Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

Advice for track ratio

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Advice for track ratio

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-22, 10:07 PM
lancelegstrong

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Advice for track ratio

I'm currently running a flip flop hub with a 16t freewheel on one side and wanted to get some advice about what fixed cog i should run on the other.

Basically i just want something to use at the velodrome so just flip it over to the fixed side once i get there and use something a bit harder for the track.

I am running a 44T on the front currently and i find the 44/16 perfect for street and commuting but just am not sure about how low i should go for the track, would 15 be fine or should I look at going down to 14 maybe? Or even lower?

Sorry if its and stupid question and i know its subjective but just wanted to get some advice as i haven't ever changed ratios before so am a bit in the dark on this

Cheers
Old 03-15-22, 10:36 AM
TejanoTrackie 
Veteran Racer

Bikes: 32 frames + 80 wheels

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1337 Post(s)
Liked 765 Times in 432 Posts
Well, first off, you mean "higher" not "lower." As to gearing for the track, do you mean for just riding or for competition ? If you're just riding, then a 44 x 15 should give you a decent workout, but for racing you'll need at least a 44 x14, and when I was racing it was more like a 47 x 14.

Originally Posted by Dcv
I'd like to think i have as much money as brains.
I see the light at the end of the tunnel, but the tunnel keeps getting longer - me
Old 03-15-22, 11:16 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,569 Times in 974 Posts
Here:
https://www.bikecalc.com/speed_at_cadence

Use that and try out a few different cogs for your ring or some rings even. I can't offer anything track wise, but I use that sheet a lot for time trial gearing stuff.
Old 03-16-22, 02:20 AM
lancelegstrong

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by TejanoTrackie
Well, first off, you mean "higher" not "lower." As to gearing for the track, do you mean for just riding or for competition ? If you're just riding, then a 44 x 15 should give you a decent workout, but for racing you'll need at least a 44 x14, and when I was racing it was more like a 47 x 14.
Yeah just for a decent workout wont be racing or anything, ill give 15 a crack then and see how i go

cheers
Old 03-16-22, 08:02 AM
seau grateau

Bikes: Litespeed Catalyst, IRO Rob Roy, All City Big Block

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1332 Post(s)
Liked 398 Times in 194 Posts
44x15 is going to be a very small gear for track purposes, so get ready to spin like a MF. I'd say get yourself a 48t ring as well for a good starting gear.
Old 03-20-22, 04:00 AM
Zdawg

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I'd recommend getting a range of track cogs from 13-15 if you're going to maintain the chainring at 44t. Make sure you have a long chain whip/lockring tool, as well. Shimano makes an excellent one but if you're in a tighter budget Lifeline also has one that's very reliable