Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Safe tire clearance?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Safe tire clearance?

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-20, 09:10 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Crit, you say ?

Criterium races, being lap races around several blocks of city streets, the course will be devoid of huge stones, one may hope..
Old 08-29-20, 10:15 PM
msl109

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob
Criterium races, being lap races around several blocks of city streets, the course will be devoid of huge stones, one may hope..
Crit bike but will be used in varying road conditions ..
Old 12-15-23, 01:12 AM
mjgnapoli@gmail

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Minimal distance

Hey fellas.
recently picked up a '13 Scott CR1 Elite. It was in too good shape dang there new. Needing another option besides my SuperSix Evo and I love the classic look of rim brakes.
Anyhow, this machine came stock with 23mm's. My 200lb frame needed a bit more stability so I went with Continental Ultra Sport 3's. I will say I love these tires. Also installed on my Cannondale. But, the Evo had enough room easily to accept these tires and the CR1 I thought it would be similar. Well, there's about 3mm clearance front fork at the base and the same at the rear. It's pretty close but after taking it out it just feels right. My only concern is if I had something go wrong and the wheels go out of true. But if that happens I'd still have a problem anyhow and need replacement.
My biggest curiosity is if there's any long distance hindrance or benefits? If there's anyone with experience on this tech option I'd like to know all about it. No one has really mentioned any performance or holdbacks so I'm all ears everyone!
Thanks
Old 12-15-23, 07:54 AM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3514 Post(s)
Liked 2,927 Times in 1,776 Posts
Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
If the OP gets a big enough rock, picked up by the tire, it can jam under the fork crown. It will be like throwing a wall switch with no modulation, just full lock up right away.
I think this is a bit of hyperbole. Any "rock" (assuming anything could even be picked up by those nearly-slick tires), would probably be knocked off by the fork before any kind of "lock up" occurred.
Old 12-15-23, 09:04 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4210 Post(s)
Liked 3,875 Times in 2,315 Posts
Fresh laid asphalt (pothole patching) or fresh chip and seal are the two road conditions that come to mind that are well known for allowing the road's bits to cling to even a smooth tire. Andy
Old 12-15-23, 09:19 AM
smd4

Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
Fresh laid asphalt (pothole patching) or fresh chip and seal are the two road conditions that come to mind that are well known for allowing the road's bits to cling to even a smooth tire. Andy
I, personally, doubt anything clinging to the tire due to stickiness would lock up the front wheel. YMMV.
Old 12-15-23, 02:27 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2762 Post(s)
Liked 2,537 Times in 1,433 Posts
Originally Posted by smd4
I, personally, doubt anything clinging to the tire due to stickiness would lock up the front wheel. YMMV.
Even if a pebble does stick to the tire, if it is small enough to get wedged in there (rather than just hetting knocked of) there is a bit of give in the tire itself to accommodate it. It just needs to get past the brake arch.
Old 12-16-23, 07:52 AM
easyupbug 

Bikes: too many sparkly Italians, some sweet Americans and a couple interesting Japanese

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 587 Times in 411 Posts
Early on I was a design engineer and had to work inside ISO, the many 1,000s of standards guidelines derived by consensus of worldwide subject matter experts for safety and quality in products. The ISO standard for forks being 4mm tire clearance is one of these and while I might fudge a little on my bikes I would never on my families or anyone else's bike. We had an old often used saying "safety standards are written in blood".
Likes For easyupbug:
Old 12-16-23, 09:36 AM
grumpus

Quoted: 501 Post(s)
Liked 436 Times in 335 Posts
Originally Posted by mjgnapoli@gmail
I went with Continental Ultra Sport 3's. I will say I love these tires.
Me too, they seem surprisingly good for the price. I tried them because Bicycle Rolling Resistance rated them excellent for wet grip.
Originally Posted by mjgnapoli@gmail
Well, there's about 3mm clearance front fork at the base and the same at the rear. It's pretty close but after taking it out it just feels right. My only concern is if I had something go wrong and the wheels go out of true. But if that happens I'd still have a problem anyhow and need replacement.
The back end might move enough that a close tyre clearance reduces to nothing when you're sprinting. There's a slim possibility a sharp piece of road debris might jam in the gap and cut the tyre.
Old 12-17-23, 08:33 AM
biker128pedal

Bikes: 2022 Fuel EX 8, 2021 Domane SL6, Black Beta (Nashbar frame), 2004 Trek 1000C for the trainer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 270 Post(s)
Liked 447 Times in 266 Posts
Originally Posted by smd4
Originally Posted by Kapusta
Even if a pebble does stick to the tire, if it is small enough to get wedged in there (rather than just hetting knocked of) there is a bit of give in the tire itself to accommodate it. It just needs to get past the brake arch.
I had a pebble from some freshly laid asphalt where groove down the center of the tire tread gotten stuck up under the fort crown of my Madone when I tried a 28 mm tire. There was space for a smooth road.
Old 12-17-23, 08:37 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2762 Post(s)
Liked 2,537 Times in 1,433 Posts
Originally Posted by biker128pedal
I had a pebble from some freshly laid asphalt where groove down the center of the tire tread gotten stuck up under the fort crown of my Madone when I tried a 28 mm tire. There was space for a smooth road.
I don’t understand this post.
Old 12-17-23, 09:00 AM
smd4

Originally Posted by Kapusta
I don’t understand this post.
Yeah, that one’s a bit of a challenge.

I *think* he’s saying a pebble from some freshly laid asphalt got stuck under his fork crown and wore a groove in his tire.

Last edited by smd4; 12-17-23 at 09:48 AM.
Likes For smd4:
Old 12-17-23, 01:53 PM
esasjl

Bikes: '84 Chas Roberts, '91 Peugeot Galibier, '94 Gitane Leader, '51 Dayton Elite, '90 Verago ATB, '08 Dawes Sardar

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 263 Times in 62 Posts
I've similar front clearance on one of my bikes. The brake caliper is closer than the fork crown and 'gravel' can get caught (wedged) in the caliper and rub on the tyre. Usually stopping and reversing the wheel rotation shifts it but I have had to loosen the wheel on occasion. No issues with the fork crown and wheel has never locked.
Old 12-17-23, 03:01 PM
tFUnK

Bikes: Too many bikes, too little time to ride

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 431 Post(s)
Liked 460 Times in 318 Posts
Yup I've had a pebble get caught in my tire tread and then hit the bottom of the brake caliper. Made an awful sound and locked up the wheel completely (this was on the rear). Removed it and kept riding, but did switch to a narrower tire afterwards.
Old 12-18-23, 05:36 AM
Amt0571

Bikes: Canyon Grand Canyon AL SL 8.0, Triban RC520 Gravel Ltd, Btwin Ultra 520 AF GF, Triban Road 7, Benotto 850

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 402 Post(s)
Liked 215 Times in 137 Posts
That's too narrow for my comfort. Anything that sticks to the tire could potentially lock it.
Old 12-19-23, 02:34 AM
choddo

Quoted: 682 Post(s)
Liked 453 Times in 338 Posts
I was running clearance like that on a 25mm tyre, I think the bike must have come with 23s. Never had an issue until a small bulge started rubbing on the caliper and eventually burst. It was a safe but fast and loud deflation. I don’t know if the bulge was caused by something else being squeezed in there at some point or just usual wear and tear.