Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Rear White Flashing Lights To Become New Standard In Safety?

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-14, 11:13 PM
Saving Hawaii

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Bill Text -

This one's a little problematic. The author proposes eliminating the existing requirement for a rear red reflector and replacing it with a requirement for a white flashing light. That or "reflective gear worn by the bicyclist". I imagine this goes nowhere or gets fixed if it somehow does.

The positive is that nobody will want to do anything that doesn't involve pulling at group rides, lest they be staring into 20 strobing magicshines...
Old 12-08-14, 11:53 PM
SalsaShark

Bikes: 2014 Trek Allant drop bar conversion, modified Schwinn MTN commuter, 2015 Trek 520, Soma ES, Salsa Journeyman, 1980 Trek 414

Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked 355 Times in 166 Posts
White lights are meant to universally portray the oncoming side of a vehicle (be it white headlights, or white reverse lights). This seems to add unwarranted confusion to the roadway. What is the problem with red lights in the rear? We are not trying to light up the roadway behind us, are we? I understand the benefits of staying visible on the road at night (and use many lights both red and white myself) but would hesitate going against traditional lighting techniques that are already seared into the brains if the collective motorists.
Old 12-09-14, 12:13 AM
prathmann

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
I wouldn't worry too much about this ever becoming a law. It was introduced in the California state assembly by a newly elected member and hasn't even had any committee hearings yet. As mentioned above there are lots of issues with white lights facing forward and this proposal doesn't seem to have had much thought or discussion behind it.

However, if there is a more concerted push for more required lighting on cyclists I could see this being amended to instead specify that a red rear light be required for night time operation rather than the current requirement for only a red reflector. That's already required in some other states but in California the use of a red rear-facing light is optional.
Old 12-09-14, 01:01 AM
Saving Hawaii

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I wouldn't have any problem with a rear red light law here.

Just thought the proposal was pretty silly.
Old 12-09-14, 10:35 AM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 1,678 Times in 827 Posts
Next he'll suggest watering the crops with a sports drink...sheer "Idiocracy". I smell some one legislating a market into being so that insiders and cronies can make money meeting the regulation while obsoleting existing equipment and infrastructure requiring every body to buy new equipment. This, I believe is California's number one industry.
Old 12-09-14, 10:36 AM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 1,678 Times in 827 Posts
BTW, Here's the proposal and some of the CA bike code.:
Bill Text - AB-28 Bicycle safety: rear lights.
Old 12-09-14, 10:38 AM
Shimagnolo

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3376 Post(s)
Liked 5,518 Times in 2,860 Posts
Originally Posted by BobbyG
Next he'll suggest watering the crops with a sports drink...sheer "Idiocracy".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Vw2CrY9Igs
Old 12-09-14, 10:39 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,699 Times in 2,519 Posts
school buses have white flashing lights on the rear when they are being driven at night
Old 12-09-14, 02:18 PM
spare_wheel

Bikes: NA

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
I like the idea of cyclists using white lights front and back. The visual jolt of not seeing another red tail light should improve recognition of cyclists by oncoming or overtaking motorists. We are more vulnerable than other road users so it absolutely makes sense that we be differentiated from motor vehicles.
Old 12-09-14, 02:41 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18378 Post(s)
Liked 4,512 Times in 3,354 Posts
White or red probably doesn't make a big difference. It would be nice to have all the lights the same, so a spare could work in the front or back.

However, I don't see any reason to change red from the "standard". And flashing red seems distinctive enough. Certainly one doesn't want to annoy drivers, or blind drivers (no using my headlight in flash mode on the rear).

I think I saw elsewhere where it was suggested to use a completely different color such as flashing blue or green. But, of course, the police already use blue.
Old 12-09-14, 03:06 PM
joeyduck

Bikes: 1997 Kona Hahana Race Light, 2010 Surly LHT(deceased), 1999 Rocky Mountain Turbo

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I followed a guy with w bright white light on the back of his helmet the other week. It was awful. Blinding and distracting. I could hardly see after I passed him. I think it is a horrible idea.
Old 12-09-14, 03:55 PM
KD5NRH

Bikes: 2010 Trek 7100

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 697 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by unterhausen
school buses have white flashing lights on the rear when they are being driven at night
And I have nipples. Doesn't mean they're good for anything.
Old 12-09-14, 04:57 PM
Shimagnolo

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3376 Post(s)
Liked 5,518 Times in 2,860 Posts
Originally Posted by KD5NRH
And I have nipples. Doesn't mean they're good for anything.

Why do men have nipples?
It's God's way of saying: "You don't have them, but if you did, they'd be right there."

-- The comedian Gallagher
Old 12-09-14, 06:44 PM
Matariki
Not quite there yet

Bikes: A bunch of old steel bikes + an ICE trike

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I worry that motorists face so many red lights so often in traffic that red lights on the back of a bike, flashing or continuous, would blend in with all of the others. White lights would certainly be a bad idea, but what about amber? It is the standard to indicate caution, would be different from the sea of red tail and brake lights, and with growing use may be associated with bikes?
Old 12-09-14, 11:34 PM
SBinNYC

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
There's a reason red is used for rear lights. Seeing a red rear light up ahead does not destroy night vision. Here's a link that describes the phenomenon. Flashlight Reviews and LED Modifications

It's the reason that photo dark rooms used a red light. It wasn't that exposed film was immune to red light. It allowed the dimmest light to be used so as not to expose the film.

The other problem is a flashing light. It can trigger epilepsy.

Photosensitive epilepsy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Flashing lights are banned on PBP. The ACP's rationale was the flashing hypnotizes the riders and makes them less alert. The epilepsy angle may be the cause.
Old 12-10-14, 12:11 AM
jputnam

Bikes: Custom 531ST touring, Bilenky Viewpoint, Bianchi Milano, vintage Condor racer

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by unterhausen
White flashing lights on school buses would be illegal here in Washington State, and in many other states that regulate the color and position of vehicle lighting.

Any white light to the rear is a hazard to the vehicle displaying it, since it misleads other road users as to the direction of travel. White belongs in the front, red in the back, with exceptions only for emergency services vehicles for which other users are supposed to pull off the roadway.

Bicyclists are particularly vulnerable road users, so cyclists should be especially concerned with other road users being able to identify where we are and which way we're heading. Requiring only cyclists to mislead other road users seems either very ill-considered or intentionally malicious.
Old 12-10-14, 02:58 AM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18378 Post(s)
Liked 4,512 Times in 3,354 Posts
Of course there are "wrong way" cyclists.

I could imagine approaching a wrong-way cyclist with a flashing white light and thinking oh, cool, I'm overtaking a rider... only to slam head-on into them, or require emergency evasive action.

Or, have a car that sees a wrong-way cyclist, and thinks the rider is already past, and pulls out right in front of them.

Amber is used on many European cars for rear turn signals and hazard lights, so it isn't that much more distinctive than red taillights.

One thing that sets bycycles apart from other traffic is generally using higher frequency flashing.

There were several tests conducted before the widespread adoption of the cyclops brake lights. Even so, there are questions if the statistics were higher during the adoption phase than what is now being observed.

Is this white light thing going into law without any scientific research? Or, do we just consider LA as a test-city?
Old 12-10-14, 03:26 AM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5792 Post(s)
Liked 2,581 Times in 1,431 Posts
Originally Posted by Matariki
I worry that motorists face so many red lights so often in traffic that red lights on the back of a bike, flashing or continuous, would blend in with all of the others. White lights would certainly be a bad idea, but what about amber? It is the standard to indicate caution, would be different from the sea of red tail and brake lights, and with growing use may be associated with bikes?
+1,

I've been using a flashing amber for decades, though for the last 5 years replaced it with a flashing blue. Neither is legal in NYS, but it's never been an issue. I prefer these because they appear brighter at the same wattage and contrast better with what other lights are out there.

