Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

When does a sidewalk become a bike path?

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

When does a sidewalk become a bike path?

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-15, 11:50 PM
jputnam

Bikes: Custom 531ST touring, Bilenky Viewpoint, Bianchi Milano, vintage Condor racer

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by CrankyOne
If a bike path is OK, when does it become a dangerous sidewalk (assuming it still has same driveways and minor road crossings)? When it is only 2' from the road? When it is directly adjacent to the road? When it is made of cement instead of asphalt? When has it become so dangerous that children should be told not to ride to school unless they do so in the traffic lane?
If it's shared with pedestrians, it's not a bike path, but it might be a multi-use path.

If it has driveway intersections that lack proper sight distances and turning radii, then it's not a path, it's a sidewalk.

It might still be a safer place for children to ride, depending on the street, but they need to understand they're riding on a sidewalk, not a bike path.

On a sidewalk, every driveway is a potential conflict point with motorists who are looking for pedestrian-speed traffic.

On a sidewalk, if bicycling is legal, there's no "right" direction of travel like there is on a path, so you must be constantly aware of more potential conflicts.

On a sidewalk, cyclists should generally limit themselves to pedestrian speeds when they're near any pedestrians, any driveways or intersections, any cyclists heading other directions.
Old 03-05-15, 12:13 AM
vol

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 12 Posts
In the last few weeks I saw quite a few people riding on the sidewalks due to the road condition (snow, ice, slush). Some deliverymen rode too fast on the sidewalks passing pedestrians, not good. On the rare occasions when I need to ride on sidewalks, I ride almost at pedestrians' pace.
Old 03-05-15, 12:20 AM
ro-monster

Bikes: Pacific Reach, Strida

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Where I live the distinction between sidewalk and multi-use path is murky. Not only is it legal to ride on sidewalks, but some of them are designated as multi-use paths and are shown as bike routes on the city's bike map. These range from a path about 7 feet wide that is separated from the road and and has few intersections or driveways to ordinary 3 foot wide sidewalks in residential neighborhoods. There is even one place that has a marked, signed bike lane on the sidewalk.
Old 03-05-15, 10:18 AM
CrankyOne

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 358 Post(s)
Liked 48 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by prathmann
Collisions tend to occur at intersections where traffic paths can conflict and on a sidewalk every driveway becomes an intersection. I would consider any bike path that has just as many driveway crossings as a typical residential suburban sidewalk to be just as dangerous as the sidewalk and would avoid it.
About a year ago there was a fairly in-depth report, I think by people-for-bikes but couldn't find it there, that looked at this. If I remember correctly something like 60% of fatalities were riders being hit from behind and about 40% were at intersections. Maybe someone else on here has a link to it.
Old 03-05-15, 10:30 AM
CrankyOne

Originally Posted by CliffordK
For me... heading from home to town I'm usually faster than from town to home, and thus, perhaps it is appropriate that I stay on the road heading towards town, then hop onto that section of sidewalk/path heading home.
Care to expound on the cause of this :-)
Old 03-05-15, 10:33 AM
CrankyOne

Originally Posted by squirtdad
IMHO that is not a bike path, it is a sidewalk, no matter how wide. ...
So, should we tell the hundred or so kids who ride along here every day to school that they shouldn't because it is too dangerous due to the driveways? Should we tell them that instead they should ride in the motor traffic lane with fairly heavy 45-55 mph traffic?
Old 03-05-15, 10:40 AM
CrankyOne

Originally Posted by vol
In the last few weeks I saw quite a few people riding on the sidewalks due to the road condition (snow, ice, slush). Some deliverymen rode too fast on the sidewalks passing pedestrians, not good. On the rare occasions when I need to ride on sidewalks, I ride almost at pedestrians' pace.
Agree. I get quite irritated with people who ride dangerously on sidewalks, MUPS, or paths exclusive to bikes. One issue that people in communities near where I live have been focusing on is some common path/sidewalk etiquette like keep right except to pass (or if walking side-by-side the person on the left should move to the right), bell ding to let people know you're passing, etc. MUPs are slowly getting better even as they're getting more crowded.
Old 03-05-15, 10:43 AM
CrankyOne

