Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Hi viz reflective shirts?

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-15, 11:54 AM
cncspinner

Bikes: 2012 specialized hard rock, 2014 trek 7.3,2015 trek 1.2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I would have assumed this topic would have been beaten to death but surprisingly I havnet been able to find many options with my google searches. I'm looking for a hi viz long sleeve shirt with reflective strips (or atleast something reflective) I don't want a vest and I don't want to look like a construction worker...The only thing I've really found was from a search of running wear which produced this Nike Element half zip with reflective (pictured). Are there any other company's out there making anything similar to the Nike? I would like to explore all options before I order one since no one local stocks them (which is an entire other rant lol)

Old 01-31-15, 11:56 AM
cale

Bikes: Kuota Ksano. Litespeed T5 gravel - brilliant!

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
https://www.google.com/search?q=hi+v...sm=93&ie=UTF-8
Old 01-31-15, 12:03 PM
cncspinner

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yep, already been down that road with the search. Everything looks like form fitting jersey type. I'm looking for something more "loose" that looks more like a conventional long sleeve shirt
Old 01-31-15, 12:11 PM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1350 Post(s)
Liked 1,245 Times in 623 Posts
Get a vest from wallmarty.

and or a bright tail light

Old 01-31-15, 12:49 PM
no1mad 
Thunder Whisperer

Bikes: '06 Kona Smoke

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
https://www.alertshirt.com/

I'll take "looking like a construction worker" over something with a pin-stripe reflective accent any day.
Old 01-31-15, 01:03 PM
cale

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by cncspinner
Yep, already been down that road with the search. Everything looks like form fitting jersey type. I'm looking for something more "loose" that looks more like a conventional long sleeve shirt
Well, at least my post prompted you to add some more important detail regarding the jersey you want.

I've always looked at it this way:

a) I'm riding at night. Wear my hi viz cycling jacket, lights flashing, etc.
b) I'm riding with my son and taking it easy. Wear hi viz, jacket or vest.
c) Powering along on a bike path or road in daylight. Wear a jersey.
d) Off to the market. Street clothes.

YMMV.
Old 01-31-15, 01:10 PM
cncspinner

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I didn't mean the construction worker comment in a bad way, just tring to paint a picture of what I don't want.

Yes i I guess I did leave out info, I have a vest that I wear. What I want is something hi viz, reflective that I can wear as a "normal" long sleeve. I go out to meet friends once a week or so for some appetizers and such. I ride at night for this and don't want to walk into a restaurant in full cycle gear or have to leave anything with the bike.....
Old 01-31-15, 01:14 PM
cale

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Loose jerseys are hard to find in any particular combination. Columbia Sportswear Freeze Degree Shirt - UPF 50, Zip Neck, Long Sleeve (For Men) https://www.sierratradingpost.com/bro...colorFamily=01 https://www.sierratradingpost.com/exo...colorFamily=04

Last edited by cale; 01-31-15 at 01:18 PM.
Old 01-31-15, 01:21 PM
genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 13658 Post(s)
Liked 4,532 Times in 3,158 Posts
Originally Posted by cncspinner
I didn't mean the construction worker comment in a bad way, just tring to paint a picture of what I don't want.

Yes i I guess I did leave out info, I have a vest that I wear. What I want is something hi viz, reflective that I can wear as a "normal" long sleeve. I go out to meet friends once a week or so for some appetizers and such. I ride at night for this and don't want to walk into a restaurant in full cycle gear or have to leave anything with the bike.....
Carry a small bag on the bike and put your shirt/jacket in that when you go to meet friends.

This is what I have done for years. Trying to be highly visible in glowing green and reflective material, and stylish, are mutually exclusive.

Wear gear that is comfortable for cycling and presentable to your friends, then throw on "the safety glowing stuff" on top. Remove it and put in bag, carry bag into "the meet." You can even carry some clean up gear in the bag... comb, etc to make yourself more presentable.

Back in my no car days, that is how I dealt with meeting friends at various venues while managing to avoid the stigma of "looking like a bumblebee." (as one local reporter stated about cyclists in hivis gear)
Old 01-31-15, 01:46 PM
jputnam

Bikes: Custom 531ST touring, Bilenky Viewpoint, Bianchi Milano, vintage Condor racer

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Find a shirt you like and add the reflective trim yourself. It's simple and easy to do.

One off-the-shelf solution is Lightweights Power Reflectors, which are die-cut pieces of industrial-safety-grade reflective heat-transfer trim, basically lots of little round and oval iron-on reflector bits that hold up very well and are extremely bright. Also available as rolls of trim tape for long lines on arms or legs.

That's what I used on my winter gloves, for example:
Winter Bicycle Commuting Gloves by joshua_putnam, on Flickr
Old 01-31-15, 01:50 PM
jputnam

Bikes: Custom 531ST touring, Bilenky Viewpoint, Bianchi Milano, vintage Condor racer

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
One other thought, your bike and your legs are probably a better place to focus for reflective conspicuity at close range, in city conditions. Your upper body is often above the cutoff of the headlights by the time a car is less than a block away, so shoe and leg reflectors will be much brighter than arm reflectors for the same amount of reflective material.

On the other hand, your whole body may be blocked from view by other vehicles, so it's always a good idea to have your helmet as conspicuous as possible... never understood why so many urban helmets are black.
Old 01-31-15, 02:01 PM
genec
genec

Originally Posted by jputnam
One other thought, your bike and your legs are probably a better place to focus for reflective conspicuity at close range, in city conditions. Your upper body is often above the cutoff of the headlights by the time a car is less than a block away, so shoe and leg reflectors will be much brighter than arm reflectors for the same amount of reflective material.

