Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

The Power of Language

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

The Power of Language

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-15, 02:29 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5791 Post(s)
Liked 2,581 Times in 1,431 Posts
Originally Posted by MMACH 5
Sorry. Typo on my part. They were the logo for Mobil Oil (formerly Magnolia Petroleum - the one in the Dallas skyline is at the top of the Magnolia building).
No need to apologize, we all (or at least I) appreciate a good straight line.

Anyway, it led me to an interesting segue because I was curious about how Pegasus, the logo of Socony/Mobil ended up on the roof of Magnolia Oil. Here's the story if anyone else is curious.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.

Last edited by FBinNY; 02-19-15 at 02:36 PM.
Old 02-19-15, 03:27 PM
MMACH 5
Cycle Dallas

Bikes: Dulcinea--2017 Kona Rove & a few others

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by FBinNY
No need to apologize, we all (or at least I) appreciate a good straight line.

Anyway, it led me to an interesting segue because I was curious about how Pegasus, the logo of Socony/Mobil ended up on the roof of Magnolia Oil. Here's the story if anyone else is curious.
That's a good write up. They mention the Casa Linda Mobil station. We have lived in and around that neighborhood for 25 years. That gas station was one of the last full-service hold outs in Dallas. My wife patronized it until it was demolished in 2003. There's now a Wells Fargo on that lot.

We've really hijacked this thread, haven't we?
Old 02-19-15, 03:42 PM
Keith99

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by FBinNY
+1, although I'm not sure it even sounds nice.
Person on bike has been used here to denote completely untrained and possibly brain dead person riding a bike. As opposed to someone who actually knows what they are doing.

That well before this proposal.
Old 02-19-15, 04:07 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 5791 Post(s)
Liked 2,581 Times in 1,431 Posts
Originally Posted by Keith99
Person on bike has been used here to denote completely untrained and possibly brain dead person riding a bike. As opposed to someone who actually knows what they are doing.

That well before this proposal.
So POB had a connotation comparable to BSO?

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 02-20-15, 11:13 AM
jputnam

Bikes: Custom 531ST touring, Bilenky Viewpoint, Bianchi Milano, vintage Condor racer

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by unterhausen
not sure how to put this, but reminding people that it's a person on a bike is not a horrible idea. It has been noted that we are isolated in our cars, and breaking through that isolation is always a good thing
Just as important, in my opinion, is the related move to remind people that drivers, not cars, cause collisions.

"The car struck a pedestrian" makes it sound like the car was doing it on its own. "The driver struck a pedestrian" accurately reflects that the person in control of the car was responsible for keeping the vehicle under control, for driving at a slow enough speed to avoid striking any legal user of the road.

There are genuine accidents, of course, a mechanical failure despite proper maintenance, loss of control due to an earthquake, collapsing behind the wheel for medical reasons. But most collisions aren't random chance, they're the predictable outcome of choices made by the people responsible for keeping vehicles under control.
Old 02-22-15, 03:34 PM
spare_wheel

Bikes: NA

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by kickstart
Respect is earned by showing it, not demanding it.
I'm not sure that its even possible to earn the respect of many of those who do not respect "people who bike". I would also add that respect can be earned by assuming it (and not giving in to intimidation).
Old 02-22-15, 03:39 PM
spare_wheel

Bikes: NA

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by jputnam
Just as important, in my opinion, is the related move to remind people that drivers, not cars, cause collisions.

"The car struck a pedestrian" makes it sound like the car was doing it on its own. "The driver struck a pedestrian" accurately reflects that the person in control of the car was responsible for keeping the vehicle under control, for driving at a slow enough speed to avoid striking any legal user of the road.

There are genuine accidents, of course, a mechanical failure despite proper maintenance, loss of control due to an earthquake, collapsing behind the wheel for medical reasons. But most collisions aren't random chance, they're the predictable outcome of choices made by the people responsible for keeping vehicles under control.
I find the use of the word "accident" to describe collisions to be offensive.
Old 02-22-15, 03:52 PM
zonatandem

Bikes: Custom Zona c/f tandem + Scott Plasma single

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 11 Posts
We sometimes refer to ourselves as 'tandemistas.' Got a problem with that?
Attached Images
File Type: bmp
untitledcrowtandem.bmp (32.5 KB, 2 views)
Old 02-24-15, 10:36 AM
Feldman

Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 51 Posts
Originally Posted by delcrossv
As someone who eschews PC-speak, gender neutrality or other orwellianisms as being either pandering to the thin skinned or just plain unnecessary, I don't think this will have any positive impact on the issue of treatment of cyclists by motorists or the public at large..

Although it sure sounds​ nice.
Bravo, Del. I like speech police almost as much as I like flats at night in the rain.