Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Bike Trailers

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-17, 12:15 AM
Mark Mandolin

Bikes: Home built Ebike, 2001 Diamondback bmx, Norco Katmandu hard tail mountain bike, 197? Apollo 10 speed road bike

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bike Trailers

I really expected to find a cargo trailer thread in Car free lifestyle thread. The trailer thread in family thread focused on child carriers.
I'm wondering if people use cargo trailers and what their experience is. Most likely I'll just buy a used kid trailer as the most cost efficient method. Quite surprised there are not more trailer threads as there are now a plethora of cargo trailers on the market. Some people go homemade and I am fascinated by the bike culture of the down and out (of which there are many) in downtown Vancouver.
Any response most welcome
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
20150209_141839-1.jpg (1.84 MB, 112 views)
Old 12-20-17, 12:31 AM
wipekitty
vespertine member

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 687 Post(s)
Liked 220 Times in 163 Posts
Check out the Utility subforum! There's a quite few threads on trailers, both prefab and DIY.

Personally, I'm using the Wike cargo trailer along with some storage totes for my hauling needs - I have had mine since I got rid of the family car nearly four years ago. The storage totes with lids are particularly nice for rain and snow. And, Wike is a Canadian company
Old 12-20-17, 02:07 AM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18378 Post(s)
Liked 4,512 Times in 3,354 Posts
Yep, I think there are several threads on trailers under the subforums:

https://www.bikeforums.net/living-car-free/
https://www.bikeforums.net/commuting/
https://www.bikeforums.net/utility-cycling/
https://www.bikeforums.net/touring/

Maybe other subforums too.

I've got a couple of trailers. I have a homebuilt custom cargo bike + trailer that I use for my heavy hauling and awkward loads. But, an ancient Burley trailer is the most common trailer that I use. The stroller bar on the trailer actually comes in handy for tying stuff to.

Old 12-20-17, 06:14 AM
Mark Mandolin

Bikes: Home built Ebike, 2001 Diamondback bmx, Norco Katmandu hard tail mountain bike, 197? Apollo 10 speed road bike

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you Wipekitty & Clifford K. I am navigating this site with a 5 year old Samsung pre galaxy model smartphone which doesn't like the mobile version of this site and habitually crashes on the full site version and this site has so much in it I guess I'm still figuring it out. Very inspiring pics Clifford. My pic taken at the very infamous intersection of Main and Hastings. The trailer is made up from a shopping cart and the owner gave permission to take pic but behind is the open air drug market so picture taking not popular so I rushed pic. I'll definitely check out those links.
Thanks again folks.

Update: Utility Sub forum. So true lots of stuff to read there and a lot of answers to my questions found already!
Happy Holidays All

Last edited by Mark Mandolin; 12-20-17 at 12:06 PM.
Old 12-20-17, 11:31 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Facebook has a bike trailer group too ..
Old 12-20-17, 02:16 PM
jefnvk

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
Every time I walk through Ikea, I get the idea of buying their bike trailer stuck in my head.

My biggest problem is if I buy it, I'll have to find a use for it, and what I may come up with scares me...
Old 12-20-17, 03:11 PM
KD5NRH

Bikes: 2010 Trek 7100

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 697 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by jefnvk
My biggest problem is if I buy it, I'll have to find a use for it, and what I may come up with scares me...
Lots of uses for trailers.
Old 12-20-17, 04:28 PM
MikeyMK
Cycleway town

Bikes: 2.6kw GT LTS e-tandem, 250w Voodoo, 250w solar recumbent trike, 3-speed shopper, Merlin ol/skl mtb, 80cc Ellswick

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 169 Times in 117 Posts
I used a Phillip's for the kid. Kiddy trailers are too hard for them really, i had a suspension one before, but it wasn't enough - so i bought one with a bathtub chassis and made a pair of huge alloy scissor leaf springs for it. Now floating on 5ins of travel, tailored for her weight, she would fall asleep in a matter of minutes in the thing (as seen here)..