Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

where to ride on the road

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-14, 07:26 AM
tycobb73

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

When you're riding with traffic and a car is behind you do you move over onto the shoulder, even off the pavement? I've always felt this was the thing to do even if i felt unsafe doing it because it meant going into uneven terrain or letting cars pass very close to you. What is the right thing to do? Should i use more of the lane?
Old 12-13-14, 08:16 AM
El Cid

Bikes: Surly Krampus

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Letting cars move along is nice when you can do it, but don't be afraid to use the whole lane if you need. There are going to be times that cars can't pass safely and are just going to have to wait.

You could probably be polite and move aside most of the time, but don't put yourself in danger for it.
Old 12-13-14, 08:17 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
No I do not!!! In the event that I see that when cars cant pass and several are piled up, I will pull over if safe to do so.
Old 12-13-14, 08:34 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,584 Times in 2,344 Posts
can you show us pictures of your roads?
Old 12-13-14, 08:44 AM
tycobb73

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm going out in a few hours. I'll snap a picture.
Old 12-13-14, 10:23 AM
lostarchitect 
incazzare.

Bikes: See sig

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 38 Posts
Depends on the road. If it has a wide shoulder I'd probably be over there in the first place. If the shoulder is narrow, I'll move over if it looks safe. If there is any doubt I'll stay in the lane until I know it's safe. They can wait.
Old 12-13-14, 10:37 AM
SBinNYC

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
You should start to answer your question by finding out what the local law is.
Old 12-13-14, 10:51 AM
Fargo Wolf
Resident smartass.

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
It depends on the situation with me. If I'm on a main road, yes, I will move over to the right and let traffic go. At other times, I will take the lane because it's safer, such as when I pass through road construction, or over a bridge.
Old 12-13-14, 11:49 AM
Mark Stone
Tractorlegs

Bikes: Schwinn Meridian Single-Speed Tricycle

Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 42 Posts
Originally Posted by Fargo Wolf
It depends on the situation with me. If I'm on a main road, yes, I will move over to the right and let traffic go. At other times, I will take the lane because it's safer, such as when I pass through road construction, or over a bridge.
↑↑↑↑ This. There's too many variables to answer the OP question. Different roads, different circumstances, different speed limits, door zone considerations, visibility, time of day, etc.etc. Every decision as to whether to take the lane or move over is made at the time with all the variables in mind. There's no hard and fast rule.
Old 12-13-14, 04:32 PM
tycobb73

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here is pretty much what the roads are like all the way through. Here is also a picture of my bike. I'm going to get my road bike of roughly the same age up and running shortly. I realized I'm going to need to dodge potholes every now and then. I rode along the center of the lane today and most cars passed on the other side of the double yellow, which I just assumed was illegal. Hardly any cars are on this road as I encountered about 10 on a 1.5 hour ride. The fog was pretty thick. Good thing for the color of my bike. No flat land, constantly rolling hills but not the mountains.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
1213141655.jpg (99.9 KB, 61 views)
File Type: jpg
1213141544.jpg (50.2 KB, 124 views)
Old 12-13-14, 04:45 PM
CrankyOne

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 358 Post(s)
Liked 48 Times in 35 Posts
That's ugly. Speed limit? Actual speed cars drive? How heavy of traffic? What state?

I'd avoid a road like that if possible unless cars drive quite slow and there are very few of them. The combination of no bikeway or shoulder and double yellow is nasty. In any case I'd likely be well in to the lane to make sure that when cars do pass they only do so when it's safe for them to move to the other lane. Around here if I rode close to the edge on that road I'd get some folks trying to pass without going over the double yellow line even if that meant their side mirror hitting my elbow.
Old 12-13-14, 05:12 PM
tycobb73

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It's Michigan farm country. Not many cars which is why it was appealing to me. About 1 every 5 or 10 minutes. Sometimes i can smell the cows. Speed is probably 40~50 mph. I guess instead of being courteous i need to be out in the middle so they see me. I also have a paved rail trail but sometimes you want a change.
Old 12-13-14, 05:21 PM
Chris516
24-Speed Machine

Bikes: 2003 Specialized Allez 24-Speed Road Bike

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
If there are several 'motorized' vehicles behind me, I keep 'taking the lane'. Not just because it is my right. But also because, they should only pass when it is safe to do so.

Also, A motorist can't accurately see the right side of their vehicle. Because they can't see through the passenger-side door. So I 'take the lane' to ward off the 'close pass'.

I normally ride on roads with speed limits no greater than 40mph

Last edited by Chris516; 12-13-14 at 06:13 PM.
Old 12-13-14, 05:36 PM
CrankyOne

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 358 Post(s)
Liked 48 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by tycobb73
I also have a paved rail trail but sometimes you want a change.
For me I'd take the trail every time no matter how boring. A road like that with cars traveling that fast and not expecting to see (or not see) someone riding a bicycle is not something I'd ever want to be on.