Originally Posted by ro-monster
Where I live the distinction between sidewalk and multi-use path is murky. Not only is it legal to ride on sidewalks, but some of them are designated as multi-use paths and are shown as bike routes on the city's bike map. These range from a path about 7 feet wide that is separated from the road and and has few intersections or driveways to ordinary 3 foot wide sidewalks in residential neighborhoods. There is even one place that has a marked, signed bike lane on the sidewalk.
Sounds familiar. Roseville MN painted a strip down the middle of a 6' wide sidewalk and wrote walk on one side and bike on the other closest to traffic. Since this is only on one side of the road I'm assuming they expect this 3' bikeway directly adjacent to 45 mph motor traffic and with street signs in the middle every so often to act as a two-way :-)
Old 03-05-15, 11:19 AM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18378 Post(s)
Liked 4,512 Times in 3,354 Posts
For me... heading from home to town I'm usually faster than from town to home
Oh, nothing much. Just a typical day might be 20 to 40 miles. Headed into town, I'm goal directed, may have a time crunch, and fresh. While I'm often stopping for errands, by 40 miles I'm beginning to slow down, and I don't think complete recovery occurs until overnight. My backpack is also often also loaded with an extra 20 pounds or so of food and supplies.

About a year ago there was a fairly in-depth report, I think by people-for-bikes but couldn't find it there, that looked at this. If I remember correctly something like 60% of fatalities were riders being hit from behind and about 40% were at intersections. Maybe someone else on here has a link to it.
Here is this report. I'm not sure if it is the one you're talking about, but it has a lot of details.
Index - Crash-Type Manual for Bicyclists

Unfortunately I think it only makes the serious/not serious distinction, but doesn't count fatalities.

I find it is a little frustrating because it is broken down into about 60 separate pages. I have summarized some of the data in a personal spreadsheet. Here is my summary. A couple of fields are calculated (giving fractions of an accident), or were my attribution of fault based on the description.

Younger kids especially were most affected by driveways and intersections.

About half the accidents were caused by actions of the bicycles such as failing to stop at a stopsign, or not looking.
About half were caused by actions of the car such as rear-ending, or also failing to stop or yield.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
CrashStatisticsSummary.jpg (102.4 KB, 6 views)
Old 03-05-15, 03:16 PM
prathmann

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Clifford's chart indicates far smaller percentages for hit-from-behind: under 9% of all reported crashes and about 14% of the serious/fatal ones and that's more consistent with other figures I've seen. Hit-from-behind crashes tend to be more serious due both to the higher average speed of impact and that the cyclist would frequently be totally unaware until the moment of impact. I've seen figures of up to 40% being hit-from-behind when only fatal crashes are considered - but fortunately those constitute only a tiny minority of all crashes.
Old 03-05-15, 03:20 PM
spare_wheel

Bikes: NA

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
a light-weight study that used collated media reports and classified some hook/cross-type collisions as "hit from behind" purely based on the angle of impact.
Old 03-05-15, 03:27 PM
spare_wheel

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by jputnam
On a sidewalk, every driveway is a potential conflict point with motorists who are looking for pedestrian-speed traffic.
drivers also often fail to notice cycling-speed traffic at driveways and intersections so your critique applies to cyclists using bike lanes and vehicle lanes

Last edited by spare_wheel; 03-05-15 at 03:31 PM.
Old 03-05-15, 05:11 PM
Keith99

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by genec
When it becomes driveways.

Sidewalks in of themselves are not dangerous... the fact that motorists may drive across them in certain areas is what makes them dangerous... and driveways are what allow motorists to drive on sidewalks.

There are areas where sidewalks are nothing more than sidewalks for huge distances... those sidewalks are fine for peds and cyclists (as long as the cyclists watch out for the peds), but as soon as a driveway crosses a sidewalk, both peds and cyclists have to watch out for motorists... motorists who often blindly cross sidewalks as an entitlement of using driveways.

