Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Bicycle Nirvana

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Bicycle Nirvana

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-10, 03:45 AM
009jim

Bikes: Giant CRX3, Trek 7100

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Bicycle Nirvana

This forum is full of heated debate about cyclists vs cars and I have some thoughts on this. If you live in a city where the facilities for cyclists are lacking then you'll find yourself having to share the road with cars. If significant numbers of cyclists become aggressive and demand more of the road, the car drivers, who are usually in a majority will likely not support initiatives that improve cycle amenities. However, where I live, we have a different scenario. Paths for cyclists are pretty good and getting better every year. Cyclists have plenty of room and most of us don't have any confrontation with cars. Also the car drivers don't have a problem because there are no cyclists delaying them. Hence, most motorists also support our city council initiatives to build better facilities for cycling. Even if they don't support it, they are probably neutral.

So my point is that it probably makes sense to be respectful and courteous around cars with the assumption that, over time, attitudes to cyclists will improve and this will lead to improvements like wider roads and extra lanes for cyclists. Eventually there will be less cars on the road if cycling is seen to be a pleasant alternative. Where I live, cycling is great fun. The gratings on the roads are bike friendly. Car drivers seem to make a real effort to protect cyclists from harm, and the city is building bridges and special tracks just for the cyclists.
Old 05-07-10, 08:16 AM
SCROUDS

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You're missing it. The main driver for more cycle facilities are more cyclists.

If you have lots of cyclists sharing the road, the drivers will support facilities to get them out of their way. There needs to be a spark, a start, and that's hardcore cyclists taking their right to the road. Facilities will follow the numbers.
Old 05-07-10, 08:20 AM
Bekologist
totally louche

Bikes: the ever shifting stable loaded with comfortable road bikes and city and winter bikes

Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
keep an eye on NYC. largest daily ridership of any city in north america. also, keep an eye on cities with high ridership like minneapolis, portland, vancouver BC, denver for trends in north american communities that support and encourage ridership.

nirvana was a grunge band.
Old 05-07-10, 09:13 AM
rando

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

No Bicycle Nirvana, but I managed to find Dave Grohl on a Harley.

Cyclists fare best when they recognize that there are times when acting vehicularly is not the best practice, and are flexible enough to do what is necessary as the situation warrants.--Me
Old 05-07-10, 03:54 PM
Artkansas 
Pedaled too far.

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Bekologist
nirvana was a grunge band.
I thought it was the street near San Diego, where all the automobile junk yards are.

Originally Posted by Bjforrestal
I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.

Last edited by Artkansas; 05-07-10 at 03:57 PM.
Old 05-07-10, 04:58 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Originally Posted by SCROUDS
You're missing it. The main driver for more cycle facilities are more cyclists.
Whether this has been true up 'til now or not, I think the main driver getting people out of cars and onto bikes ( for short, and especially for urban, trips ) is going to be the price of gasoline vs inflation.
Old 05-07-10, 06:18 PM
CommuterRun
Conservative Hippie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SCROUDS
If you have lots of cyclists sharing the road, the drivers will support facilities to get them out of their way. There needs to be a spark, a start, and that's hardcore cyclists taking their right to the road. Facilities will follow the numbers.
This is the de facto purpose of bicycle facilities. Moving bicycles out of the way of motor vehicles. Any safety enhancements they may add are merely coincidental.
Old 05-11-10, 09:49 PM
slagjumper

Bikes: Salsa Las Cruces, Burley R&R and a boat load of others.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Allocation of resources to car vs bike improvement is a great example of why the majority should not always get their way. On my commute there are times when cars pass me and I pass cars, but in the end I get home before I would if I took the car. What's the big deal? Delay and traffic go hand in hand. Patience is still a virtue. Motorists will have to adjust or their adrenal systems will release more cortisol and slowly kill their hearts.
Old 05-12-10, 06:57 PM
kludgefudge

Bikes: late 80's bianchi campion d'italia, early 90's trek 2100, early 90's shogun selectra, mid 90's aluminum marin xcMTB, dept. store grade but upgraded columbia double eagle tandem

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CommuterRun
This is the de facto purpose of bicycle facilities. Moving bicycles out of the way of motor vehicles. Any safety enhancements they may add are merely coincidental.
Buddy, just because Florida sucks and is, by the sounds of things, just about the least cycle friendly place in the whole goddamn world, does not mean the prime motivator for the implementation of cycling facilities everywhere is just to get bikes out of the way of cars. I admit that it may be true where you live, indeed the evidence in this case in in your favor, what with the new mandated bike lane use law etc, and thats a bad thing. The fact is though, that in more, *ahem* ,progressive areas of North America, the main reason bike infrastructure is implemented really is to make cycling a more realistic option for more people.
Old 05-13-10, 02:50 AM
CommuterRun
Conservative Hippie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by kludgefudge
Buddy, just because Florida sucks and is, by the sounds of things, just about the least cycle friendly place in the whole goddamn world, does not mean the prime motivator for the implementation of cycling facilities everywhere is just to get bikes out of the way of cars. I admit that it may be true where you live, indeed the evidence in this case in in your favor, what with the new mandated bike lane use law etc, and thats a bad thing. The fact is though, that in more, *ahem* ,progressive areas of North America, the main reason bike infrastructure is implemented really is to make cycling a more realistic option for more people.
No, it is true everywhere that in regards to bike lanes cyclist safety is merely coincidental. My position on the de facto purpose of bike lanes being to move cyclists out of the way of cars is not new. This is a position I have held for years. You can see that by going back through the archives and looking at some of my old posts. The recent passage of the bike lane only law in FL has no bearing on that.
Old 05-13-10, 07:09 AM
gcottay

Bikes: Trice Q; Volae Century; TT 3.4

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Actually, some dedicated facilities are designed by and for riders.
Old 05-13-10, 09:24 AM
SCROUDS

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think for this to be better understood, politics comes in to play. That includes everything, from soothing the ruffled motorist feathers to playing into the cycling constitutancy. It really is all about numbers. You need enough to capture attnetion. If you get other people on your side, that's better. Even if they are the pissed off motorists.
Old 05-13-10, 04:43 PM
CommuterRun
Conservative Hippie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gcottay
Actually, some dedicated facilities are designed by and for riders.
And I'm sure they are well meaning people.
Old 05-13-10, 05:24 PM
noisebeam
Arizona Dessert

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix, Lemond Poprad. Retired: Jamis Sputnik, Centurion LeMans Fixed, Diamond Back ascent ex

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 5345 Post(s)
Liked 2,169 Times in 1,288 Posts
And I'm sure they are well meaning people.
Who also motor and may think like motorists.