Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Should bikes be allowed in Drive-thrus?

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Should bikes be allowed in Drive-thrus?

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-15, 09:29 PM
Chris516
24-Speed Machine

Bikes: 2003 Specialized Allez 24-Speed Road Bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by FBinNY
I think he means that bicyclists and pedestrians riding or walking up are more likely to eat on site than motorists driving up. That can also mean more littering. Given that these businesses make money by selling food, it's logical to assume that wouldn't turn people away without cause. You or the city administration may disagree about the cause, but you're not indemnifying them for the consequences either.
Where is the logic in thinking the will be eating at the drive-thru. When they have to take the money out. Where are they going to put the food, while they get the money out.

Last edited by Chris516; 02-21-15 at 08:52 PM.
Old 02-20-15, 10:11 PM
jputnam

Bikes: Custom 531ST touring, Bilenky Viewpoint, Bianchi Milano, vintage Condor racer

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by LGHT
Not sure if Utah is on of the 20 or so states that classifies "bikes" as vehicles, but basically it comes down to insurance and liability. If you own the restaurant and "allow" bikes to use the drive-thru and a car runs into a bike there is a good chance that the restaurant could get hit with a lawsuit. Also I doubt most insurance carriers would provide coverage if that happens. So basically there is no win for the restaurant if they allow and condone the use of bikes in the drive-thru, but there however is a huge amount of risk.
Having sold commercial insurance in the past, I've never encountered a policy that excluded premises liability for bicyclists in drive-thrus. Doesn't mean they don't exist, but I won't believe they do until someone actually provides a copy of a policy with such a restriction. "Insurance liability" is a convenient cover for any number of arbitrary business decisions that management doesn't want to take ownership of, and most customers are quite willing to blame some faceless insurance company.
Old 02-20-15, 10:14 PM
howsteepisit

Bikes: Canyon Endurace SLX 8Di2

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 510 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 14 Posts
+1 ^^
Old 02-20-15, 10:33 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5791 Post(s)
Liked 2,581 Times in 1,431 Posts
Originally Posted by jputnam
Having sold commercial insurance in the past, I've never encountered a policy that excluded premises liability for bicyclists in drive-thrus. Doesn't mean they don't exist, but I won't believe they do until someone actually provides a copy of a policy with such a restriction. .....
I agree that the insurance companies are often used to give cover to corporate decisions. It's always nice to have a scapegoat. But insurance is only one aspect of risk management, and good businessmen will implement policies to try to prevent claims even though they have coverage.

So when someone says, our insurance doesn't allow....., they might mean that the corporate risk management team chose not to.

The effect is the same. My homeowner's policy protects me in the event someone slips on the ice in my driveway. Even though I'm covered for slip accidents, I may (and do) choose to shovel the snow, or spread gravel or do whatever I can to prevent the slip in the first place.

Also, regardless of the general policies, insurance carriers will often send their own risk managers to advise (or require) that certain practices are put into place. You may still have coverage, but the carrier is telling you what he wants to see done. In my warehouse, my property carrier sent an inspector who gave me a laundry list of suggestions and requirements, from installing traction strips in stair treads (suggestion) to replacing all the circuit breakers and panels made by a certain company (a requirement to maintain then policy with 90 days to comply), to all sorts of other housekeeping, safety and fire prevention recommendations, some suggestions, some requirements. They'd be back every 3 years for a fresh review.

So you never know who, but the traffic flow rules for parking areas may be set by the city building inspector, corporate risk manager, or insurance company risk manager.

As an example of how this can get. My warehouse had a large fuel oil tank above ground in the basement. The fire code specifies it be 1/2 buried in sand. The county has since passed a code which says the tanks have to be fully exposed so they can be checked for leaks more easily. I used to have the issue revisited every 3 years, and wasn't going to dig it out, then bury it back and forth, so I printed both codes, above and below on a sheet of paper, and had it to the inspectors saying that when they get the story straight, I'll do it. (tank remains 1/2 buried in sand (so far).