On the other hand, your whole body may be blocked from view by other vehicles, so it's always a good idea to have your helmet as conspicuous as possible... never understood why so many urban helmets are black.
Or so much other bike gear for that matter. Never made sense to me. Black shorts I can understand.. you need a place to wipe your greasy hands after putting the chain right... but everything else should be bright and reflective. F "style," style doesn't do squat for you when you are in a hospital bed because "I didn't see the cyclist..."

If you are going to share the road with 2 ton beasties, you best stand out!
Old 01-31-15, 03:17 PM
daihard 
Just a person on bike

Bikes: 2015 Trek 1.1, 2021 Specialized Roubaix, 2022 Tern HSD S+

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 56 Posts
That's my only regret on my helmet. I bought a black one thinking it looked good - out of sheer ignorance. Now I cover it with a Sugoi hi-vis helmet cover pretty much all the time...

The value of your life doesn't change based on the way you travel. - Dawn Schellenberg (SDOT)
Old 01-31-15, 03:59 PM
Chris516
24-Speed Machine

Bikes: 2003 Specialized Allez 24-Speed Road Bike

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I have two reflective vests. I have an orange one that I think is useless. I have a yellow one, that is better. Then I have two short-sleeve reflective yellow jerseys. Last, I have a yellow long-sleeve reflective windbreaker.l
Old 01-31-15, 04:02 PM
Chris516
24-Speed Machine

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Find a shirt you like and add the reflective trim yourself. It's simple and easy to do.

One off-the-shelf solution is Lightweights Power Reflectors, which are die-cut pieces of industrial-safety-grade reflective heat-transfer trim, basically lots of little round and oval iron-on reflector bits that hold up very well and are extremely bright. Also available as rolls of trim tape for long lines on arms or legs.

That's what I used on my winter gloves, for example:
Winter Bicycle Commuting Gloves by joshua_putnam, on Flickr
Do you wear these over regular gloves during the winter?

I was given a pair like these, for Christmas 2014. But I started wondering about wearing them over winter gloves.
Old 01-31-15, 05:07 PM
Fargo Wolf
Resident smartass.

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Try looking at a store that sell high vis stuff for construction workers. There's a good range of stuff there that would work for you.
Old 01-31-15, 05:12 PM
dynaryder
DancesWithSUVs

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
+1 for these,I own several. Even after many washings they're still very bright and don't shrink that much(note: I hang them to dry).

You can also always add reflective material to a shirt:
IDENTI-TAPE - Sew-on and Heat-Transfer Reflective Fabric and Reflective Tapes

C'dale BBU('05 and '09)/Super Six/Hooligan8and 3,Kona Dew Deluxe,Novara Buzz/Safari,Surly Big Dummy,Marin Pt Reyes,Giant Defy 1,Schwinn DBX SuperSport,Dahon Speed Pro TT,Brompton S6L/S2E-X
Old 01-31-15, 05:12 PM
jputnam

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by daihard
That's my only regret on my helmet. I bought a black one thinking it looked good - out of sheer ignorance. Now I cover it with a Sugoi hi-vis helmet cover pretty much all the time...
Dark helmets are a great place for reflective tape.

Conspicuity 3
by joshua_putnam, on Flickr
Old 01-31-15, 05:14 PM
jputnam

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Chris516
Do you wear these over regular gloves during the winter?

I was given a pair like these, for Christmas 2014. But I started wondering about wearing them over winter gloves.
These are fine by themselves for the winter, at least in the Seattle area where "winter" is rarely below the upper 20s.
Old 01-31-15, 09:46 PM
daihard 
Just a person on bike

Dark helmets are a great place for reflective tape.

Conspicuity 3
by joshua_putnam, on Flickr
Good point! I should look for some good reflective tapes at REI tomorrow!

The value of your life doesn't change based on the way you travel. - Dawn Schellenberg (SDOT)
Old 02-01-15, 12:18 AM
Chris516
24-Speed Machine

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
These are fine by themselves for the winter, at least in the Seattle area where "winter" is rarely below the upper 20s.
Ah, Here on the East Coast. It can get to where. It is below 20, or even below 0.
Old 02-01-15, 07:11 AM
DirtRoadRunner

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I saw some loose-fitting neon-green exercise-type shirts at Wal-Mart the other day, for something like $14. They also had some neon-green windbreakers for $17 - I might pick one up for cool-weather riding. Beats paying $150+ for a Pearl Izumi cycling windbreaker - and they'll all made in China anyway!
Old 02-01-15, 10:52 AM
genec
genec

Originally Posted by Chris516
I have two reflective vests. I have an orange one that I think is useless. I have a yellow one, that is better. Then I have two short-sleeve reflective yellow jerseys. Last, I have a yellow long-sleeve reflective windbreaker.l
I took a yellow one and added orange to it. In reality one should have something that has contrasting colors... so when the light is just right to mute one color, the other one shows better. And then big reflecting panels for the dark times.
Old 02-01-15, 10:53 AM
Looigi

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts
Check this: Elevengear Cycling
Old 02-01-15, 12:08 PM
daihard 
Just a person on bike

Originally Posted by DirtRoadRunner
I saw some loose-fitting neon-green exercise-type shirts at Wal-Mart the other day, for something like $14. They also had some neon-green windbreakers for $17 - I might pick one up for cool-weather riding. Beats paying $150+ for a Pearl Izumi cycling windbreaker - and they'll all made in China anyway!
I paid $35 or so for my Canari windbreaker on sale. In fact, this is probably the best time to hunt for cycling gear. I always prefer cycling-specific clothes because of the extra pockets and the long-tail design.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.