Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Any stretches of road worse than

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-13, 05:09 AM
bikenh

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 16 Posts

US50 Austin-Fallon, NV...in terms of resupply/water availability? From what I understand it makes it sound like US50 isn't that bad since you have Millgate Station(think I have the correct name) roughly halfway between the two towns. 50 miles worth of water isn't that bad of a carry, 100 miles is a bit more tricky and I would have to rethink my water hauling strategy around big time. I'm wandering if their is anyplace in the US that is worse than US50. Also I do understand it correctly that their is water available at Millgate Station? My trip this summer has the possibility that it may change drastically and I may end up doing Ely-Fallon if I do change the trip plans around and end up going roundtrip coast to coast. I hope I don't but it might happen and just trying to be prepared before I ever leave home.
Old 06-23-13, 09:56 AM
ironwood

Bikes: 1984 Bridgestone 400 1985Univega nouevo sport 650b conversion 1993b'stone RBT 1985 Schwinn Tempo

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 542 Post(s)
Liked 152 Times in 100 Posts
I once rode from near Joshua Tree NLM to Needles. I carried a lot of water, but it was downhilland I had a tailwind. I don't remember everything about that day, but I do remember a car slowing and the driver making a sign to indicate I was nuts. I also remember it was to hot to camp and I got a room w/AC. and there was an earthquake that night.

Have you seen pictures of Ian Hibble the great British cycle tourer with a Bedouin head dress pedaling across the desert?

What about doing it at night? There probably isn't much traffic, but the traffic there is is doing a 100mph.
Old 06-23-13, 04:35 PM
bikenh

Since I would be doing it to west, downhill most of the way I'm not to worried. I live in NH where the vertical is worth speaking of. The only problem might be the wind. I know I shouldn't have much riding the whole 104 miles between the two towns in around 6hours, providing I'm not hitting it with strong headwinds. The second I saw the immediate route ridewithgps was suggesting when I pointed and clicked on the start and finish location of the ride I pretty much knew that it had to be routing me down US50. I have heard the tale of the 100 miles between towns. After seeing the lack of topography it didn't leave me think all that much of it other than the photos that show it is a long 100 miles of wide open road...granted with some nice looking scenery at points. I know the water carrying is the main issue to be dealt with and that's why I was asking for sure at Millgate Station as that truly simplifies everything greatly. Hence also why I was asking about any other stretches of road that are as desolate as US50. I know I may end up doing plenty of travelling around out west over the next year or two and I'm just curious where I should be looking out for that might be problematic. It's simply a case of knowing ahead of time that way I can plan ahead of time to either avoid certain stretches or be prepared to deal with them. I know here in the eastern part of the country the only problem you really ever have to deal with is steep climbs, but you always have towns and intersections every 15-20 miles if not closer together than that so you don't really have to worry about carrying a lot of water with you. Out west is another story altogether though.
Old 06-23-13, 05:44 PM
boomhauer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 32 Posts
This was the best part of my cross country trip. You've got nothing to worry about. I did it when I was 27 yrs old and don't remember taking more than 3 (possilbly 4) bottles of water. I do remember something (like a bar) between the two towns where I got water but this was 20 yrs ago. Seems like there was a town on the map called Frenchman but this turned out to be nothing but a ***** house (trailer) with a big chain link fence around it. No water there. Seems like your bigger problem would be between Eureka and Ely if memory serves.
Old 06-25-13, 05:24 PM
mev
bicycle tourist

Bikes: Trek 520, Lightfoot Ranger, Trek 4500

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 476 Post(s)
Liked 264 Times in 178 Posts
Originally Posted by bikenh
US50 Austin-Fallon, NV...in terms of resupply/water availability?
I rode US50 earlier this month (https://www.bike2013.com/epilogue) including Fallon to Middlegate Station on June 3rd and Middlegate Station to Austin on June 4th. There is water at Middlegate station and place to camp. There is also water at Cold Springs 14 miles past Middlegate Station. The biggest gap I found on US 50 in Nevada was actually Eureka to Ely (77 miles). There was also a gap of 84 miles from NV/UT border to Hinckley near Delta, UT. Start early and watch the weather forecasts and you should be fine with some extra water. There are some good climbs over those summits which can add up if you end up with headwinds, but otherwise ok.

As far as "any place in US that is worse than US50" goes, US 50 really isn't that bad. For example, my original plan was to cut across old US 6/I-70 frontage road between Green River, UT and Fruita, CO. That gap seemed longer (~90 miles) and the weather forecast I had said >100F and strong cross winds. I decided to veer north and travel via US 40 instead since it might be ok, but the cross-winds concerned me. I'm sure there are other spots with larger gaps depending on your route.

Outside the USA, largest gap I've done is 286km in northern WA, Australia. It turns out there was water in that gap, but it wasn't a certainty when I set off. A guideline that worked for me on that trip was 1 liter per 20km plus two liters for an overnight, so I left Roebuck roadhouse with 18 liters of water just to be safe. There are also longer gaps in Alaska but I've been able to purify along the way. Once you leave the pavement, the gaps can also increase.
Old 06-25-13, 06:15 PM
bikenh

Actually in the past day or two I have really been looking at the route that ridewithgps.com suggested as the route when clicking on the 'start' point/Big Spring,TX and the end point/CA/OR border at the Pacific Ocean. I see it has several 80 mile long stretches without towns being listed. I have seen Eureka-Ely(77 miles), Page, AZ-Kanab, UT(just short of 75 miles), Pioche, NV-Ely, NV(quite possibly over 100 miles???, gotta examine this one closer). I haven't checked out the possible one down in New Mexico but I think they aren't more than 50 miles apart anywhere down that way on into eastern AZ. Hopefully I will be smart enough to not even try to ride round trip coast to coast. My mind can't handle that idea but for some reason unless something happens by the time I get to TX that I may very well, no matter what, going coast to coast round trip and end going down US50. I have been watching several of the videos over the past hour or so and they make me want to do it even more. Its just something about the radical difference between the eastern landscape and the western landscape that draws me to the area.

I saved your webpages, all 3 of them. You and raybo both do nice write ups with photos. I'm going to take a look at them when I get home. I know with the possible route home I will go through the tunnel going up Wolf Creek Pass. That would be a first. I'm VERY use to riding across covered bridges here in VT/NH but haven't ever ridden through a tunnel yet. I'm surprised they have the button to alter drivers of cyclists going through the tunnel. I saw that much of your site already. Couldn't miss that no matter how hard I tried.

Last edited by bikenh; 06-25-13 at 06:25 PM.