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 02-20-15, 10:45 PM
kickstart

Bikes: 2005 Gazelle Golfo, 1935 Raleigh Sport, 1970 Robin Hood sport, 1974 Schwinn Continental, 1984 Ross MTB/porteur, 2013 Flying Piegon path racer, 2014 Gazelle Toer Populair T8

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 396 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts

So when someone says, our insurance doesn't allow....., they might mean that the corporate risk management team chose not to.
The corporation I work for is self insured, yet uses that as a catch all semantic for safety rules. Its corporate code for "we've been sued for that, and don't want it to happen again".
Old 02-20-15, 11:06 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Originally Posted by kickstart
The corporation I work for is self insured, yet uses that as a catch all semantic for safety rules. Its corporate code for "we've been sued for that, and don't want it to happen again".
It could also mean, we've had close calls and don't want to have a lawsuit. Or that we've looked at it and see risks, and want to be smart about this.

As I said earlier, business open their doors to make money. If they create policies that turn away business and cost money, they have a reason (or at least believe they do).

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

Old 02-20-15, 11:18 PM
gpsblake
Walmart bike rider

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 24 Posts
I wouldn't want to wait in a line of cars blowing fumes or whatever in my face while on a bicycle on a drive-thru. What are you going to do afterwards, eat your food while riding your bike??? I rather sit in anyways on a bike,, I can keep refilling my drink and even more some to put into my bottle afterwards.
Old 02-21-15, 06:57 AM
The Quiet One

Bikes: Felt Z100, Trek 720

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by LGHT
Not sure if Utah is on of the 20 or so states that classifies "bikes" as vehicles, but basically it comes down to insurance and liability. If you own the restaurant and "allow" bikes to use the drive-thru and a car runs into a bike there is a good chance that the restaurant could get hit with a lawsuit. Also I doubt most insurance carriers would provide coverage if that happens. So basically there is no win for the restaurant if they allow and condone the use of bikes in the drive-thru, but there however is a huge amount of risk.
You learn something new every day. I thought all states considered bikes vehicles. I looked at the League of American Bicyclists web site and it looks like those that don't say that a person riding a bike has all the rights and duties of the driver of a vehicle. That's a pretty subtle difference. I wonder how much it matters in the grand scheme of thing.

As for drive thrus, I don't stop at places during normal hours unless they have a rack. Late night, I'm sleeping, so It doesn't matter to me.
Old 02-21-15, 07:22 AM
genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 13658 Post(s)
Liked 4,532 Times in 3,158 Posts
Originally Posted by jputnam
Having sold commercial insurance in the past, I've never encountered a policy that excluded premises liability for bicyclists in drive-thrus. Doesn't mean they don't exist, but I won't believe they do until someone actually provides a copy of a policy with such a restriction. "Insurance liability" is a convenient cover for any number of arbitrary business decisions that management doesn't want to take ownership of, and most customers are quite willing to blame some faceless insurance company.
Could it be that the ins co considers cyclists as peds and thus excludes them that way?
Old 02-21-15, 08:14 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
While it is not a fast food join, I went to my bank. Several times I have ridden my LWB bent thru my banks drive thru. They never said a word. BTW I didnt get run over, the bank didnt start on fire, and there were no law suits against the bank. The only thing of importance that happened was I saved gas money by running an errand on my bike.
Old 02-21-15, 08:19 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
Look at this situation logically. And yes I know common sense and logic are getting trampled these days. The is no sane reason that a person should not be able to go to a drive thru on a bike. Why should I be expected to leave my bike outside and subject to being stolen? After all according to almost all motor vehice codes, bikes have all the rights of a car.
Old 02-21-15, 07:50 PM
spare_wheel

Bikes: NA

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
In Portland this is a settled issue. If you own a business and do not allow bikes in your bike-thru you will have a ton of whoop-ass descend on you and your business:

Burgerville to biking mom: No burgers for you! | OregonLive.com
Burgerville: Bikes now welcome in all drive-thrus - BikePortland.org

Walgreens refuses bicycle riders at outdoor service windows - UPDATED - BikePortland.org
Walgreens now "welcomes" people on bikes at outdoor service windows - BikePortland.org
Old 02-21-15, 08:59 PM
Chris516
24-Speed Machine

Bikes: 2003 Specialized Allez 24-Speed Road Bike

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by gpsblake
I wouldn't want to wait in a line of cars blowing fumes or whatever in my face while on a bicycle on a drive-thru. What are you going to do afterwards, eat your food while riding your bike??? I rather sit in anyways on a bike,, I can keep refilling my drink and even more some to put into my bottle afterwards.
Very valid point. I like to go inside, too. I can relax and not have to worry about a motorist doing something stupid while I am eating.
Originally Posted by spare_wheel
I won't go to Walmart ANYWHERE. But I am glad Burgerville doesn't discriminate.
Old 02-21-15, 09:09 PM
spare_wheel

Bikes: NA

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Chris516
I won't go to Walmart ANYWHERE. But I am glad Burgerville doesn't discriminate.

Walgreens has nothing to do with walmart.
Old 02-21-15, 09:10 PM
Worknomore

Bikes: Serotta CRL, Litespeed Blue Ridge, Bacchetta Ti Aero, Cannondale delta V, 67 Schwinn Sting Ray stick shift.

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Anybody been denied the drive-thru at the bank? I have never attempted the drive-thru at a fast food joint but I ride to my bank usually once a week. I am always cheerfully received at my bank's drive thru.
Old 02-21-15, 09:48 PM
daihard 
Just a person on bike

Bikes: 2015 Trek 1.1, 2021 Specialized Roubaix, 2022 Tern HSD S+

Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 56 Posts
Originally Posted by Worknomore
Anybody been denied the drive-thru at the bank? I have never attempted the drive-thru at a fast food joint but I ride to my bank usually once a week. I am always cheerfully received at my bank's drive thru.
Do they actually have humans? The only drive-thru's at the bank that I've been to are just a bunch of ATMs. They won't deny you because of your mode of transport... for now.

The value of your life doesn't change based on the way you travel. - Dawn Schellenberg (SDOT)
Old 02-21-15, 09:52 PM
Worknomore

Bikes: Serotta CRL, Litespeed Blue Ridge, Bacchetta Ti Aero, Cannondale delta V, 67 Schwinn Sting Ray stick shift.

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Yes real humans, complete with smiles and salutations. In a relatively small town.
Old 02-21-15, 10:21 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18378 Post(s)
Liked 4,512 Times in 3,354 Posts
Originally Posted by spare_wheel
In Portland this is a settled issue. If you own a business and do not allow bikes in your bike-thru you will have a ton of whoop-ass descend on you and your business:

Burgerville to biking mom: No burgers for you! | OregonLive.com
Burgerville: Bikes now welcome in all drive-thrus - BikePortland.org
Given that these businesses make money by selling food, it's logical to assume that wouldn't turn people away without cause.
I agree it is completely illogical to turn away customers for walking/riding.
And people remember bad service much longer than they remember good service.

I suppose I can imagine during regular business hours to encourage pedestrians to go inside (and the restaurants/banks probably consider bikes to be pedestrians).

However, during the extended hours there isn't a choice. So not serving the pedestrians/bikes means they just don't serve them. In most cases, it makes absolutely no business sense.

As I mentioned, it was in PORTLAND over a decade ago when I was refused service at Wendy's for walking to the drive-through during extended hours when the lobby was closed, and there was no line. After being refused service, I never went back... ever... until the restaurant stopped selling hamburgers and started selling Mexican food.

