Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Entry level shoes for wide feet

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-24, 11:10 AM
howaboutme

Bikes: 2023 Giant Defy Advanced 1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 15 Posts

Coming back into road riding after a few decades and need some advice on shoes for wide feet. I don't need high end stuff and prefer to dip my toes into more affordable options to start with. Any suggestions for shoes for someone with wide feet (splayed toes so the toe box is key)? Thanks!

Last edited by howaboutme; 01-14-24 at 11:25 AM.
Old 01-14-24, 11:22 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6972 Post(s)
Liked 10,968 Times in 4,692 Posts
Specialized.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 01-14-24, 11:32 AM
howaboutme

Originally Posted by Koyote
Specialized.
Thanks! I just looked at their website and the only "wide" shoe is high-end. Or is it a fact that their standard width shoes are forgiving to people w/ wider feet?
Old 01-14-24, 11:42 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6972 Post(s)
Liked 10,968 Times in 4,692 Posts
Originally Posted by howaboutme
Thanks! I just looked at their website and the only "wide" shoe is high-end. Or is it a fact that their standard width shoes are forgiving to people w/ wider feet?
You wrote that "the toe box is key" -- and in my experience, Spec shoes have wider toe boxes than most other brands. They also have a very lenient return policy, which should help you.
Old 01-14-24, 12:08 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6196 Post(s)
Liked 4,810 Times in 3,318 Posts
My son does well in Shimano cycling shoes for his feet that wider than mine but about the same length. I think Shimano actually has wide widths. But you'll have to look. They all are different and every shoemaker out there has their own idea of what a foot's shape is. So until you get some experience with the different fit of different brands I'll recommend you just go to the bike shops and try them on in person, or buy from places that have a generous return policy.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 01-14-24, 12:28 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3242 Post(s)
Liked 2,087 Times in 1,182 Posts
Shimano makes wide sizes in some of their shoes. You don't say if you are using 2 bolt or 3 bolt cleats (mt. or road)but the XC-3 is made in wide, they run about $95 or so
Likes For Steve B.:
Old 01-14-24, 12:40 PM
howaboutme

Thanks all for our recs. I'm likely going w/ the 3 bolt-Look cleats.
Old 01-14-24, 05:04 PM
icemilkcoffee 

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1562 Post(s)
Liked 1,734 Times in 974 Posts
I also have wide feet and I’ve had good luck with Sidi shoes- their regular sizing seems to be wider than others.
Lake has wide option for all their shoes. Although I find them to be kind of wide all over including in the ankle area.
Likes For icemilkcoffee:
Old 01-14-24, 05:12 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8284 Post(s)
Liked 9,053 Times in 4,479 Posts
I have fairly wide size 13 and some Shimano road shoes fit. I think the last pair was under $100 on sale, size 49. I've also had some cheap Duegi road shoes. These were 3 hole cleat types.
Likes For big john:
Old 01-14-24, 05:23 PM
jolly_codger

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 150 Times in 67 Posts
Tommaso shoes run wide and are a brand I have used more than once. They usually have "outlet" shoes for under $30. Last year I treated myself and bought some Bont Riot wide shoes and they are fantastic; worth every penny,
John
Likes For jolly_codger:
Old 01-14-24, 05:25 PM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1820 Post(s)
Liked 1,696 Times in 976 Posts
If you have problem feet, you should try on shoes in person unless you live somewhere there are no retailers near you
Likes For alcjphil:
Old 01-14-24, 05:26 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3242 Post(s)
Liked 2,087 Times in 1,182 Posts
Originally Posted by icemilkcoffee
I also have wide feet and I’ve had good luck with Sidi shoes- their regular sizing seems to be wider than others.
Lake has wide option for all their shoes. Although I find them to be kind of wide all over including in the ankle area.
I think the Sidi “Mega” shoes are their wide versions
Likes For Steve B.:
Old 01-14-24, 05:37 PM
icemilkcoffee 

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1562 Post(s)
Liked 1,734 Times in 974 Posts
Originally Posted by Steve B.
I think the Sidi “Mega” shoes are their wide versions
I tried both the Sidi Trace 2 and Dominator in the regular sizing, and they both fit me fine. In all the other bike shoes I have to go for the wide sizing. I do have other issues with Sidi shoes - namely the buckles- but the fit is good.
Old 01-14-24, 11:22 PM
Sierra_rider

Bikes: Santa Cruz Blur 4 TR, Canyon Endurace cf sl, Canyon Ultimate cf slx, Canyon Strive enduro, Canyon Grizl sl8

Quoted: 219 Post(s)
Liked 847 Times in 342 Posts
I've got very wide feet and am a big fan of Lake. You do have to study their shoe fitting/last guide, as not all their models are the same width, but they have some of the best options for wide feet.
Likes For Sierra_rider:
Old 01-15-24, 12:51 AM
Litespeedlouie

Bikes: Litespeed, O'Brien, Specialized, Fuji

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 9 Posts
I also have wide, flat feet and have been happy through 3 generations of regular Sidi road shoes. It seems counterintuitive, I considered Sidi Mega when they came out, and other recommended brands, but went with Sidi regular in 44.5 since I always had, and had no problems right up through this past summer when I got some Alba 2. I just do mail order.

