I am going to ride on 2nd Ave and Broadway myself tomorrow to experience them myself.

Old 01-02-15, 02:05 PM
jputnam

Bikes: Custom 531ST touring, Bilenky Viewpoint, Bianchi Milano, vintage Condor racer

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Kind of revisiting this definition. I stumbled on the City of Seattle website where they call this new cycle track "2nd Avenue protected bike lane."

Seattle Department of Transportation:Second Avenue Protected Bike Lane Project

Do they just not understand the legal distinction you explained?
"Protected Bike Lane" is an advocacy term that's been poll-tested to get positive reactions from non-cyclists. But if you look at their signage, at their definitions of who is supposed to do what, and at the public commentary of their actual engineers and managers, they're treating the PBL as a path, not a lane of the street.
Old 01-02-15, 11:19 PM
kickstart

Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Not necessarily the Broadway or 2nd Ave bike paths, but the painted bike lane on 4th Ave is nothing but a joke. Not only is it too narrow to be able to ride safely, it also abruptly disappear around Spring St, forcing you to merge into the leftmost traffic lane where cars usually go crazy fast, especially during the evening commute.

I am going to ride on 2nd Ave and Broadway myself tomorrow to experience them myself.
Now that you mention it, I either don't recall ever riding 4th ave where there's a bike lane, or it didn't leave a memorable impression.
Old 01-02-15, 11:30 PM
daihard 
Just a person on bike

Now that you mention it, I either don't recall ever riding 4th ave where there's a bike lane, or it didn't leave a memorable impression.
You didn't miss much. I rode in it a couple of times when I started bike-commuting. I quickly grew tired of the narrow lane, debris and the tricky merge into the sharrowed traffic lane. Switched to using 3rd Ave instead. No regret.

Old 01-02-15, 11:44 PM
daihard 
Just a person on bike

Originally Posted by jputnam
"Protected Bike Lane" is an advocacy term that's been poll-tested to get positive reactions from non-cyclists. But if you look at their signage, at their definitions of who is supposed to do what, and at the public commentary of their actual engineers and managers, they're treating the PBL as a path, not a lane of the street.
Ah, I see. Thanks for the information again.

P.S. If you ask me, "cycle track" sounds the best.

Old 01-03-15, 02:31 PM
jputnam

Bikes: Custom 531ST touring, Bilenky Viewpoint, Bianchi Milano, vintage Condor racer

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Ah, I see. Thanks for the information again.

P.S. If you ask me, "cycle track" sounds the best.
Advocacy groups find "cycle track" generates negative reactions among non-cyclists and casual cyclists, the "track" part seems to have an athletic connotation.

"Protected bike lane" gets better reactions, but is technically inaccurate and generates resistance from traffic engineers, as well as from cyclists in mandatory-bike-lane states who fear they will be required to use sidepaths on streets that have them.

"Protected bikeway" is a newer term that seems to be gaining ground, it avoids the inaccurate "bike lane" terminology and fits into the existing categorization of "bikeways" as various classes of bicycle facility, from a signed on-street route to a fully-separated path.

California legislation recently adopted "separated bikeway" to describe them, since engineers object to "protected" which has a specific engineering meaning that many sidepaths don't meet. But advocacy groups don't like "separated" because it's too close to "segregated" and raises fears of being forced to use hazardous sidepaths.
Old 01-03-15, 02:42 PM
jputnam

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
It's easy to miss the 4th Ave bike lane if you're used to riding on city streets -- it's another substandard-width, wrong-side bike lane, like the old 2nd Ave Bike Lane of Death, with the same constant conflicts with left-turning drivers who aren't used to having a bike lane to the left of turning traffic. (4th is marginally safer since it's going up hill and bikes overtaking on the left aren't going as fast as those coasting downhill on 2nd. But it's still substandard-width, to the left of left-turning traffic; drivers still use it for load/unload where there's no on-street parking, and it's entirely in the door zone where there is on-street parking.)

I don't know of any official counts, but as a frequent downtown rider, my impression is that the majority of cyclists who choose 4th don't use the bike lane. I certainly don't, it's just too high-stress. It's much calmer to just plod along in a travel lane and let cars pass when it's safe.

Last edited by jputnam; 01-03-15 at 02:53 PM.
Old 01-07-15, 10:47 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts
Boise tried this a couple years back and the whole thing was scrapped quickly over the acrimony.
Old 01-07-15, 10:59 PM
daihard 
Just a person on bike

Originally Posted by Rollfast
Boise tried this a couple years back and the whole thing was scrapped quickly over the acrimony.
Did the acrimony come from the cyclist community, or from others?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.