Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Crap on a cracker! Interference problem

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-24, 04:26 PM
VegasJen

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 863 Post(s)
Liked 553 Times in 299 Posts

Couple weeks ago I bought a pair of Reynold carbon wheels for my tri bike. I was super excited to pick these up also because they would be my first experience with tubeless. Had to order some new tape, get some Orange Seal and a couple Schwalbe tubeless tires.. Took the time today to put everything together. All excited to mount them up. Everything was going great until I went to put the front in. That's when I found this.

You might be able to see it here as well.

Just the way the front fork of this Ridley is made. It has a leading edge which has plenty of clearance. But there's this trailing edge that has a much narrower clearance and I'm getting just the slightest bit of rubbing. In fact, if I removed the Reynold sticker, it *might* clear, but it might still rub on at least part of it as well. I haven't done anything yet since I literally just mounted it about an hour ago.

So now I'm considering my options. This is an older frame because I just don't often have cash for big ticket items like a whole new bike. I don't really want to attempt to modify either the fork or the wheel for obvious structural reasons. But the only other option I can imagine is replacing the entire fork/steerer tube with a different unit that has the clearance. I don't like this option from both an expense and an aesthetic perspective.

As I see it, these are my options, along with the related considerations.
1) remove the Reynolds sticker from the wheel. This would obviously be the cheapest and easiest solution, however, I'm not 100% sure there wouldn't be at least a tiny bit of interference even on the bare wheel. Then I would worry about damaging the integrity of the wheel.

2) modify the fork for clearance, either by grinding or shaping. I definitely don't want to grind for obvious structural reason. My preferred solution would be to reshape at least that one small section of the fork. I figure I need at most 2-3mm of clearance. But reshaping would have to be with some imprecise method like a hammer and drift. Then my concern is altering the alignment, parallel of the axle.

3) replacing the fork/steerer tube entirely. This would probably be the most sure way of solving the problem. It is also the most expensive way. I hate the idea of spending two or three hundred dollars on a new fork to clear a used carbon fiber wheel. Kind of defeats the purpose of buying used parts anyway.

I'm absolutely open to suggestions. If anybody has any idea, I'm happy to consider other alternatives.
Old 01-15-24, 05:44 PM
oldbobcat

Bikes: '80 Masi Gran Criterium, '12 Trek Madone, early '60s Frejus track

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 514 Post(s)
Liked 450 Times in 338 Posts
Sure, grind away. It's only plastic.

Just kidding. Don't! You'll void your warranty, and possibly your life.

Obviously, this frame was made when Ridley aerodynamicists thought airfoiling the front fork with the wheel would make the bike go faster. This was obviously before wheels started getting wider.. Either get a narrower front wheel or a fork with more clearance. Well, if you think removing the label on the rim will suffice, try it. Also, make sure your wheel is perfectly dished and true.
Old 01-15-24, 06:44 PM
VegasJen

I was just looking at it again and my original thought was the front fork was aluminum, now, not so sure. Given the complex form, I think it might be CF. If that's the case, then obviously not going to even attempt any reshaping. Short of scratching off the coating, not really sure how to confirm CF vs. aluminum.
Old 01-15-24, 07:08 PM
Crankycrank

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 839 Post(s)
Liked 1,064 Times in 747 Posts
Pretty sure that's a CF fork. I'm guessing those wheels are worth a lot more than a new fork so If it were my bike, I would get a new fork or sell the wheels to recoup your investment and trade for narrower ones. I wouldn't bother trying to structurally modify anything as it takes some special skills. Even if you did it would have to create a lot more space as any out of trueness in the wheel could ruin the fork and rim and your ride for sure. That's the joy of Tri bikes with their constant changes in technology and proprietary parts.

Last edited by Crankycrank; 01-15-24 at 07:12 PM.
Old 01-15-24, 08:40 PM
VegasJen

I do have a K2 road bike with a CF front fork that, conveniently, has a similar color scheme. I checked it a little while ago and the Reynold wheel fits just fine on that fork. So looks like my project for next weekend is to swap forks between the Ridley and the K2. I don't expect it to be a permanent solution, but it will be a perfectly acceptable solution, until such time as I upgrade the bike or find a suitable aftermarket fork.
Likes For VegasJen:
Old 01-16-24, 12:28 AM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1948 Post(s)
Liked 1,472 Times in 1,020 Posts
Are you using "Crap" as a verb or a noun in the title?

New wheel or new fork. Removing a decal is not really going to help, because the wheels undergo some lateral deflection as you ride. I had to return a Time Fluidity frame to Time due to insufficient wheel clearance.
Likes For SoSmellyAir:
Old 01-16-24, 12:38 AM
Alan K

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 472 Post(s)
Liked 333 Times in 259 Posts
If removing sticker allows the wheel to move freely, it will not provide you sufficient clearance to use bicycle safely. Under the circumstances you have described, the least expensive and a safe option would be to find a fork that gives you a greater clearance. [I prefer around 3-5 mm on both sides of the tire.]
Old 01-16-24, 01:56 AM
choddo

Quoted: 682 Post(s)
Liked 453 Times in 338 Posts
Won’t the retailer take them back and sell you an alternative in the circumstances?
Old 01-16-24, 02:10 AM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4957 Post(s)
Liked 8,099 Times in 3,833 Posts
The compatibility between bikes and parts is ridiculously complex. This goes in the “experience is what you get just after you need it” file.
Old 01-16-24, 08:54 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2604 Post(s)
Liked 1,933 Times in 1,213 Posts
See if the shop will give you (reduced) trade value when you get smaller tires?
Old 01-16-24, 09:05 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6196 Post(s)
Liked 4,811 Times in 3,319 Posts
Changing out the fork might involve money that will be better spent on another bike for those wheels. Good forks are expensive.
Old 01-16-24, 09:09 AM
biker128pedal

Bikes: 2022 Fuel EX 8, 2021 Domane SL6, Black Beta (Nashbar frame), 2004 Trek 1000C for the trainer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 271 Post(s)
Liked 447 Times in 266 Posts
If the rear fits and has enough clearance I’d look for a replacement front wheel. Start with looking at the specified outside width. Looks like you got a more modern wheel set designed for wider tires. I feel for you. I bought a used aluminum frame during COVID and did not look up the maximum tire width. But now I have a trainer bike.

Last edited by biker128pedal; 01-18-24 at 10:52 AM.
Likes For biker128pedal:
Old 01-16-24, 09:40 AM
bboy314

Quoted: 332 Post(s)
Liked 744 Times in 386 Posts
Originally Posted by pdlamb
See if the shop will give you (reduced) trade value when you get smaller tires?
Its not clear but it appears the rim is what doesn’t have clearance with the curved fork blades.
Old 01-16-24, 09:41 AM
Barry2 
LR÷P=HR

Bikes: 1981 Holdsworth Special, 1993 C-dale MT3000 & 1996 F700CAD3, 2018 Cervelo R3 & 2022 R5, JustGo Runt, Ridley Oval, Kickr Bike 8-)

Quoted: 867 Post(s)
Liked 1,205 Times in 694 Posts
VegasJen ,
From your pic’s it appears that the distance between the forks tapers too quickly for the deep rim.
You might find that a 60mm (19mm internal width) might fit where what appears to be 80mm does not.
Are your Reynolds rims 80mm & 19mm internal (29mm external)
Both of Reynolds 60mm are 21mm external width.

A replacement front wheel may be cheaper than a fork.
A fork replacement that is not same for same can be difficult.
Any change in rake can cause the wheel to hit the down tube, or change the handling of the bike.

All the best

Barry
Likes For Barry2:
Old 01-18-24, 03:11 PM
wheelreason

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 634 Times in 374 Posts
Originally Posted by VegasJen
Couple weeks ago I bought a pair of Reynold carbon wheels for my tri bike. I was super excited to pick these up also because they would be my first experience with tubeless. Had to order some new tape, get some Orange Seal and a couple Schwalbe tubeless tires.. Took the time today to put everything together. All excited to mount them up. Everything was going great until I went to put the front in. That's when I found this.

You might be able to see it here as well.

Just the way the front fork of this Ridley is made. It has a leading edge which has plenty of clearance. But there's this trailing edge that has a much narrower clearance and I'm getting just the slightest bit of rubbing. In fact, if I removed the Reynold sticker, it *might* clear, but it might still rub on at least part of it as well. I haven't done anything yet since I literally just mounted it about an hour ago.

So now I'm considering my options. This is an older frame because I just don't often have cash for big ticket items like a whole new bike. I don't really want to attempt to modify either the fork or the wheel for obvious structural reasons. But the only other option I can imagine is replacing the entire fork/steerer tube with a different unit that has the clearance. I don't like this option from both an expense and an aesthetic perspective.

As I see it, these are my options, along with the related considerations.
1) remove the Reynolds sticker from the wheel. This would obviously be the cheapest and easiest solution, however, I'm not 100% sure there wouldn't be at least a tiny bit of interference even on the bare wheel. Then I would worry about damaging the integrity of the wheel.

2) modify the fork for clearance, either by grinding or shaping. I definitely don't want to grind for obvious structural reason. My preferred solution would be to reshape at least that one small section of the fork. I figure I need at most 2-3mm of clearance. But reshaping would have to be with some imprecise method like a hammer and drift. Then my concern is altering the alignment, parallel of the axle.

3) replacing the fork/steerer tube entirely. This would probably be the most sure way of solving the problem. It is also the most expensive way. I hate the idea of spending two or three hundred dollars on a new fork to clear a used carbon fiber wheel. Kind of defeats the purpose of buying used parts anyway.

I'm absolutely open to suggestions. If anybody has any idea, I'm happy to consider other alternatives.
4) Put the old wheels back on.
Likes For wheelreason:
Old 01-18-24, 03:24 PM
VegasJen

Originally Posted by wheelreason
4) Put the old wheels back on.
Of course that's an option, but it's kind of backwards option since the whole point was to upgrade the bike and switch to tubeless wheels. Not done investigating solutions though.

Earlier today I pulled the fork off the Ridley and the fork out of my K2 road bike. Good news is they're both pretty standard 1.125" straight steerer tubes. Bad news is the Ridley tube is about 3/4" shorter than the K2. I have them swapped on the bikes now but I had to put a good amount of spacer on the Ridley now to take up that extra tube. And I do have the K2 reassembled but that took almost an inch out of my stack on the handlebars. Don't know how much I'm going to notice that.

Honestly, the thing that bothers me the most is the different shades of white now. The Ridley is more of a pure white, but the forks from the K2 is kind of a silver white. At least I can figure out if this will all work for me, but there's just no way I can keep the K2 fork on the Ridley without it driving me crazy.
Old 01-18-24, 03:48 PM
choddo

Quoted: 682 Post(s)
Liked 453 Times in 338 Posts
So there’s no way to get the wheels switched by the seller to a narrower rim?
Old 01-18-24, 06:06 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,932 Times in 2,557 Posts
Jen, I haven't read all the posts. But I have been riding a bike when the fork failed JRA. Life changing and not in a good way.

Don't ride that! Rim rub or even just tire rub will remove CF fast. Either get a narrower wheel or a wider fork. (I'd ask about '80s/'90s racing and training wheels. Narrow was what they were. You can ride that until a fork falls into your lap.)
Old 01-19-24, 12:18 AM
VegasJen