I have also used Pearl Izumi and Giro touring shoes successfully, the Giro being good but the P-I needing some break-in; I did go into the store to try them on.
Old 01-15-24, 01:56 AM
Sorcerer

Location: '16 StumpJ, Salsa Mukluk, Soulcycles SS, Dean Colonel HT, BMC FourstrokeTrail, Dean Torres CX, Santana Visa Tandem, Trek T2000 Tandem, Cupertino MTB Tandem, FreeAgent26"Xtracycle, Dirt Drop Dingle, Jamis Dragon Dingle, Airborne Skyhag SS, SSDean Cols
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 61 Posts
My feet are shaped like duck flippers. They are very wide and thick. It may be anathema, but Exustar sandals SS515 model is one of the only bike shoes I can put on new without too much pinch. I also use Keen brand shoes, but I need to gradually break them in and stretch them.

Sandals are actually excellent. However I use SPD two bolt pedals mostly. I don't know why someone would use Look style cleats in this day and age.

Perhaps weight is a concern.

Another tactic is to use MTB platform pedals and shoes you already have. When I tour I often use regular shoes so that I don't need an extra pair of shoes and am comfortable. However I understand that there may be a bias against using flat pedals on road bikes (because that is not cool looking or something).

Best of luck in your search for comfort. When I started seriously riding in the '70s we used small shoes and pedal cages and straps. I suffered a long thinking that was normal and comfort came wheny feet became numb from the pressure points. I don't know how I went through all that.

​​​​
Old 01-15-24, 06:39 AM
staehpj1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1251 Post(s)
Liked 756 Times in 561 Posts
My wide feet like Sidi Mega models. They come in a range of models. Some of the lower end models are more afforable and still nice well made shoes.

Last edited by staehpj1; 01-15-24 at 08:14 AM.
Old 01-15-24, 06:47 AM
PhilFo 
Tinker-er

Bikes: 1956 Rudge Sports; 1983 Univega Alpina Uno; 1981 Miyata 610; 1973 Raleigh Twenty; 1994 Breezer Lightning XTR; V4 Yuba Mundo aka "The Schlepper"; 1987 Raleigh "The Edge" Mountain Trials; 1952 R.O. Harrison "Madison"

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked 267 Times in 183 Posts
One more vote for both Sidi and Specialized. For clipless, Sidi makes all their sizes in the Mega range, but you have to try them on first. Granted, these are definitely high end, so probably not what the OP is looking for. Specialized shoes tend to run wide and have always fit my feet, which are size ~9.5 in length and 10.5 in width. These days I'm wearing the Specialized 2FO Roost and couldn't be happier for a platform-pedal shoe.
Old 01-15-24, 11:13 AM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,979 Times in 1,920 Posts
Shimano rd shoes have the better deals & tend to cover an array of sizes/width without a huge logo on them.
Old 01-15-24, 11:37 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4415 Post(s)
Liked 4,867 Times in 3,012 Posts
Fizik also have wide fit options at various price points.
Old 01-15-24, 03:28 PM
biker128pedal

Bikes: 2022 Fuel EX 8, 2021 Domane SL6, Black Beta (Nashbar frame), 2004 Trek 1000C for the trainer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 270 Post(s)
Liked 447 Times in 266 Posts
Many Shimano shoes come in widths. REI has a good selection on most stores. One can use their web sight to see what is in stock. This is what I did a year or so ago. I used my REI discount.
Old 01-15-24, 05:30 PM
Black wallnut 

Bikes: Schwinn Broadway, Specialized Secteur Sport(crashed) Spec. Roubaix Sport, Spec. Crux

Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked 169 Times in 84 Posts
Specialized, ummm nope! The only one they have in their current lineup in wide sizing is their s works torch road shoe @ $450. Sidi Mega are not exactly a budget shoe either. It's what I use for road. Have a pair of Specialized Recon lace-ups for CX, they are wide enough, just barely. When I was last in the market for shoes, about 8 years ago IIRC, I tried a number of different ones. Some from LBS, some mail order. Finally drove 100 miles to Gregg's In Bellevue, WA to try on a pair of Sidi. Haven't looked back. Unless you are a casual rider who will rarely do any rides more than 30 minutes in duration don't cheap out on shoes. Poor fitting shoes can create problems far more expensive to cure and just the cost of good shoes to start.
Old 01-15-24, 05:35 PM
howaboutme

Originally Posted by biker128pedal
Many Shimano shoes come in widths. REI has a good selection on most stores. One can use their web sight to see what is in stock. This is what I did a year or so ago. I used my REI discount.
Thanks for this! I never thought of REI as a place that sold shoes. It looks like the one near me has Shimano, Pearl Izumi and Bontragers. That's a decent selection.

I will have to head to my LBS for Specialized and Sidi. More to do! Thanks all!
Old 01-15-24, 09:03 PM
boomer58 

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 17 Posts
I have the same problem with wide feet 9-EE. I suffered with my first road shoes that I purchased many years ago. I recently purchased a pair of Lake shoes that are 44.0 wide. They work well for a lower price shoe and I have no complaints. I don't think my next pair will have the wind-up crank to tighten them instead of velcro. I also purchased Look pedals and they are alright but I have my old Speedplay pedals that I will be trying soon. I got both the shoes and pedals from Biketiresdirect.com and they were great to deal with. Let us know what you get, boomer.
Old 01-16-24, 05:48 AM
staehpj1

Quoted: 1251 Post(s)
Liked 756 Times in 561 Posts
Originally Posted by howaboutme
Thanks for this! I never thought of REI as a place that sold shoes. It looks like the one near me has Shimano, Pearl Izumi and Bontragers. That's a decent selection.

I will have to head to my LBS for Specialized and Sidi. More to do! Thanks all!
Their return policy is good. So if you have to order without trying on first that is especially helpful. If you have a local REI store they may stock a good variety, but if not, having a local store makes it easy to return web orders.

Last edited by staehpj1; 01-16-24 at 08:48 AM.
Likes For staehpj1:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.