Search
Notices
Pills and Ills This is a discussion subforum for the health challenges faced by riders 50+. These discussions are in no way to be considered professional medical advice.

Gout

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-23, 11:31 AM
mackgoo

Bikes: 87 Bianchi X4, 95 Bianchi Ti Mega Tube, 06 Alan Carbon Cross X33, Gold plated Columbus AIR Guerciotti, 74 Galmozzi Super Competizione, 52 Bianchi Paris Roubaix.

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 259 Post(s)
Liked 540 Times in 166 Posts
Gout

Man, what a nightmare. 64 and just getting through it for the 1st time. I've been off the bike for3 weeks. Finally got a shoe on and went for a ride. At least my average speed was unchanged. My heart rate was +10 bpm though. For me I recently retired and in retirement I don't think I'm drinking enough water.
Old 08-07-23, 05:36 AM
boozergut

Bikes: Kona Dew, Gary Fisher Paragon, Salsa Campeon

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 128 Times in 81 Posts
Give up booze, eat less meat. Eat some apples. That was the key for me.
Old 08-07-23, 09:51 AM
HIPCHIP
Lance Legweak

Bikes: Felt Z-70, GT RTS-2

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 16 Posts
Gout is one of the most painful things I’ve ever experienced. Staying well hydrated can definitely help to keep from getting gout and getting rid of it. Ibuprofen can help, but if it gets bad I have used prednisone quite successfully. I also take colchicine, which is specifically designed for gout. All of the anti-gout medicines actually give me gout, so I can’t take any of it. Good luck figuring out what will work best for you. Gout doesn’t last on me for more than a week, so if you’d lasts longer try some of the meds I mentioned.
Likes For HIPCHIP:
Old 08-09-23, 10:42 AM
Bluejohn

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 7 Posts
Oh boy do I feel your pain. I was an avid all grain home brewer for years and had put together my own little brewery which had to go after my first big flare up.
I spent a lot of time learning how my gout responded to my diet/hydration and most of the time can keep it in check that way as I'm not a fan of taking any meds long term but frustratingly every now and then still get an occasional flare up out of the blue even when I've been doing all the right things.

I have found over the last couple of years, that if I feel a twinge coming on that ginger can be very effective in heading off a full blown flare up - I finely chop fresh root ginger and boil it for several minutes then strain off the liquid. It's good mixed with some sparking water like a cordial - I do this for 2-3 days and usually it settles it back down again quite well.
Old 08-09-23, 11:02 AM
boozergut

Originally Posted by Bluejohn
Oh boy do I feel your pain. I was an avid all grain home brewer for years and had put together my own little brewery which had to go after my first big flare up.
I spent a lot of time learning how my gout responded to my diet/hydration and most of the time can keep it in check that way as I'm not a fan of taking any meds long term but frustratingly every now and then still get an occasional flare up out of the blue even when I've been doing all the right things.

I have found over the last couple of years, that if I feel a twinge coming on that ginger can be very effective in heading off a full blown flare up - I finely chop fresh root ginger and boil it for several minutes then strain off the liquid. It's good mixed with some sparking water like a cordial - I do this for 2-3 days and usually it settles it back down again quite well.
Interesting, I was an all grain brewer for years as well. Still need to get rid of a lot of equipment.
Likes For boozergut:
Old 08-09-23, 11:44 AM
Bluejohn

Originally Posted by boozergut
Interesting, I was an all grain brewer for years as well. Still need to get rid of a lot of equipment.
I loved my brewing, I was a food scientist before a career change and as a hobby it satisfied my inner nerd. It hurt me to have to get rid of it all but I knew I had to go teatotal after my first flare up. I ended up trading my setup for fishing tackle so it wasn't a complete disaster. I also gave up shooting because most game is high in purines and since I only shot for the table it didn't seem worth hanging onto my rifles either.
Likes For Bluejohn:
Old 08-09-23, 12:05 PM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 967 Post(s)
Liked 1,631 Times in 1,047 Posts
Water, Water, Water... Fill up a 2 liter jug in the AM and make sure its empty before you go to bed. You will need that in addition to what ever water you are using in your rides or work. Many times its 10 PM and I look over at my water jug and its still full... RATS... Gonna be getting up tonight...

Also note that some times today's providers take short cuts and diagnose Gout without aspirating a painful joint. Just because your Uric Acid is high and you have a painful joint does not mean you have true gout.

The true old school diagnosis of gout is to aspirate a painful joint and observe what crystals that are in the fluid. Its more then just a blood test.

I see allot of gout patients. Especially with my old VA geezers who many of have been taking gout medications for decades and now have to back off due to renal problems. More then a few never had gout at all...
Old 08-10-23, 04:47 AM
boozergut

I loved my brewing, I was a food scientist before a career change and as a hobby it satisfied my inner nerd. It hurt me to have to get rid of it all but I knew I had to go teatotal after my first flare up. I ended up trading my setup for fishing tackle so it wasn't a complete disaster. I also gave up shooting because most game is high in purines and since I only shot for the table it didn't seem worth hanging onto my rifles either.
You must be a brother from another mother as I've given up hunting as well.
Likes For boozergut:
Old 08-10-23, 01:37 PM
Bluejohn

Originally Posted by boozergut
You must be a brother from another mother as I've given up hunting as well.
At least we can still ride our bikes
Likes For Bluejohn: