Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+) > Pills and Ills
Reload this Page >

Foot problems and pedals

Search
Notices
Pills and Ills This is a discussion subforum for the health challenges faced by riders 50+. These discussions are in no way to be considered professional medical advice.

Foot problems and pedals

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-23, 01:33 PM
plumberroy

Bikes: Surly long haul trucker, Surly steamroller,Huffy Catalina, Univega Alpina 501. Gravity deadeye monster, Raliegh sport , Electra loft 1

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 607 Post(s)
Liked 298 Times in 181 Posts
Foot problems and pedals

In late 2020 they operated on my right foot. Between a bunion and bone build up from gout they took enough bone off my foot that it is a half inch narrower. May of 2022 they removed the sesamoid bones on the same foot. The joint where the big toe joins the foot does not bend titanium plate and screws. They want to do the left side. I have just got back to being able to ride this year. I find that I am running the pedals in the arch of my foot, instead of the balls of my feet because of tenderness. I have a set of inexpensive wide pedals ordered to try on mountain bike to hybrid/gravel conversion. Are wider pedals going to help me? I'm doing better as this is the first time since 2018 I have rode over 50 miles in a month and I am now over 120 miles for this year
Old 06-29-23, 01:44 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2242 Post(s)
Liked 3,443 Times in 1,802 Posts
That is hard to deal with. I would recommend finding the stiffest bike shoe available, because you want to prevent the foot from flexing. You will probably want to figure out what the best insoles would be, too, essentially to take all of the pressure off of those joints and other areas where bone tissue has been removed. Also, there is a school of thought that advocates riding with the pedal spindle under the arch of your foot. I think there are specific pedals made for that kind of thing, too.
Old 06-29-23, 01:54 PM
plumberroy

Bikes: Surly long haul trucker, Surly steamroller,Huffy Catalina, Univega Alpina 501. Gravity deadeye monster, Raliegh sport , Electra loft 1

Originally Posted by Polaris OBark
That is hard to deal with. I would recommend finding the stiffest bike shoe available, because you want to prevent the foot from flexing. You will probably want to figure out what the best insoles would be, too, essentially to take all of the pressure off of those joints and other areas where bone tissue has been removed. Also, there is a school of thought that advocates riding with the pedal spindle under the arch of your foot. I think there are specific pedals made for that kind of thing, too.
I usually ride in my work shoes which my pediatrist says are stiff enough. I am tending to ride with arch over the spindle, but it doesn't feel right I'm thinking (I know that is dangerous .) Wider pedals with spread the pressure over more area and move my feet back some on my pedals . New pedals just arrived I need to get them on and try them. If they help I will probably get 3 sets of good wide pedals for my Surly's
Old 06-29-23, 02:48 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2242 Post(s)
Liked 3,443 Times in 1,802 Posts
I've never tried these, but they might help you:

https://pedalinginnovations.com
Old 06-29-23, 03:16 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,932 Times in 2,557 Posts
Just a thought - shoe with a really stiff sole might be a large benefit. You could then build up under the good parts of your foot and have less under the sensitive areas. With that very stiff sole, you would have more options on where you place your foot on the pedal since its pressure will be distributed throughout the shoe. A shoe based on a carbon fiber or wood sole might be just the ticket. (With a leather upper and full length lacing so you have room to raise your foot .) I have no idea where this shoe might be found. Maybe a cobbler would have ideas.
Old 06-29-23, 05:03 PM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 896 Post(s)
Liked 2,065 Times in 1,081 Posts
If the OP wants pressure spread along the foot, then yes a stiff sole will help get that done. That's typical of a person with healthy feet.

OTOH, if he needs to avoid pressure on the ball of the foot, a different approach is needed. He's adapting now by moving feet forward, and that might be what's needed. Right-sized pedals, flexible shoes, and something like Power Grips that will allow foot placement to be forward, might be the ticket.
Old 06-30-23, 06:18 AM
smontanaro 

Bikes: many

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 1446 Post(s)
Liked 1,395 Times in 762 Posts
Maybe post on the Internet-bob Google Group, asking about midfoot pedaling. It comes up there from time-to-time. It definitely has its adherents.
Old 07-06-23, 06:15 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4560 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Check out iSSi Thump pedals. Generous platform, concave surface, very grippy even with the molded in pins (replaceable steel pin version available), and affordable. I've had a set on one bike for about five years, no problems or complaints. Great with almost any shoe, including my heavy leather winter boots.

To relieve pressure on sensitive parts of the foot, try ProFoot Miracle insoles. Best I've found. I've had foot problems since I was a kid -- narrow feet, high arches, very little natural padding over my walky bits -- and used to need custom orthotics. I've tried many off the shelf insoles and ProFoot Miracles are the best by far.

They aren't gel or memory foam. It's an ultralight foam that compresses and takes a set with use, conforming comfortably to the foot. Easy to trim to the desired size. They'll last six months to a year or longer, depending on usage and user weight. I usually get about a year in my walking shoes, and several years with my clipless cycling shoes. The ProFoot Miracles relieved hotspots better than anything else I tried.
Old 07-06-23, 08:51 PM
plumberroy

I've changed the pedals on my 3 Surly's that are similar to the pedals linked above. Two sets are Rockbros and I don't recall the brand of the third set. . I rode my steamroller 8.3 miles today . I usually ride in stiff soled shoes. I rode in Crocks today to see how much the wide pedals helped . They are definitely easier on my feet