Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+) > Pills and Ills
Reload this Page >

SVT ( Supraventricular Tachycardia)

Search
Notices
Pills and Ills This is a discussion subforum for the health challenges faced by riders 50+. These discussions are in no way to be considered professional medical advice.

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-23, 11:37 AM
justtrying

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 9 Posts

It is a sudden increase in your HR180+. Has anyone had experienced this? I am about to turn 70 and in May at the end of the 5 boro bike ride I check my apple watch and my HR was 201. Thinking the watch was wrong I nevertheless went to the medical test and it was in the 190s tests EKG etc and about a 1/2 hr later it was 120 and I went home and conferred w/ my Dr and said it was probably caused by several factors heat, it was warm, dehydration and the length of the ride. I then remembered that in the past few months before that 2 times my watch said my HR was at 191, which at that time I discounted as the watch messing up. Today about a1/2 hr into my ride I go to check the time and see my HR was at 184. Got off the bike and called my son to pick me up. Went to my Cardiologist he ran a few tests and is switching my BP medication to a metoprolol succinate. Wonder if anyone else has experienced this and how do you control your HR if you are on your bike moles from home
Old 08-02-23, 04:08 PM
philbob57

Bikes: frankenbike based on MKM frame

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 715 Post(s)
Liked 613 Times in 377 Posts
My HR can certainly go haywire even on a beta-blocker for high BP. I hated metoprolol. I have much more energy on atenolol (and a few other drugs). If you can't find any energy on met, mt reco would be to ask your doc to switch to a different beta blocker.
Old 08-03-23, 12:36 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4560 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
If the goal is just to reduce the heart rate, especially the maximum HR, ask your doctor about Coreg (carvedilol) instead. Unlike metoprolol and propranolol, carvedilol didn't wipe out my energy and make me too sluggish and drowsy to stay active. I tried other beta blockers years ago and couldn't function with them, even after giving myself a few months to adapt.

I tried it for about a year to reduce the incidence and severity of migraine, but it wasn't effective for that specific purpose so my doc switched me to oral Imitrex as needed, which works fine without side effects.

But during the year I used carvedilol I was able to stay active, cycling, jogging, walking, etc. It reduced my average HR about 10 bpm, and my maximum HR never approached my usual measured 173 bpm, or occasional higher spikes during migraines. So I adjusted my heart rate zones downward 10 bpm, including on my bike computer -- I have an audible alarm that warns me when I exceed a certain max HR so I'll know to stay within my limits for standard workouts. For occasional high intensity intervals I'll ignore the threshold alarm.
Old 08-03-23, 11:36 AM
justtrying

Thank you for your replies. As I also told my Dr that if I wasn’t active either cycling golfing work around the house or even in active conversation w/others I sometimes didn’t feel fully focused. Not light headed or dizzy just not fully there. I checked my riding log & the last 2 times it happened and on both occasions I was pushing it and going either faster and longer then normal. So I will take a little time off and be wary about pushing it
Old 08-03-23, 01:15 PM
skidder
Pennylane Splitter

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1804 Post(s)
Liked 1,444 Times in 993 Posts
I'm on metoprolol for SVT. Back when (I think) it first came up I would be out on a normal ride and couldn't quite catch my breath. I'd assume it was 'just age,' and call it a day. Slow ride home then take it easy for a while (read some BF ) and my pulse rate went back to normal. It hit me hard when I was at work one day, heart rate zoomed up and wouldn't come down, so 911 and off the hospital. I started out on the lowest dose available and have stayed at that level since that time with no recurrance. No issues with energy levels.
Old 08-03-23, 02:13 PM
justtrying

Originally Posted by skidder
I'm on metoprolol for SVT. Back when (I think) it first came up I would be out on a normal ride and couldn't quite catch my breath. I'd assume it was 'just age,' and call it a day. Slow ride home then take it easy for a while (read some BF ) and my pulse rate went back to normal. It hit me hard when I was at work one day, heart rate zoomed up and wouldn't come down, so 911 and off the hospital. I started out on the lowest dose available and have stayed at that level since that time with no recurrance. No issues with energy levels.
Thank you Skidder, I just started taking it today lowest dose (25mg). I am feeling tired today, manly because of the SVT yesterday.Completely mellowed out. Glad to hear the minimal dose is working for you. I guess I am spoiled because except for a few minor issues for a 70 yr old I been blessed w/ good health.