You should press your county (assuming county road?) to put in a MUP alongside this road.
Old 12-13-14, 05:41 PM
tycobb73

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Most people would be happy if the county would fix the pot holes.
Old 12-13-14, 07:01 PM
Worknomore

Bikes: Serotta CRL, Litespeed Blue Ridge, Bacchetta Ti Aero, Cannondale delta V, 67 Schwinn Sting Ray stick shift.

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by tycobb73
It's Michigan farm country. Not many cars which is why it was appealing to me. About 1 every 5 or 10 minutes. Sometimes i can smell the cows. Speed is probably 40~50 mph. I guess instead of being courteous i need to be out in the middle so they see me. I also have a paved rail trail but sometimes you want a change.
Looks like the roads where I ride most of the time. I take the lane.
Old 12-13-14, 10:07 PM
B. Carfree

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 509 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
That looks like a lot of the roads I ride. The guiding principle is to not try to share a lane with a motorist unless the lane is wide enough to do so safely. That one isn't, therefore you need to take the lane (ride somewhat centered in it). However, if there is a safe place to allow a pass, go ahead and facilitate it.
Old 12-13-14, 10:47 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18378 Post(s)
Liked 4,512 Times in 3,354 Posts
I'd normally just ride to the right... 1 to 2 feet from the edge of the pavement, sometimes less.
Assuming infrequent cars, and good visibility, there is no reason to go into the dirt.

Sometimes I'll be a bit more in the middle of the lane until I see/hear a car coming.
Old 12-14-14, 03:10 PM
Mr. Hoopdriver
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Back East I rode many of these shoulder-less "blue highway" roads.
I say, take the lane until you're sure they see you, then ease back to the right as much as you feel comfortable.

It's funny.. at first the folks in the car will exclaim: "What an A-HOLE!"
And then: "...ohh OK, he's moving over... "
Then they slow down, because... evidently, you're not really an A-hole/
Old 12-15-14, 12:47 AM
Nunymare

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If the potholes are spread out along the road tbh I'd take the whole lane. Last thing I'd want is to be squished into a pothole ridden section of the road by a car who passes too closely. And of course if there are cars on the other oncoming lane and you don't feel like there's enough room for the car to pass you within the same lane, just take it. They can wait.
Old 12-15-14, 12:49 AM
Nunymare

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CrankyOne
That's ugly. Speed limit? Actual speed cars drive? How heavy of traffic? What state?

I'd avoid a road like that if possible unless cars drive quite slow and there are very few of them. The combination of no bikeway or shoulder and double yellow is nasty. In any case I'd likely be well in to the lane to make sure that when cars do pass they only do so when it's safe for them to move to the other lane. Around here if I rode close to the edge on that road I'd get some folks trying to pass without going over the double yellow line even if that meant their side mirror hitting my elbow.
I'm wary about these roads too. Sometimes people drive way too fast. Riding near the edge I'd be wary of going into the grass as well (roads where I am have gravel on the sides sometimes - very dangerous).
Old 12-15-14, 08:19 AM
spivonious

Bikes: 2012 Trek Allant, 2016 Bianchi Volpe Disc

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'd ride in the right tire track and watch my mirror for cars. Unless traffic was light, I'd find other roads to ride on. Narrow + 50mph != fun ride.
Old 12-15-14, 09:57 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,584 Times in 2,344 Posts
I would ride 6 inches in from the edge of the pavement. I would also add a bright rear facing strobe. Front light of some kind too.
Old 12-15-14, 01:39 PM
ItsJustMe
Señior Member

Bikes: Windsor Fens, Giant Seek 0 (2014, Alfine 8 + discs)

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 446 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
I ride in exactly those situations - in Michigan, mostly farm country. Ride in the lane, right tire track or left if the right side is messed up. I find that people change lanes to pass me and never give me any trouble. There are so few cars that it's rare that they can't just pull into the other lane. There's certainly no reason to pull off the road.

My rule is, if someone is behind me for more than about 10 seconds, I'll pull off to let them over. So far I've ridden close to 35,000 miles in 11 years and I've done that about 4 times. Two of those were within 3 minutes of one another, and happened because some idiot car driver in the oncoming lane was doing about 15 MPH in a 50 zone, and had (seriously) a 2 mile line of cars behind her. Even though I was riding in a shoulder, the cars behind me were so freaked out by the weird occurance that they refused to pass me - they could have done so with a good 5 feet of clearance. I just stopped and let them past.
Old 12-15-14, 02:19 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Right tire track.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.