Originally Posted by choddo
So there’s no way to get the wheels switched by the seller to a narrower rim?
Purchased used set from a private seller. I'm working on solutions. Got the K2 fork put on today only to discover the original 105 brake caliper(?) is too narrow for the wheel. I could let all the cable pressure off and the arms would not expand enough to not drag on the wheel. So now I'm scratching my head as to how I'm going to fix this new problem. I thought about trying to swap out the calipers from the K2, but they are the same size. So I took a look at my Roubiax and I'll be damned if those aren't wider calipers. So now I've put the 105 calipers that were on the Ridley on to the Roubiax and the calipers originally on the Roubiax on to the Ridley. Son of a b**** if I don't have all three bikes put back together. Close but no cigar. The K2 and Ridley are back together, with the new wheels on the Ridley. But the Roubiax is down now only because the cable end caps are 5mm and the caliper adjustment screws accept 4mm. Oh well. Probably due to replace those cable housings anyway. Already have a new Shimano cable set in my JensonUSA cart.
Old 01-19-24, 09:31 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3674 Post(s)
Liked 5,441 Times in 2,764 Posts
IIRC Larry has a spare set of wheels you might try.
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 01-19-24, 11:22 AM
VegasJen

Not sure who Larry is but I think I have this all sorted out. Not 100% sure on that yet, but feeling pretty confident at the moment.
Old 01-19-24, 01:37 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6972 Post(s)
Liked 10,970 Times in 4,692 Posts
I believe the OP has had me blocked for some time now, but will post this for posterity.

This post is a sort we see occasionally on bf among the 'penny wise, pound foolish' crowd: people who buy used gear, lots of it, without the knowledge to do so successfully. Some then end up with compatibility issues, fit problems, even broken items. If Jen had taken this bike to a shop and asked for a set of tubeless wheels, she would've rolled out with something that works properly -- and in the end, it might've actually cost her less money, because she wouldn't have had to then buy even more stuff in order to make it work correctly.

Again, penny wise, pound foolish.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 01-19-24, 09:09 PM
VegasJen

Originally Posted by Koyote
I believe the OP has had me blocked for some time now, but will post this for posterity.

This post is a sort we see occasionally on bf among the 'penny wise, pound foolish' crowd: people who buy used gear, lots of it, without the knowledge to do so successfully. Some then end up with compatibility issues, fit problems, even broken items. If Jen had taken this bike to a shop and asked for a set of tubeless wheels, she would've rolled out with something that works properly -- and in the end, it might've actually cost her less money, because she wouldn't have had to then buy even more stuff in order to make it work correctly.

Again, penny wise, pound foolish.
I do have you blocked but I thought I would give you a chance. Sure enough, you don't disappoint. Rather than being constructive, once again being critical.

Who here hasn't run into unexpected problems with an upgrade? Is it really that uncommon? Your solution is to throw money at it and let someone else figure it out. Well, chief, I'm that someone else that figures **** out. As of right now, I have a workable solution that has cost me exactly zero dollars and just a couple hours beyond my initial investment. Granted, that will go up a few dollars when I run new cables on my Roubiax, but as stated, it was probably about time anyway.

So 1) I've learned some stuff. 2) I've solved problems. 3) I have effectively upgraded my tri bike. 4) I saved a little money doing it myself.

And since you are just seeking things to be critical of, maybe I will post the results of my seat post modification. That will be kind of interesting to see how you can disparage that project as well.
Likes For VegasJen:
Old 01-19-24, 11:34 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,979 Times in 1,920 Posts
in the past when i was at a lbs grabbing some parts & conversing with a worker about a similar clearance ordeal of someone else's bicycle, they were able to gain enough clearance by swapping the end caps at the axle. It was not a huge change, but it was just enough.
Old 01-19-24, 11:41 PM
VegasJen

Originally Posted by Troul
in the past when i was at a lbs grabbing some parts & conversing with a worker about a similar clearance ordeal of someone else's bicycle, they were able to gain enough clearance by swapping the end caps at the axle. It was not a huge change, but it was just enough.
That might have worked but I'm OK with the solution I have right now. As it is, I feel comfortable with both bikes the way they are. I did ride the K2 today for 32 miles with absolutely zero problems. I didn't even really notice the change in stack that much. So I may very well leave the Air Foil fork on the K2 for the rest of time. I probably will try to replace the fork on the Ridley if only so I can match the paint. It's little stuff like that that will bug me.
Likes For VegasJen:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.