Perhaps I'll have to bite the bullet and get a twitter account and start tweeting just for these occasions in the future.
Old 02-21-15, 10:42 PM
FBinNY 

Originally Posted by CliffordK
Perhaps I'll have to bite the bullet and get a twitter account and start tweeting just for these occasions in the future.
I think this is maybe the best way to handle this stuff. I was not defending the policy, which seems stupid and arbitrary, only the rights of business owners to set their own policies --- including what you or I think are dumb ones.

Using social media is an effective way to effect change. It's fast and it's free of the political process.

Old 02-21-15, 10:54 PM
daihard 
Just a person on bike

Bikes: 2015 Trek 1.1, 2021 Specialized Roubaix, 2022 Tern HSD S+

Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 56 Posts
Using social media is an effective way to effect change. It's fast and it's free of the political process.
A bit off, but a new Taco Time just opened in our neighbourhood. They had no bike rack. Some of us complained loudly on the social media, though it was mainly on Facebook and not on Twitter. They just installed a bike rack today.

The value of your life doesn't change based on the way you travel. - Dawn Schellenberg (SDOT)
Old 02-21-15, 10:59 PM
RomansFiveEight

Bikes: Nashbar CR5

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ItsJustMe
I think that most reasons to exclude bicycles would also apply to motorcycles, so if they're willing to exclude motorcycles also then whatever. I'll just go to the next place, or go into the lobby.
Well, motorcycles can brake and accelerate as well (usually much better, actually) than cars, and they have the same required safety equipment (brake lights, mirrors, etc.) That, among other reasons (including requiring a license) is why a motorcycle is treated exactly like any other car on the road.

All that said, I can't see why any of those things matter in a drive-thru. I've never been through a drive-thru on my motorcycle or my bicycle though! Can't say I ever had the desire.

Guess it all comes down to whether that business/state considers a bicyclist a pedestrian or a motor vehicle. Motorcycles are definitely a motor vehicle. Most places treat bicycles similarly to motor vehicles. But, with laws like these, we can see some treating them like pedestrians.
Old 02-21-15, 11:06 PM
loky1179

Bikes: 2x Bianchi, 2x Specialized, 3x Schwinns

Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 7 Posts
Well, Gerv has:
Old 02-21-15, 11:31 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18378 Post(s)
Liked 4,512 Times in 3,354 Posts
Has anybody EVER been turned away from a coffee kiosk for walking/riding up to the window?

Thanks guys, I think I finally understand the policy.

During daylight hours, stores, banks, restaurants encourage walking customers to come inside the store. Stores might in fact wish to encourage customers to view all their other items in the store for mad purchases. Bikes, of course, tread a fine line between pedestrians and vehicles.

For the fast food restaurants and pedestrians, the problem comes during the extended hours when they choose to keep the drive-through open and close the lobby.

A "normal" business would change the policy to allow all comers to the drive-up window. But, they seem to forget to change their policies from daytime to late hours.

Bikes just get stuck in the middle.

And, of course, as mentioned, people remember bad service, and the internet is a good way to spread dissatisfaction.
Old 02-22-15, 08:37 AM
no motor?
Unlisted member

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1376 Post(s)
Liked 432 Times in 297 Posts
I was at a local Chase branch. They took my deposit then, and I found another bank that not only allowed me (and others on bicycles) to use their drive in and wasn't run by criminals that helped crash the economy. I now use a credit union that hasn't said anything when I park my bicycle inside their lobby when making a deposit.
Old 02-22-15, 08:41 AM
Don in Austin
Don from Austin Texas

Bikes: Schwinn S25 "department store crap" FS MTB, home-made CF 26" hybrid, CF road bike with straight bar, various wierd frankenbikes

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Starbucks has a corporate policy no bikes in the drive-through. One good reason I don't patronize them. In Austin we have lots of locally owned coffee shops, many with drive-throughs. They are very friendly and the girl with purple hair and three nose rings is happy to fill you water bottles.

Don in Austin

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.