Once, many years ago a cop stopped me over the amber strobe. These are supposed to indicate stationary hazards like holes on the ground. I explained that I felt amber made more sense for a bicycle because given the relative speed of the bike and a car coming from behind, I might as well have been stationary and wanted the car to react accordingly. The cop was fine with that.

If I made law, I'd make flashing amber th standard for bicycles and all slow moving vehicles, but you don't have to worry since I don't make laws.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 12-10-14, 06:53 AM
asmac

Bikes: Salsa Vaya

Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Actually, older b/w film and paper was not sensitive to red light. It was called "orthochromatic" and resulted in blank blue skies and dark rendition of red tones. "Panchromatic" materials are sensitive to all colours and must be handled in complete darkness.

Most modern b/w photo papers (is that an oxymoron?) are not sensitive in the amber range and use a specific darkroom light in that colour.

Last edited by asmac; 12-10-14 at 04:17 PM.
Old 12-10-14, 08:36 AM
genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 13658 Post(s)
Liked 4,532 Times in 3,158 Posts
I used amber light for years... I had three belt beacons on an aluminum plate attached to the back of my seat.

I felt the amber light made me stand out, and the somewhat random pattern of three blinking lights ensured that it would catch the eye of just about any motorist.

These days I run with three red lights... a PB super flash, with it's unique flashing pattern, a nite rider 24 LED tail light... on steady, and a small blinkie on the back of my helmet.

The odd flashing patterns, plus the hi-low positioning, I think make me quite visible.

I think white would be confusing, but an amber light makes sense to me... anything to make motorists look twice.

In front I run a blinking LED as a "see me" light, along with a nite rider classic halogen lamp that gives me "see the road" lighting.

I believe the big key is flashing lights, and lots of them... of course this is all dependent on where and how you ride... I ride on 45 and 50 MPH arterial roads through commercial areas at night... I want to stand out like the alien mothership.
Old 12-10-14, 08:40 AM
Coal Buster

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by FBinNY
+1,

I've been using a flashing amber for decades, though for the last 5 years replaced it with a flashing blue. Neither is legal in NYS, but it's never been an issue. I prefer these because they appear brighter at the same wattage and contrast better with what other lights are out there.

Once, many years ago a cop stopped me over the amber strobe. These are supposed to indicate stationary hazards like holes on the ground. I explained that I felt amber made more sense for a bicycle because given the relative speed of the bike and a car coming from behind, I might as well have been stationary and wanted the car to react accordingly. The cop was fine with that.

If I made law, I'd make flashing amber th standard for bicycles and all slow moving vehicles, but you don't have to worry since I don't make laws.
The human eye is most sensitive to the spectral line produced by sodium vapor lamps. Amber LEDs peak at that line (590nm).
Old 12-10-14, 08:46 AM
KD5NRH

Bikes: 2010 Trek 7100

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 697 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK
Is this white light thing going into law without any scientific research? Or, do we just consider LA as a test-city?
Can we build a big, impenetrable dome over it to protect the experiment from outside influences?
Old 12-10-14, 08:55 AM
Wanderer
aka Phil Jungels

Bikes: 08 Specialized Crosstrail Sport, 05 Sirrus Comp

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 60 Posts
Better check DOT regulations. It's illegal. Could get you a ticket, or place blame in a crash.....
Old 12-10-14, 09:22 AM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5792 Post(s)
Liked 2,581 Times in 1,431 Posts
Originally Posted by Wanderer
Better check DOT regulations. It's illegal. Could get you a ticket, or place blame in a crash.....
If you mean that the state law is in conflict with Federal law and regulations, then it won't be the first time. I can think of much more significant conflicts that are playing out all over the country.

Meanwhile, unless the Feds are going to start patrolling the roads, who would issue a citation for the federal violation.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 12-10-14, 09:29 AM
Wanderer
aka Phil Jungels

Bikes: 08 Specialized Crosstrail Sport, 05 Sirrus Comp

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 60 Posts
Local cops do it all the time, under CFR............ as most moving violation tickets are written under CFR.

Why give a cop a reason to stop you********** A white tail light will do that, and tickets are frequently written just because of broken red lenses.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.