Interestingly the same areas where driveways appear can also be dangerous to cyclists riding on the road... as where right turns are allowed is also where right hooks occur... again largely due to the same "entitlement" issue mentioned above.

Thus driveways present a hazard to sidewalk riders, walkers and to those riding right most on the road. TEACH that right turns and driveways can be dangerous to peds and cyclists.
There is a truly wonderful path on the East side of Palos Verdes. Near Palos Verdes Drive North.

Notice I did not say bike path. It is a walking or riding path, often separated from the street by 20-30 feet and with views badly obstructed and crossed by driveways going into expensive homes. Idylic and a wonderful break, but dangerous as all heck for kids or adults who do not click to the danger and realize they have to turn into pedestrians on wheels. Only rode it once or twice. I did not have the patience to be a good pedestrian on wheels.

It did take a bit before it registered the first time. It was a strange sort of Oh Crap moment.

One thing that made it especially dangerous is that I never saw anyone else on it. That means there is a temptation to go fast (at least by pedestrian on wheels standards) and that car drivers do not expect any cross traffic. Not a good combination.
Old 03-05-15, 07:11 PM
TrekkingMitten
Banned.

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I vote for whatever makes people ride instead of sitting on their couches.
Old 03-05-15, 08:37 PM
howsteepisit

Bikes: Canyon Endurace SLX 8Di2

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 510 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by TrekkingMitten
I vote for whatever makes people ride instead of sitting on their couches.
Not much for freedom of choice are you.
Old 03-05-15, 08:58 PM
kickstart

Bikes: 2005 Gazelle Golfo, 1935 Raleigh Sport, 1970 Robin Hood sport, 1974 Schwinn Continental, 1984 Ross MTB/porteur, 2013 Flying Piegon path racer, 2014 Gazelle Toer Populair T8

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 396 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
My commute to work is significantly faster than my commute home.

Going to work I'm fresh, and its mostly down hill. Going home after working 8 to 10 hours with a mile long 15% grade to climb tends to slow me down.
The big hill is on a main 4 lane arterial that has no shoulders or bike lanes, so going down in the am. I use the lane, going up in the pm. I use the sidewalk. It was in terrible shape, but the city is redoing it a couple blocks at a time and its almost done.
Old 03-05-15, 09:34 PM
spare_wheel

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by howsteepisit
Not much for freedom of choice are you.
is someone less free on a bike than on a motorized couch?
Old 03-05-15, 10:07 PM
howsteepisit

No but nobody makes anybody sit on a couch, as the poster I replied to want to "makes people ride instead of sitting on their couches".
Old 03-05-15, 10:20 PM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK
I will say that I was "tapped" by a car coming out of a commercial driveway while on the sidewalk years ago. I was probably walking my bike on the sidewalk going in the opposite direction of traffic, and he just didn't see me as his attention would have been in the direction of the traffic. No damage, nothing hurt, but it does illustrate that cars don't expect bikes to be quickly traveling on sidewalks in the opposite direction of traffic... or even those traveling at pedestrian speeds.

I suppose now I'm more likely to divert my course while walking to go behind a car that looks like it is ready to exit a drive, or stop and wait, or at least make sure a driver acknowledges me. Sometimes cut behind the first car and in front of the second car in a line of cars.
Then they need to read the Driver handbook. In Florida, the law is simple: before crossing a sidewalk you must stop and yield the right of way. Its essentially the same as a stop sign.

The law is also simple regarding the use of sidewalks: sidewalks are for pedestrian. However, a cyclist may use the sidewalk except in locations where it is prohibited. Typically within the central or downtown district. Cyclist on the sidewalk must also yield to pedestrians.
Old 03-05-15, 10:46 PM
jputnam

Bikes: Custom 531ST touring, Bilenky Viewpoint, Bianchi Milano, vintage Condor racer

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by spare_wheel
drivers also often fail to notice cycling-speed traffic at driveways and intersections so your critique applies to cyclists using bike lanes and vehicle lanes
True, but there are minimum standards for sight distances in travel lanes, unlike bike lanes and sidewalks. The farther you are from the travel lane, the less likely a driver will be looking for vehicular speeds.
Old 03-06-15, 06:25 AM
genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 13658 Post(s)
Liked 4,532 Times in 3,158 Posts
Originally Posted by KraneXL
Then they need to read the Driver handbook. In Florida, the law is simple: before crossing a sidewalk you must stop and yield the right of way. Its essentially the same as a stop sign.

The law is also simple regarding the use of sidewalks: sidewalks are for pedestrian. However, a cyclist may use the sidewalk except in locations where it is prohibited. Typically within the central or downtown district. Cyclist on the sidewalk must also yield to pedestrians.
And just how many drivers also actually come to complete stops at stop signs, drive below the speed limit, and actually come to a complete stop before making a right turn on red and use turn signals before turning or changing lanes? All things that are covered in the Driver Handbook that they are supposed to have read. Dream on.
Old 03-06-15, 10:23 AM
CrankyOne

Originally Posted by genec
And just how many drivers also actually come to complete stops at stop signs, drive below the speed limit, and actually come to a complete stop before making a right turn on red and use turn signals before turning or changing lanes? All things that are covered in the Driver Handbook that they are supposed to have read. Dream on.
Yep. Regardless of where you ride (or drive) you can never count on people simply obeying laws. Better to design roads, bikeways, and sidewalks to encourage or force people to take safer actions. Narrow driving lanes do a much better job of slowing people than speed limit signs do. Tight radius corners at intersections do this even better and at one of the most critical points. Tabling (raising) crossings make people more aware of them and force them to slow (and reduce water and snow buildup). One place where paint does have an impact is sharks teeth (give-way) at crossings which do an amazingly better job of getting drivers to give appropriate ROW than any other type of marking — something about these things pointing at drivers is very effective.
Old 03-06-15, 10:30 AM
genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 13658 Post(s)
Liked 4,532 Times in 3,158 Posts
Yep. Regardless of where you ride (or drive) you can never count on people simply obeying laws. Better to design roads, bikeways, and sidewalks to encourage or force people to take safer actions. Narrow driving lanes do a much better job of slowing people than speed limit signs do. Tight radius corners at intersections do this even better and at one of the most critical points. Tabling (raising) crossings make people more aware of them and force them to slow (and reduce water and snow buildup). One place where paint does have an impact is sharks teeth (give-way) at crossings which do an amazingly better job of getting drivers to give appropriate ROW than any other type of marking — something about these things pointing at drivers is very effective.
Exactly... and in a less autocentric world, this is what should be done to equalize the environment for other road users.
Old 03-06-15, 10:31 AM
CrankyOne

Originally Posted by jputnam
True, but there are minimum standards for sight distances in travel lanes, unlike bike lanes and sidewalks. The farther you are from the travel lane, the less likely a driver will be looking for vehicular speeds.
Very true and something that we need to change. Most of the paths (MUPs) around us have pretty good sight lines and even where it's minimal a bicycle rider can easily slow down a bit to check for cars. There are two such spots along my daily route (or not so daily when it's below about 10f) and neither are a problem. This would be irritating for someone who was intent on maintaining a fast pace but not a problem if you're just riding to work or lunch and can afford to slow for 5 seconds. 99% of the time there are no cars from any direction and I need only slow a slight bit to check and then proceed.

The Dutch CROW manual on bicycle traffic design lays out some pretty specific details on sight lines. Bikeways are usually designed for 18 mph (20 kph) minimum speed so sight lines have to be enough so that drivers can see faster riders approaching if the riders have ROW which is most of the time.

Last edited by CrankyOne; 03-06-15 at 10:36 AM.
Old 03-06-15, 11:49 AM
howsteepisit

However, narrow lanes and tight radius corners discourage or eliminate the possibility for public transit busses to use those streets. I also am skeptical of US drivers adjusting properly to the necessary restrictions, and the ability of public officials to convince the 95% or so of the public who do not use bicycles as transportation to accept reductions in traffic flow.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.